Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

LIDL applying for planning permission to knock their own store and former Chadwicks store on Childers Road and rebuild one big LIDL.

Sounds ambitious!

I'd love to see a Lidl or Aldo in the centre of town. It amazes me there's no decent supermarket in the Upper O'Connell Street area. Gleesons spar shops are doing great business, so there's more than likely a market for a supermarket like Lidl or Aldi there.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

yes, lets build Aldi in town, because we have too many parking places in there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

Sounds like a big lidl instead of a little lidl !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

Ok gotta jump on here we have plenty of parking in this city just not on the streets. 8 multi storey within 5 mins walk of the city centre. So you can't park outside the shop you want you never could anyway remember doing the 3 block loop roches street to William with my dad looking for parking in the 80s we didn't have it than either.

The utter laziness of people when it comes to parking drives me nuts. Personally would love Aldi or Lidl to set up in town

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Other big cities have Lidl and Aldi in the centre. Parking not seen as a necessity as it serves the people all living in the area. People in Ireland hate having to walk a few hundred metres from a car park.

When it comes to parking even in places with big car parks like the big dunnes and Tescos outside in the suburbs people refuse to park more than 20 yards from the door and prefer to park illegally in wheelchair spaces, parent and child spaces and also on yellow lines or up on on curbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

sioda wrote: »
    Ok gotta jump on here we have plenty of parking in this city just not on the streets. 8 multi storey within 5 mins walk of the city centre. So you can't park outside the shop you want you never could anyway remember doing the 3 block loop roches street to William with my dad looking for parking in the 80s we didn't have it than either.

The utter laziness of people when it comes to parking drives me nuts. Personally would love Aldi or Lidl to set up in town

There's plenty of on-street parking available too. Off the top of my head you can park on Ellen Street, Michael Street, Patrick Street, William Street, Upper William Street, Gerald Griffin Street, Roches Street, Parnell Street, O'Connell Street, Lower Bedford Row, Catherine Street, Glentworth Street, Cecil Street, Mallow Street, Pery Street, Pery Square, Harstonge Street.

That's just in the immediate city centre area! It's an absolute fallacy that there is a lack of car parking in the Limerick city centre. Those who claim this are either being dishonest or else have never actually parked a car in town!

I'd go as far as to argue that there is too much street space dedicated to parking at the expense of pedestrians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Looks like the old Atlantic Homecare is currently being fitted and the to let signs are coming down. Any word on who is going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mr.H wrote: »
    Looks like the old Atlantic Homecare is currently being fitted and the to let signs are coming down. Any word on who is going in there?

Kebab shop superstore??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Well, a lot of people, myself included. live in the city centre and we would be the market for a Lidl or Aldi. Parking is not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Mr. Price opening in Annacotty? Where would it even go? More Newtown direction maybe?

http://www.mrprice.ie/page/careers/46

• Advertisement

Re parking in the city, someone once said to me "We don't buy microwavable food for the taste, we buy it for the convenience and time it saves us."

I have no problem paying for parking in the city because it's convenient and saves me time. Sure the Crescent is free parking but I have to spend time going out there (drive through the city centre) and then there's the cost of petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Mr. Price opening in Annacotty? Where would it even go? More Newtown direction maybe?

http://www.mrprice.ie/page/careers/46

They're going into the old Co-op building.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Mr.H wrote:

Nandos? :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

UL have bought the Parkpoint centre on the Dublin Road for less than €4 million. There doesn't seem to be a plan for what will open there but they probably couldn't pass up such a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

pigtown wrote: »
    UL have bought the Parkpoint centre on the Dublin Road for less than €4 million. There doesn't seem to be a plan for what will open there but they probably couldn't pass up such a great deal.

From what I understand it's cheaper for them to buy buildings in the area than to build. Also it was bought by the company what owns the student villages, which I assume is a cash cow that they can't use for anything but accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

The old Methodist Church/Central Cinema building on Bedford has been sold and the Art Gallery has vacated. Looks like there might be something going in there.
    I believe the owner of the Lock Doctor franchise has bought this building. Whether Lock Doctor will end up in there is another question, hopefully not!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Townie_P wrote: »
    I believe the owner of the Lock Doctor franchise has bought this building. Whether Lock Doctor will end up in there is another question, hopefully not!

Jesus i hope that lock doctor doesn't open there a total waste

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

New nightclub and bar opening in the granary crush closing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I saw some kind of work going on in that empty building next to Smyths toy store on Childers road - was it Atlantic homecare or some such garden centre type thing at one stage. Anyone any ideas what's supposed to be going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I saw some kind of work going on in that empty building next to Smyths toy store on Childers road - was it Atlantic homecare or some such garden centre type thing at one stage. Anyone any ideas what's supposed to be going in there?

It's definitely Nando's or else Five Guys (with a Marks and Spenser's opening behind, enter via the halting site)

• Advertisement

It's definitely Nando's or else Five Guys (with a Marks and Spenser's opening behind, enter via the halting site)

Oooooo, is there going to be an Iceland too? Nice one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Oooooo, is there going to be an Iceland too? Nice one. :D

Not Iceland, I have it on good authority from a mate in the council that it's Disneyland, experts predict that the traffic at peak hours is apparently going to be the exact same, it'll still take you a half an hour to get into Childers road retail park/Disneyland from the Tipp road roundabout.

Not Iceland, I have it on good authority from a mate in the council that it's Disneyland, experts predict that the traffic at peak hours is apparently going to be the exact same, it'll still take you a half an hour to get into Childers road retail park/Disneyland from the Tipp road roundabout.

Jaysus, that's me sorted!:pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

But only because most people will be getting there via monorail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Starbucks should be open in on Thomas Street soon enough. They were tiling it when I passed the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Yay, another coffee shop! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Had a look at Atlantic Homecare tonight. Red Van parked at door, windows all blacked out, lights weren't on but were on out the back. There was planning permission sign on wall but as it was Cold and Windy I wasn't getting out.

If somebody is not so lazy maybe they can find out what it says. :pac:

I can only find a planning application to sub divide the Atlantic Homecare space. From a couple of years ago though and has been withdrawn.

http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/13770116/0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

seachto7 wrote:
    Yay, another coffee shop!

One that is opened after 5pm in the evening and doesn't have Live 95Fm, the sh*ttiest radio station of all time, blaring out at you. Can't wait for Starbucks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

bigpink wrote: »
    New nightclub and bar opening in the granary crush closing

Saw that Trinity Rooms were recruiting staff recently.

Hopefully they are rebranding back to Trinity Rooms and in the process gutting the interior.

Crush is awful tacky.

Trinity Rooms when it first opened was class. The place is a dump these days.

Advertisement