Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Like so much of the city centre there's such wasted potential on Cecil Street. The Theatre Royal/Limerick Athenaeum is a fine historical building standing completely underutilised. There are plans in place for a cinema and film-making facility but it needs a couple of million Euro to achieve this.

Even if the council displayed any initiative at all in improving the appearance of the street it would help greatly. Repave and expand the footpaths. Remove the embarrassing 1950s era ESB poles and cables and install some suitable street lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Vanquished wrote:
    Even if the council displayed any initiative at all in improving the appearance of the street it would help greatly. Repave and expand the footpaths. Remove the embarrassing 1950s era ESB poles and cables and install some suitable street lighting.

Close it to through traffic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

goochy wrote:
    Are things improving in City centre/ o Connell street at all ?

I think the general vibe around town is better. It's busier and people seem to be spending more.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭sleepyman

I think the general vibe around town is better. It's busier and people seem to be spending more.

I was in town on Saturday and it seemed very quiet.I wish buildings were painted/maintained more regularly.O Sullivans pharmacy on O'Connell St looks so much better with a fresh lick of paint.Dunnes on Henry St badly needs a paint and the glass panels that double up as bus shelter need cleaning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Was walking down Thomas Street today and noticed a lot of work going on at "The Old Fire Station Restaurant" - looked like it was nearly ready for opening (from the outside at least). Will be interesting to see how it fares out, being a vegetarian and vegan restaurant. I suppose they have their market research done but, it's hard to imagine that there is demand for this kind of establishment in Limerick. Hope there is though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

sleepyman wrote:
    I was in town on Saturday and it seemed very quiet.I wish buildings were painted/maintained more regularly.O Sullivans pharmacy on O'Connell St looks so much better with a fresh lick of paint.Dunnes on Henry St badly needs a paint and the glass panels that double up as bus shelter need cleaning

The signage over O'Sullivans Pharmacy needs to be sorted out. 2 different sized fonts and on a sign that looks like it's made out of heavy duty card.
    Was walking down Thomas Street today and noticed a lot of work going on at "The Old Fire Station Restaurant" - looked like it was nearly ready for opening (from the outside at least). Will be interesting to see how it fares out, being a vegetarian and vegan restaurant. I suppose they have their market research done but, it's hard to imagine that there is demand for this kind of establishment in Limerick. Hope there is though!

They posted on Facebook yesterday that their opening has been delayed due to structural issues with a building joined on to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

sleepyman wrote:

100% agree. Dunnes just needs a power wash on the Henry street side, on the river side it needs a paint..but so many buildings could do with a wash or paint. Drives me juts about limerick that people won't look after their own premises. Most of them would shudder at the idea that they might pick up the rubbish on their doorstep.

The litter is another bug bear of mine..and haven't really seen a change there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

PetKing wrote: »
    They posted on Facebook yesterday that their opening has been delayed due to structural issues with a building joined on to it.

The actual Old Fire Station :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

would highly suggest if you work there you don;t confirm or deny any rumors about the company that are made on an internet forum. just for your own sake

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Agreed.....

it was you i was warning, my post was aimed at you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Passed the old Riddlers yesterday and there is a new bar 'pharmacie' going in there. Looked to be very modern and stylish decor in there from what I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

panda100 wrote: »
    Passed the old Riddlers yesterday and there is a new bar 'pharmacie' going in there. Looked to be very modern and stylish decor in there from what I could see.

There is a pharmacy across the way. They will have loads of confused people going in for aspirin..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

There's a planning application in for a new bakery and car wash at the former Urban Co-op site on Mulgrave St.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Ya I passed it myself on St Patricks Day and its open for business. Not many in there but they had trad music going on.. Very low key opening though and couldnt find anything on Social Media about it

damowill wrote: »
    Ya I passed it myself on St Patricks Day and its open for business. Not many in there but they had trad music going on.. Very low key opening though and couldnt find anything on Social Media about it

Yes its very odd. It looks like a good bit of money was spent doing it up so I am surprised they didn't make more noise about their opening. It looks like they are going for a hipesterish type of crowd which could do well in that part of town.

Yes its very odd. It looks like a good bit of money was spent doing it up so I am surprised they didn't make more noise about their opening. It looks like they are going for a hipesterish type of crowd which could do well in that part of town.

Where is this place? Seems very unusual that they didn't promote their opening. Still, I'm all in favour of more bars in Limerick!

Where is this place? Seems very unusual that they didn't promote their opening. Still, I'm all in favour of more bars in Limerick!

It's on Sarsfield Street. Just beside Alchemist Earth and across the road from O'Sulllivans pharmacy. I will try and get a picture when I'm passing this evening.

It's on Sarsfield Street. Just beside Alchemist Earth and across the road from O'Sulllivans pharmacy. I will try and get a picture when I'm passing this evening.

Ah. I think I know where it is....must be the premises near the empty glass/pier one hotel. Well, down the street from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It is the site of successive failed attempts at bars so I wish them best of luck. The place did need money spent on it to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

Looks impressive from their Facebook page.

https://m.facebook.com/PharmaciaLimerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Mebeme

Was in pharmacia recently, v nice bar, 2 thumbs up. Hipster staff and (some) punters. Good place to have a few drinks before heading to house.. or just stay there as it's open til 2 at the weekend. Much better than the sweaty squash up in Nancy's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Mebeme wrote: »
    Was in pharmacia recently, v nice bar, 2 thumbs up. Hipster staff and (some) punters. Good place to have a few drinks before heading to house.. or just stay there as it's open til 2 at the weekend. Much better than the sweaty squash up in Nancy's

Quite a few new places have opened up lately. Thankfully, at last, there's an alternative to Nancy's. Let's hope they can survive.

In the last 12 months or so, we have seen the likes of House, Teds, Mother Macs all open. Plus the refurbishment of the White House. Now we have this pharmacia place opening. Looks like we've finally reached the point where Nancys isn't the only option for a night out!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thankfully not everyone thought Nancy's was the only option for a night out even before these places opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I see Cantina have opened in the topaz in thomondgate. Burritos, bowls and tacos etc. Burrito i got was very nice and 7.50 all in.
    Strange location imo but open 11-11 7days.

Went in to Pharmacia on Thursday evening around 6:30. Bouncer on the door (not necessary). Place looked clean and well presented, although I wouldn't say a fortune was spent on renovating it, new lighting does wonders.

They play up the cocktail angle, all cocktails on the menu (8 of them) are E8 each. My friend wanted the Long Island Iced Tea which wasn't on the menu, that was E11, a rip off for the cocktail it was.

Anyone who came in seems to know the staff, the vibe at the bar was very cliquey. The music seemed out of sorts to the venue which seemed out of sorts to the barstaff. I enjoyed my (small) strawberry daiquiri as I tried to piece it all together.

The owner paced up and down the bar looking at punters and checking his phone, was distracting. We left after the drink, in no rush to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

vkid wrote: »
    I see Cantina have opened in the topaz in thomondgate. Burritos, bowls and tacos etc. Burrito i got was very nice and 7.50 all in.
    Strange location imo but open 11-11 7days.

why is a strange location?

its on a main road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

Great news lads and lassies newmans cameras is now another phone repair shop

sioda wrote:
    Great news lads and lassies newmans cameras is now another phone repair shop

Have they moved or ceased trading?

• Advertisement

New coffee shop opened on the corner of Denmark Street leading up to Cruises Street opposite Papa's. Story Cafe, it's run by a guy named Rene who managed Fitto on Catherine Street. He's a lovely guy, very friendly. Place looked well, called in his morning for coffee and to wish him well. Another unit that has failed to take off, and the coffee market in Limerick is tough if not past saturation already, bit i wish him well.

Advertisement