Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

mdmix wrote:
    a lot of bars/ venues opening this year. we will all need to up our drinking game!

Another boards beers? Its been 2 years since our last!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Where on Catherine st?:)

Where Daffy's was, opposite where Canteen is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Survival of the fittest

Which is why Boojum is expanding nationwide and why the likes of Badass and Mexican Food Dudes are on borrowed time.

If they didn't see this coming they've only got themselves to blame.

Sorry pal?? Should we all bend over and accept that the day of the small business is over because of our insatiable appetite to be the same as everywhere else?
    I've mentioned it before but I'm sick **** of hearing the same old nonsense about her manner and opening hours,
    She has always treated me well, will have a short chat etc, she's a decent skin, some of you would want to get over yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I don't think the comparisons are that necessary anyway. Just because two places serve Mexican food doesn't mean that they automatically cancel each other out.

Badass reminds me of a small hole-in-the-wall family run place (pros: more authentic food, cons: rough around the edges service, less consistent hours) while Boojum is a chain like Chipotle (pros: consistency, more polished service, cons: less authentic).

It depends on personal preference. I can't wait to try Boojum but I'll probably frequent both in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Sorry pal?? Should we all bend over and accept that the day of the small business is over because of our insatiable appetite to be the same as everywhere else?
    I've mentioned it before but I'm sick **** of hearing the same old nonsense about her manner and opening hours,
    She has always treated me well, will have a short chat etc, she's a decent skin, some of you would want to get over yourselves.

Good for you. She was pig ignorant to me. And plenty of others by the looks of it.

Take your own advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

The new nightclub at House is called Amber. Must be opening soon if they're advertising it in twitter.

Does anyone know what the story is with Flanagan's of Killaloe's new restaurant on Thomas Street? Seems to be work going on there for a year

Good for you. She was pig ignorant to me. And plenty of others by the looks of it.

Take your own advice.

Tell us about your awful experience so mate because my experience has been very different and the threads dealing with her business seem light on actual horror stories barring the poor unfortunates who turn up for a burrito during the times when she's closed every single week or when she takes her annual holiday.

Tell us about your awful experience so mate because my experience has been very different and the threads dealing with her business seem light on actual horror stories barring the poor unfortunates who turn up for a burrito during the times when she's closed every single week or when she takes her annual holiday.

First off - I'm not your "pal" or your "mate".

I stated my reason for not going to her business already.

You like it? Good for you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Take your own advice.

She was pig ignorant to me too and I saw her being rude to others before that. When I read some of the reviews people left on her FB, it wasn't a surprise that I wasn't the only person! The infamous burrito gate Facebook post had lots of negative talk about her too.

She'll still have her loyal followers who think she's just the best thing ever but Boojum will gobble up the lunch and dinner business fairly quickly. She might regret all the times she was rude to people who were her customers.

Yum yum boojum.

Are people not entitled to share their opinion Swiper? I'm sure there are plenty who are sick of people defending her behaviour too?

You like the burritos. Great. But people honestly can't have the tiniest negative thing to say without you jumping to her defence. Let people complain if they want 👌🏻

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Incidentally work has started inside Boojum's new restaurant on Patrick Street.

The **** storms that the Burrito has caused in the Limerick forum over the last few years is actually incredible. The Mexicans would be proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Brought a co worker up there for the first time last week, she didn't notice her behaviour but when mags asked her what beans she wanted, she pointed to the type she wanted, and mags just sighed and threw her eyes up to heaven. She had an attitude with me as well and the group i was with gave her the bones of 50 euro. I've already stopped going to papa ginos because he was ratty with me one night and tbh i don't think I'll bother going back to bad ass.

At least with a chain, you can address these issues without being told to get out. At least with a chain you'll get decent customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Vanquished wrote: »
    Incidentally work has started inside Boojum's new restaurant on Patrick Street.

Whereabouts on Patrick Street is it?

toodleytoo wrote: »
    Whereabouts on Patrick Street is it?

Think it is the old bank building on the corner of patrick street and denmark street

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Are people not entitled to share their opinion Swiper? I'm sure there are plenty who are sick of people defending her behaviour too?

You like the burritos. Great. But people honestly can't have the tiniest negative thing to say without you jumping to her defence. Let people complain if they want 👌ðŸ»

I haven’t a problem with a legitimate complaint like the one McLove made just made, it doesn’t marry with my exoeriences but it’s valud and would turn anybody off. This Vladimir chap (not my mate) hasn’t given any reason just wished this woman has to close her business and go on the dole while we all chimp on the same crap that everybody else does, presumedly while drinking a costa coffee from up the road and commenting to our of towners how hip Limerick is, this is my problem in a nutshell.
    And yes I do leap to her defense on here quite often, not because I know her or she would even salute me in the street, but mostly because I admire her running a more than decent food outlet as a one man operation, the fact that I’ve only ever seen her being friendly to customers in my 15 or 20 visits to her shop helps as well, the opening hours debacle on here and elsewhere is laughable, she advertises closures and she’s entitled to a life.
    This is s forum mate (you’re still my mate?) and people will have opposing views, mine are usually in opposition to the consensus because I don’t feel the need to comment too often in that situation, but I’m 100% genuine and I’m not picking a row. I would like people to back up certain statements though, same happened with the Mormons last week when I ploughed another lonely furrow.

I haven’t a problem with a legitimate complaint like the one McLove made just made, it doesn’t marry with my exoeriences but it’s valud and would turn anybody off. This Vladimir chap (not my mate) hasn’t given any reason just wished this woman has to close her business and go on the dole while we all chimp on the same crap that everybody else does, presumedly while drinking a costa coffee from up the road and commenting to our of towners how hip Limerick is, this is my problem in a nutshell.
    And yes I do leap to her defense on here quite often, not because I know her or she would even salute me in the street, but mostly because I admire her running a more than decent food outlet as a one man operation, the fact that I’ve only ever seen her being friendly to customers in my 15 or 20 visits to her shop helps as well, the opening hours debacle on here and elsewhere is laughable, she advertises closures and she’s entitled to a life.
    This is s forum mate (you’re still my mate?) and people will have opposing views, mine are usually in opposition to the consensus because I don’t feel the need to comment too often in that situation, but I’m 100% genuine and I’m not picking a row. I would like people to back up certain statements though, same happened with the Mormons last week when I ploughed another lonely furrow.

Ah Swiper, despite our occasional difference of opinion, you're still a great guy. Don't worry, you're not on my list of enemies :-D

I agree with many of your points in relation to Badass. I commend her for starting up. I told her as much when she opened as Limerick badly needed people to take risks and get us out of the doldrums. I think her burritos are very nice and she uses premium meats. I told her as much one day and she then asked my opinions on additions to the menu, a request that I was happy to discuss. I agree that her opening hours are hers to choose as it's her business. While it's not how I would run a business, I'm not p!ssed at her because she is not open when she says she is. As is intimated above, I had a really good relationship with her.

Then it all soured because I chose leave after she was really rude to a woman who was looking to use the bathroom before ordering. I saw her treatment and I decided not to giver her my business. The following visit, she was unbelievably rude to me and that's the last time I (and a number of people) visited her store.

While I am glad she has never been rude or nasty to you, I wonder if you were on the receiving end of it yourself, as with McLove's group above, would you be so quick to jump to her defence.

I must disagree with you on this idea that we "all chimp on the same crap that everyone does". I will go where the food is best. I don't care if it is a multi billion dollar chair or a tiny little hit 20 miles from me. I'm not going to Boojums because it is a big chain, I'm going because of the insane amount of choice, the beautiful meat and filler, the customer service, the meal deals, the price, the loyalty card and the nice venue where I can sit and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The Wild Onion is a massive loss to Limerick as Ruth's eccentricity.
    Is this Bad Ass lady in the same category or am I comparing apples and oranges.

Ah Swiper, despite our occasional difference of opinion, you're still a great guy. Don't worry, you're not on my list of enemies :-D

I agree with many of your points in relation to Badass. I commend her for starting up. I told her as much when she opened as Limerick badly needed people to take risks and get us out of the doldrums. I think her burritos are very nice and she uses premium meats. I told her as much one day and she then asked my opinions on additions to the menu, a request that I was happy to discuss. I agree that her opening hours are hers to choose as it's her business. While it's not how I would run a business, I'm not p!ssed at her because she is not open when she says she is. As is intimated above, I had a really good relationship with her.

Then it all soured because I chose leave after she was really rude to a woman who was looking to use the bathroom before ordering. I saw her treatment and I decided not to giver her my business. The following visit, she was unbelievably rude to me and that's the last time I (and a number of people) visited her store.

While I am glad she has never been rude or nasty to you, I wonder if you were on the receiving end of it yourself, as with McLove's group above, would you be so quick to jump to her defence.

I must disagree with you on this idea that we "all chimp on the same crap that everyone does". I will go where the food is best. I don't care if it is a multi billion dollar chair or a tiny little hit 20 miles from me. I'm not going to Boojums because it is a big chain, I'm going because of the insane amount of choice, the beautiful meat and filler, the customer service, the meal deals, the price, the loyalty card and the nice venue where I can sit and relax.

Fair enough, all valid points, I would call into any business only to buy the product, I don't expect or demand a smile and an inane chat about the weather but I'll go along with that obviously. I've said repeatedly that I find her pork burrito and her beans sauces and sides to be as good as anything I've had in Ireland and a hell of a lot better than most. I will vote with my feet when I see her rudeness in action but not until then. I'm prepared to pay a little extra and sacrifice the loyalty card aspect to help keep a hard working local business in operation, I'd be the same about coffee shops.
    I think it's fairly crappy that anonymous people on a well read board like this are glorying in her having to go and sign on after all she's put into that business, that's just pathetic in my opinion and I won't just read it and let it wash over me.

The Wild Onion is a massive loss to Limerick as Ruth's eccentricity.
    Is this Bad Ass lady in the same category or am I comparing apples and oranges.

Apples and oranges I'd say, Ruth was a great character but I'd sometimes avoid the place as I wasn't in the mood for that kind of interaction all the time.
    Mags says very little, gets on with the job in a non nonsense way, obviously flys off the handle every once in a while as well when I'm out of sight :pac:

• Advertisement

We passed BOOJUM premesis today, it will be bigger than Dublin, smaller than Galway. Perfect size for the hungry Limerick people 😂

We passed BOOJUM premesis today, it will be bigger than Dublin, smaller than Galway. Perfect size for the hungry Limerick people 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The one in Galway won't be near a mono rail station though, so Limerick wins.

This Vladimir chap (not my mate) hasn’t given any reason just wished this woman has to close her business and go on the dole while we all chimp on the same crap that everybody else does, presumedly while drinking a costa coffee from up the road and commenting to our of towners how hip Limerick is, this is my problem in a nutshell.

I said "bye bye" and that she is on "borrowed time".

I said she was pig ignorant to me. Which she was. Many others too. She has a well known reputation for it. Check either of her two facebook pages and you will see the same in the reviews and you will see others on here say the same.

So you are wrong about me giving no reason and you are wrong about me wishing her to close and go on the dole.

I was merely pointing out the reality of the implications of Boojum opening coupled with her ****ty attitude to people that wanted to support her business.

I don't owe her anything and if she closes it won't bother me in the slightest because she has given me no reason to care about her business in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Fair enough, all valid points, I would call into any business only to buy the product, I don't expect or demand a smile and an inane chat about the weather but I'll go along with that obviously. I've said repeatedly that I find her pork burrito and her beans sauces and sides to be as good as anything I've had in Ireland and a hell of a lot better than most. I will vote with my feet when I see her rudeness in action but not until then. I'm prepared to pay a little extra and sacrifice the loyalty card aspect to help keep a hard working local business in operation, I'd be the same about coffee shops.
    I think it's fairly crappy that anonymous people on a well read board like this are glorying in her having to go and sign on after all she's put into that business, that's just pathetic in my opinion and I won't just read it and let it wash over me.

This is an internet discussion forum.People are entitled to their opinions.Whether you like it or not.Whether you choose, to leave it wash over you or not, is totally irrelevant.This ain't Russia under Putin.If the owner of this Bad Ass Buritos was being rude to customers.Then people have a right to be upset, and they have a right to recommend, that people do not do business with said establishment.Im all for competition.Competition up's the standards across the board, and the winner at the end of the day, is the consumer.If you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen.:D

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

i hope bad ass burritos goes out of business, but mags gets the managers job in boojum on account of her previous experience. that way everybody wins!

This is an internet discussion forum.People are entitled to their opinions.Whether you like it or not.Whether you choose, to leave it wash over you or not, is totally irrelevant.This ain't Russia under Putin.If the owner of this Bad Ass Buritos was being rude to customers.Then people have a right to be upset, and they have a right to recommend, that people do not do business with said establishment.Im all for competition.Competition up's the standards across the board, and the winner at the end of the day, is the consumer.If you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen.:D

You haven’t put that into proper context, it was following an exchange where I was accused of jumping to her defence every time it comes up, which I freely admit to doing in fairness. It is my personal experience and I don’t fully trust boards or social media to think for me. There’s always a bit of bandwagon hopping going on in my experience.
    But I still think it is shockingly mean spirited and petty to glory in her going out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭moby2101

Amber, the "new" nightclub in House is opening this Friday night, we were in there last night for a few drinks, great to see some more choices for Limerick.

On a side note, we dined in boojum in Cork over the weekend, VERY tasty and really good value, it will be a great addition to the fast food scene here. I too am not a fan of the aforementioned burrito premises on Catherine St, we had food there a few times, the food was ok, not great but unfortunately as has been borne out by other people's experiences on here, the lady was plain rude on the 3-4 times we were in there, I hope for her sake she stays in business but she really does need to have a little more respect for her customers.

• Advertisement

moby2101 wrote: »
    Amber, the "new" nightclub in House is opening this Friday night, we were in there last night for a few drinks, great to see some more choices for Limerick.

On a side note, we dined in boojum in Cork over the weekend, VERY tasty and really good value, it will gine a great addition to the fast food scene here. I too am not a fan of the aforementioned burrito premises on Catherine St, we had food there a few times, the food was ok, not great but unfortunately as has been borne out by other people's experiences on here, the lady was plain rude on the 3-4 times we were in there, I hope for her sake she stays in business but she really does need to have a little more respect for her customers.

The more I hear, the more I'm glad it wasn't just me :D

Advertisement