Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Berty wrote: »
    It's a young persons place. It's like having the best branded footwear, eat in Nandos and you're the cool crew. I'm not in the cool crew because I used the word cool :P

But they, there's a lot to be said for "forks in the bag, you gowl" up the road. :D

Love that quote.

Where is that chipper again?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

There's a planning notice on the empty unit in between Uber and Knights barbers on Catherine St., Mac Health & Fitness. Notice to change the unit from a retail space to a gym facility. Anyone know anything about it?

I'd love a gym that has classes like spinning right in the city centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    There's a planning notice on the empty unit in between Uber and Knights barbers on Catherine St., Mac Health & Fitness. Notice to change the unit from a retail space to a gym facility. Anyone know anything about it?

There's a gym/fitness studio already operating up that laneway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Cherrycoke wrote: »

As far as I know, its to be a gym for Uber staff but I’m not sure if it’ll be strictly limited to Uber employees...it could be open to the public as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I worked in Galvone Industrial Estate a few years ago (just for a day surveying).
    It was the filthiest place I have ever been in Ireland. Rubbish, couches, washing machines etc everywhere. I was queried as to why I was there by an intimidating lad on horseback. No saddle or anything. I would have complimented him on his dressage skills if I wasn't so eager to get the hell out of there.
    I hope the place is tidied up a bit since!

It’s much better nowadays. It’s still not scenic, but from talking to business owners in there - it’s a million times better than it was a few years ago. There’s still rubbish and rubble but it’s not as bad in that respect as it was even a year ago.
    I think there’s something else pretty big opening in Galvone - but it escapes me what it is.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s much better nowadays. It’s still not scenic, but from talking to business owners in there - it’s a million times better than it was a few years ago. There’s still rubbish and rubble but it’s not as bad in that respect as it was even a year ago.
    I think there’s something else pretty big opening in Galvone - but it escapes me what it is.

Marks and Spencer

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

As far as I know, its to be a gym for Uber staff but I’m not sure if it’ll be strictly limited to Uber employees...it could be open to the public as well.

I don't think this is the case. They offer subsidised memberships to other gyms/classes.

Wood frame house company from America. The name obviously escapes me too.

Wood frame house company from America. The name obviously escapes me too.

That’s what is mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Stormy Teacup have an Instagram post up saying they’ve signed the lease for a second location.

https://instagram.com/p/BelnQUIl11j/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Was never a fan of the stormy teacup it’s very cold and dirty could be a nice place tho

Fair play to the current owner, he obviously knows what he’s doing. The first owner had to give it up and close because of a lack of customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Opera Centre - City Library looking at moving to the ( old) Town Hall |building ( formerly also Mid West Business Institute) facing onto Patrick Street. The vimeo video online makes it look as if the building will be accessesed from a ( new build?) extension at the back, facing onto te proposed public square part at the centre of the opera site. The old ( stone) part of the Granary building will be retained in full ( its listed at any rate) but looks as if the 1970's build library part ( the glass roofed part of the current library) ( and associated club part ) underneath it will be demolished. Unclear if the (new) library build would begin before the rest of the site, as presumably the library needs to be housed somewhere else on the site before they start construction on main opera site.
    Id say some sort of cultural/ art space might also be included.
    Lets hope the whole site faces out onto the ( existing) streets ( Patrick, Michael st etc, and address the city well.

This is the video,
    https://vimeo.com/243201550

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

topcat72 wrote: »
    This is the video,
    https://vimeo.com/243201550
    Good video which gives a decent idea of the plans. Nice to see lots of the Granary retained, and the plans to have those open public spaces are good too. Gives a sense of the scale of the thing too.

One comment though is on the building itself - that part of it facing the river near the Granary - are those weird, irregularly placed dark and light blue panels part of the design? They would look atrocious, in my opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

topcat72 wrote: »
    Unclear if the (new) library build would begin before the rest of the site, as presumably the library needs to be housed somewhere else on the site before they start construction on main opera site.

I believe the plan is to build it in stages over the course of 4 - 5 years, so the library could be left where it is until its new home was ready.

osarusan wrote: »
    Good video which gives a decent idea of the plans. Nice to see lots of the Granary retained, and the plans to have those open public spaces are good too. Gives a sense of the scale of the thing too.

One comment though is on the building itself - that part of it facing the river near the Granary - are those weird, irregularly placed dark and light blue panels part of the design? They would look atrocious, in my opinion.

As far as I understand , the finish and design on the buildings themselves are only indicative - there will be a building there of that height and bulk, but it will more than likely look nothing like the finished article. I seriously hope not, as a lot of the 'inner square' buildings look like ( bad) university campus architecture from 1966.
    For what its worth, I'd put the tallest building at the corner of Ellen Street acroos from Cobblestones ( where the surface carpark currently is) - not between a partial Georgian terrace and the Granary, bad and all as the Cahill May roberts building is. Agree with you 100% that the finish on it as shown is fairly woeful.
    It will all need to go to tender for architectural/ design layout presumably there will either be a masterplan or singular elements as single ( public) tenders.

Interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I thought this was the business opening thread?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I thought this was the business opening thread?

It is, if you have a problem with a post report it and the mods will deal with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

See 101 is gonna after the student Thursday market

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »
    See 101 is gonna after the student Thursday market
    They’d be stupid not to. There’s about 21,000 of them in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jjoconoor

work seems to finally have started on the old 'mes fleurs' building on sexton street, called the ampersand? any ideas whos behind it?

jjoconoor wrote: »
    work seems to finally have started on the old 'mes fleurs' building on sexton street, called the ampersand? any ideas whos behind it?

Hook & Ladder

Hook & Ladder

Should be a good offering based on thier other stores, bit outside of city centre too so be interesting to see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I assume they are targeting the business from the new court house.

mitresize5 wrote: »

oh yes this makes sense! Good to see a bit of development in this part of the city! Browsers Furniture also putting in a coffee offering!

You also have about 100 teachers in the area and CCL

You also have about 100 teachers in the area and CCL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

jjoconoor wrote: »
    oh yes this makes sense! Good to see a bit of development in this part of the city! Browsers Furniture also putting in a coffee offering!
    Lots of competition up here so. Is it a franchise or an independent cafe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Not really a business opening but midwestsimon are converting speakers corner,Careys Rd into 4 apartments for homeless and and will be operating support services from the ground floor. This and the recent redevelopment of the flats there will be a massive improvement to the area in my opinion. There is some really great stuff going on in some areas of the city.

Advertisement