Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

shanmo wrote: »
    Does anyone know when Iceland will be opening? Thanks.

At Watch House Cross? There's a sign saying the end of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

MrLaurel wrote: »
    Unfortunately from a retail point of view suffer from a lack of footfall but they are decent units.

Footfall could be improved with an upgrade to the footpaths around there. For the sake of a few parking spaces the footpath could be made much wider (with landscaping, seating, bike racks, etc) and this would help draw footfall to that part of Henry Street and provide more options for those units.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

zulutango wrote: »
    Footfall could be improved with an upgrade to the footpaths around there. For the sake of a few parking spaces the footpath could be made much wider (with landscaping, seating, bike racks, etc) and this would help draw footfall to that part of Henry Street and provide more options for those units.

Yeah a decommissioned traffic/right turning lane was converted in to parking space for 6 or 7 cars. The footpath on the opposite side is even narrower. A slight realignment of the road space and widening of the footpaths would definitely benefit business around there. I think there are 4 vacant units on that stretch of Henry Street between the Cecil Street and Shannon Street junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

damowill wrote: »
    it does seem to me Limerick doesnt have the infrastructure especially in terms of units that are available for business office space or for retail use, and not just in the city centre. I know of two companies that are seeking middle sized units for office space usage but cannot find any suitable. it seems there are plenty of smaller units but Limerick definitely needs investment and hopefully the Opera Centre project and Hanging Gardens will meet those needs but we may be a while waiting for those to complete. If the infrastructure is there then its easier to bring in foreign direct investment.
    As for retail units in the City, i'd like to see the Council try buy the Dunnes stores building and open it up for use.

The round building across the river from the Absolute Hotel has 3 floors available. We looked at them a few years ago but was too large for our operation. The ground is bare but top 2 are fitted out. The 1st floor is an orthodontist.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Golden Discs open on Cruises St now. Not sure if mentioned already. Selling mainly vinyl.

great to see a bricks & mortar music store back,

they have a great section of dvd's and blu ray's too all keenly priced...more than a match for amazon

• Advertisement

Vanquished wrote: »
    Yeah a decommissioned traffic/right turning lane was converted in to parking space for 6 or 7 cars. The footpath on the opposite side is even narrower. A slight realignment of the road space and widening of the footpaths would definitely benefit business around there. I think there are 4 vacant units on that stretch of Henry Street between the Cecil Street and Shannon Street junctions.

With some major new developments kicking off in that area soon (Hanging Gardens & Bishop's Quay) it's high time to start looking at how Henry Street works. There's going to be a lot more people walking around there and the existing footpaths won't cut it. It could be reduced to two traffic lanes (from three) with a removal of the on-street parking also. Access to Howley's Quay car park and the left turn onto Shannon Street could still be facilitated with one of the lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

It could be reduced to two traffic lanes (from three) with a removal of the on-street parking also.

Yes, lets reduce one of the busiest streets in Limerick, already choked with traffic even furthur.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The footpath on Shannon St on the Carlton block are lethal in the wet!

davo2001 wrote: »
    Yes, lets reduce one of the busiest streets in Limerick, already choked with traffic even furthur.

Firstly, the on-street parking actually hinders traffic so removing it would improve the situation. Secondly, the left-most lane serves the car park and left turn to Lower Shannon Street only. The traffic volumes using this are clearly very low, so you wouldn't be making the situation worse. And you'd be getting a very significant benefit in terms of the facilities for pedestrians, which are important, both for the pedestrians themselves but also for the local businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Surprise surprise lets get rid of more on street parking and remove lanes of traffic .........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

Mc Love wrote: »

I swear whoever decided on the limestone (that's what the darker parts are, right?) for the pavement in Limerick has a dark sense of humour lol. Considering our amount of rainfall, it's just ridiculous. Bedford Row is terrible. As is Little Catherine St by Beanati.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

phog wrote: »
    At Watch House Cross? There's a sign saying the end of October.

The last shop on that site had to close because so many people 'accidently' slipped and claimed insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

kilburn wrote: »
    Surprise surprise lets get rid of more on street parking and remove lanes of traffic .........

Yep, always from the same person too.

I've never walked down Henry street and thought that the footpaths were narrow. What a ridiculous suggestion.

John_Mc wrote: »

I've never walked down Henry street and thought that the footpaths were narrow. What a ridiculous suggestion.

Do you think they'll be wide enough when there's a few hundred more workers in the area regularly walking on them?

Do you think the footpaths on Wickham Streeet are wide enough?

Do you think they'll be wide enough when there's a few hundred more workers in the area regularly walking on them?

Do you think the footpaths on Wickham Streeet are wide enough?

I worked in Grand Canal in Dublin with thousands of worker in the locality and I'm pretty sure the footpaths are the same width or thereabouts. A foot extra isn't going to make the difference.

I'm not sure about others on here, but I'm really sick of your anti-car agenda.

John_Mc wrote:
    I'm not sure about others on here, but I'm really sick of your anti-car agenda.

I've no anti-car agenda whatsoever. I drive myself sure. My points are pro-Limerick not anti-car.

I've no anti-car agenda whatsoever. I drive myself sure. My points are pro-Limerick not anti-car.

Ah come on now, we've been here before over on the NDR thread.

E.g You're suggesting removing a lane of traffic on the road which, thanks to the one way system, pretty much all traffic is funnelled through so that we can have wider footsteps.

I'd be for this if it wasn't on one of the busiest roads in the city by the way. As I've said before, I'd like to see some roads closed off to pedestrians only but you can't do that without a plan to handle traffic in the city.

Ah come on now, we've been here before over on the NDR thread.

E.g You're suggesting removing a lane of traffic on the road which, thanks to the one way system, pretty much all traffic is funnelled through so that we can have wider footsteps.

I'd be for this if it wasn't on one of the busiest roads in the city by the way. As I've said before, I'd like to see some roads closed off to pedestrians only but you can't do that without a plan to handle traffic in the city.

I pointed out above how it wouldn't actually effect the traffic and that it would be a benefit to pedestrians and businesses. I'm repeating myself now but the left-most lane is only used for the car-park and turning onto Shannon Street. The volumes are very low and could easily be absorbed by the middle lane. The on street parking on the other side actually restricts traffic flow so removing it would help alleviate congestion. Basically, this would be a big improvement that would have a minimal effect on traffic. There's nothing anti-car about it.

Really? You don't think the foothpath on the La Cucina side between Lower Cecil Street and Lower Shannon Street is narrow? There's enough space for 2 people to pass but that's about it. Meanwhile we have a full traffic lane dedicated to left turns in to the multi-storey or on to lower Shannon Street which sees extremely light use. I live in the area and walk or drive down there a couple of times every day. That lane is a comlete waste of space!

I pointed out above how it wouldn't actually effect the traffic and that it would be a benefit to pedestrians and businesses. I'm repeating myself now but the left-most lane is only used for the car-park and turning onto Shannon Street. The volumes are very low and could easily be absorbed by the middle lane. The on street parking on the other side actually restricts traffic flow so removing it would help alleviate congestion. Basically, this would be a big improvement that would have a minimal effect on traffic. There's nothing anti-car about it.

I agree about the parking on the RHS outside the Savoy. Very wasteful use of the space.
    Really? You don't think the foothpath on the La Cucina side between Lower Cecil Street and Lower Shannon Street is narrow? There's enough space for 2 people to pass but that's about it. Meanwhile we have a full traffic lane dedicated to left turns in to the multi-storey or on to lower Shannon Street which sees extremely light use. I live in the area and walk or drive down there a couple of times every day. That lane is a comlete waste of space!

Well I don't walk the road as much as you but no, it's never occurred to. The left hand lane is not just for Howleys quay car park, you can go left there to bring you down to the river. I use it fairly frequently myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭geotrig

That whole street is a bit of a disaster layout wise for traffic , I dont think making the footpaths wider will improve business though ,there really is no draw to be there other than a bit of food , Most people would either on the street by the gpo or shannon stree anyway !! I do agree the parking could be got rid of on the right hand side

Well I don't walk the road as much as you but no, it's never occurred to. The left hand lane is not just for Howleys quay car park, you can go left there to bring you down to the river. I use it fairly frequently myself.

It's extremely narrow. Especially considering the amount of apartments and offices in the vicinity. You can really see the inadequacy of it at busy periods such as morning, lunchtime or close of business in the evening.

I already said that lane enables traffic to turn left on to Lower Shannon Street. But that movement with it's limited use could easily be accommodated by the existing centre lane.

geotrig wrote: »
    That whole street is a bit of a disaster layout wise for traffic , I dont think making the footpaths wider will improve business though ,there really is no draw to be there other than a bit of food , Most people would either on the street by the gpo or shannon stree anyway !! I do agree the parking could be got rid of on the right hand side

Yeah I completely agree. Even if you were to clear both lanes and make the footpaths wide enough for seating outside - who would want to with all of the traffic?

The way the lights work on Henry St is simply ridiculous with no thought put into them at all.

Lights go green for you but the lights are red at the block ahead and only go green half way through the sequence so by the time traffic in the block ahead starts to clear, your lights go red. It drives me crazy because it makes no sense whatsoever!

It's extremely narrow. Especially considering the amount of apartments and offices in the vicinity. You can really see the inadequacy of it at busy periods such as morning, lunchtime or close of business in the eu

Ok fair enough. It's obviously an issue so

Well, listen, rather than us all fighting on the internet why don't you go down and have a look. Go for lunch in La Cucina maybe, or stroll across to Arabica café on Shannon Street and check out how the streets work around there. I'm living near enough too and know the area very well and I assure you that anything I say here is not anti-car but rather an attempt to promote a discussion about improving our city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭geotrig

Mc Love wrote: »

Was this not treated or something (roughened up) ?, I went flying when it was 1st put down in the wet but maybe out of caution ever since have not found it as slippy

Yeah I completely agree. Even if you were to clear both lanes and make the footpaths wide enough for seating outside - who would want to with all of the traffic?

Yeah, the traffic noise and fumes would definitely make it a less attractive place to sit outside alright. But widening footpaths isn't all about putting seating outside. There's a lot you can you to make an urban space more inviting to people and that leads to an increase in footfall and helps businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I agree about the parking on the RHS outside the Savoy. Very wasteful use of the space.

Parking outside the Savoy is an absolute joke. Again yesterday you had cars parked with the arse of the car sticking out into the lane of traffic and even last week or could have been the week before you had a bus parked up outside the hotel taking up the right most lane forcing everyone to use the middle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Back to Limerick businesses actually opening....I've noticed a lot of work going on outside Katy Dalys pub near King Johns Castle. I assume this is being reopened, should do well with tourists around that part of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Back to Limerick businesses actually opening....I've noticed a lot of work going on outside Katy Dalys pub near King Johns Castle. I assume this is being reopened, should do well with tourists around that part of town.

The guy who owns the Locke Bar bought it. Will be a welcome addition to the area if its as popular as the Locke Bar can be. Hopefully there's more to come for that area which for a street that has castle on one end and a cathedral at the other is a shame to see the place in the state that it's in.

Advertisement