Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

bazz26 wrote: »
    Chain of pubs taking over the old Clohessey's bar - http://housedublin.ie/

They just taking over the bar or the whole block? Something like that would be nice down by the river.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

They just taking over the bar or the whole block? Something like that would be nice down by the river.

Be serious rival for Nancys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Dealz is supposed to be opening on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Just the bar and the basement space. There are offices overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

An File wrote:
    Looks like the Lone Wolf is going back to Club Molly's.

They seem to change the sign over the door some nights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Berty wrote: »
    Major building work next to Milano. No idea what it is but it's ground and first floor. Whole front of the building was removed it seems.
    Passed it yesterday and it looks like Bon Secours have opened a medical facility there. It's another head scratcher. Prime river front unit that really should be zoned for pub/cafe/restaurant, which would complement Milano, Crust and the proposed House Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Townie_P wrote: »
    Passed it yesterday and it looks like Bon Secours have opened a medical facility there. It's another head scratcher. Prime river front unit that really should be zoned for pub/cafe/restaurant, which would complement Milano, Crust and the proposed House Limerick.

Bon Secours have been there for a while have they expanded? Ideally yes they'd be in Riverpoint or someplace but I think its better to have people like them in units than more places like Dealz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

panda100 wrote: »
    Camille Thai set to be opened in June by Joe Canning no less: http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/canning-still-insists-galway-can-dine-at-top-table-34659250.html

Bit odd getting a Galway hurler to launch a Limerick business :pac: Still, I can't wait for them to arrive and taste their yummy Pad thai and delicious rolls again!

Just spotted this now as my ban ran out this morning,
    Joe Canning is not just cutting the tape, he is the franchise owner of this venture, apparently it's a decent thai restaurant, not sure if that's what's needed now but what harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Just spotted this now as my ban ran out this morning,
    Joe Canning is not just cutting the tape, he is the franchise owner of this venture, apparently it's a decent thai restaurant, not sure if that's what's needed now but what harm.

From what I was told, 3 guys in this franchise. Joe Canning packed in his job and will be on the ground in there.

It's a nice place in Dublin and the ones up there do a lot of takeaway/deliveries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Just spotted this now as my ban ran out this morning, Joe Canning is not just cutting the tape, he is the franchise owner of this venture, apparently it's a decent thai restaurant, not sure if that's what's needed now but what harm.

It's more than decent. Proper healthy Thai food. Will be a great alternative for those of us who want a healthy takeaway on a Saturday night. It could also give la cucina a run for its money imo.

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I know, it was Wavefront previously. I'm just saying all that river front area should really be zoned for cafés/hospitality at street level, especially since the council invested in the riverfront and boardwalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I know, it was Wavefront previously. I'm just saying all that river front area should really be zoned for cafés/hospitality at street level, especially since the council invested in the riverfront and boardwalk.

There is very little footfall down there at the moment though. I find it's somewhere I only end up if I purposely go there. You rarely pass through to go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Have the council even got the power to do that or is there sod all they can do because the buildings are privately owned? Would be nice to see them try do something like that with the market area and some of the derelict buildings around the area before they are transformed into kebab shops.

Have the council even got the power to do that or is there sod all they can do because the buildings are privately owned? Would be nice to see them try do something like that with the market area and some of the derelict buildings around the area before they are transformed into kebab shops.

I'm not sure. You can zone an area for commercial/retail, you can also zone an area for Tourism & Related which can include hotels. Which of those zones it is that bars, restaurants, cafés etc fall in to I'm not sure. I'm not sure how retrospective zoning would work either.

http://www.myplan.ie/viewer/gztcoderef.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Centra William Street is being refitted now as well. It will be like its sister shop on O'Connell Street (albeit a bit smaller)!

Anyone tried the new Shisha place where Cafe Noir used to be? Has it opened yet? I'm dying to try it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

That's just Cedar House/Mejana

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

zulutango wrote: »
    I live in one of the Georgian buildings near Mallow Street, and it's the best move I ever made. I'm 2 minutes walk from my office. Today I had to drive out to Castletroy to a meeting and use my car for the first time in 2 weeks. Of course I got stuck in traffic. I totally forgot how bad it can be. Really felt for all those people living in the suburbs who commute in every day and have to routinely deal with that.

Where did you have your car parked up for the 2 weeks?

Has the White House pub changed hands anyone hear?

• Advertisement

Red King wrote: »
    That's just Cedar House/Mejana

Are you sure? Looked like a new falael and sisha bar when I passed it at the weekend?

panda100 wrote: »
    Are you sure? Looked like a new falael and sisha bar when I passed it at the weekend?

Yeah I'm sure. Cedar House is their sister restaurant.

They were both operating out of Mejana but now Cedar House is getting its own premises.

Yeah sign says Cedar House
    Altho its a nice unit ut might be a classier kebab place
    Wonder will they serve drink all night like thomas street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Where did you have your car parked up for the 2 weeks?

Currently I'm able to avail of a relations driveway across the river because he is based overseas for most of the year and doesn't have a car in Limerick. For that reason I haven't bothered to get the on-street parking permit, but I often park at weekends on the street outside and there's never been an issue. I'm thinking of getting rid of the car altogether now though, because I've very little need for it and it's just not worth paying tax, insurance, maintenance for a vehicle I rarely use. It would be cheaper to rent a car for the times that I do need one. It would be great for me if Go Car set up in Limerick. They're in Dublin and Cork already.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Currently I'm able to avail of a relations driveway across the river because he is based overseas for most of the year and doesn't have a car in Limerick. For that reason I haven't bothered to get the on-street parking permit, but I often park at weekends on the street outside and there's never been an issue. I'm thinking of getting rid of the car altogether now though, because I've very little need for it and it's just not worth paying tax, insurance, maintenance for a vehicle I rarely use. It would be cheaper to rent a car for the times that I do need one. It would be great for me if Go Car set up in Limerick. They're in Dublin and Cork already.

This is a great idea, especially for people like yourself who don't rely on a car on a day to day basis. It was in Canada (Car2go I think was the name of the company there) when I lived there and its an ideal service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Once Limerick has a city centre population (as it used to have) then something like Go Car might be viable. At the moment most Limerick folks live very car-dependent lives. It seems to be changing though. The rents in the city centre are increasing and that's a sign that people are beginning to choose the centre over the suburbs again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Once Limerick has a city centre population (as it used to have) then something like Go Car might be viable. At the moment most Limerick folks live very car-dependent lives. It seems to be changing though. The rents in the city centre are increasing and that's a sign that people are beginning to choose the centre over the suburbs again.

Limerick needs to have more designated cycle lanes for more people to consider cycling around. I cycle to work each day and to be honest i am rethinking it since last week where 4 cars clipped my elbow/grazed my jacket as they drove past me.

Hopefully more people will consider it but it needs to be made safer.

I don't feel safe cycling in the city. Especially Patrick street from Arthurs Quay towards the Hunt and Locke Bar.

Parchment wrote: »
    Limerick needs to have more designated cycle lanes for more people to consider cycling around. I cycle to work each day and to be honest i am rethinking it since last week where 4 cars clipped my elbow/grazed my jacket as they drove past me.

Hopefully more people will consider it but it needs to be made safer.

The lack of cycle lanes in the city is a disgrace. Shouldn't Limerick smarter travel be campaigning on this? They don't seem to do much on cycling infrastructure in the city, they just appear to do bike checks and maintenance in the Milk Market every now and again.

For me though there needs to be a huge attitude and awareness shift in drivers toward cyclists in the city. I regularly get beeped at for no reason, doors opened right in front of me. It can be a very frightening experience cycling in Limerick.

• Advertisement

Smarter travel limerick another quango no doubt

Advertisement