Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Widening the paths and narrowing the traffic lanes on William Street has done little or nothing to improve it's appearance. Imo it's all pointless if the same grotty run down buildings are left as they are. The buildings on Wickham Street are even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Vanquished wrote: »

Agreed. It's a fairly dead street because of The councils response was that they needed to maintain the 2 lanes for capacity reasons.

Could be worth looking at making Gerald Griffin a two-way meaning only traffic for Upper Thomas Street and High Street would use Wickham Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

This is beginning to turn out like all the M&S stories at this stage! :D

From i can gather, they have hit several snags along the way but it is still on their agenda. I'm no property/development expert but maybe it has something to do with planning or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Could be worth looking at making Gerald Griffin a two-way meaning only traffic for Upper Thomas Street and High Street would use Wickham Street.

Might be a goer alright. Not sure how that would work with the inner orbital route though. That said the inner orbital route was rubbished by the Limerick 2030 report. A whole new approach is required imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

BobMc wrote: »
    was thinking same thing, and still think odd location choice

Why is it an odd location, Mother Macs is less than a minutes walk and then its a further minute and a bit walk to the Denmark Street area. Then you have to consider its at the end of a street which has; Coqbull, Cornstore, Still House and a possible new development into the old Bling Pig building. For me it's close enough but far enough away from the hustle and bustle of Limerick City nightlife. It's very much a destination venue, as people who want Craft Beer will go there regardless of its location, i just bloody hope they're going to open sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

JoeLapira wrote: »
    Guinness?? The bar was packed when we looked in so we didnt even bother staying for one.

I also heard over the weekend that GBB's attempt at refurbishing O'Donnell's is still on the cards.

Forgive me but what is a GBB??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mr.H wrote: »
    Forgive me but what is a GBB??

Galway Bay Brewery. They run the Salt House and the Oslo in Galway and a number of bars in Dublin as well as producing bottled craft beer.

Why is it an odd location, Mother Macs is less than a minutes walk and then its a further minute and a bit walk to the Denmark Street area. Then you have to consider its at the end of a street which has; Coqbull, Cornstore, Still House and a possible new development into the old Bling Pig building. For me it's close enough but far enough away from the hustle and bustle of Limerick City nightlife. It's very much a destination venue, as people who want Craft Beer will go there regardless of its location, i just bloody hope they're going to open sooner rather than later.

You might not have read some of the other responses, but it must be very hard to make a business work there because it's a street that's hostile to pedestrians, with very narrow footpaths and two lanes of fast enough traffic. Thomas Street on the other hand is quite the opposite. Not saying it's impossible for them to succeed, but the street design doesn't help matters. Would they have a smoking area out the back? The street definitely isn't an option for smokers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I'd have thought it is an odd location, purely because Wickham street is a mess, footpaths included. The buildings are in bits, and its hardly an attractive street(and it could and should be a nice street).

For a pub of any sort, to me its not the most inviting location in the world though, but sure whatever you are having yourself.

Maybe the new place going into the Blind Pig place, and the fire station veggie place might help. Craft beer alone wouldnt draw me up there though.

• Advertisement

vkid wrote: »
    I'd have thought it is an odd location, purely because Wickham street is a mess, footpaths included. The buildings are in bits, and its hardly an attractive street(and it could and should be a nice street).

For a pub of any sort, to me its not the most inviting location in the world though, but sure whatever you are having yourself.

Maybe the new place going into the Blind Pig place, and the fire station veggie place might help. Craft beer alone wouldnt draw me up there though.

I suppose the point I'm making is that the buildings are in bits, and it's generally a dead street, because the street is given over to cars.

If you reduced it to one lane of traffic and widened the footpaths then the buildings would become viable as business and houses again, and people would buy them and renovate them. But so long as the street is effectively two lanes of traffic with very narrow footpaths, then very few businesses or residents will be interested in moving up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

zulutango wrote: »
    I suppose the point I'm making is that the buildings are in bits, and it's generally a dead street, because the street is given over to cars.

If you reduced it to one lane of traffic and widened the footpaths then the buildings would become viable as business and houses again, and people would buy them and renovate them. But so long as the street is effectively two lanes of traffic with very narrow footpaths, then very few businesses or residents will be interested in moving up there.

As far as I can remember it was always busy with traffic and in the late 80's and 90's , was busy enough as a retail street. Personally I think its become just another run down limerick street, joining the wrong end of William Street, and Gerald Griffin Street...neither of which are particularly attractive in any way.
    The traffic is not the biggest issue imo, its the state of the street and the lack of many decent retailers up there, particularly on the station end of it..

Have to say , and not really related but after spending a fortune on it the square around Baker Place is also in sh!t. The paving is all starting to come up driving from Costelloes to the Glentworth Hotel, weeds everywhere etc.
    There is no point upgrading public spaces if the council are not willing to maintain them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Have to say , and not really related but after spending a fortune on it the square around Baker Place is also in sh!t. The paving is all starting to come up driving from Costelloes to the Glentworth Hotel, weeds everywhere etc.
    There is no point upgrading public spaces if the council are not willing to maintain them.

They've actually removed a large section (around a fifth I'd reckon) of the paving beside the clock tower and replaced it as part of the Davis St upgrade. So now it has two different types of paving.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

From i can gather, they have hit several snags along the way but it is still on their agenda. I'm no property/development expert but maybe it has something to do with planning or something.

Surely they would have at least have employed an engineer or surveyor before buying the premises and had something of an idea of the undertaking involved .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Walked past this the other day, definitely something going on there, looked like it was being refurbished. Think a sign said Flanagans of Ballina...could be wrong on that though

Walked past this the other day, definitely something going on there, looked like it was being refurbished. Think a sign said Flanagans of Ballina...could be wrong on that though

It was reported here a few months back that Flanagan's are going in there alright. Will be a great addition, I think. I do miss The Blind Pig though, but hopefully the renovated Daffy's on Catherine Street will be a reincarnated version of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Daffy's is being renovated?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

seachto7 wrote: »
    Daffy's is being renovated?

Walked past it the other day and it's been gutted at the moment. Someone said on here a pub reopening in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

That's a massive problem! It's incredible really that after spending millions on street improvement projects that the Council permits vehicles to park up or drive through pedestrianised streets particularly at evenings and weekends. The expensive paving on Bedford Row and Little Catherine Street in particular has been cracked, loosened and in some cases broken as a result! There's been no attempt to repair the damage either. Apart from a square of tarmac at the top of Bedford Row! :rolleyes:
    They've actually removed a large section (around a fifth I'd reckon) of the paving beside the clock tower and replaced it as part of the Davis St upgrade. So now it has two different types of paving.rolleyes.png

To be fair the cheap concrete paving along there was in poor enough shape. A lot of it was damaged. It's the same material that they put down on William Street and Sarsfield Street. It's wearing pretty badly on Sarsfield Street especially after only 6 or 7 years!

The new paving on Davis Street looks quite good actually. A badly needed improvement!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Vanquished wrote: »
    To be fair the cheap concrete paving along there was in poor enough shape. A lot of it was damaged. It's the same material that they put down on William Street and Sarsfield Street. It's wearing pretty badly on Sarsfield Street especially after only 6 or 7 years!

The new paving on Davis Street looks quite good actually. A badly needed improvement!

But the thing is that they've only replaced some of the stone along one side the plaza around the clock and left the rest untouched.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

jmch81 wrote: »
    Walked past it the other day and it's been gutted at the moment. Someone said on here a pub reopening in there.

Same owners? Always thought an alternative bar could be good around here to catch the pre costelloes crowd

seachto7 wrote:
    Same owners? Always thought an alternative bar could be good around here to catch the pre costelloes crowd

New owners. One of the lads who ran the Blind Pig has bought it I believe.

But the thing is that they've only replaced some of the stone along one side the plaza around the clock and left the rest untouched.

I know. The surfaces on Glentworth Street and Dominic Street are a mess too. Outside the scope of this project though unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 It Follows

Might be a goer alright. Not sure how that would work with the inner orbital route though. That said the inner orbital route was rubbished by the Limerick 2030 report. A whole new approach is required imo.

I can't remember if it was you or another poster who used the example of Groningen in Holland, where they made the city much more pedestrian/cycle friendly by dividing the city centre into quarters and preventing cars going directly from one quarter to the next.

But the system still depends on an orbital route for cars and I don't know of any other way around this for Limerick. The original orbital scheme was to direct traffic down Mallow Street (if my memory serves me well). Is there any alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

My dad was telling me there was about 10 pubs on Wickham street back in the day

Jose Maria wrote: »
    My dad was telling me there was about 10 pubs on Wickham street back in the day

I remember 7 pubs if you include Noel Edwards, The Dolphin, Sadies, O'Donnells/Rendevous, Flannery's, Sadliers and one opposite Sadliers.
    I also remember the pubs up there with the exception of Flannery's having a bit of a reputation for sporting activities.

A lot more people lived in the city back then though. Also, drinking and driving was commonplace.

The amount of pubs that closed is scary, perhaps a closed pub thread of Limerick for a bit of nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

jmch81 wrote: »

Yes, it is. 2 floors.

g

• Advertisement

Bella Italia are due to open at the Castletroy Town Centre in the unit beside Hook & Ladder. Permission for a change of use to cafe/restaurant has been granted by the council but this can still be appealed to An Bord Pleanala.

Advertisement