Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

There is not enough footfall there for an Easons all previous newspaper and bookshops got put over by Dunnes. The crescent would have been a much better idea they could have had a smaller unit for the price of three in the parkway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

Don't think so, there use to be a paper shop up there and it did quite well, plus will get the back to school draw as where can you get the school books outside the city centre? There is only that little bookshop in the Crescent.

I was thinking the school book trade too.

Also Google maps tells me that the Parkway is only 200 metre further from LSAD than the Easons in O'Connell Street is,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

bazz26 wrote: »
    that unit closed about 2 years ago.

They closed 6 months ago actually, and the discount bookshop is still there.

Are people really complaining about a shop opening and jobs being created? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They closed 6 months ago actually, and the discount bookshop is still there.

Are people really complaining about a shop opening and jobs being created? Really?

No, people are trying to understand why they picked the Parkway SC of all places. As I said the place is a ghost town most days and the turnover of buisnesses opening and shutting there is pretty high. I can only guess they got an attractive deal on the rent. Time will tell if it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bazz26 wrote: »
    No, people are trying to understand why they picked the Parkway SC of all places. As I said the place is a ghost town most days and the turnover of buisnesses opening and shutting there is pretty high. I can only guess they got an attractive deal on the rent. Time will tell if it works out.

My sentiments exactly.
    I wish them well though.

Easons is a franchise these days so I suppose they havent much to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

So some poor sod is going to loose his shirt, reminds me of the clever man who opened hallmark card shop in jetland the week after Valentines day.

Would like to see the parkway take off again though would be great i think they have planning permission in for some medical centre as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kilburn wrote: »
    There is not enough footfall there for an Easons all previous newspaper and bookshops got put over by Dunnes. The crescent would have been a much better idea they could have had a smaller unit for the price of three in the parkway.

Was no similar sized unit available in the Crescent and certainly at nowhere near the price of a Parkway unit. From what I hear of course.:)

Should be opening on the 7th July

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Kess73 wrote: »
    Was no similar sized unit available in the Crescent and certainly at nowhere near the price of a Parkway unit. From what I hear of course.:)

The unit where the jean scene was, is empty surely that would have been big enough. It's a huge unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

source wrote: »
    The unit where the jean scene was, is empty surely that would have been big enough. It's a huge unit.

yeah it would have been more tha enough, and could easily have been fitted with an upstairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Bit of activity along Mallow St. (mid-section)

The former Jake's cafe (not that it was there long) has opened as another Cafe.....Canteen Food (!) curious name but good luck to them. Place next door which was formerly an Antique Shop getting a paint/decor job while the old M-Sign graphics/arts outlet is supposed to be opening as either a music store or tattoo parlour according to one of the shop owners along there.

No harm to see something going on. That street is fairly dead as things stand.

• Advertisement

source wrote: »

Nope, a true upstairs could not have been fitted in that unit. A mezzanine type structure at best is all that could go there, and that would not have been a large one either.

Plus the difference in rent is huge between that unit and one in the Parkway due to the Crescent being a more attractive location.

There is also a degree of politics in the Crescent (and in other Shopping centres to be fair) with regards to a new tenant coming in that sells some items that are the same or similar to current tenants. With some of the tenants having a fair bit of clout with regards to what comes in or what other stores can sell.

I know for a fact that when Virgin/HMV moved into the shopping centre that they had to stop selling magazines thanks to another tenant not wanting competition on that front.

I can think of one or two other examples of other stores that opened in the Crescent or were looking to do so, that had similar demands put to them (as in a tenant raised objections and got their way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Soho market opening in the crescent in the old CPW
    They sell cheap clothes - womens. Not up to much imo but jobs is jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Would you happen to know if they are still looking for staff and where one might send a CV? Mrs h3000 is looking for some work.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

A couple of days ago I saw some people moving a vending machine into the shop to the left of Wok King (was once a small Italian restaurant I think).

h3000 wrote: »
    Would you happen to know if they are still looking for staff and where one might send a CV? Mrs h3000 is looking for some work.

Think the positions are mostly filled, but it would do no harm for her to send a cv and a cover letter to

hr@eason.com

and state that it is for the new store in the Parkway SC, Limerick.

She should also drop a cv and cover letter directly into the O'Connell Street store as there may be a staff member or two going to the new store.

Eason generally prefer if a person sends their cv directly to the store they are applying for, but the hr email addy is best for stores waiting to open.

Soho market opening in the crescent in the old CPW
    They sell cheap clothes - womens. Not up to much imo but jobs is jobs!

Too true. Every set of new jobs is something to be lauded imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Think the positions are mostly filled, but it would do no harm for her to send a cv and a cover letter to

hr@eason.com

and state that it is for the new store in the Parkway SC, Limerick.

She should also drop a cv and cover letter directly into the O'Connell Street store as there may be a staff member or two going to the new store.

Eason generally prefer if a person sends their cv directly to the store they are applying for, but the hr email addy is best for stores waiting to open.

Thanks a mill Kess73

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Too true. Every set of new jobs is something to be lauded imho.

Unless it's M&S. People hate M&S. :D

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Unless it's M&S. People hate M&S. :D

Poor old hated by Limerick M&S :pac:

If they came to Limerick and gave 40 to 100 new in store jobs, as well as a good number of add on jobs through cleaners, delivery men etc, I would be delighted to see them or any other large company come to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They probably would do well Kess too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Don't know if it's been mentioned but the old Spar unit beside O' Driscoll's in Corbally has been gutted and is undergoing some work inside. I've heard variously that it's going to be a new Spar, or an Indian... Be interesting to see what it does turn out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭MrLaurel

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been mentioned but the old Spar unit beside O' Driscoll's in Corbally has been gutted and is undergoing some work inside. I've heard variously that it's going to be a new Spar, or an Indian... Be interesting to see what it does turn out to be.

A Chinese or Indian restaurant would be ideal especially with O'Driscolls next door:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭adaminho

I passed the old book shop on Thomas street today and there is a planning notice in the window. Looks like another coffee shop is going in there. Also the Pizza Company are opening in the unit beside Wokking.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

adaminho wrote: »
    I passed the old book shop on Thomas street today and there is a planning notice in the window. Looks like another coffee shop is going in there. Also the Pizza Company are opening in the unit beside Wokking.

Is that the place that used to be a Mexican fastfood restaurant at one time? If so I hope they have better luck as everything that opened in that place didn't last very long. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

CiaranMT wrote: »

Turns out whoever owns it was told to clean the place out as it was falling apart inside and attracting rodents... False alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Louche Lad wrote: »

Not yet but looking forward to trying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

I know this has been discussed on this thread but there's an article on Live95fm this morning about the Eason shop opening in the Parkway.

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/eason-opening-new-chapter-at-parkway-shopping-centre/ada0c864-0306-4482-ac47-26fe72146eb1

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Very good.... I assume it's in the big walled-off section opposite Dunnes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I thought an Easons would create more than 12 jobs.

Advertisement