Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Fencing has been erected around the car park of the old Dell plant in Plassey.

Looks like work is beginning on the film outfit going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Lots of surveying/drilling at old ESB place on Cecil St lately

Also saw men in luminous gear in hanging gardens site today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

zulutango wrote: »
    The quality food and service in the Hamptons has plummeted too. It's all fake smiles and over-friendliness. Reminded me of eating out in the US, which I never liked.

I think the Savoy in general has plummeted. Overall service and quality in the hotel, bar and Hamptons has dropped noticeably. Not a good sign. Used to be best hotel in the city, think Strand and No1 Pery are much better these days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Looks like our new dock road petrol station is being opened by the people behind the centra station.

Passed by there on the way home and saw "Casey's" on signs all over it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

source wrote: »
    Looks like our new dock road petrol station is being opened by the people behind the centra station.

Passed by there on the way home and saw "Casey's" on signs ask over it.

Where is it located?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

marno21 wrote: »
    Where is it located?

The one just after the radio station

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

marno21 wrote: »
    Where is it located?

On the Dock Road !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The fit out has commenced on Dealz on Bedford Row. :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

FFS!!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Are you serious?!!!

It's extremely disappointing and concerning that such a prime, modern unit could not attract a quality tenant. A big opportunity wasted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭Comhrá

All that's needed alongside Dealz now, is a used mobile phone shop and a tattoo parlour and that's Bedford Row sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Vanquished wrote: »
    Are you serious?!!!

It's extremely disappointing and concerning that such a prime, modern unit could not attract a quality tenant. A big opportunity wasted!

It is indeed. We must ask ourselves why 'quality' tenants don't want to set up in Limerick city centre. To me, the answer is obvious. So long as the middle classes and spending types live, by and large, in the suburbs and beyond, then it'll be more euro stores, betting shops and junk food outlets in the city centre.

I'm lost for words. How depressing.

Serious questions need to be asked here. Bedford Row was supposed to be the new prime retail heart in the city.

Now what I think might be the biggest unit is turning into Dealz, Edinburgh Woolen Mills has closed and another unit is empty (Ted Baker?)

If ever there was a bad sign for the fortunes of turning around the image of the city in terms of quality retail then this is surely it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

It is indeed. We must ask ourselves why 'quality' tenants don't want to set up in Limerick city centre. To me, the answer is obvious. So long as the middle classes and spending types live, by and large, in the suburbs and beyond, then it'll be more euro stores, betting shops and junk food outlets in the city centre.

It's a contributory factor but I don't believe it's the primary reason. Like I said previously neither Cork nor Galway have large city centre residential populations yet they manage to attract reasonably high numbers in to their respective centres. There are still many challenges facing Limerick city centre and chief amonst them is the perception that the city centre is run down, neglected, lacking vibrancy, has a shortage of parking and is home to too many beggars!

What is undeniable though is that much of the city centre is just not an attractive environment to spend time in. We've been banging on for ages about the state of many streets (principally O'Connell Street) which are blighted by terrible paving, narrow footpaths, ugly wiring and electricity poles. The list goes on and on yet the urgency to tackle these issues is sorely lacking. The lack of progress has reached embarrassing proportions at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Vanquished wrote: »
    The list goes on and on yet the urgency to tackle these issues is sorely lacking. The lack of progress has reached embarrassing proportions at this stage!

It would seem from other threads here that the indigenous and naturalised are happy/oblivious as things stand. Any possible discussion seems to turn into desperate defence/denial. The majority seem to have the city and local government that they want/deserve.

Why force something they don't need or want on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Overall I like Limerick but the city centre is a bit crap.

What puts me off is the hassle of getting in and out and the cost of parking.

Illegal parking is rife, limiting traffic flow. Parking can be pricey too.

I prefer the out of town retail parks and the Crescent, easier to get in and out (Childer's Road is a problem though) and free parking. Less stress and cheaper.

If I do need to go to town at the weekend I park in a Mon-Fri zone and stroll in early.

The city centre has an image problem and the council we have is absolutely dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Very true.. They could start by getting rid of those flags they have across oconnell street be it for limerick city, munster the novena , and those tacky lights they have strung across the Shannon bridge..lots of which are not working. It's just not a nice place to hang around at the moment. Their efforts to doll up cruises street last year were to be applauded but the sign at the entrance looks cheap and nasty, and the painted bits on the street itself is more or less washed away. I was in town last Sunday evening and the amount of litter up and down oconnell street was shocking. If they don't look after these things...why would any retailer want to open here.
    Aside from the negatives ie empty units, badly maintained buildings etc the positives are not being looked after. A real gem is the milk market but the areas around it are manky...oconnell street foot paths are in a disgraceful state for a main street..the urban garden thing is kind of laughable and the crep/fish and chips look ridiculously out of place

You reap what you sow...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Which unit? God that's fcuking depressing. It was the only street that looked like a decent shopping area with Pamela Scott, Woolen Mills and the various shoe shops and clothes shops.

Dealz. Jesus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It would seem from other threads here that the indigenous and naturalised are happy/oblivious as things stand. Any possible discussion seems to turn into desperate defence/denial. The majority seem to have the city and local government that they want/deserve.

Why force something they don't need or want on them?

Not everything is black and white. Just because people have an opinion that differs from yours doesn't mean that they are happy everything in the city.
    Calling people out for talking BS about certain aspects of the city doesn't make the defenders blind to the obvious deficiencies that exist.

So Bedford Row now consists of

Dealz
    Clover (Jap/Thai restaurant)
    The Buttery
    Figaro Barber Shop
    Limerick Travel
    Bank of Ireland
    Supermacs
    Diesel (is this gone?)
    The Sale Shop (Tony Connolly discount store)
    City Central Shoes
    Schuh

Christ that is depressing. Of the two restaurants The Buttery is nice but Clover is very average. Can't see it lasting tbh. Dealz should not be there, Limerick Travel take up a prime retail spot too I'd rather see them elsewhere, can't do anything about Bank of Ireland or Supermac's, two shoe shops beside each other is one too many, the sale shop is another poor offering and Figaro is totally out of place there.

Jesus it is a balls of a street now to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

and diesel is only knock offs so like a dealz of clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

as cheap shops go there is way worse than deals and it will bring jobs and fill a unit.

sioda wrote: »
    as cheap shops go there is way worse than deals and it will bring jobs and fill a unit.

It is just horribly depressing to see another cheap discount store going into a prime retail unit in the heart of the city.

Frankly Dealz just lowers the tone of Bedford Row considerably.

Red King wrote: »
    So Bedford Row now consists of

Dealz
    Clover (Jap/Thai restaurant)
    The Buttery
    Figaro Barber Shop
    Limerick Travel
    Bank of Ireland
    Supermacs
    Diesel (is this gone?)
    The Sale Shop (Tony Connolly discount store)
    City Central Shoes
    Schuh

Christ that is depressing. Of the two restaurants The Buttery is nice but Clover is very average. Can't see it lasting tbh. Dealz should not be there, Limerick Travel take up a prime retail spot too I'd rather see them elsewhere, can't do anything about Bank of Ireland or Supermac's, two shoe shops beside each other is one too many, the sale shop is another poor offering and Figaro is totally out of place there.

Jesus it is a balls of a street now to be honest.

So Limerick Travel should move from the location they've been in for years because you'd rather something else was in there?
    Seeing what's actually going into Bedford Row I'd fear what would end up in that unit.
    The sense of entitlement of some posters on here is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

So Limerick Travel should move from the location they've been in for years because you'd rather something else was in there?
    Seeing what's actually going into Bedford Row I'd fear what would end up in that unit.
    The sense of entitlement of some posters on here is amazing.

It's amazing there's still a market out there for travel agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Red King wrote:

What is wrong with two shoe shops beside each other when they have largely different offerings? I use both depending on what I'm looking for.

It's amazing there's still a market out there for travel agents.

I know quite a few older people who still use them. If you're not computer savvy then you're not going to be booking any Ryanair flights.
    I know others who are too lazy to spend time surfing around for flights and hotels and let the travel agent do it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

I for one always go there to get a list of recommended destinations and always end up looking up the trip myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Which unit? God that's fcuking depressing. It was the only street that looked like a decent shopping area with Pamela Scott, Woolen Mills and the various shoe shops and clothes shops.

Dealz. Jesus.

It's going into the former Pamela Scott unit...the biggest one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It's going into the former Pamela Scott unit...the biggest one.

Literally just passed it. It's ****ing scandalous. An absolutely stunning unit that would make a fantastic retail store with cafe on first floor.

Advertisement