Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Sunglass Hut are opening in Limerick. They are looking for a manager at the minute. I'd imagine they will open in the Crescent seeing as they'd be competing with Brown Thomas if they opened in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Camill is Broody Sweenys venture - previously of OBriens Sandwich bars which is a solid business but he tied the shops into long term leases in the height of the boom.

There will now be three Thai places in a 5 minute drive. Canteen in the Parkway, the place across from the hurlers and now this. It will have to go a long way to beat the place opposite the hurlers

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Sunglasses Hut = The Boom is Back

Insert Assumption of Sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Jofspring wrote: »
    I'm delighted it's the edge of town if it's a nice thai place. Will be much easier to get takeaway.

Not if you live in town and are used to walking to get your junk food. Then again, who lives in town anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Jofspring

zulutango wrote: »
    Not if you live in town and are used to walking to get your junk food. Then again, who lives in town anymore!

Town has its fair share of nice thai places though.

Didn't actually know there was a place in Castletroy though. Would it be as nice as Kaya or Khong Thai does anyone know?

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »
    Town has its fair share of nice thai places though.

Didn't actually know there was a place in Castletroy though. Would it be as nice as Kaya or Khong Thai does anyone know?

It's owned by the same crowd as Kaya. It's called Lana. It's similar to but not as nice as Aroi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Chain or franchise place wouldnt appeal if other options near by

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

mitresize5 wrote: »
    It will have to go a long way to beat the place opposite the hurlers

Nice, but nowhere near Aroi's level.. that's the place to beat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Nice, but nowhere near Aroi's level.. that's the place to beat!

Aroi has definitely gone down in quality in the last couple of months since they opened their Kilkenny branch, I think the original chef moved to their. Very bland the last 2 times I've been.

I agree. The quality has gone down, the portions are fairly small now and the price has gone up. That's one way to lose the goodwill you've built up over two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Is Clover (the Japanese/Thai place) gone from Raheen already? I passed last weekend and it looked closed!

Is Clover (the Japanese/Thai place) gone from Raheen already? I passed last weekend and it looked closed!

I wouldn't be surprised. I passed the place on Bedford Row on Saturday night at 8 o'clock and it was empty except for the staff. So strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

I wouldn't be surprised. I passed the place on Bedford Row on Saturday night at 8 o'clock and it was empty except for the staff. So strange!

Not surprised, terrible food and a menu that was partially ripped off from Taikichi!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Umekichi wrote: »
    Not surprised, terrible food and a menu that was partially ripped off from Taikichi!

Agree, Taikichi is far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Bumped into the lovely couple (the chef and his wife who was front of house) who opened Aroi and had a chat with them recently as I used to be a regular. It's true that they have moved away and don't have anything to do with Aroi anymore. Doesn't sound like they're involved with the ones in Cork or Kilkenny either but I could have picked them up wrong.

I also noticed a difference in quality the last time I was in there. Still very good but you can tell a definite difference. I much prefer Khing Thai these days, that place is hard to beat.

le_girl wrote: »
    Bumped into the lovely couple (the chef and his wife who was front of house) who opened Aroi and had a chat with them recently as I used to be a regular. It's true that they have moved away and don't have anything to do with Aroi anymore. Doesn't sound like they're involved with the ones in Cork or Limerick either but I could have picked them up wrong.

I also noticed a difference in quality the last time I was in there. Still very good but you can tell a definite difference. I much prefer Khing Thai these days, that place is hard to beat.

I noticed lately that there are a lot less Asian staff and more Indian/Pakistani lads in there. I was thinking that there might have been a change owner alright. Food still tastes as good to me so I'm happy!

I noticed lately that there are a lot less Asian staff and more Indian/Pakistani lads in there. I was thinking that there might have been a change owner alright. Food still tastes as good to me so I'm happy!

Prob start doing kebabs so!
    Strange they are gone from it so.soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

any idea why they left

seemed to be doing a roaring trade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Slight but noticeable difference in food. The buzz seemed different there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Yeah Aroi has gone slightly downhill in quality (still savage mind). We're taking a break from it, was eating there nearly every week for a while so we were probably bound to get sick of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

mitresize5 wrote: »
    any idea why they left

seemed to be doing a roaring trade

A disagreement with their financial backers from my understanding. They aren't involved in the Aroi chain anymore. Aroi still has the original recipes, so that's why the foods is still good.

They opened two new places called Khao in mallow and Killarney.

https://m.facebook.com/khaomallow/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭goochy

the one in cork went on fire and hasn't reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

jmch81 wrote: »
    A disagreement with their financial backers from my understanding. They aren't involved in the Aroi chain anymore. Aroi still has the original recipes, so that's why the foods is still good.

They opened two new places called Khao in mallow and Killarney.

https://m.facebook.com/khaomallow/

I believe they were running Aroi on behalf of the people who owned the Hamptons. So I assume they were just paid employees. Pity to hear they have left, there is a definite decline in the flavour of the food. That little bit extra which lifted it from good to exceptional. Hopefully they do well with their next venture as its disappointing that somebody else is reaping the benefits of all their hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Tried the new wine bar The Nook on Friday evening. Lovely place and the couple running the place seem very friendly.
    They will be doing Tapas from next week

Treepole wrote: »
    I believe they were running Aroi on behalf of the people who owned the Hamptons. So I assume they were just paid employees. Pity to hear they have left, there is a definite decline in the flavour of the food. That little bit extra which lifted it from good to exceptional. Hopefully they do well with their next venture as its disappointing that somebody else is reaping the benefits of all their hard work.

The quality food and service in the Hamptons has plummeted too. It's all fake smiles and over-friendliness. Reminded me of eating out in the US, which I never liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

zulutango wrote: »
    It's all fake smiles and over-friendliness.

I find The Cornstore very much like that. I do like the food though.

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Tried the new wine bar The Nook on Friday evening. Lovely place and the couple running the place seem very friendly.
    They will be doing Tapas from next week
    Oh great must try it its a shame its in a kip of a location
    Love the Copper Room always felt tapas would be great there
    Have they some connection to the limerick.ie website its in the facebook page
    Was it there a while as a coffee shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

bigpink wrote: »

Limerick.ie is the corpo website

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

bigpink wrote: »

I actually think its a great location for a business to be honest. All the market trade from Wednesday onwards etc.

They dont have a connection to limerick.ie

It wasnt a coffee shop before it was Adare Farm Shop, It was kitted out as a wine bar by the owners

• Advertisement

cronin_j wrote: »
    I actually think its a great location for a business to be honest. All the market trade from Wednesday onwards etc.

They dont have a connection to limerick.ie

It wasnt a coffee shop before it was Adare Farm Shop, It was kitted out as a wine bar by the owners
    Meant as a wine bar that part of town is a kip now with kebab street and all the fights but the it sounds like a nice place

Oh was wondering why the facebook page had that listed
    Think the facebook page was the limerick onstacle course before it was the nook

Advertisement