Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

I can't buy decent clothes anywhere in the city and they go ahead with another euro shop, Limerick makes me weep.

Shocking they couldn't find a better retailer than that. Just shocking. It is a really bad omen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I can't buy decent clothes anywhere in the city and they go ahead with another euro shop, Limerick makes me weep.
    Cork/Galway/Dublin are much worse. :pac:

I'm still waiting to see how the acolytes will spin this as a sign that Limerick city is absolutely booming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Townie_P wrote: »
    Dealz is very disappointing but not surprising. IMO you are not going to see the big retail names coming to Limerick until the 2030 redevelopment work is complete. City needs a makeover and needs more tourists/visitors to drive extra footfall and sales. It's just not attractive enough as things stand.

The 2030 plan was only ever supposed to be a starting point. As such, it's a vague enough document. A follow up plan was required to get into the specifics but that hasn't been done. The City Council wave the 2030 document around as if it's informing everything they do. They're ignoring much of it and ascribing many of their other decisions to it. They really are a sham of an operation.

One minute they are harping on about Limerick 2020 and the next 2030

I think I'll launch Limerick 2040. Envisioning a Limerick free of gombeen councillors. As much of a pie in the sky idea as the other proposals at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I hear the 2040 plan will have a hover mono rail.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Red King wrote: »
    One minute they are harping on about Limerick 2020 and the next 2030

I think I'll launch Limerick 2040. Envisioning a Limerick free of gombeen councillors. As much of a pie in the sky idea as the other proposals at this point.

Limerick 2020 and Limerick 2030 are two completely different things and I think you are well aware of that. But Just incase....

Limerick 2020 is Limericks bid to be European Capital of Culture. Limerick 2030 is a development plan for the city.

But you'll continue putting down everything just for sh!ts and giggles.

Cork/Galway/Dublin are much worse. :pac:

I'm still waiting to see how the acolytes will spin this as a sign that Limerick city is absolutely booming

Again people pointing out positives aren't blind to the negatives. You on the other hand can only see the negatives even when there are plenty of good things happening in the city.

And here we go...

The positivity brigade have arrived. On today's show Richard Lynch and Leanne Moore duet on Everything is Awesome

Followed by Joe Nash on the possibility of building a hovertrain as part of Limerick 2095

Afterwards, Mark and Catriona broadcast live from Celia Holman Lee Stadium (Formerly Thomond Park) where public executions will be held of several individuals who broke the local anti-negativity council bylaws.

Again people pointing out positives aren't blind to the negatives. You on the other hand can only see the negatives even when there are plenty of good things happening in the city.
    I'm perfectly happy to see a local retail park being bought by a local person, as an example right on this very page. I think it's you that has the selective vision! :p

Think that Dolores McNamara article mentioned some new DIY store opening

The Range. UK chain that wants to take on Woodies DIY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Oh I'm sure this new Dealz store will be spun by the usual suspects as "a boost to the retail offering" and "yet another sign of the increasing confidence being shown in the city centre"

In reality it illustrates that the city centre is still not capable of attracting the variety and calibre of retailers that it needs to grow and thrive. I much prefer the city centre over sterile, soulless shopping centres but the reality is that our city centre offers very poor and limited retail choice. The infamous 2030 plans envisages a new retail cluster on the site of Arthurs Quay shopping centre and a portion of the park but it's difficult to have any confidence in the prospects of this being delivered any time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Followed by Joe Nash on the possibility of building a hovertrain as part of Limerick 2095

Don't be ridiculous. Everybody knows the City Council are planning a monorail. Heard it's been a great success in Brockway, Ogdenville, AND North Haverbrook!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Don't be ridiculous. Everybody knows the City Council are planning a monorail. Heard it's been a great success in Brockway, Ogdenville, AND North Haverbrook!

I hear those things are awfully.......... no Source.... Bad Source!!

I'm perfectly happy to see a local retail park being bought by a local person, as an example right on this very page. I think it's you that has the selective vision! :p
    And here we go...

The positivity brigade have arrived.

More BS from both of you. The city has a lot of issues, but there are plenty of positives.
    Although I don't know why I should bother with either of ye seeing as instead of posting reasonable arguments all ye're doing is making statements and taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Dolores McNamara (our resident Euromillions winner) has bid for Childers Road Retail Park, and has gotten through the first round.
    €44m guide price, and she is being advised by Eddie Hobbs. :)

Looks like The Range are moving into the old Atlantic Homecare unit too.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2016/04/13/dolores-mcnamara-bids-to-buy-childers-road-retail-park-in-limerick/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

By gum, it put them on the map! :D

We've gone way off topic, but the "dealz? really??" debate was worth having in this thread IMO.
    I'll quite happily applaud any reasonably presented positive development. I'll even applaud a positive development presented in gushing over the top self congratulating hyberbole from the in-crowd. But it needs to be real, not some nebulous plan with no signs of being put into action.
    I'm sure there's great stuff happening that many people are not aware of - there is, IMO, a major problem informing the kind of people who rarely venture into the city except for specific definite tasks.
    More BS from both of you. The city has a lot of issues, but there are plenty of positives.
    Although I don't know why I should bother with either of ye seeing as instead of posting reasonable arguments all ye're doing is making statements and taking the piss.

Jesus lighten up will you. Frankly much of the things we mock deserve to be mocked. I'll happily give credit where it is due but the positivity brigade in my opinion do more harm than good as they simply shutdown any and every attempt to highlight problematic issues in the city. It doesn't matter whether the problems are highlighted in a comic or serious manner, they ALWAYS whitewash it.

They think they are part of the solution but in my opinion and many others they are actually part of the problem

Jesus lighten up will you. Frankly much of the things we mock deserve to be mocked. I'll happily give credit where it is due but the positivity brigade in my opinion do more harm than good as they simply shutdown any and every attempt to highlight problematic issues in the city. It doesn't matter whether the problems are highlighted in a comic or serious manner, they ALWAYS whitewash it.

They think they are part of the solution but in my opinion and many others they are actually part of the problem

You see a positivity brigade where other's see a balanced view. Pointing out that not everything is bad is hardly shutting down any attempts to highlight issues. As I've said the issues are obvious and I've never seen anyone whitewash it to say that everything is rosy.
    If you see that then your only seeing what you want to see.

Jesus wept. I'll leave it at that as we are derailing the thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Its the sort of pissing match you would see in the council chamber ;)

There's a story in the post about the round house reopening as Mother Macs...isn't that old news? Thought it has been Mother Macs for a few months now?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Bigpink, your stream of consciousness posts are a joy to read. What exactly is an Eva though?

EVA the art festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

EV+A is the correct title!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

zulutango wrote: »
    EV+A is the correct title!

Actually it isn't. They removed the plus a number of years ago and did a slight rebrand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

There's a story in the post about the round house reopening as Mother Macs...isn't that old news? Thought it has been Mother Macs for a few months now?

It is just prob had a contact in the paper or buying adverts in it.It openes as a middle o road pub but going more alternative now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

And here we go...

The positivity brigade have arrived. On today's show Richard Lynch and Leanne Moore duet on Everything is Awesome

Afterwards, Mark and Catriona broadcast live from Celia Holman Lee Stadium (Formerly Thomond Park) where public executions will be held of several individuals who broke the local anti-negativity council bylaws.

You forgot the Cersei Lannister style walk of shame down Richard Lynch Boulevard (formerly O'Connell Street)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

That monorail gag has to be one of the most overused and cliched on Internet forums, I genuinely roll my eyes when I read it now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That monorail gag has to be one of the most overused and cliched on Internet forums, I genuinely roll my eyes when I read it now.

Ah, it's been the Limerick forum in-joke for about 8 years now. Join us! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

An File wrote: »
    Ah, it's been the Limerick forum in-joke for about 8 years now. Join us! :P

Yes, completely unique to the Limerick forum :rolleyes:

Advertisement