Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

bigpink wrote: »
    Old Penny arcade

A light shone in the night somewhere ahead,
    Blue turned into green and then it was red.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭goochy

was in limerick for the car show at weekend so popped by Lyons new Jaguar/ land rover place , while the building is bland but impressive enough the placing of the showroom is very strange !
    Its right on top of Ford showroom and its only visable when heading towards Tipperary !
    What were thinking ? theres no forecourt so all the non showroom stock is mixed in with Fords etc. - not what you expect for high end dealership who have built new showrooms.

Their Ford showrooms are quite small for a large dealer , assume though they are not building new showrooms away from JLR showrooms eventually ?
    Maybe its something to do with electricity pylon or Volvo showroom but why didn't they build it at other end of yard near Volvo ?

Rant over . lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ford seem to allow their network to have rather bland dealerships whereas VAG and others(even the crescent forced tenants to pay up for new frontage) stipulate you either build to their current model/design/branding or you're out.

Sheils in Nenagh and Ennis road are quite bland, Dan Dooley in Knocklong is bad(Tipp town is grand) and Nenagh is none better. If you really want to see the maddest dealer then here's one North on Nenagh. Sheils in Ennis is a large showroom where you can at least fit a good few examples of the range in there.

I like the showroom Lyons built although I agree with it's funny angle. It would have been better to build a dealership(afresh) at the back of the lot(both Ford & Jag/Range) because you'd have to cross the forecourt to get there admiring the used car fleet.

What about this in Ferbane? https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2711392,-7.8278528,3a,75y,311.19h,92.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sV3PdoksXls6cRIF-U52ZFQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭goochy

strange , they are still dealers ?

Think Shiels limerick looks ok but Lyons showrooms is very small for a large dealer - huge stock.
    Ford lost a lot of dealers in recession - though some were taken over by other dealers - with Fords assistance.
    Think they don't want to put too much pressure on dealers - cant believe amount od Ford dealers selling other brands from same showrooms.

A few

Shiels - plus Honda

Finlays - plus Volvo

Fort Blanchardstown - plus kia

Sheridans - plus Kia

Bolands - plus Volvo

Canavans - plus Sat

Tallaght - plus Kia

Cavanaghs - plus Hyundai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Dunnes have submitted a planning application for a change of use to restaurant at their empty O'Connell Street store.

• Advertisement

pigtown wrote: »
    Dunnes have submitted a planning application for a change of use to restaurant at their empty O'Connell Street store.

Hopefully flogging the sarsfield street unit is next on their agenda.

Five Guys

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Five Guys

Jamie's Italian :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

Nandos M&S cafe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Are people just throwing suggestions out there or is there any real basis for these?

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »
    Are people just throwing suggestions out there or is there any real basis for these?

Los Pollos Hermanos .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Los Pollos Hermanos .

Krusty Burger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Kebab shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

These tend to be the go to rumours when another restaurant is rumored to be opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My guess is another Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Well, I'd rather a Starbucks then for it to sit empty for another 9 years! :pac:

They're taking the pistachio but it has been confirmed that Burgerland is making its return to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

It just took them the 9 years to actually do something with that place. It's an awful building and really needs to be demolished and redeveloped. But that's unlikely for the foreseeable future.

Incidentally there's also an application in to change the use of the former National Irish Bank at the Patrick Street/Denmark Street corner to a restaurant at ground and basement levels

While it's obviously welcome to see these units being brought back in to use. It further highlights the struggles of retail in the city centre and the further dilution of this just emphasises the ongoing difficulties in attracting new retailers in to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Vanquished wrote: »
    It just took them the 9 years to actually do something with that place. It's an awful building and really needs to be demolished and redeveloped. But that's unlikely for the foreseeable future.

Incidentally there's also an application in to change the use of the former National Irish Bank at the Patrick Street/Denmark Street corner to a restaurant at ground and basement levels

While it's obviously welcome to see these units being brought back in to use. It further highlights the struggles of retail in the city centre and the further dilution of this just emphasises the ongoing difficulties in attracting new retailers in to town.

Of course the changing face of retail is what is causing the biggest obstacle, the movement of spend online is being reflected on high streets all over the world, and in our case, with our poor city centre footfall I can't see the shopping landscape changing that much anytime soon...

I am probably on my own on this but I don't see that as a major issue, city centre's are completely different to shopping centres and offer a whole different experience...major job announcements and much better accommodation is what the city centre needs in my opinion... but then I can't understand how anybody would choose to spend time in a shopping centre v city centre, nothing more sterile than a shopping centre...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Ye ****ing idiots....its where the monorail station is going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

dashoonage wrote: »
    Ye ****ing idiots....its where the monorail station is going!

I hear those things are awfully loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

I can't understand how anybody would choose to spend time in a shopping centre v city centre, nothing more sterile than a shopping centre...

Me neither. But unfortunately the retail offering in the city centre is so poor that trips to the likes of the crescent are a necessity at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

The people of Limerick should be rightly pissed off at Dunnes for leaving two prime retail units abandoned and derelict in the heart of the city. It is disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

[/B]

I can't understand how anybody would choose to spend time in a shopping centre v city centre, nothing more sterile than a shopping centre...

Free parking, roof over your head for when the weather's bad and no traffic would be three very good reasons why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Free parking, roof over your head for when the weather's bad and no traffic would be three very good reasons why.

Add a lack of beggars/chuggars/religious canvassers to that list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Golden Discs to open a unit on upper Cruises Street, apparently. Not sure where this stands with their concession in Tesco, but it would certainly be worthwhile to have a small unit . Former Urban Chic unit was mentioned, or certainly in that row.
    The lack of a music/dvd/cd/vinyl unit of any size once Steamboat moved (back) down to Steamboat Quay was odd. I fail to see how it was a positive move for Steamboat, despite the obvious rental price drop in the move.
    And yes, I know everyone says this market sector is in decline, but as I work in city centre, we are regularly asked, and not only at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

wnder would it be the mothercare unit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Not a business guru by any means but HMV wouldn't have closed their Irish arm of the business if they had money to make. Good luck to Golden Discs but I wonder how long they can last.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Not a business guru by any means but HMV wouldn't have closed their Irish arm of the business if they had money to make. Good luck to Golden Discs but I wonder how long they can last.

The lack of any meaningful competition might mean it may be sustainable to run a business like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i would assume that golden discs might be basing the decision off the the amount of sales through the Tesco stores here as that would surly give an indication

Advertisement