Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Has it not said “COMING SOON ?” since Gasta closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Has it not said “COMING SOON ?” since Gasta closed?

Yes it has. For what must be going on two years at this stage. I think they just stuck up a few banners to brighten up the empty premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

One of the guys from Canteen is opening the coffee shop in their former place on Mallow Street.

Ya, Canteens Facebook post says that he's "leaving to set-up Rift Coffee". Seems a bit strange that he's going to be in direct competition with them now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Ya, Canteens Facebook post says that he's "leaving to set-up Rift Coffee". Seems a bit strange that he's going to be in direct competition with them now

I doubt theres any fallout if that’s what you mean.
    It’s obviously been the plan all along as the day they emptied there old premise the Rift coming soon signs were up. Also at the street festival canteens stand was using all rift branded cups/serviettes etc. I guess they just realize the two premises can co operate.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I doubt theres any fallout if that’s what you mean.
    It’s obviously been the plan all along as the day they emptied there old premise the Rift coming soon signs were up. Also at the street festival canteens stand was using all rift branded cups/serviettes etc. I guess they just realize the two premises can co operate.
    Marty.

Ah, no I didn't mean to imply that there was any fallout, judging by their FB post, they are on good terms. Just find it unusual that the owner of canteen is happy for a member of staff to set-up in his old premises and now be in direct competition with him. I would imagine Rift is targeting the same audience of coffee lovers, which seem to frequent canteen. That's just my observation on the situation, but there will probably be room for both businesses and hopefully both will thrive! Although there is an abundance of coffee shops in Limerick! :D

• Advertisement

Ah, no I didn't mean to imply that there was any fallout, judging by their FB post, they are on good terms. Just find it unusual that the owner of canteen is happy for a member of staff to set-up in his old premises and now be in direct competition with him. I would imagine Rift is targeting the same audience of coffee lovers, which seem to frequent canteen. That's just my observation on the situation, but there will probably be room for both businesses and hopefully both will thrive! Although there is an abundance of coffee shops in Limerick! :D

Yeah I’d say there is enough room for both of them, maybe if 1 of them could stay open late thurs/Fri at least, nowhere to go bar Starbucks in the city center of an evening. (Unless a pub but that’s not ideal and usually serve muck!)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

New shop opening in the old Mothercare, Unit 17 Cruises St.
    Seems to be another outdoor clothing place, mountain warehouse only just opened down the road.

http://www.daft.ie/limerick/commercial-property-for-rent/retail-units-for-rent/17a-19c-cruises-street-limerick-city-limerick-282018/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Seems to be another outdoor clothing place, mountain warehouse only just opened down the road.

http://www.daft.ie/limerick/commercial-property-for-rent/retail-units-for-rent/17a-19c-cruises-street-limerick-city-limerick-282018/

Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The mountaineering district.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

Why so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Sporting Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Kidstown Corbally have bought out the Delta Play Centre in Ballysimon.

Delta is now 'Kidstown 2' or 'Kidstown Ballysimon'.

I wonder if many parents will see the word 'Kidstown' on a birthday invitation and head to the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Jimbob1977 wrote:
    Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Kidstown Corbally have bought out the Delta Play Centre in Ballysimon.

Did they not just buy formula for fun too, so 3 branches now

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Delta is now 'Kidstown 2' or 'Kidstown Ballysimon'.

I wonder if many parents will see the word 'Kidstown' on a birthday invitation and head to the wrong place.

Is Kidstown not in Gillogue? At least 3 townlands and a separate county from Corbally.

Is Kidstown not in Gillogue? At least 3 townlands and a separate county from Corbally.

They call it 'Corbally'. I would say it's for marketing purposes

kilburn wrote: »
    Did they not just buy formula for fun too, so 3 branches now

It is now closed

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    They call it 'Corbally'. I would say it's for marketing purposes

The misguided Bosnian Serbs in Shannon Banks and Westbury also seem to think they live in Corbally as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

If memory serves me correctly I think Mothercare was one of the original occupants of Cruises St. Are there any others remaining from 1992? I know McDonald's didn't open until about a year later along with HMV and Bewleys was briefly where New Look was. I was in U.L. at the time. It was a good 5 years before anything approaching full occupancy was achieved.

I think Hickey’s, River Island, Marbles, Monsoon, Specsavers and Argos are all original shops but not sure if they opened in December 1992. Think Argos opened about 1995 and Specsavers in ‘97.

Plenty of shops have come and gone. Next, Bewley’s, Past Times, Heirlooms, Athena, Wallis, Marathon Sports...to name a few!

I think Hickey’s, River Island, Marbles, Monsoon, Specsavers and Argos are all original shops but not sure if they opened in December 1992. Think Argos opened about 1995 and Specsavers in ‘97.

Plenty of shops have come and gone. Next, Bewley’s, Past Times, Heirlooms, Athena, Wallis, Marathon Sports...to name a few!

Marathon were bought out by Champion who in turn sold those stores to Footlocker.
    A lot of the stores have just followed the trend over the years for larger out of town stores.
    There were large tax and rates rebates in that area for a long time and when they ran out some of the retailers left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Marathon were bought out by Champion who in turn sold those stores to Footlocker.
    A lot of the stores have just followed the trend over the years for larger out of town stores.
    There were large tax and rates rebates in that area for a long time and when they ran out some of the retailers left.

Champion were bought out by JD Sports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

I wish someone would buy out Cruises Street and level it.

I wish someone would buy out Cruises Street and level it.

That’s a bit rash.
    Yes it has its problems/failings and I don’t particularly enjoy it for what it should be.

But... I do believe limerick is turning for the better, and I like to think Cruises street will get some kind of makeover as part of that.
    Town planners need to get this one right... decide what it is they want from the street and attract those businesses into the premises there.
    I’d love to see the likes of bewleys back in there,a focal meeting point.
    Argos and maybe Specsavers IMO don’t really belong on that street...
    A mix of high street and nice restaurants is what it should be I think, with a few cafes etc opening late creating a nice vibe, an area for local artists to perform/display their work. No reason why their couldn’t be night markets there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

One possible way of refurbishing it would be to give the store owners incentives to fully overhaul their facades (not just the shop fronts, but the entire front of the building). Let them each do it on a one-by-one basis, and overtime you'd get a very different looking street. You'd have to set down some constraints obviously, but you could also give them the freedom to be creative. It's an incredibly unattractive and uninteresting street at the moment. I avoid it as much as possible, and I'm sure many others do.

I'm not sure what the ownership situation is. Are they individually owned, or is the whole street owned by a single entity?

While that would help, I do believe that some of the stores on the street simply shouldn’t be there.
    They need a clear master plan for what they want in the street, they need to give concessions to those who suit the plan and somehow persuade those who don’t into premises elsewhere.
    While I have nothing against Argos... it really doesn’t belong on a pedestrian street.
    The street needs to cover a broad range of wants/needs from all ages of shoppers... with a little bit of class and creativity thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I used to love cruises St when I was younger. I'd spend hours between Game, HMV, Marathon/Sports 2000 and then a drink in Bewleys with family. I never really ventured any further than Cruises St when in town tbh, other than a quick shot over to golden discs in Arthurs quay and remix in williamscourt.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    While I have nothing against Argos... it really doesn’t belong on a pedestrian street.

I’m glad it’s on a pedestrian street, imagine the amount of double parking outside if it wasn’t! *shudders* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

the units are also too small in the main, most dont use or don't have a retail use for the upstairs part with the exception of the ( former) Mothercare unit and the Costa /Easons/ McDonalds block at the end and River Island New look Floor palate is too small to attract many retailers ( ie those who moved into the Opera Lane rebuild in Cork a few years back - Next ( a former cruises st tenant) Gap, etc

Delivery access is an issue also.
    Plus the red brick paving looks wojious .
    Underwhelming laneways leading to Cruises St dont help either

• Registered Users Posts: 40 YearZero

What's opening in that new building on Cecil Street? Beside Flannery's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

YearZero wrote: »
    What's opening in that new building on Cecil Street? Beside Flannery's.

That's an extension of Flannery's. Kind of a super pub / gig venue.

Advertisement