Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

What's wrong with that?

Bad for the environment for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

A lot of those cups are compostable now... I can’t say if canteens are or not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Meh, it tastes good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Canteens cups are compostable alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭phog

What's wrong with that?

If I want a takeaway coffee I'll put up with a paper cup, if I'm paying to sit in a cafe/restaurant then I expect to be served a proper cup/mug.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    If I want a takeaway coffee I'll put up with a paper cup, if I'm paying to sit in a cafe/restaurant then I expect to be served a proper cup/mug.

Does it taste different?

Edit: not trying to be a smart arse, I know some people have different taste buds, I hate milk from a glass!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yes it can taste different but you'd want some savy taste buds to notice. Mainly applies just to hot drinks because when a liquid is hot the moleculues move in a clockwise motion and can catch on the paper cups because they've a different texture to a smooth ceramic mug.

Also some cheap white paper cups smell so changes it as well. Styrofoam nasty things.

Don't know about the milk thing. I'm a can of coke over a bottle person but that's really down to pressure and fizz.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭phog

Does it taste different?

Edit: not trying to be a smart arse, I know some people have different taste buds, I hate milk from a glass!

I've already said when I go for a takeaway coffee I don't mind getting a disposable cup - it's not all about taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 napaman2011

Any sign of a Nandos opening?? Was rumours about one in the crescent before X mas but they seem unfounded. Anyone here anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Any sign of a Nandos opening?? Was rumours about one in the crescent before X mas but they seem unfounded. Anyone here anything?

That has been rumoured for years now, don't hold your breath. It is almost as prolific a rumour as Marks and Spencer opening in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Berty wrote: »

I'm a can of coke over a bottle person but that's really down to pressure and fizz.

I like Stella Cidre, but only from a bottle. Don't like it from a can. I'm convinced it doesn't taste as nice.

phog wrote: »
    I've already said when I go for a takeaway coffee I don't mind getting a disposable cup - it's not all about taste.

Was only asking, I never said you did say there was a difference in taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

zulutango wrote: »
    Canteens cups are compostable alright.

So they're not coated on the inside with polyethylene?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Limerick91

This is not a rumour!!!!
    Nandos will be opening in the city centre in the next few months
    One of the old Dunnes Stores units is where it will be located
    Shop fitting out firms are quoting for it at present

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Limerick91 wrote: »
    This is not a rumour!!!!

Yaaaaa......sureeee! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

This is not a rumour!!!!

heard the same tbh. Across from BT is where I heard which would tie in, unless they went for the place on the corner by Debenhams.

I'll believe it when I see it though.

So they're not coated on the inside with polyethylene?

Apparently - http://wiki.csisdmz.ul.ie/wiki/Paul_Williams_-_Canteen,_Mallow_Street

What's so great about Nandos? This forum is the only place I've ever heard of it.

I remember when I had the M&S rumour. An old Colleague of mine confirmed it with the UK offices as her business was intertwined with theirs. It was around the time that the Horizon Mall was being touted to be opened and it was going in there(closing Dun Laoighre and opening their biggest/flagship(for Ireland) store in Limerick). Circumstances changed then with objections, economic crash and stuff so it never happened.

I myself was quoting on fitouts back then, one specifically was for Sbarro in the Foodcourt. A guy in Limerick had, and as far as I know, still has the rights to the Franchise.

Now I'm wary of rumours until works really begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

zulutango wrote: »
    What's so great about Nandos? This forum is the only place I've ever heard of it.

Nothing, its an expensive KFC. Bizarrely, they seat you, give you a menu and tell you to go to the counter and order yourself, sort out your own cutlery, water etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Berty wrote: »
    I remember when I had the M&S rumour. An old Colleague of mine confirmed it with the UK offices as her business was intertwined with theirs. It was around the time that the Horizon Mall was being touted to be opened and it was going in there(closing Dun Laoighre and opening their biggest/flagship(for Ireland) store in Limerick). Circumstances changed then with objections, economic crash and stuff so it never happened.

I myself was quoting on fitouts back then, one specifically was for Sbarro in the Foodcourt. A guy in Limerick had, and as far as I know, still has the rights to the Franchise.

Now I'm wary of rumours until works really begin.

Until im sitting there with some chicken in front of me ill believe noting...

I tried Nandos twice. Once with work colleagues as I could expense it as a "trial" and once with the missus who eats nothing spicy. Both times I had the HOT sauce. It's bread with a small fillet of chicken in it. That seems to be about it. The sauce gathers at the bottom so when you finally get to the end you blow the mouth off yourself.

It's a young persons place. It's like having the best branded footwear, eat in Nandos and you're the cool crew. I'm not in the cool crew because I used the word cool :P

But they, there's a lot to be said for "forks in the bag, you gowl" up the road. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I like it but you have to remember it is fast food dickied up to look more like posher. I love the spicy rice though. A nice alternative to supermacs et al but that is it really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Not sure if thus has been mentioned. Clenn Construction, who build modular homes, opening a facility in the Galvone Industrial Estate with an initial 50 jobs. https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/fifty-new-jobs-announced-galvone-limerick

There are a LOT of Jobs out there right now right from entry levels roles right through to Senior Level roles and nearly everything in between.

Even a cursory glance as the likes of Linkedin or Indeed.com will show this. Besides the recent announcement, like Clenn, NK Comms and HM&V there are lots of others flying under the radar who are really ramping up their staff numbers.

I know 2 companies in Plassey that have outgrown their current rented offices and are struggling to find alternative space to keep everyone together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Not sure if thus has been mentioned. Clenn Construction, who build modular homes, opening a facility in the Galvone Industrial Estate with an initial 50 jobs. https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/fifty-new-jobs-announced-galvone-limerick

That's actually a great find by the council. Manufacturing jobs are more and more difficult to attract to Ireland and they don't require a degree to work there. Sometimes it's easy to forget that not everyone can get third level qualifications

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

pigtown wrote: »
    That's actually a great find by the council. Manufacturing jobs are more and more difficult to attract to Ireland and they don't require a degree to work there. Sometimes it's easy to forget that not everyone can get third level qualifications

This isn't unskilled manufacturing. These guys are building houses, so trades will be needed.

I worked in Galvone Industrial Estate a few years ago (just for a day surveying).
    It was the filthiest place I have ever been in Ireland. Rubbish, couches, washing machines etc everywhere. I was queried as to why I was there by an intimidating lad on horseback. No saddle or anything. I would have complimented him on his dressage skills if I wasn't so eager to get the hell out of there.
    I hope the place is tidied up a bit since!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

This is not a rumour!!!!

I hope this is true. It would go down a storm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Another ****e food outlet! At least it would finally fill a building that's been empty for nearly 10 years. Extremely underwhelming though. There's an application in for another Starbucks at the Sarsfield Street corner too. If the council had any sense they would throw it out!

By right that building along with the Dunnes Stores premises should be torn down and replaced. They're in poor condition and don't make effective use of prime city centre sites. Each site could take an extra two floors.

Advertisement