Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Does anyone in Limerick do anything apart from drink coffee? How many coffee shops/cafe's do they need?

Limerick City centre has a very big daytime population and it's likely to get bigger as more office space opens up and the Council prioritises the centre in the next few years. That means coffee and lunch type places will do well. Canteen is much more than a coffee shop in any case. If you're into healthy eating it's one of the best places in the city for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

zulutango wrote: »
    Limerick City centre has a very big daytime population and it's likely to get bigger as more office space opens up and the Council prioritises the centre in the next few years. That means coffee and lunch type places will do well. Canteen is much more than a coffee shop in any case. If you're into healthy eating it's one of the best places in the city for that.

Canteen started off very good - was in there a few weeks ago and I wasn't impressed. It's as if it's moment has already passed. Hopefully I just got it on a bad day. And energy is being put into the new place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

turbbo wrote:
    Canteen started off very good - was in there a few weeks ago and I wasn't impressed. It's as if it's moment has already passed. Hopefully I just got it on a bad day. And energy is being put into the new place.

I was the opposite to this. Went there a few years back a few times for lunch and didnt really take to it. A friend started working there a few months back so decided to give it another go and it really is high quality, tasty grub. I'm not usually in that part of town so I don't manage to make it up there half as much as I would like. I have a lot of time for the owner Paul too, who is passionate about good, simple food and isn't as 'showy' as some of Limericks other foodie entrepreneurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

panda100 wrote: »
    I was the opposite to this. Went there a few years back a few times for lunch and didnt really take to it. A friend started working there a few months back so decided to give it another go and it really is high quality, tasty grub. I'm not usually in that part of town so I don't manage to make it up there half as much as I would like. I have a lot of time for the owner Paul too, who is passionate about good, simple food and isn't as 'showy' as some of Limericks other foodie entrepreneurs.

I saw Paul at Electric Picnic 2 years ago and I was impressed - impressed enough to go and check Canteen out. He worked in the Fat Duck for a couple of years so I'm sure he knows his stuff. I truely wish him the best with the new joint and as I said I'm sure it was just a once off. He was talking about the new place 2 years ago - so it's not before time - I'm sure it will do well.

GAP is opening in the crescent

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Does anyone in Limerick do anything apart from drink coffee? How many coffee shops/cafe's do they need?

yep, 20 years back there were too few now there two a penny

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

GAP is opening in the crescent

When it really should be opening in the city centre. Limerick is an example of how not to develop a European city in terms of retail locations.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

JupiterKid wrote: »
    When it really should be opening in the city centre. Limerick is an example of how not to develop a European city in terms of retail locations.

Limerick is an example of two seperate local authorities competing against each other. The amalgamation of the authorities (or an boundary extension for the city) should have happened decades ago and we would never have ended up with multiple shopping centers just outside the city boundary. Unfortunately you can't remove them now that the boundary no longer exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what do you think of flying tiger cruises st...cheap tat? must say i like it..never leave the place without buying something:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Limerick is an example of two seperate local authorities competing against each other. The amalgamation of the authorities (or an boundary extension for the city) should have happened decades ago and we would never have ended up with multiple shopping centers just outside the city boundary. Unfortunately you can't remove them now that the boundary no longer exists.

Three local authorities, not two. Clare have contributed greatly to the mess also.

I'm not convinced an earlier amalgamation or boundary extension would have meant we wouldn't have these problems though. The current, reformed authority is making plenty of poor decisions which are right up there with suburban retail development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

It's example of the city centre not having big enough or adaptable units. Cruises Street units are way too small as are Arthur's Quay.
    Limerick needs an Opera Lane type development which has been very successful in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

It's example of the city centre not having big enough or adaptable units. Cruises Street units are way too small as are Arthur's Quay.
    Limerick needs an Opera Lane type development which has been very successful in Cork.

I love the Georgian buildings and grid plan for the most part but they really do restrict the size of shop/business that can open in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The Cruise's Street development is right up there as one of the most ill conceived ever inflicted on the city. The site was not large enough to accommodate the floor plates demanded by prominent retailers. The design itself and materials used etc are absolutely miserable! Of course the project also robbed Limerick of a 200 year old hotel that played host to so many significant historical figures

The Arthur's Quay development was an even greater failure considering the footprint they had to play with there. We now need to see the new Arthur's Quay "masterplan" progressing or else the opportunities for prospective retailers will be limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

People complain about the size of different buildings in the city being a barrier to new retailers entering the market but it's not incredibly difficult to renovate, extend, and amalgamate buildings. River Island did it on Cruises St and Tuscany have just done it with their Castletroy restaurant. If it made business sense to set up in Limerick city centre then companies would do all they could to open here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

pigtown wrote: »
    People complain about the size of different buildings in the city being a barrier to new retailers entering the market but it's not incredibly difficult to renovate, extend, and amalgamate buildings. River Island did it on Cruises St and Tuscany have just done it with their Castletroy restaurant. If it made business sense to set up in Limerick city centre then companies would do all they could to open here.

I think a lot of it is down to property owners not being proactive enough to make the best possible use of the building stock. Whether it's renovations, extensions, internal reconfigurations or even amalgamations, Georgian buildings are reasonably flexible. O'Mahony's bookshop provides a good eample of what can be achieved. They significantly increased their floorspace with a renovation and extension project nearly 20 years ago at this stage.

Some of Limerick's historic buildings are criminally wasted. Just look at the red brick occupied by Superdrug on William Street or the former County Club on O'Connell Street. These could offer so much more to the city centre than they currently do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Vanquished wrote: »
    I think a lot of it is down to property owners not being proactive enough to make the best possible use of the building stock. Whether it's renovations, extensions, internal reconfigurations or even amalgamations, Georgian buildings are reasonably flexible. O'Mahony's bookshop provides a good eample of what can be achieved. They significantly increased their floorspace with a renovation and extension project nearly 20 years ago at this stage.

Some of Limerick's historic buildings are criminally wasted. Just look at the red brick occupied by Superdrug on William Street or the former County Club on O'Connell Street. These could offer so much more to the city centre than they currently do.

Exactly, it's really only the facade that needs to be retained, most of those buildings retained none of their original features beyond the facade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

topcat72 wrote: »
    I seem to remember there was a huge upstairs space in the building used by Superdrug - it was an internet cafe at one point, accessed from the laneway between Cruises Street and William Street. Superdrug must have the worst maintained shopfront on William Street ( no mean feat in itself - the glass has had burn marks and cracking for about 5 years now, as well as peeling, no paint. Woeful.

yes there was used to use it myself back in the day

RLO also broadcasted for there for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

topcat72 wrote: »
    I seem to remember there was a huge upstairs space in the building used by Superdrug - it was an internet cafe at one point, accessed from the laneway between Cruises Street and William Street.

Superdrug is further up William Street. Eurosurf and RLO is further down (at Todd's Bow) by Shoe Zone and Lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Superdrug is further up William Street. Eurosurf and RLO is further down (at Todd's Bow) by Shoe Zone and Lifestyle.

You're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Superdrug is in the old Boyds Dept store building.

Lifestyle is where Burgerland used to be. There was a video rental place overhead/overheard next door.

Both Boyds and Burgerland did have 1st floors. Lifestyle using theirs though.

• Advertisement

Theres a Lifestyle on William Street? What?! Born and bred in this city and some things just pass me by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Theres a Lifestyle on William Street? What?! Born and bred in this city and some things just pass me by.

Seriously? :pac: Yeah it's been there over 15 years. It used to be Pound City before that! :p

Seriously? :pac: Yeah it's been there over 15 years. It used to be Pound City before that! :p

:eek: Oh my god!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

it does seem to me Limerick doesnt have the infrastructure especially in terms of units that are available for business office space or for retail use, and not just in the city centre. I know of two companies that are seeking middle sized units for office space usage but cannot find any suitable. it seems there are plenty of smaller units but Limerick definitely needs investment and hopefully the Opera Centre project and Hanging Gardens will meet those needs but we may be a while waiting for those to complete. If the infrastructure is there then its easier to bring in foreign direct investment.
    As for retail units in the City, i'd like to see the Council try buy the Dunnes stores building and open it up for use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭geotrig

damowill wrote: »
    As for retail units in the City, i'd like to see the Council try buy the Dunnes stores building and open it up for useknock it.
    .:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Or Force the Owners, Dunnes, to use it and their other building or force them to sell it. The council shouldn't buy it. They have proven with the Opera Centre they are NOT Competent developers and/or do anything they can to stop other people developing similar ideas who actually have International Experience(Parkway Valley - case in point)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

Does anyone know when Iceland will be opening? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There's a few units beside Glass Lewis on Henry St that are quite big.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭MrLaurel

Mc Love wrote: »
    There's a few units beside Glass Lewis on Henry St that are quite big.

Unfortunately from a retail point of view suffer from a lack of footfall but they are decent units.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Berty wrote: »
    Or Force the Owners, Dunnes, to use it and their other building or force them to sell it. The council shouldn't buy it. They have proven with the Opera Centre they are NOT Competent developers and/or do anything they can to stop other people developing similar ideas who actually have International Experience(Parkway Valley - case in point)

Why makes you say this?

Advertisement