Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Okay, 1st time I deleted them and said it, the 2nd time I was nice and asked politely. Now I'm not asking anymore.
    Already one person infracted, no more warnings. I've 2 kids waiting at home for me, I don't want to inherit any more on here thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 digitalman

I see in an article in the irish times childers road retail park is for sale for 44 million.
    Also new uk store the range is going in to old atlantic unit. they are basically like a uk version of woodies.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/successful-limerick-retail-park-goes-on-sale-for-44m-1.2555525

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Red King wrote: »
    Hope they powerhose the exterior because it is filthy. I have faith in Jack Mondays to make a success of it because their existing cafe is brilliant

I've only been in jack Monday's twice and both times I thought the food was pretty poor. Last time I was there I was with my parents and better half and we all agreed it wasn't great. And the waiter did something that drives me crazy. Brought the four water glasses down in one hand with a finger in each and then places them on the table holding them around the rim. Same thing with our mugs for our tea. I hope wherever they open gets staff who are a bit more professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Saw Monday they had massive Jack Mondays Signage/Lettering on the window and lots of guys working away inside. Might brighten up the area with some activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

What's going into the standalone building opposite TK Maxx in Castletroy? I saw some workers on scaffolding there today...

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    What's going into the standalone building opposite TK Maxx in Castletroy? I saw some workers on scaffolding there today...

Costa I read, somewhere further back on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Berty wrote: »
    Costa I read, somewhere further back on this thread.

Just what's needed, another coffee shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I've only been in jack Monday's twice and both times I thought the food was pretty poor. Last time I was there I was with my parents and better half and we all agreed it wasn't great. And the waiter did something that drives me crazy. Brought the four water glasses down in one hand with a finger in each and then places them on the table holding them around the rim. Same thing with our mugs for our tea. I hope wherever they open gets staff who are a bit more professional.

I've never found the food in Jack Mondays to be great it's always been so-so. The coffee and staff have always been great though. They'll be forced to make sure food and service is good if they want to succeed in the Aurthurs Quay location.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

Just what's needed, another coffee shop!

actually it's a fantastic spot for a coffee place

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

with one just down the road at childers road?

• Advertisement

if I'm shopping at tkmaxx/pcworld/homebase the last thing I want to do is to go some other place to sit down and have a cup of coffee

Anyway that building specifically existed to be a hospitality business.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

if I'm shopping at tkmaxx/pcworld/homebase the last thing I want to do is to go some other place to sit down and have a cup of coffee

so a good argument for a coffee shop. isn't there one in homebase already?

i was more thinking of opening another costa specifically,
    1. in a shopping center that already has a coffee shop
    2. which is a somewhere everyone is driving to anyway
    3. and which is about 500m from an existing costa

based on that i think it's odd to be opening a costa, but they are a big enough chain to know their market research

point taken, forgot about the coffee dock in homebase - probably due to their coffee being muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Cant believe people think its a bad idea for a coffee shop there!!

If/when it opens I would assume the one in Homebase will close or at least change (not be a Costa).

Also by opening there they get all the traffic going from Dublin road to Castletroy and vice versa. The Costa on childers road is out of the way for a lot of that traffic which you will realise if you drive that route regularly. More chance of stopping for a coffee when you see a que backing up from the roundabout and you think "I'll grab a coffee and by the time I am out the que will have died down a little".

Then there is the Starbucks at the railway station mentality. Get in before the "big project starts". Maybe they are looking at the Parkway Valley potentially opening down the line and thinking get in there before another big coffee chain does (Starbucks, Insomnia, Gloria Bean etc.)

As someone who knows the Childers road shop I dont think it will affect most of their business. Most of the regulars there do business either in the park or quiet close to the park. Other customers tend to be shoppers in Dunnes or people on a school run right across from the store. Parkway retail Costa would not take any of those customers from Childers road. Parkway retail doesn't have stores like Dunnes or Smyths. It does have stores that Childers doesn't have yet such as Homebase (albeit the new store opening will change that), Pc world/currys, TKMax etc. Its a completely different type of retail park. It will also take college students/staff and the castletroy going staff.

The biggest threat to Childers road (not just Costa) is the Parkway valley shopping center. But then again that is a threat to all retail parks and shopping centers as its new and will bring a lot of interest. If Costa didnt move in surely Starbucks would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What is it with Limerick women and coffee shops! Most of the ones that I see punching in time in coffee shops would'nt work to warm themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Mother Macs is changing already
    Going for the hipster vibe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

bigpink wrote: »

I'd say The Blind Pig brigade will migrate to there. Shame the Pig is closing, I miss The Wicked Chicken too :(

leakyboots wrote: »
    I'd say The Blind Pig brigade will migrate to there. Shame the Pig is closing, I miss The Wicked Chicken too :(

Not sure guys that run it aint in that scene.
    Blind Pig wasnt doing the business

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

Been there a handful of times since the change of ownership - genuinely interested in what you mean by a hipster vibe?
    leakyboots wrote: »

Might not be closed for long (albeit under a new guise). Galway Bay Brewery recently announced on Twitter that they are planning to open on Thomas St before June (I'm assuming its there).

• Advertisement

Been there a handful of times since the change of ownership - genuinely interested in what you mean by a hipster vibe?

Might not be closed for long (albeit under a new guise). Galway Bay Brewery recently announced on Twitter that they are planning to open on Thomas St before June (I'm assuming its there).
    As in vintage chic beards alternative etc

Must be the blind pig so thought they haf Whelans got even had pics up of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Costa is going into one side of the unit by TKMaxx and a Restaurant called Camille Thai is going in the other side.

The Nook wine bar has also opened across from the Office Bar in the Milk Market.

https://www.facebook.com/LimerickCityObstacleCourse/?fref=ts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

cronin_j wrote: »
    a Restaurant called Camille Thai is going in the other side.

Is this for realz?? Best news ever if this is true. Camille Thai was my takeaway of choice when I lived in Dublin. Amazing tasty and healthy food.

panda100 wrote: »
    Is this for realz?? Best news ever if this is true. Camille Thai was my takeaway of choice when I lived in Dublin. Amazing tasty and healthy food.

yeah its real

Is it a chain place?

Strange place for the new wine bar place is a kip down there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Camille is an excellent Thai food place. It's a pity they're locating on the edge of town though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I'm delighted it's the edge of town if it's a nice thai place. Will be much easier to get takeaway.

Where else are they?is it a chain or franchise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Where else are they?is it a chain or franchise

There a franchise as far as I know. They started up in Dublin about five years ago and then they sprouted up all over the city. There is a real growing demand for this type of healthy takeaway. They also do doggy takeaway dinners for a Friday night treat for your pooch :pac:

Advertisement