Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

zulutango wrote: »
    That's an extension of Flannery's. Kind of a super pub / gig venue.

Its class. I'm well fecking impressed by it. Jerry deserves a pat on the back for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

YearZero wrote: »
    What's opening in that new building on Cecil Street? Beside Flannery's.

It’s an extension to Flannery’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Its class. I'm well fecking impressed by it. Jerry deserves a pat on the back for that.

Definitely. It's less grim than Nancy's anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

martyc5674 wrote: »
    While that would help, I do believe that some of the stores on the street simply shouldn’t be there.
    They need a clear master plan for what they want in the street, they need to give concessions to those who suit the plan and somehow persuade those who don’t into premises elsewhere.
    While I have nothing against Argos... it really doesn’t belong on a pedestrian street.
    The street needs to cover a broad range of wants/needs from all ages of shoppers... with a little bit of class and creativity thrown in.

I really dont think Crusis st is suitable any more to attract shoppers, competing with the convenience and choice of the Crescent has to be the yardstick upon which any future plans are made. Id say It would be better to focus on the 2030 plans and use the redevelopment of Arthurs Quay/AQ Park/old Dunnes to develop a modern retail district with adequate floor plates and a fresh new streetscape to attract the big brand tenants. The smaller shops could could fill up the voids in Thomas/Williams st etc.

That would leave a fantastic opportunity to turn Cruises st and surrounding streets into Limericks recreational district with restaurants/cafes/pubs/theatres and street performers all based around one area and give people a general place to head to (like shop st, Galway or Temple bar) and not have to go traipsing around to find a place with some life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I really dont think Crusis st is suitable any more to attract shoppers, competing with the convenience and choice of the Crescent has to be the yardstick upon which any future plans are made. Id say It would be better to focus on the 2030 plans and use the redevelopment of Arthurs Quay/AQ Park/old Dunnes to develop a modern retail district with adequate floor plates and a fresh new streetscape to attract the big brand tenants. The smaller shops could could fill up the voids in Thomas/Williams st etc.

That would leave a fantastic opportunity to turn Cruises st and surrounding streets into Limericks recreational district with restaurants/cafes/pubs/theatres and street performers all based around one area and give people a general place to head to (like shop st, Galway or Temple bar) and not have to go traipsing around to find a place with some life.

Yeah I can’t disagree with any of that.
    However the rates that drove businesses out to the crescent in the first place need to be addressed.
    There is no reason the city center should be less convenient than the likes of the crescent.

• Advertisement

However the rates that drove businesses out to the crescent in the first place need to be addressed.
    There is no reason the city center should be less convenient than the likes of the crescent.

Surely that depends where you're travelling from. The Crescent, no doubt, makes most of its money from people who live in the suburbs and the surrounding counties. It's much handier for them than the city. By contrast, the city is handier for people who live in the city. The problem for the city, however, in terms of its retail vibrancy is that not that many people actually live in the city, and of those who do, it's the lower socio-economic demographic, so there's less of a case for the high end stores to have units in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The rates in the Crescent arent cheap either

zulutango wrote: »
    Surely that depends where you're travelling from. The Crescent, no doubt, makes most of its money from people who live in the suburbs and the surrounding counties. It's much handier for them than the city. By contrast, the city is handier for people who live in the city. The problem for the city, however, in terms of its retail vibrancy is that not that many people actually live in the city, and of those who do, it's the lower socio-economic demographic, so there's less of a case for the high end stores to have units in the centre.

There’s no denying the success of the crescent.
    However that success came about by multiple stores relocating there due to city rates.
    I do feel the city could have benefited from some of this success whereas it has suffered.

My opinion is that the city development should take precedence to malls.

Mc Love wrote: »
    The rates in the Crescent arent cheap either

I don’t know the exact figures but I remember one retailer saying they were 6 times more in the city.
    Not sure how true that is... maybe someone else can chime in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭geotrig

Didnt they change those years ago ....also now that its all amalgamated does it matter anymore , cresents rents where higher as well werent they ?

• Advertisement

geotrig wrote: »
    Didnt they change those years ago ....also now that its all amalgamated does it matter anymore , cresents rents where higher as well werent they ?

Not sure, but in any case it probably doesn’t matter anymore. The monster that is the crescent has been created and it’s probably where most retailers would prefer to be located all else being equal with the footfall it brings.

if they could build something big enoughin the city (think dundrum style )not that big but the dunnes, arthurs quay area could house something quiet big if planned well.And was somwhat covered or mostly covered it would have a huge draw ,its still leaves historical aspects of the town untouched and places for other to spread out from and on the wet days keep people in town. never going to happen but one can hope ,oh and it would obviously house a proper imax as well !:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yes the rates in the city and county were equalized 3 or 4 years ago so that's no longer an issue when it comes to new business locating inside or outside the city center.

if they could build something big enoughin the city (think dundrum style )not that big but the dunnes, arthurs quay area could house something quiet big if planned well.And was somwhat covered or mostly covered it would have a huge draw ,its still leaves historical aspects of the town untouched and places for other to spread out from and on the wet days keep people in town. never going to happen but one can hope ,oh and it would obviously house a proper imax as well !:pac:

That could be planned and it would be right beside Penney's, Debenhams and the Opera Site, Arthurs quay park probably would be no more though unless they incorporated it into the plans. The building could also be built over the roads that are presently there so that shouldnt be too much of an issue.

That could be planned and it would be right beside Penney's, Debenhams and the Opera Site, Arthurs quay park probably would be no more though unless they incorporated it into the plans. The building could also be built over the roads that are presently there so that shouldnt be too much of an issue.
    cough! I was knocking those as well to incorporate into the block.
    I've actually wondered about having a road go under such developments and if we'd ever see it here and mostly to do with the road by arthurs quay

cough! I was knocking those as well to incorporate into the block.
    I've actually wondered about having a road go under such developments and if we'd ever see it here and mostly to do with the road by arthurs quay

I would have thought they'd incorporate them into the design and use the vacant space behind those buildings for more retail space.

So, let's say a big shopping centre was built in the city centre, how would people get to it? There would certainly be huge traffic issues because it would be dependent on large numbers of shoppers coming from outside the city. But if the roads can't handle sufficient volumes of traffic, then its just not viable. When you look at it this way you can see that the Crescent has a huge advantage over the city centre. It's easily accessible by a much larger number of people than the city centre is and this is why it's so successful. And it's also the reason that the only real hope for the city centre is to attract large numbers of people living in it. It's the only real way to revitalise the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

I would have thought they'd incorporate them into the design and use the vacant space behind those buildings for more retail space.

I dont think anything solid has been proposed by a developer yet. The current renders are just to give an impression of intent. If you have a look at the 2030 vision and compare it to whats actually been approved and going up on Bishops Quay and the Opera site its quite impressive what they have achieved. Then look at the amount land available to develop the future retail district, which will be everything bar (a probably heavily refurbished) Debenhams. There is a huge amount of scope to get people back into the city centre.

Without doubt affordable accomodation for young professionals should be included in this. A decent and cheap park and ride system from Anacotty and Coonagh via the city centre would go a long way to coax a few people back from the Crescent (which can be nightmare with traffic sometimes)

original?width=630&version=951770

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

New cafe open on broad street "Luca's Cafe" think it was called that before?

Also planning permission gone up for another cafe at the old pharmacy opposite Debenhams on the corner of Sarsfield St. and O'Connell street.
    http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/171236/0

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    New cafe open on broad street "Luca's Cafe" think it was called that before?

Also planning permission gone up for another cafe at the old pharmacy opposite Debenhams on the corner of Sarsfield St. and O'Connell street.
    http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/171236/0

It used to be Bredas Cafe. Great to see something open in that location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

dashoonage wrote: »

I hope they aren't all in garages and one is in town.

They'd have to have one in town tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Salad wars has arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I wouldn't be surprised if one went into UL and even MIC. One in town, dock road and maybe Castletroy or the shopping centre.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's definitely one going into Casey's on the Dock Road. They have the counter decorated and ready to go.

There's definitely one going into Casey's on the Dock Road. They have the counter decorated and ready to go.

That opened today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Limerick Travel have applied for permission to convert part of their shop into a cafe. Does anyone know the status of their new hotel?

Rift has opened in old canteen premises.
    Coffee is good.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

pigtown wrote: »
    Limerick Travel have applied for permission to convert part of their shop into a cafe. Does anyone know the status of their new hotel?

I was in there recently booking my next adventure and I am nearly sure they said in time for summer.

Advertisement