Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

That monorail gag has to be one of the most overused and cliched on Internet forums, I genuinely roll my eyes when I read it now.

not on your life, my Hindu friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

That monorail gag has to be one of the most overused and cliched on Internet forums, I genuinely roll my eyes when I read it now.

I think you are confusing it with the €10million to the local economy gag that the Leader, Post, Council and Live95fm have been using for the past decade or so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

FutureGuy wrote: »
    not on your life, my Hindu friend.

Hang on, wasn't I just talking to you:pac:

Bloody monorail gag:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

We've gone way off topic, but the "dealz? really??" debate was worth having in this thread IMO.

That's true but it's really annoying that almost every single thread about anything that happens in Limerick soon descends into a 'what Limerick needs is...' or 'the problem is...' or 'the council are clueless...' Sometimes you just want to discuss positive developments without rehashing all the same arguments/ideas.
    I'll quite happily applaud any reasonably presented positive development. I'll even applaud a positive development presented in gushing over the top self congratulating hyberbole from the in-crowd. But it needs to be real, not some nebulous plan with no signs of being put into action.

I assume you're referencing the Opera Centre site? I know it seems like it's been going on forever but you have to keep in mind that it's a huge development costing up to €100 million that effectively started from scratch only two years ago, and the council have always said that they don't expect construction to actually start until 2017. People say that Arthur's Quay and Cruise's Street were terrible mistakes and I'd prefer if they didn't make another mistake with the biggest development the city is likely to see in a generation.
    I'm sure there's great stuff happening that many people are not aware of - there is, IMO, a major problem informing the kind of people who rarely venture into the city except for specific definite tasks.

This is definitely true of the council. Not many people know that they publish a fairly detailed monthly report with details on essentially every area they are involved in. From the January report;

Economic Development
    • A 4.1m european Regional Development Fund (eRDF)
    Grant application for the upgrade of o’connell st. was
    won by the council
    • the hanging Gardens Design team is appointed. Part 8
    planning application in preparation.
    • the Project opera Design team assessments are
    underway. Appointment in march 2016. negotiations
    with Revenue/office of Public Works and University of
    Limerick in train.
    • the cleeves urban design brief is prepared.
    • the city centre/University of Limerick bus corridor
    multi criteria analysis completed.
    Red King wrote: »
    Jesus lighten up will you. Frankly much of the things we mock deserve to be mocked. I'll happily give credit where it is due but the positivity brigade in my opinion do more harm than good as they simply shutdown any and every attempt to highlight problematic issues in the city. It doesn't matter whether the problems are highlighted in a comic or serious manner, they ALWAYS whitewash it.

They think they are part of the solution but in my opinion and many others they are actually part of the problem

You could say the same about the negativity brigade. I don't think you'll find a single thread on this forum that hasn't ended in a wave of criticism and complaint. It may be warranted but it does get annoying.
    zulutango wrote: »
    EV+A is the correct title!

I wish they'd change the name to the Limerick Biennial and use it to help boost the association of Limerick with culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

pigtown wrote: »
    That's true but it's really annoying that almost every single thread about anything that happens in Limerick soon descends into a 'what Limerick needs is...' or 'the problem is...' or 'the council are clueless...' Sometimes you just want to discuss positive developments without rehashing all the same arguments/ideas.

I assume you're referencing the Opera Centre site? I know it seems like it's been going on forever but you have to keep in mind that it's a huge development costing up to €100 million that effectively started from scratch only two years ago, and the council have always said that they don't expect construction to actually start until 2017. People say that Arthur's Quay and Cruise's Street were terrible mistakes and I'd prefer if they didn't make another mistake with the biggest development the city is likely to see in a generation.

This is definitely true of the council. Not many people know that they publish a fairly detailed monthly report with details on essentially every area they are involved in. From the January report;

Economic Development
    • A 4.1m european Regional Development Fund (eRDF)
    Grant application for the upgrade of o’connell st. was
    won by the council
    • the hanging Gardens Design team is appointed. Part 8
    planning application in preparation.
    • the Project opera Design team assessments are
    underway. Appointment in march 2016. negotiations
    with Revenue/office of Public Works and University of
    Limerick in train.
    • the cleeves urban design brief is prepared.
    • the city centre/University of Limerick bus corridor
    multi criteria analysis completed.

You could say the same about the negativity brigade. I don't think you'll find a single thread on this forum that hasn't ended in a wave of criticism and complaint. It may be warranted but it does get annoying.

I wish they'd change the name to the Limerick Biennial and use it to help boost the association of Limerick with culture.
    No no, I'm absolutely against telling people "what they need", as I've said already it's quite obvious that a good majority are as happy as pigs in the proverbial with the status quo. I will continue to mock poorly planned and implemented projects which waste my taxes.

Yeah, I should probably have put "likely to be completed on a human timescale rather than a geological one" in my conditions list.

Where is the magic list of spectular events of interest to the general public for April? Or May? Or did you really genuinely misunderstand my criticism of event publicising and think I meant the council should produce a comic or something to illustrate their awesomeness rather than a list. Lolz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

@pigtown - Did it ever occur to you that people vent here because it is one of the few places they can given that the local media rarely discuss, analyse or address any of the issues in any kind of meaningful way?

I'm sorry it annoys you but for many of us hers there are far more annoying things that affect us all happening on a daily basis in our beautiful city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

No no, I'm absolutely against telling people "what they need", as I've said already it's quite obvious that a good majority are as happy as pigs in the proverbial with the status quo. I will continue to mock poorly planned and implemented projects which waste my taxes.

Sorry to have accused you in the wrong. It is true that almost every positive announcement is quickly overtaken by criticism though. And by all means you should mock poor projects, especially this new bridge they are proposing. And to be honest I seriously doubt that there is anyone happy with the status quo.

And the council moved quite quickly on the Troy movie studios in Castletroy, proposing the project, getting Ardmore Studios on board, buying the building and then providing the loan t get it started. They are hoping to have the first project in there at the end of the year.
    Yeah, I should probably have put "likely to be completed on a human timescale rather than a geological one" in my conditions list.

Come on man be fair. The Opera Centre, Hanging Gardens, and now the old Cleeves Factory are huge projects that require and deserve a lot of thought about how they should be completed. I mean they're projecting a spend of €100 million on the Opera Centre, €16 million on the Hanging Gardens and while no plan has been decided for the Cleeves Factory, a convention centre that's being built in Cork, something mooted for the site, is costing €50 million. That's a lot of public money and it needs to be spent carefully. And that means not rushing into anything.
    Where is the magic list of spectular events of interest to the general public for April? Or May? Or did you really genuinely misunderstand my criticism of event publicising and think I meant the council should produce a comic or something to illustrate their awesomeness rather than a list. Lolz.

Sorry man, thought you meant a list of what happened. The CEO's monthly report provides a summary of what the council did that month. You can find them here: http://www.limerick.ie/council/chief-executives-reports March's one hasn't been published yet though.

You're right that it can be difficult to see whats on. I find the best way is to follow the various venues and groups on twitter. It's not ideal though.
    Red King wrote: »
    @pigtown - Did it ever occur to you that people vent here because it is one of the few places they can given that the local media rarely discuss, analyse or address any of the issues in any kind of meaningful way?

Absolutely man. I'm absolutely a realist and can't stand the relentless self promotion of certain people in Limerick. To their credit though, the Leader and the Post sometimes take a strong critical position, especially on this new bridge, but also on the dereliction of Georgian Limerick, and the farce that was the two councils before they merged. They really do need to be more critical though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Health hub to open in Old Town Hall on Rutland St.
    I've no idea what exactly a health hub is, but it's good to see this building come back into use.

Health hub to open in Old Town Hall on Rutland St.
    I've no idea what exactly a health hub is, but it's good to see this building come back into use.
    Yeah, pretty much anything would be welcome there.

That's about as positive as I get on a Tuesday, sorry guys.
    mike_ehrmantraut.jpg
    :( Not a sly dig at anyone btw, just an acknowledgement that I am a bit of a pessimist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

At least it's not another Dealz!!

(Yes I'm still irritated by that!:o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭squonk

Any word on the Galway Bay Brewery pub opening at least? Anyone know where it's going?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

squonk wrote: »
    Any word on the Galway Bay Brewery pub opening at least? Anyone know where it's going?

I heard they're taking over The Blind Pig next month. Not 100% certain though.

They tweeted recently that there are issues with the former Blind Pig premises that need to be overcome. Lets hope it's not another false start like with the Denmark Street venture.

The toilets in The Blind Pig really let the place down.

Another option for them could be Bourkes but there'd be issues with it too. I think that side of town would be a better fit than Denmark Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

The building that the Pig was in is a shambles and the landlord is meant to be a pain to work with. I gather Bourkes is in a similar state of disrepair

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭squonk

It's starting to sound like another false start to me. It's the last week in April now which doesn't leave a lot of time until June.

You know there's something really wrong around the place when a successful business wants to opern up a premises but is having false starts. I know GBB shouldn't be tweeting news on new openings until the ink on an agreement is dry and the taps are being fitted and barrells rolled in but it's still not a good thing either. They can't open bars fast enough in Dublin but all we're getting from Limerick is false starts and complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Deal z are fitting out the big unit on the corner of Bedford Row and Henry ST (think it used to be Pamela Scotts) signs up in the windows this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

squonk wrote: »
    It's starting to sound like another false start to me. It's the last week in April now which doesn't leave a lot of time until June.

You know there's something really wrong around the place when a successful business wants to opern up a premises but is having false starts. I know GBB shouldn't be tweeting news on new openings until the ink on an agreement is dry and the taps are being fitted and barrells rolled in but it's still not a good thing either. They can't open bars fast enough in Dublin but all we're getting from Limerick is false starts and complications.

What about House going into Clohessys? Was supposed to be open early in 2016 and there doesn't seem to be any work going on there.

The council requested more information about the outdoor seating area and how much of the public footpath it was to encroach on etc. It took the applicants a few months to respond. A decision is due now in early May.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Vanquished wrote: »
    The council requested more information about the outdoor seating area and how much of the public footpath it was to encroach on etc. It took the applicants a few months to respond. A decision is due now in early May.

Not nearly as much encroachment as those grotesque, obtrusive ugly new phone kiosk monstrosities, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

A branch of Polonez, the Polish supermarket chain, has opened in Roxboro.

Saw that. Impressively minimalistic exterior, i like it like, but it makes lidl look futuristic.

Any good deals there?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Just what Limerick needs another Polski shop.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

jbkenn wrote: »
    Just what Limerick needs another Polski shop.

Hmm, it's not exactly full of them and there are plenty of Polish living here. Not sure what your issue is?

They have great prices and the majority of their stuff is as nice, if not nicer, than Dunnes and Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Hmm, it's not exactly full of them and there are plenty of Polish living here. Not sure what your issue is?

They have great prices and the majority of their stuff is as nice, if not nicer, than Dunnes and Tesco.

I go into the local Polish Shop every few months if I fancy something different in a biscuit/cake. Nice to have some variety.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

Please don't feed the trolls, if you have an issue with a post report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Treepole wrote:
    What about House going into Clohessys? Was supposed to be open early in 2016 and there doesn't seem to be any work going on there.

I saw people in there and the curtains open last week, still at the paperwork stage it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

I replied to your post, my reply obviously upset some sensibilities and seems to have been removed, I will leave it at that.

Although I completely disagreed with the point, I don't think the post should have been deleted. It really diminishes the discussion when we go down that road. Whether we agree with it or not the view was legitimately held and shouldn't be airbrushed out of the debate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Questioning a mods decision on thread is normally an infraction but I figure I might as well explain my actions.

A while back a poster on here who seems to have positioned themselves as the conscience questioned a mod issuing cards when posts could simply have been deleted, I took that feedback on board and where possible I try to clean up discussion rather than issuing cards. In the case of the recent post I could have issues cards for the initial post as well as for the replies.

In regards to diminishing the discussion, this is a regional forum and discussion on here should be Limerick focused, there is a lot of off topic discussion but it's important than the core function of this part of the internet is remembered.

I won't be discussing my moderation on topic but if someone wants to PM me I'll be happy to discuss.

Advertisement