Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

panda100 wrote: »
    One that is opened after 5pm in the evening and doesn't have Live 95Fm, the sh*ttiest radio station of all time, blaring out at you. Can't wait for Starbucks!

Interesting way to get a dig at 95fm there.
    I have frequented many of the coffee shops in town for many years and can never in all that time recall having it blaring out at me.
    If Starbucks did good coffee I'd be fine with it. They don't so I'll likely never darken their door, I haven't had a problem avoiding Costa on Cruises st so it shouldn't be difficult.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is the market there after 6pm?Guess Costa and Starbucks can do it easy plenty of money and staff

seachto7 wrote: »
    Yay, another coffee shop! :(

Prob a few will close cause of it tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Jofspring

bigpink wrote: »
    Prob a few will close cause of it tho

Hasn't there been evidence shown to say Starbucks opening rarely affects cafes in the area and in some cases increases footfall at the nearby businesses. People will go for a while, realise it's very expensive and go back to their usual place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Is the market there after 6pm?Guess Costa and Starbucks can do it easy plenty of money and staff

I think Costa is open until 7pm. I googled Limerick Starbucks and the hours are listed as 7am-10pm so hopefully we will have a late(ish) cafe again for night owls like myself.

• Advertisement

I think Costa is open until 7pm. I googled Limerick Starbucks and the hours are listed as 7am-10pm so hopefully we will have a late(ish) cafe again for night owls like myself.

Stormy teacup and cellar door didnt work but its gas starbucks will prob do well after 6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Stormy teacup and cellar door didnt work but its gas starbucks will prob do well after 6

That's because they were cliquey and catered for a particular crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

Mr price signs after being plastered all over Annacotty co-op, they even got them up on the roof for passing Dublin road traffic, they're fair garish

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

That's because they were cliquey and catered for a particular crowd.

And completely off the beaten track in terms of evening time footfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Red King wrote:
    Saw that Trinity Rooms were recruiting staff recently.

There is some job site that has job ads from years ago, including Trinity Rooms, perhaps it was that?

Starbucks open til 10 at citygate just outside Cork, I was there at 9.30 recently and it was mobbed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Treepole wrote: »
    And completely off the beaten track in terms of evening time footfall.

Starbucks will be in the same location as Java's was, a place I LIVED in when I was a teenager. Considering how busy the Starbucks at the train station is with teens, I think the place in town will do really well with that age demographic. It's a pity that its a soulless corporation and not the authentic, slightly alternative ambiance that Java's had , but it will be great to see a later night meeting place in Limerick thats not a pub or a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheEntertainer

Havent posted here in yonks. I will say on the starbucks issue, Massive fan of their coffee. And i saw a comment above there that i agree with. They wont take from most of the other coffee shops. Look bottom line is (and Im saying this bluntly) Starbucks attracts a particular type of customer with a decent level of disposable income. A lot of Limerick people will continue to support the smaller cafes because their products are more affordable. The ones it might put into a bit of bother to be honest are the likes of Costa and given that the Costa in Cruises st is the worst I have ever come across (So much so that the last time i went in I swore I never would again) I wouldnt be sorry to see a cafe like that close. But it wont. It doesnt matter where starbucks goes, they don't cause other coffee shops to close. I have heard too much complaining from the likes of Helen O Donnell and the Chamber of commerce with all their cribbing about starbucks opening. Bottom Line, new business it creates jobs. What are they doing to bring businesses to the city?

Now that Iv got that out, Quick question, Does anyone know who the new restaurant/food unit is that is going into Parkway Retail park by PC world? I heard a rumour a while back that its Nandos and really hope thats true. If anyone is in the loop might fill us in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

I can't help but think you work for Starbucks?! It's something you would say if you were trying to defend your position!

Well actually Dave i would happily work for Starbucks. Do I work for them? No. What do I work as? Nobody's business but my own thanks. But the fact that you would insinuate that I am trying to defend any position is just the dumbest thing I have ever heard to be frank. I have over 8 years of experience in dealing with people like chambers of commerce or business associations and have found Limerick to be the worst of all to ever deal with. Thats my opinion. Wont change it for anyone. If you must know I work for myself and I dont own a cafe before you ask but I think in business competition is healthy and if these so called officials cant recognise that, they dont deserve the right to represent the businesses of this city

People have complained that there aren't enough big companies attracted to Limerick. When we do get them then people complain they will cause local businesses to close. If Topman or Pull and Bear were to open in Limerick would people complain that it might affect tony connollys or Noel's menswear?

Thank you Jofspring. Very true. :) Am I not right in saying though did we have topman at one stage in Limerick or was it just topshop and that closed a couple of years back and other stores that have been here for years remain open. You look at the starbucks case and look how many are in Dublin alone. Granted the scale of the city is much larger but they're everywhere and you still have your normal cafes that have been there for years too. Fact is Large companies can create stable jobs and they should be welcomed to Limerick.

Now back to my other point, Parkway retail park restaurant unit? Anyone know whats going in? lol please be nandos

Thank you Jofspring. Very true. :) Am I not right in saying though did we have topman at one stage in Limerick or was it just topshop and that closed a couple of years back and other stores that have been here for years remain open. You look at the starbucks case and look how many are in Dublin alone. Granted the scale of the city is much larger but they're everywhere and you still have your normal cafes that have been there for years too. Fact is Large companies can create stable jobs and they should be welcomed to Limerick.

Now back to my other point, Parkway retail park restaurant unit? Anyone know whats going in? lol please be nandos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Tefral

Costa Coffee in one side. I know who is going in the other side but not mentioning it until they have signed the lease. Probably will happen tomorrow

cronin_j wrote: »
    Costa Coffee in one side. I know who is going in the other side but not mentioning it until they have signed the lease. Probably will happen tomorrow

Is it big enough for two tenants?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Tefral

Is it big enough for two tenants?

Yeah. It's a project I'm managing for the contractor

• Advertisement

Well, please keep us posted so!

Must say Im slightly surprised that Costa are going in though and they just down the rd in Childers. Bold move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Must say Im slightly surprised that Costa are going in though and they just down the rd in Childers. Bold move.

I can see exactly why they are going in there, give it another few years and Starbucks will be everywhere they can in the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Jofspring wrote: »
    People have complained that there aren't enough big companies attracted to Limerick. When we do get them then people complain they will cause local businesses to close. If Topman or Pull and Bear were to open in Limerick would people complain that it might affect tony connollys or Noel's menswear?

Surely the likes of Topman and Connollys/Noel's etc are appealing to very different demographics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Hardly the most valid of comparisons to be fair. Limerick city centre is already well catered for in terms of coffee shops whereas the variety and choice of mens clothing stores is absolutely hopeless! Yes we have some decent independent shops but the representation of popular and well known international brands is virtually non-existent. Even in comparison to other provincial cities!

That said. I have absolutely no problem with Starbucks opening up in the city centre. They are a high profile brand and their presence is a boost and may even assist to some extent when we attempt to market and promote the city centre to attract other new businesses.

I won't be going near it personally but I'm sure plenty of people will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Has anyone heard of any updates with regards to the Horizon Mall/ M&S build as of late?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Has anyone heard of any updates with regards to the Horizon Mall/ M&S build as of late?

High Court decision due to be announced due this month. But as the development has to be finished by this August, it's not going to be built under the current planning.

I just picked men's clothes as an example. You can use that example for other businesses. There is a dunnes stores, tesco and a number of large spar and centras in town but would people complain if Aldi, Lidl or M&S opened in the centre? Would people complain about the competition for them?

If the coffee shops are all doing well in the city centre then there is clearly demand. People said Costa would hit the smaller retailers at the time when it was announced it was opening, have any closed in the vicinity since it opened? When you open a business like a coffee shop you are always going to have a lot of competition. It's the risk you take. Some would say Starbucks and smaller local places are for two different demographics just like certain clothes shops.

Ya the men's clothes range is fairly rubbish in the city centre but it would be interesting to know if the demand is there for better quality. Out of all my mates I reckon 3 even care about the clothes they wear. T-shirt and jeans is enough for most of them and the odd bit of nice wear for a night out. Personally I've gone into Topman, Diesel (real one), pull and bear, bershka and I wouldn't touch any of the clothes they sell. Same with a lot of the online places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Ya the men's clothes range is fairly rubbish in the city centre but it would be interesting to know if the demand is there for better quality.

It's all down to demographics really. Something like 50% of the population of the city live in the outer-lying suburbs and these are largely middle class with spending power.

The city centre, by contrast, has a different demographic. That's why we've loads of chip shops, bookies, euro stores, etc, and not so many fancy clothes shops. And the cafés tend to be for the working population which gets the hell out of the city at 5pm every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

High Court decision due to be announced due this month. But as the development has to be finished by this August, it's not going to be built under the current planning.

I presume the clock has stopped whilst the case is being heard.

Advertisement