Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

zulutango wrote: »
    Although I completely disagreed with the point, I don't think the post should have been deleted. It really diminishes the discussion when we go down that road. Whether we agree with it or not the view was legitimately held and shouldn't be airbrushed out of the debate.

+1

Don't think I've ever seen a sub-forum as bad for deleting posts as the Limerick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Clareman wrote: »
    Questioning a mods decision on thread is normally an infraction but I figure I might as well explain my actions.

A while back a poster on here who seems to have positioned themselves as the conscience questioned a mod issuing cards when posts could simply have been deleted, I took that feedback on board and where possible I try to clean up discussion rather than issuing cards. In the case of the recent post I could have issues cards for the initial post as well as for the replies.

In regards to diminishing the discussion, this is a regional forum and discussion on here should be Limerick focused, there is a lot of off topic discussion but it's important than the core function of this part of the internet is remembered.

I won't be discussing my moderation on topic but if someone wants to PM me I'll be happy to discuss.

I wonder is there appetite to reverse that decision you made and start handing out infractions rather than deleting harmless posts, I'm sure plenty agree with me that having your posts deleted is dreadfully annoying, makes you seem like a troublemaker and renders any effort and thought you've put into a post pointless,
    I hope you'll pardon me for doing this in the public forum rather than via PM, I don't see what private messaging a mod can achieve.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'll discuss it with my fellow mods and see what the consensus is.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Okay lads, we're back here to having issues with how things are moderated, the Mod decided to remove the posts as they were out of line and other posters seeing them would only "Feed the troll", your all around here long enough to know how that works.

If your not happy with the way things are moderated you can PM the mod and if needed can get it pursued further.

As Clareman said already, questioning mods is a card effect, but we're nice and since its the same posters on here a lot, there is no point in everyone been pissed off.

So going forward, can we please just PM the mods and see why they were deleted. This leaves off topic discussion at a min.
    If your going to question mods decisions on the threads and its out of order, then cards are going to be handed out.

Hope thats all clear now.

Much love

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Monstrosity - noun - a thing, especially a building, which is very large and unsightly.

qXFOL5D.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Not a fan of Dealz but to be honest. I'd prefer it to another empty building and there is way too many of those in Limerick already

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

That looks so cheap and tacky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

The most depressing thing I've seen in regards to business in Limerick in a long time.

Cheapens the while tone of the area instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Anyone else see the big PS on the window? You have to look hard to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cannot wait to see the pajama/onesie wearers that seem to flock to discount shops like moths to light, roaring and screaming at each other outside the front door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

vkid wrote: »
    Not a fan of Dealz but to be honest. I'd prefer it to another empty building and there is way too many of those in Limerick already

Exactly, I like dealz on William St you get some good things in there at times plus is handy for the munchies and would have liked to see a men's retail store to locate there but at least dealz is offering an employment opportunity to some people.

I've joked as others have about the amount of pound shops we have but anything that helps get people off the dole and back into employment is better then another empty shop unit.

Exactly, I like dealz on William St you get some good things in there at times plus is handy for the munchies and would have liked to see a men's retail store to locate there but at least dealz is offering an employment opportunity to some people.

I've joked as others have about the amount of pound shops we have but anything that helps get people off the dole and back into employment is better then another empty shop unit.

While that may be true it is a damning indictment of Limerick City that one of its most prime retail units couldn't keep a stable tenant in Pamela Scott and ended up becoming occupied by a discount chain like Dealz.

I'm sorry but when these units were built, they were supposed to be for high street fashion stores not low budget glorified pound shops.

It is a blight on the whole street.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Red King wrote: »
    While that may be true it is a damning indictment of Limerick City that one of its most prime retail units couldn't keep a stable tenant in Pamela Scott and ended up becoming occupied by a discount chain like Dealz.

I'm sorry but when these units were built, they were supposed to be for high street fashion stores not low budget glorified pound shops.

It is a blight on the whole street.

And Supermacs at the other end is... class?, the sad reality is there appears to be little demand in Limerick for upmarket retail, if these business were profitable they would still be open, sadly, wishful thinking never paid the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

jbkenn wrote:
    And Supermacs at the other end is... class?, the sad reality is there appears to be little demand in Limerick for upmarket retail, if these business were profitable they would still be open, sadly, wishful thinking never paid the rent.

Agreed. So, how do we change that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Demolish the city centre and start again with better planning ha. Think the council need to bring in people from outside the city and even country who have experience when it comes to city planning. From reading threads here you always see some good ideas thrown about on how to make Limerick more attractive but when you haven't got anyone to take these ideas and put them into action then it's always gonna be a game of ifs and buts with some wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

You are asking the wrong person, I am of a generation that supports local, I buy my clothing from Mike O'Connell Menswear, a neighbours child, and my shoes from Nevil's Shoes, his family are friends of my family.
    My own children, adults, tend to buy in Crescent Shopping Centre or increasingly online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Anyone else see the big PS on the window? You have to look hard to see it

I noticed that as well. I doubt they'll take it off at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

jbkenn wrote: »

The thing that annoys me is that there is demand for upmarket retail in Limerick there's loads of it. Limerick isn't impoverished as some people like to think. Go into town on at the weekend and outside Brown Thomas, up and down the rest of O'Connell Street and in the car parks you'll see plenty of expensive cars a lot of them new as well there is money. Look at the shops we have in town places like Brown Thomas, Noels, Tony Connelly, Gleesons Shoes, Nevils Shoes none of these shops closed during the recession and all seemed to be still doing good business during the recession. We've also been getting investment from current businesses like Noel's opening the second shop, Brown Thomas putting in major work into the shop, places renovating like Figaro's. These places aren't investing if they're doing badly. You also have Starbucks opening up here.

The problem with the city I think is mainly is reputation if you have a company looking to come to Ireland they'll be dealing with real estate agents in Dublin who will most likely be more likely to recommend other cities over Limerick due to its reputation or else recommend the Crescent. Then you have the problem that there is very little free parking in town on a Saturday this needs to change. Why go into town where you have to pay for parking when it's free in the Crescent and every other shopping centre. The same goes for charity collectors etc who are always in town. Obviously the homelessness issue needs to be fixed as well. It seems that we just have a dysfunctional city and county council and no one promoting the city at a national level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Ive never gotten.anything in brown thomas except for the cosmetic part

Not sure what people are expecting the city council to do here tbh. They don't own the building. Its a retail unit up for rent. Are they supposed to say no..get a better tenant. Is that even possible? It's surely zoned retail..so not sure how dealz can be stopped taking the unit? Dealz are obviously paying the rent so how does anyone control this...I don't think they can say no to a business taking a unit can they or the landlord renting it to a significant retail player. Even grafton St in Dublin can't do that?

What are people expecting anyone can do about this?

• Advertisement

Dealz is opening because its so busy

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Limerick city centre died a death once the crescent expanded a number of years ago. At this stage, damage has been done and it's not going to recover. Not much you can do when all the middle to upper class live in Castletroy, Dooaradoyle etc and have no need to go into the city.

One thing the city centre does have going for it is a number of very good restaurants.

William street is like walking through a slum once you go past Limerick Sports Store. Limerick needs more Bedford rows but that ain't going to happen. The Pamela Scott unit needed a H&M or something similar but again why would a major retailer only come to a city centre that's only busy on Saturdays if the weather is good and at lunchtime during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Bored_lad wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me is that there is demand for upmarket retail in Limerick there's loads of it. Limerick isn't impoverished as some people like to think. Go into town on at the weekend and outside Brown Thomas, up and down the rest of O'Connell Street and in the car parks you'll see plenty of expensive cars a lot of them new as well there is money. Look at the shops we have in town places like Brown Thomas, Noels, Tony Connelly, Gleesons Shoes, Nevils Shoes none of these shops closed during the recession and all seemed to be still doing good business during the recession. We've also been getting investment from current businesses like Noel's opening the second shop, Brown Thomas putting in major work into the shop, places renovating like Figaro's. These places aren't investing if they're doing badly. You also have Starbucks opening up here.

The problem with the city I think is mainly is reputation if you have a company looking to come to Ireland they'll be dealing with real estate agents in Dublin who will most likely be more likely to recommend other cities over Limerick due to its reputation or else recommend the Crescent. Then you have the problem that there is very little free parking in town on a Saturday this needs to change. Why go into town where you have to pay for parking when it's free in the Crescent and every other shopping centre. The same goes for charity collectors etc who are always in town. Obviously the homelessness issue needs to be fixed as well. It seems that we just have a dysfunctional city and county council and no one promoting the city at a national level.

I dont think there is demand on a large scale for upmarket retail in Limerick. If there was it would be here.

I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination but i don't like to wear cheap/poor quality shoes or clothes. I have to go to Cork or Dublin for clothes/shoes or buy online. I cant recall the last time i bought any clothes etc in Limerick city.

If i was to make a mental map of Limericks clothing shops that are "decent" (for women) it would be BT's, Dunnes (Jetland), Flax in Bloom, Clarks and thats it!

Parchment wrote: »
    I dont think there is demand on a large scale for upmarket retail in Limerick. If there was it would be here.

I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination but i don't like to wear cheap/poor quality shoes or clothes. I have to go to Cork or Dublin for clothes/shoes or buy online. I cant recall the last time i bought any clothes etc in Limerick city.

If i was to make a mental map of Limericks clothing shops that are "decent" (for women) it would be BT's, Dunnes (Jetland), Flax in Bloom, Clarks and thats it!

Flax in Bloom new one on me?
    Theres shops on the fashion quarter but aimed at older and old money types.
    Celia holman lee and bloggers prob fawn on them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bigpink wrote: »
    Flax in Bloom new one on me?
    Theres shops on the fashion quarter but aimed at older and old money types.
    Celia holman lee and bloggers prob fawn on them

Flax in Bloom is located on corner of Chapel Lane/Denmark Street. It's definitely aimed at the older customer alright.

Funny story actually...there was a planning application about a year ago to turn it into a coffee shop! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

I think that something needs to be done to make the City more liveable. It would be great if there was a conscious effort by the powers that be to re-invent the accomodation and facilities in the city centre and make it a more appealing place to live. I know that Limerick 2030 is in the pipeline but will that increase the number living in the city centre? The increase in student numbers will help but we need more than just students living in the city.

The urban sprawl continues to the detriment of the city centre, just look at the current re-developments being carried out in Mungret. This area is now more or less part of urban Limerick when it would have been classed as completely rural around 15 years ago.

In my opinion one of the local TD's should be taking the article below and pushing that a second city be developed outside of Dublin and pushing for Limerick to be that city.

http://www.thejournal.ie/limerick-city-dublin-2-2723719-Apr2016/

jbkenn wrote: »

You clearly missed the point completely.

Supermac's was there long before Bedford Row got redeveloped. The whole point of doing that redevelopment was to give the street a makeover and attract better quality upmarket business.

If you can't see how Dealz taking the Pamela Scott unit is an utter failure then I'm not sure you understand what we are discussing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

Flax in Bloom is located on corner of Chapel Lane/Denmark Street. It's definitely aimed at the older customer alright.

Funny story actually...there was a planning application about a year ago to turn it into a coffee shop! :pac:
    And unbelievably it was turned down , the application said cafe should have said Kebab Shop

Personally Id love to live in one of the old Georgian buildings on mallow street or up that end of town, but they would cost a fortune to buy and another fortune to renovate so never going to happen. Its probably the reason most of them are in appalling condition or empty. Like most people easier live in the burbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

vkid wrote: »
    Personally Id love to live in one of the old Georgian buildings on mallow street or up that end of town, but they would cost a fortune to buy and another fortune to renovate so never going to happen. Its probably the reason most of them are in appalling condition or empty. Like most people easier live in the burbs

I live in one of the Georgian buildings near Mallow Street, and it's the best move I ever made. I'm 2 minutes walk from my office. Today I had to drive out to Castletroy to a meeting and use my car for the first time in 2 weeks. Of course I got stuck in traffic. I totally forgot how bad it can be. Really felt for all those people living in the suburbs who commute in every day and have to routinely deal with that. I really don't know what's easier about their life. My weekend was spent walking and cycling between The People's Park, The Milk Market, the banks of the river, The Belltable and various cafés and restaurants, and two gigs in Dolans. I don't think somebody living in the suburbs could have such a full, yet easy and relaxed weekend. Nor do they get to live in a truly beautiful building!

The buildings don't costs a fortune to buy and many are in better condition than you might think. Besides, very few people need a full Georgian building. They can be tastefully subdivided. You don't necessarily have to renovate the whole lot. For a lot of people one floor is plenty.

Advertisement