Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭lazyman

McGurks Golf opening in the old Champion Sports unit in Castletroy Shopping Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Am loving the new Dealz and the fantastic people it is attracting. Popped in for a look and was threatened by 2 scumbags.

Utter sh!thole. So sad to think this was a beautiful retail space a year ago.

Am I correct in saying the 5 star Savoy hotel is over this pound shop?? Surely it was the same developer/landlord that built the entire development so why on earth would they want a down market euro shop slotted under such an upmarket hotel? It doesn't make sense. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

ongarboy wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying the 5 star Savoy hotel is over this pound shop?? Surely it was the same developer/landlord that built the entire development so why on earth would they want a down market euro shop slotted under such an upmarket hotel? It doesn't make sense. :confused:

Money, the unit is generating money now as opposed to not while vacant...getting a high end retailer in there would be difficult, with the cresent and free parking

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

No.

There are apartments above it. The Savoy Property itself is a few buildings away. If you look on streetview you can see the entrance to the apartments between that building and the Electronics shop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Would they prefer a cinema/Maplins/PC World like the G Hotel in Galway :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Clareman wrote: »
    Would they prefer a cinema/Maplins/PC World like the G Hotel in Galway :confused::confused:

At least the clientele would be better! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

That premises was sold separately to the rest of the complex (hotel, apartments and other retail units) a couple of months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Apartments are over the pound shop but it's just down the road from the hotel Limerick city's only five star hotel. The apartments are fully occupied and I doubt the residents are too happy. I think I read something saying that that corner unit isn't under the control of the owners of the hotel, apartments and other units for some reason.

Red King wrote: »
    I was talking to someone who was in there over the weekend. They said it was laid out atrociously and makes poor use of the unit.

Anyone else in there since it opened?

Never thought I'd say it about a business but I will actually be delighted if they fail in that location.

I had a look at it last weekend and I must say they've done a magnificent job on chavving the place up! They've turned what was a well presented store in to a cheap and tacky mess! That yellow colour scheme is an assault on the eyes! The ground floor layout is a haphazard and ugly shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Work happening on what will be House Limerick, former clohessys. Seems to be completely gutted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

About time. I can't wait for it to open, hopefully it will bring back a bit of life to that area.

It is really nice to walk along the river there at night when the river is high and the swans are all along the waters edge. It is absolutely beautiful and all that is missing is a nice place to grab a drink and enjoy the view.

About time. I can't wait for it to open, hopefully it will bring back a bit of life to that area.

It is really nice to walk along the river there at night when the river is high and the swans are all along the waters edge. It is absolutely beautiful and all that is missing is a nice place to grab a drink and enjoy the view.

Hopefully they'll be ready for the summer.

And hopefully we will get a summer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

We'll live to regret that boardwalk!

zulutango wrote: »
    We'll live to regret that boardwalk!

How so?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

How so?
    It's taking up valuable space that could be dedicated to something more worthwhile like a Dealz/kebab shop/monorail station.

How so?

A lot of the same arguments against the footbridge apply to it. It was basically totally unnecessary and very poor value for money. As well as that, it ruined a historic quay wall. I wouldn't mind that if there was a good reason, but there wasn't in this case. And on top of that, it's a particularly hideous structure from the far side of the river (especially so given what it replaced).

They could have removed a lane of traffic as there is no need whatsoever for two lanes there. As well as being unnecessary, the two lanes promote faster driving and even following the upgrade work cars zoom down there. If they had removed one lane of traffic there would have been plenty of room for a really excellent walkway, so we'd basically have the same result at a far lesser cost, lesser impact, less visually intrusive, and also we wouldn't have the problem of speeding traffic.

While most people in Limerick do tend to like the boardwalk, they are making that judgement when comparing the result against what used to be there, as opposed to what could have been done there. If the alternative scheme that I outlined above (removing a lane of traffic and enhancing the walkway) had been put side by side with the boardwalk plan, it would have been a no brainer to choose the former. Of course that wasn't done. It was to be a boardwalk or nothing, much the same as we are to have a footbridge or nothing at Merchant's Quay.

A lot of the same arguments against the footbridge apply to it. It was basically totally unnecessary and very poor value for money. As well as that, it ruined a historic quay wall. I wouldn't mind that if there was a good reason, but there wasn't in this case. And on top of that, it's a particularly hideous structure from the far side of the river (especially so given what it replaced).

They could have removed a lane of traffic as there is no need whatsoever for two lanes there. As well as being unnecessary, the two lanes promote faster driving and even following the upgrade work cars zoom down there. If they had removed one lane of traffic there would have been plenty of room for a really excellent walkway, so we'd basically have the same result at a far lesser cost, lesser impact, less visually intrusive, and also we wouldn't have the problem of speeding traffic.

While most people in Limerick do tend to like the boardwalk, they are making that judgement when comparing the result against what used to be there, as opposed to what could have been done there. If the alternative scheme that I outlined above (removing a lane of traffic and enhancing the walkway) had been put side by side with the boardwalk plan, it would have been a no brainer to choose the former. Of course that wasn't done. It was to be a boardwalk or nothing, much the same as we are to have a footbridge or nothing at Merchant's Quay.

My memory of what it looked like previously sucks. Not surprised they would go for the most costly intrusive option.

That said, I don't think it looks that bad from the other side of the river.

Red King wrote:
    My memory of what it looked like previously sucks. Not surprised they would go for the most costly intrusive option.

It was a beautiful cut stone, curved quay wall. It had a lot of history too, but that didn't matter to the philistines in the Council.

The quay wall is still there. It's just obscured now by the boardwalk set against it. The support piles driven in to the riverbed may not be elegant but obviously are necessary seen as the boardwalk structure could not be cantilevered from the historic limestone quay wall.

• Advertisement

Vanquished wrote:
    The quay wall is still there. It's just obscured now by the boardwalk set against it. The support piles driven in to the riverbed may not be elegant but obviously are necessary seen as the boardwalk structure could not be cantilevered from the historic limestone quay wall.

My memory of the construction was that they ripped out the capping pieces and did irreversible damage. The stilts are awful. And basically the whole thing shouldn't have happened, in my opinion. However I'm aware that that's an unpopular opinion at the moment. Nothing new there!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Work being done on the building half way down the lane between EBS William St and Hickeys.

I'm very curious as to what's going in there. Going on its location, I'm not very optimistic but still...:pac:

Used to be a restaurant before EuroSurf went in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Also used to be Rlo's broadcast centre

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

I'm very curious as to what's going in there. Going on its location, I'm not very optimistic but still...:pac:

Wasn't it a clothes shop at one point too?

My memory of the construction was that they ripped out the capping pieces and did irreversible damage. The stilts are awful. And basically the whole thing shouldn't have happened, in my opinion. However I'm aware that that's an unpopular opinion at the moment. Nothing new there!

Yes some capping stones were removed but I also saw a few being repointed and reinstated. I know some of them were in a poor condition and needed repair. I'm pretty sure though that the planning conditions for the project would have stipulated that all original features would have had to be retained.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

The old Eurosurf is being used as a site office for the centra refurb

Passed by the other day and it did look like it was being used as storage space for the centra project. It's a pity as that laneway could do with an injection of life.

Hopefully they'll be ready for the summer.

They're eager anyhow. Work started within a few days of planning permission being granted. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. They have a lot of space to play with there. The ugly canopy is to be removed too and replaced with something less obtrusive.

Lets just hope there is no third party appeal to ABP!

• Advertisement

Vanquished wrote: »
    They're eager anyhow. Work started within a few days of planning permission being granted. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. They have a lot of space to play with there. The ugly canopy is to be removed too and replaced with something less obtrusive.

Lets just hope there is no third party appeal to ABP!

They would have to have objected at planning stage, and the planning file should show that. Not sure what grounds for objecting could possibly be.

Advertisement