Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

panda100 wrote: »
    The lack of cycle lanes in the city is a disgrace. Shouldn't Limerick smarter travel be campaigning on this? They don't seem to do much on cycling infrastructure in the city, they just appear to do bike checks and maintenance in the Milk Market every now and again.

For me though there needs to be a huge attitude and awareness shift in drivers toward cyclists in the city. I regularly get beeped at for no reason, doors opened right in front of me. It can be a very frightening experience cycling in Limerick.

Im not really sure what Limerick Smarter Travel actually do. They organise the most random events and dont actually seem to impact on people who cycle as commuters.

I can add to your random beeping/door opening - i had a middle aged woman scream at me out her car window for using the right lane at the end of the South Circular Road (near the church) as i was turning right. She was so angry.

A guy once clipped my elbow with his mirror - i saw him pull into a petrol station ahead so i stopped and asked him how would he feel if someone did that to his wife/sister/brother/child if they were cycling and he just ignored me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Parchment wrote:
    Limerick needs to have more designated cycle lanes for more people to consider cycling around. I cycle to work each day and to be honest i am rethinking it since last week where 4 cars clipped my elbow/grazed my jacket as they drove past me. Hopefully more people will consider it but it needs to be made safer.

It's a bit counter-intuitive, but designated cycle lanes aren't always the answer, especially in city centres. Having distinctions between drivers and cyclists causes drivers to drive faster and more dangerously. A more effective approach is to not have dedicated lanes for cars and bikes but to reduce car traffic volumes and/or slow it down. A lot could be done in Limerick in this regard. As a city centre we are way too deferential to cars and that needs to change.

zulutango wrote: »
    It's a bit counter-intuitive, but designated cycle lanes aren't always the answer, especially in city centres. Having distinctions between drivers and cyclists causes drivers to drive faster and more dangerously. A more effective approach is to not have dedicated lanes for cars and bikes but to reduce car traffic volumes and/or slow it down. A lot could be done in Limerick in this regard. As a city centre we are way too deferential to cars and that needs to change.

Well as someone who cycles daily across the city - i feel much safer when there is a designated cycle lane. I have my own space and cars have theirs and i find it is generally respected.

I often cycle on an empty foothpath if its available as its so much safer - the area from the Peony Court to the hill before the Crescent forces me to do that regularly. Thats the stretch of road that i have had many close calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

panda100 wrote:
    For me though there needs to be a huge attitude and awareness shift in drivers toward cyclists in the city. I regularly get beeped at for no reason, doors opened right in front of me. It can be a very frightening experience cycling in Limerick.

I can relate to the random beeping I've no idea what's it's about.

I also get the odd words shouted out the window at me from a passing car

I always wondered what the smarter travel is supposed to be? I think it just one of those things that they can say yeah were a smarter travel city on tourism and marketing stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Smarter Travel have been involved in the laying of a good riverside path in Shannonfields, plenty of room for cyclists and walkers. Also involved in the cycle paths along the canal and out towards UL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

dunworth1 wrote:
    I can relate to the random beeping I've no idea what's it's about.

I got a loud beep last week when approaching the traffic lights near gleesons sports scene. It frighted the life out of me tbh. Then two grown men with smirks on their faces asked me if I wanted to race them. It's like the men of Limerick have never seen a female cyclist before.

I think drivers in limerick aren't used to cyclists so just beep at them for no apparent reasons.

Smarter travel should be doing awareness campaigns on these issues with the council. Yet they just sit in their offices in UL doing sweet feck all.

panda100 wrote: »
    I got a loud beep last week when approaching the traffic lights near gleesons sports scene. It frighted the life out of me tbh. Then two grown men with smirks on their faces asked me if I wanted to race them. It's like the men of Limerick have never seen a female cyclist before.

I think drivers in limerick aren't used to cyclists so just beep at them for no apparent reasons.

Smarter travel should be doing awareness campaigns on these issues with the council. Yet they just sit in their offices in UL doing sweet feck all.

Yes - there is a huge amount of sexual harassment when a female cycle too. i tuck my ponytail into my jacket and that seems to attract less attention.

Im with you regarding Limerick Smarter Travel. They dont seem to address areas that actually need action - they seem to go for areas that are easy to manipulate such as the route to UL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Parchment wrote: »
    Yes - there is a huge amount of sexual harassment when a female cycle too. i tuck my ponytail into my jacket and that seems to attract less attention.

Im with you regarding Limerick Smarter Travel. They dont seem to address areas that actually need action - they seem to go for areas that are easy to manipulate such as the route to UL.

Sexual harassment? I don't doubt that many cyclists get abuse from morons in cars but sexual harassment? Care to elaborate? Did you report it?

Red King wrote: »
    Sexual harassment? I don't doubt that many cyclists get abuse from morons in cars but sexual harassment? Care to elaborate? Did you report it?

You're obviously not a woman who cycles (or goes anywhere) - beeping, shouting out windows, comments at traffic lights. You get used to it - sadly.

Report it? I cant imagine going to Henry Street and telling them what happened, giving a reg and then taking the whole thing to court. This is real life and that wont happen.

I carry on and just block it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Amazing what passes for entertainment in the minds of simple minded yokes driving cars alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

There is a Costcutter opening soon on O'Connell Street. Anyone looking for a job is to apply to the Jasmine Palace website. I'm thinking it'll probably go into the former Imasa/Toyshop unit on O'Connell Street as it is owned by the Jasmine Group afaik.

You're obviously not a woman who cycles (or goes anywhere) - beeping, shouting out windows, comments at traffic lights. You get used to it - sadly.

Report it? I cant imagine going to Henry Street and telling them what happened, giving a reg and then taking the whole thing to court. This is real life and that wont happen.

I carry on and just block it out.

Happens to guys too. I regularly get comments when I'm running around the city from women who think they are being funny and original. I don't think sexism or harassment is the preserve of either of the sexes.

There's some comments above about Limerick Smarter Travel and uncertainty about who they are and what they do.

My understanding is that there was a competition between local authorities all over Ireland about 5 years ago to be a 'smarter travel demonstration city'. The prize was about €10 million in funding to implement smarter travel initiatives and get people out of cars and onto bikes and public transport. Limerick City Council joined forces with Limerick County Council (in a rare moment of co-operation!) and together they teamed up with the University of Limerick Architecture Dept. and put in a bid, and won.

A criticism in the early days was that they simply hired a lot of graduate architects from UL and one of the head co-ordinators was also an architect, and I don't know if they had any qualified transport planners on board. They are now effectively an arm of Limerick City & County Council (with offices in The Granary building and possibly UL too) and they have an input into planning applications.

I think it's the final year of the programme and it's up to others to judge whether they have achieved good value for the €10 million cost of it. There were very definite objectives set out in the beginning in terms of bringing about a 'modal shift' in how people in Limerick get around the place but I can't find mention of these on their website, which is here - https://smartertravel.limerick.ie/.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

There is a Costcutter opening soon on O'Connell Street. Anyone looking for a job is to apply to the Jasmine Palace website. I'm thinking it'll probably go into the former Imasa/Toyshop unit on O'Connell Street as it is owned by the Jasmine Group afaik.

Oh wow! Another exciting addition to the city centre!:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Vanquished wrote: »
    Oh wow! Another exciting addition to the city centre!:rolleyes:

Centra is a serious shop will be hard to compete

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

bigpink wrote: »
    Centra is a serious shop will be hard to compete

Ya they did a great job at it. I saw on here the other Centra in town is being done similarly I can't see what Costcutter are going to add to compete with them especially with a Dunnes and Tesco in town.

I'd love if a Lidl or Aldi opened in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Bored_lad wrote: »
    Ya they did a great job at it. I saw on here the other Centra in town is being done similarly I can't see what Costcutter are going to add to compete with them especially with a Dunnes and Tesco in town.
    It's another shop in town. It's positive whatever the case. That street needs to be cleaned up though. Junkies fighting at 10am yesterday morning outside subway. Also seen a new worrying trend of rough sleepers on O'Connell Street. Is that because they feel safer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

It's another shop in town. It's positive whatever the case. That street needs to be cleaned up though. Junkies fighting at 10am yesterday morning outside subway. Also seen a new worrying trend of rough sleepers on O'Connell Street. Is that because they feel safer?

O'Connell Street should be our premier commercial street lined with quality retailers; a healthy mix of high street brands and independents along with restaurants, cafes etc. Unfortunately it has regressed massively over the last decade or so to an extent where it's now dominated by the likes of junk food outlets. Another convenience store does not improve the offering!

We need a strategy to attract higher order retailers to the street. Hopefully the long awaited remodelling project might herald the beginning of a change in fortunes.

Vanquished wrote: »
    O'Connell Street should be our premier commercial street lined with quality retailers; a healthy mix of high street brands and independents along with restaurants, cafes etc. Unfortunately it has regressed massively over the last decade or so to an extent where it's now dominated by the likes of junk food outlets. Another convenience store does not improve the offering!

We need a strategy to attract higher order retailers to the street. Hopefully the long awaited remodelling project might herald the beginning of a change in fortunes.

I dont think high end retailers are in Limerick as there isn't a demand for them here. There obviously is a demand for Dealz - its packed all the time. Thats why we are getting a huge Dealz.

If i was a higher-end retailer I wouldnt consider Limerick for a location - Cork, Galway and Dublin are the real only cities higher end shops work in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Dublin is the only real option for true high end retailers. Galway is poor as well for shopping IMO. Its even worse for cafes and restaurants and has quite a few shops on the main street selling touristy junk.

Until there are some kind of significant demographic changes it's difficult to see high end retailers setting up here. Perhaps in the suburbs, but the city centre at the moment can't be particularly attractive to them. A lot needs to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭phog

Until there are some kind of significant demographic changes it's difficult to see high end retailers setting up here. Perhaps in the suburbs, but the city centre at the moment can't be particularly attractive to them. A lot needs to change.

Make the city a car friendly city and encourage people to drive into the city, do some shopping and enjoy the day out.

phog wrote:
    Make the city a car friendly city and encourage people to drive into the city, do some shopping and enjoy the day out.

:D

Sadly, the powers that be seem to think along these lines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

phog wrote: »

That's all well and good when the sun is shining.

I think Phog was taking the piss out of the council. This is the level of their thinking.

:D

Sadly, the powers that be seem to think along these lines.

Do they? They've a funny way of showing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

I dont think high end retailers are in Limerick as there isn't a demand for them here. There obviously is a demand for Dealz - its packed all the time. Thats why we are getting a huge Dealz.

If i was a higher-end retailer I wouldnt consider Limerick for a location - Cork, Galway and Dublin are the real only cities higher end shops work in.

I'm sorry but I don't see this. There is plenty of demand for high end retailers in Limerick but as Zulutango says below the problem is more down to the fact that the city isn't particularly attractive to them.

Do you think demographics are really the issue? I think it is more down to the horrible mismanagement of the city and its environs rather than purely demographics. Maybe that is a partial factor but if the city was run and organised better, frankly if it was cleaned up, then I can't see why more high-end retailers can't locate in the city.

If people can drive to the Crescent (often going through the city to get there) then I don't see why they wouldn't go to the city under the right circumstances.

I think Phog was taking the piss out of the council. This is the level of their thinking.

No I wasn't, I'm all for city living but I think us country folk need to be accommodated too. Imho, what the city needs most of all are workers working in the city, office based staff that can create footfall at lunch time and after work.

You paint a picture of city living that appeals to you but ignore the life of those who might want or need to live outside the city.

• Advertisement

Red King wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I don't see this. There is plenty of demand for high end retailers in Limerick but as Zulutango says below the problem is more down to the fact that the city isn't particularly attractive to them.

Do you think demographics are really the issue? I think it is more down to the horrible mismanagement of the city and its environs rather than purely demographics. Maybe that is a partial factor but if the city was run and organised better, frankly if it was cleaned up, then I can't see why more high-end retailers can't locate in the city.

If people can drive to the Crescent (often going through the city to get there) then I don't see why they wouldn't go to the city under the right circumstances.

This 100 times over.

Advertisement