Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Must do some investigation so. Last time I looked any that were in reasonable shape were expensiveand still needed work That's a while back though

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

vkid wrote: »
    Personally Id love to live in one of the old Georgian buildings on mallow street or up that end of town, but they would cost a fortune to buy and another fortune to renovate so never going to happen. Its probably the reason most of them are in appalling condition or empty. Like most people easier live in the burbs

I think there are loads of people who would like to and be willing to live in the Georgian buildings however for this to be viable they would all need to be renovated around the same time and ideally by the one developer with a proper plan for the area. Otherwise someone isn't going to take the risk of doing up one of the buildings to have to two either side of them falling down. Sadly I don't think we'll see a developer willing to take the risk on these for a long time even then something will need to be done to entice them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Flax in Bloom is located on corner of Chapel Lane/Denmark Street. It's definitely aimed at the older customer alright.

Funny story actually...there was a planning application about a year ago to turn it into a coffee shop! :pac:

Well i posted about Flax in Bloom and i am 30 !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

vkid wrote: »
    Must do some investigation so. Last time I looked any that were in reasonable shape were expensiveand still needed work That's a while back though

Don't get me wrong, plenty are in a deplorable state. It's just that when you weigh up the costs (i.e. purchase, renovation, etc) and the benefits (living in town is seriously under-rated in Limerick in my opinion), then those costs aren't as terrible as they might at first seem, for what you're getting in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Camille Thai set to be opened in June by Joe Canning no less: http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/canning-still-insists-galway-can-dine-at-top-table-34659250.html

Bit odd getting a Galway hurler to launch a Limerick business :pac: Still, I can't wait for them to arrive and taste their yummy Pad thai and delicious rolls again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Major building work next to Milano. No idea what it is but it's ground and first floor. Whole front of the building was removed it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

zulutango wrote: »
    I live in one of the Georgian buildings near Mallow Street, and it's the best move I ever made. I'm 2 minutes walk from my office. Today I had to drive out to Castletroy to a meeting and use my car for the first time in 2 weeks. Of course I got stuck in traffic. I totally forgot how bad it can be. Really felt for all those people living in the suburbs who commute in every day and have to routinely deal with that. I really don't know what's easier about their life. My weekend was spent walking and cycling between The People's Park, The Milk Market, the banks of the river, The Belltable and various cafés and restaurants, and two gigs in Dolans. I don't think somebody living in the suburbs could have such a full, yet easy and relaxed weekend. Nor do they get to live in a truly beautiful building!

The buildings don't costs a fortune to buy and many are in better condition than you might think. Besides, very few people need a full Georgian building. They can be tastefully subdivided. You don't necessarily have to renovate the whole lot. For a lot of people one floor is plenty.

Is it not a hassle to not have a front or back garden? Don't think I could ever live in a place which hasn't got a back garden at least. Can definitely see the benefits of living in or close to the city centre, I live myself in St Mary's Park and it's dead handy only being a 5 minute stroll from town.

Is it not a hassle to not have a front or back garden? Don't think I could ever live in a place which hasn't got a back garden at least. Can definitely see the benefits of living in or close to the city centre, I live myself in St Mary's Park and it's dead handy only being a 5 minute stroll from town.

You seem to have the best of both worlds so!

For me, the garden isn't really important. Besides, I have the People's Park about 100 yards away! There's no shortage of green space to hang out in locally too.

You seem to have the best of both worlds so!

For me, the garden isn't really important. Besides, I have the People's Park about 100 yards away! There's no shortage of green space to hang out in locally too.

It's probably the only upside of living in St Mary's Park is the city centre being so close. If only they spent some of the bridge money on opening a river walk way along the side of the castle and city hall then the stroll into town will be even better.

But can definitely see a lot of the benefits of restoring some of the old Georgian buildings. I'm in the offices in the Granary above the Orchard bar and they would make great apartments (if the nightclub wasn't there obviously). It's something different and looks unique compared to some of the apartment blocks that are around town. City centre is a ghost town after 6pm and would be good to see something like making the centre more livable to give it a bit of life in the evenings and then we might see more places staying open a bit later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭squonk

So when is the Dealz in Bedford Row opening does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

squonk wrote: »
    So when is the Dealz in Bedford Row opening does anyone know?

40 Jobs popped up on indeed.com on Monday but looking at the store yesterday they can't be far from opening. I'd only guess 2 weeks.

There's lots of comments about the store on the limerick leader Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I'm glad to see a bit of a public backlash to this. Limerick finally seems to be realising that it's falling behind other cities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'm glad to see a bit of a public backlash to this. Limerick finally seems to be realising that it's falling behind other cities.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter how much backlash there is, there is little a local authority can do to stop a private individual/entity renting out their premises to whomever they want. Apparently this is a 15-20 year lease so they'll be going nowhere anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Unfortunately it doesn't matter how much backlash there is, there is little a local authority can do to stop a private individual/entity renting out their premises to whomever they want. Apparently this is a 15-20 year lease so they'll be going nowhere anytime soon.

FFS!

That's true and it's very depressing.

Any idea who owns the unit?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That's true and it's very depressing.

Any idea who owns the unit?

I don't know who owns it, but the 15-20 year lease info came form the Leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

**** it.

I don't blame people for just giving up on the city with the shower of clowns we call a council.

Red King wrote: »
    **** it.

I don't blame people for just giving up on the city with the shower of clowns we call a council.

While I don't think the council can be directly blamed when a private landlord lets a retail space to a discount store, there is a bigger picture for which they are responsible. In general, the city management is fairly poor. As detailed on these pages over the years there's a litany of amateurish decisions that betray the fact that they don't seem to have a great understanding of the city and are fairly clueless as to what Limerick can become. Are any of the senior executive management actually from Limerick? How many even live in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Quiz Clothing are opening in the Crescent, unit near the escalators in the newer part. Looks like more cheap tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Townie_P wrote: »
    Quiz Clothing are opening in the Crescent, unit near the escalators in the newer part. Looks like more cheap tat.

Still better than Dealz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Although I'm not in favour of Dealz moving into such a prominent location, I'd imagine it'll do a roaring trade so close to the Henry Street bus stops. Can't see people passing it to go to Dunnes either (for certain things).

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

are they moving or will they continue to operate both shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

are they moving or will they continue to operate both shops?

Two shops.

Stuff going on shelves when I passed at 8.30 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Still better than Dealz.
    True!
    Although I'm not in favour of Dealz moving into such a prominent location, I'd imagine it'll do a roaring trade so close to the Henry Street bus stops. Can't see people passing it to go to Dunnes either (for certain things).
    Dunnes Henry Street is struggling big time and has been for a while. Will be interesting to see if Dealz takes from or contributes to their business. I'd imagine it'll be the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Townie_P wrote:
    Dunnes Henry Street is struggling big time and has been for a while. Will be interesting to see if Dealz takes from or contributes to their business. I'd imagine it'll be the former.

How wonderful if dunnes ends up closing huge empty unit then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Permission granted for alterations to the premises on Howleys Quay that will become House Limerick.

There's still a 28 day window for appeals to An Bord Pleanala though.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    How wonderful if dunnes ends up closing huge empty unit then

I'm sure the people working in Dunnes wouldn't find it wonderful because they'll all be out of jobs.
    Vanquished wrote: »
    Permission granted for alterations to the premises on Howleys Quay that will become House Limerick.

There's still a 28 day window for appeals to An Bord Pleanala though.

House Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

House Limerick?

Chain of pubs taking over the old Clohessey's bar - http://housedublin.ie/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Looks like the Lone Wolf is going back to Club Molly's.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

An File wrote: »
    Looks like the Lone Wolf is going back to Club Molly's.

Thats been happening ages 2 facebook pages

Advertisement