Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

damo80 wrote:
    well its open now so it is....starbucks that is. small enough crowd at lunch time expect queue out the door tomorrow!!

Damn didn't know it was opening today would have popped up when I was in town earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Starbucks have a really crap social media/customer service team. Surely they could have put out a tweet or Facebook message about the place opening today?

I asked them by email in December when the Thomas Street one was opening and I was informed there weren't any plans to open any more stores in Limerick. That evening there were lads outside putting up the green letters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

And what makes starbucks so special?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Starbucks have a really crap social media/customer service team. Surely they could have put out a tweet or Facebook message about the place opening today?

I asked them by email in December when the Thomas Street one was opening and I was informed there weren't any plans to open any more stores in Limerick. That evening there were lads outside putting up the green letters.

Ya who ever is managing the brand in Ireland does an awful job at promotion. I also contact them after the signs went up in the trai station asking when they would open the reply I got was that we currently have no plans to open a store in Limerick. Got the same reply when I asked about the Thomas Street store even after the signs were up. They could have at least put up a poster in the windows with an opening date.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

bigpink wrote: »
    And what makes starbucks so special?

it's a successful company that always get the business where other coffee shops struggle?

• Advertisement

it's a successful company that always get the business where other coffee shops struggle?

Ive never had starbucks but people go on like its unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

you could be asking the same question about the likes of McDonalds. I think it's the consistency that's the key, no matter where you go both McBurger and Starbucks taste the same. people (mostly) don't like to be surprised by their coffee and food

Anyone what the number of seats it will have?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Many businesses sometimes opt for a low key "soft" opening to enable staff to get adequately trained up and for teething issues to be ironed out before a grand opening with local celebrity cutting ribbon etc that may take place a couple of weeks later. Not sure if that is Starbucks strategy although their FB page usually uploads pics of any new cafe opening.

Good to see it open though. It will add another option to Limerick's thriving cafe quarter in that area. I know from Boards and elsewhere that Starbucks (and what it may stand for or the so called types it attracts) isn't everyone's "cup of tea" ...deliberate pun...but like it or not, it does give the city a stamp of approval as a progressive, cosmopolitan location to do business in. Simply put, Starbucks does not open in backward, poverty stricken or decaying cities or towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I drove past Starbucks and was surprised that it was open without any fanfare.

It wasn't very busy around 3:30pm. Starbucks is fine, coffee is fine in my experience.

• Advertisement

I think they're 10 years too late as well. They should have been in Limerick as far back as 2005 when they opened their first Dublin stores. They've missed out on a whole group of teens who are now heading into their mid 20s.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ongarboy wrote: »
    Simply put, Starbucks does not open in backward, poverty stricken or decaying cities or towns.

really? have you seen some of the neighborhoods where starbucks is located in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

mossym wrote: »
    really? have you seen some of the neighborhoods where starbucks is located in the US?

I agree with what your saying and Starbucks operates in plenty of poor neighbourhoods and they arent some big luxury retailer like some people are making them out to be. But I think it's a good sign for Limerick that we are attracting international brands especially considering how little expanding outside of Dublin Starbucks have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

goochy wrote: »
    Has the place taking over clohessys/ sinbin opened yet?

April I understand.

Here's the planning application - http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/15843/0

New perfume shop on Catheribe street

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Bored_lad wrote: »
    I agree with what your saying and Starbucks operates in plenty of poor neighbourhoods and they arent some big luxury retailer like some people are making them out to be. But I think it's a good sign for Limerick that we are attracting international brands especially considering how little expanding outside of Dublin Starbucks have done.

no arguement on it being a good sign. not a fan of starbucks although i was for a while when i was living in the US, but i do agree it says good things that they, or at least the franchise owners, want to open two stores here.

was only questioning the statement that they don't open in poverty stricken or decaying towns, because, i travelled all over the US on business while there and believe me i saw some in some truly awful areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

The old newsagents on Little Catherine Street is being renovated with what seems like an expensive/quirky new exterior. I wonder if they have a tenant lined up.

pigtown wrote: »
    The old newsagents on Little Catherine Street is being renovated with what seems like an expensive/quirky new exterior. I wonder if they have a tenant lined up.

Silverwood is going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

I thought it looked similar to their Cruise's Street shop. Are they moving or opening a second store?

pigtown wrote: »
    I thought it looked similar to their Cruise's Street shop. Are they moving or opening a second store?

They're opening a workshop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Walked past Starbucks the other day and it looked mostly empty besides one or two hipster types. Strange because I've never actually seen a hipster in Limerick before. Perhaps they're part of the decor?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭phog

Rumours of an Aldi or Lidl opening in the city centre. Can't remember which one I was told were looking at a site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

phog wrote:
    Rumours of an Aldi or Lidl opening in the city centre. Can't remember which one I was told were looking at a site.

Only a matter of time before one of them opens in town. Where would be suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Forgive me for my absence from this fourm and the city centre since christmas,
    But where exactly are the starbucks, how many are there and how many are planned to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Only a matter of time before one of them opens in town. Where would be suitable?

GPO? Maybe a bit too much work for them to take on?

Dunnes Sarsfield Street but there's no way Dunnes will lease them that location for competition purposes.

Old ESB shop place on Harvey's Quay? Seems like it could work and being some life to the area.

Denmark Street/Mills Car Park area.

Unfinished building by the Market/In House.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Forgive me for my absence from this fourm and the city centre since christmas,
    But where exactly are the starbucks, how many are there and how many are planned to open?

The office block on the corner of Thomas Street and Catherine Street where Uber is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Berty wrote: »
    GPO? Maybe a bit too much work for them to take on?

Dunnes Sarsfield Street but there's no way Dunnes will lease them that location for competition purposes.

Old ESB shop place on Harvey's Quay? Seems like it could work and being some life to the area.

Denmark Street/Mills Car Park area.

Unfinished building by the Market/In House.

Smyths toys at the top of Henry Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Jofspring

source wrote: »
    Smyths toys at the top of Henry Street?

That was taken over by a Christian Church I think.

The old ESB would be a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭phog

The location I heard was Roche's St.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Walked past Starbucks the other day and it looked mostly empty besides one or two hipster types. Strange because I've never actually seen a hipster in Limerick before. Perhaps they're part of the decor?

Theres a few around. Maybe if the blind pig is closing as rumoured in another thread... maybe they auctioned some of them off to other businesses in need?

Advertisement