Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hopefully they'll be able to stock White Gypsy beers so, seeing as they have a Tipp connection. They have some of the big Trappist dubbels and triples already (and La Trappe Quadruple :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

Doughnut shop on little Catherine Street opened today

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

sioda wrote: »
    Doughnut shop on little Catherine Street opened today

Got doughnuts from there today. They were very nice, lots of icing and toppings on them. They also weren't too heavy on the stomach either. Seemed to be pretty busy when I was there, hopefully they will continue to do a great trade there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just called in to the Funky Donut Co and they had only 2 donuts left! They said they had sold out 5 times today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

The prices they are charging are crazy though. 3 euro for a donut? 3 euro for a small Latte?

No way in hell I'd pay 6 euro for a donut and small latte. It's a rip-off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Had the snickers donut from Funky Donut & Co today. So nice! Light too. Not like the bricks in Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Exeggcute wrote:
    The prices they are charging are crazy though. 3 euro for a donut? 3 euro for a small Latte?

I paid €4 for a donought in Angier Danger once and it was worth every damn last penny. If Dublin is anything to go by there's a real market for donoughts and people don't mind paying more if there good.

panda100 wrote: »
    I paid €4 for a donought in Angier Danger once and it was worth every damn last penny. If Dublin is anything to go by there's a real market for donoughts and people don't mind paying more if there good.

I wouldn't use Dublin as a yardstick to measure anything when it comes to the rest of the country. It's like a different country up there.

I guess we will soon see if Limerick is willing to pay these over-inflated prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Exeggcute wrote: »
    I guess we will soon see if Limerick is willing to pay these over-inflated prices.

We don't have to wait to see. They're paying it across the road in Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Jofspring

€3 is expensive alright but when you think about it how would you make any money if it was any cheaper? In such a small unit, it basically being your only product and being a local business it's not like you can mass produce hundreds and hundreds of doughnuts a day and offer them at cheap prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

They were doing an offer of a coffee/hot chocolate and a doughnut for a fiver. I would agree that they are a bit dear, however I think their doughnuts are worth it for the price. Costa and starbucks are easily the same price, if not more and who knows, other places may start offering doughnuts and offer some competition?

Lol the owner, who seeminglt is also behind Brimstone, is responding on social media to complaints about the prices with a right attitude. Comes across as a right arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Lol the owner, who seeminglt is also behind Brimstone, is responding on social media to complaints about the prices with a right attitude. Comes across as a right arsehole.

Any links? Curious here.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Ah now lads can we let this business succeed please? No need to bring it down so quickly. 3 for the type of donut they are doing is pretty much the going rate in all of the similar places in Dublin. It's a full dessert like, you would pay the same for an ice cream or similar. Glad to see this type of place in Limerick. It's smaller trades like this that will bring the bustle and footfall around the city at lunchtimes and weekends.

I was glad to see them open.

I hope the owner responds in a more constructive manner to feedback on social media for his sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I was glad to see them open.

I hope the owner responds in a more constructive manner to feedback on social media for his sake.
    Really?

Sounds more like you want them to fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I'd say youd be very lucky to come out of costa/starbucks/butlers/insomnia... ... with a coffee and a cake for €5.

You'd be extremely lucky to have a locally made fresh fresh cake at that price, rather than the longshelflife products some serve. (Not all of the stuff is long life stuff but you know what I mean )

They're luxury items. A treat. No children will be going to school hungry because of the price of smores ring donuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What's a Small Latte for €3?

Is it an 8oz cup, standard being a 120z cup?

For me €3 in a Cafe/Restaurant is quite reasonable. The price per donut depends on the bang for buck with flavours and toppings for me so I can't comment till I get in there and I will be in soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

And so begins....

Donutgate (TM)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

FutureGuy wrote: »
    And so begins....

Donutgate (TM)

Indeed. Perhaps, like the Burrito Wars, there's a Dublin or international chain that Limerick people can get behind and hope that it will "wipe out the local business, show them how it's done".

(Any negativity in this post is directed at this type of attitude, not yourself FutureGuy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭squonk

Just because a donut is 3 euro in Dublin doesn't mean it should automatically be that price elsewhere. Dublin is just more expensive across the board. I pay over five euro for pints in Dublin and I certainly won't be doing that down the country. The cost of living in Limerick isn't as high as other cities either so a bit of reality needs to be taken into account. A donut isn't exactly a pricey item to produce or one that requires heaps of skill either. I have to try the new place and I hope it stays gong but you have to be realistic in that if you're charging high prices and things don't go as well as you hoped, then you can't complain. I personally consider 3 euro for just one donut a ripoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

FutureGuy wrote: »
    And so begins....

Donutgate (TM)

I expect a frozen yogurt thread soon, after Doughnuts have morphed out of control as is the case with burritos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I expect a frozen yogurt thread soon, after Doughnuts have morphed out of control as is the case with burritos.

im opening a 24 hour burrito and doughnut shop in the urban gardens and ill never take holidays ever ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

So, are they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They are delicious. Went for a Salted Caramel and Fudge.........and a Chocolate & Smores (really marshmallow) donut. Very light and good to see new Limerick business in the city.

miralize wrote: »
    Really?

Why would I want them to fail? I was excited to see them opening but very disappointed at what they are charging.

I'm not the only one.

So should people just keep their mouth shut and say nothing? You do realise this is a discussion forum and that is what I was doing.

Unreal. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Waggaboo

It's not a rip off. It's what they need to charge to stay alive. To pay wages, to pay rent, to pay taxes, to pay rates. And those things benefit us all.

It'd be way better for them if they could charge you 2 euro because the laws of elasticity say that they'd sell more. So every rational retailer would do that if they could. But they can't. And that decision to charge 3 euro as against 2.90 probably keeps them awake at night. So keep your money in your pocket if you think it's too expensive, but maybe give them a break on the internet.

miralize wrote: »
    Really?

Waggaboo wrote: »
    It's not a rip off. It's what they need to charge to stay alive. To pay wages, to pay rent, to pay taxes, to pay rates. And those things benefit us all.

It'd be way better for them if they could charge you 2 euro because the laws of elasticity say that they'd sell more. So every rational retailer would do that if they could. But they can't. And that decision to charge 3 euro as against 2.90 probably keeps them awake at night. So keep your money in your pocket if you think it's too expensive, but maybe give them a break on the internet.

I was in business for 20 years I know all about overheads.

I also used to make and sell donuts myself so I know more about what is involved than probably anyone here. Hence my opinion on the price being charged.

If they can get it, good luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Waggaboo

I also used to make and sell donuts myself so I know more about what is involved than probably anyone here. Hence my opinion on the price being charged.

In that case, I'm surprised you don't have a little bit more sympathy for them. I'm surprised that you're not a bit more conscious of how damaging negative comments on a public message board are to a new, small business. But as you say, that's your right should you wish to exercise it.

You know what it cost you to make donuts, you don't know what it costs them. You don't know their rent, their rates, their insurance, whether they're servicing a bank loan etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Zero complaints that I can see on fb or Twitter?...

3euro is a pretty standard price across town?

If you think that's expensive I don't think you get too many coffees around tbh..

Advertisement