Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

dashoonage wrote: »
    Not really a business opening but midwestsimon are converting speakers corner,Careys Rd into 4 apartments for homeless and and will be operating support services from the ground floor. This and the recent redevelopment of the flats there will be a massive improvement to the area in my opinion. There is some really great stuff going on in some areas of the city.
    The place has been an eyesore for almost 20 years. Glad to see it finally put to use. Passed down there recently and saw some shady characters coming out of the apartments...must be using it as a squat or hangout place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not really a business opening but midwestsimon are converting speakers corner,Careys Rd into 4 apartments for homeless and and will be operating support services from the ground floor. This and the recent redevelopment of the flats there will be a massive improvement to the area in my opinion. There is some really great stuff going on in some areas of the city.

Will be vastly better than their location on the dock road imo

Hopefully they secured the funding to knock and rebuild (doubtful). Even though the premises was never used, I'd say its in some state since 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Hopefully they secured the funding to knock and rebuild (doubtful). Even though the premises was never used, I'd say its in some state since 1998.

was it 1998 ? i always thought it was built later than that...like...just before the celtic tiger died. RIP little tigger.

was it 1998 ? i always thought it was built later than that...like...just before the celtic tiger died. RIP little tigger.

99% certain. A family member was one of the first residents in a brand new development close by at the time and AFAIK, Speakers Corner was part of it.

A few years before little tiggers time to shine. Tigger 2.0 may be in the making though.

• Advertisement

Yeah, 1998 would about right. Have vague memories of Frost’s Bar being there before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Yeah, 1998 would about right. Have vague memories of Frost’s Bar being there before it.

Was Frosts not the careys road side of that cross ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

oleras wrote: »
    Was Frosts not the careys road side of that cross ?

Frosts was on the intersection of Carey and Hyde.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Images here;

https://twitter.com/midwestsimon/status/961289499056771078

Planning received 28/08/1998 , sorry didnt mean to doubt ye...my auld man was involved in building it....lots of old memories for me there. the auld man is gone now. amazing it never had anything in it during the tiger years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Planning received 28/08/1998 , sorry didnt mean to doubt ye...my auld man was involved in building it....lots of old memories for me there. the auld man is gone now. amazing it never had anything in it during the tiger years.

I dont know what business would risk moving in there and I don't think this current venture will end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

What did Habitat niteclub used be called ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

D Trent wrote: »
    What did Habitat niteclub used be called ?

Crush87, Trinity Rooms, DOCS.

It will always be Docs to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Crush87, Trinity Rooms, DOCS.

Me too. We're showing our age Vlad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Me too. We're showing our age Vlad ;)

It will always be trinners for me. Good times were had no matter what it was called!

It will always be trinners for me. Good times were had no matter what it was called!

Trinners 4 winners :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Ah you're only a young fella :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

trinners? did it go through a stage of trying to appeal to a d4 wannabe crowd or something?

docs. early 90's. Angie(pretty sure that was her name) dancing on the table with the tequila bottle giving out free shots if you were in there early enough. that was even before there was the infamous nightclub shutdown until they sorted out the little window in docs to hand out the chicken curry so they could have a late license.

mossym wrote: »
    trinners? did it go through a stage of trying to appeal to a d4 wannabe crowd or something?

Yes. You had to have a Munster rugby ticket which was used within the past 4 weeks and at least 2 bags of coke on you too gain entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 walt whitman

iv heard that Mr.price are looking to open a store in kileely where that secondhand furniture shop is at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Docs 4eva. Everytime I go to the library and pass by the water fountain there I get flashbacks of standing on it Leaving Cert Result night 2001 and dancing to 'Hey Baby' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

panda100 wrote: »
    Docs 4eva. Everytime I go to the library and pass by the water fountain there I get flashbacks of standing on it Leaving Cert Result night 2001 and dancing to 'Hey Baby' :pac:

Jaysus :( I could think of better memories than being in that scenario...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Gallery for me. So many fond memories. Many I can never ever mention.

Although I remember Docs when it was SOOO packed in the Courtyard the guy next to me couldn't even put his can of cider to his mouth as his arms were trapped and then the DJ put on House of Pain "Jump Around"

Fvck that. Could you be that young again, with camera phones and sh*t? Nah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

seachto7 wrote:
    Jaysus I could think of better memories than being in that scenario...

I'll always have great memories of that courtyard. Had my first kiss and first shot there both on the same night! Also met one of my best friends by the fountain bonding over our mutual love of the library there (randomly!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,704 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

STATS getting going 19th March in Henry St. by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Berty wrote: »
    Gallery for me. So many fond memories. Many I can never ever mention.

Although I remember Docs when it was SOOO packed in the Courtyard the guy next to me couldn't even put his can of cider to his mouth as his arms were trapped and then the DJ put on House of Pain "Jump Around"

Fvck that. Could you be that young again, with camera phones and sh*t? Nah

Termites for me in the Savoy, and no i definitely couldn't go back to those days if camera phones were around. The stuff that happened in that club were mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

callaway92 wrote: »
    STATS getting going 19th March in Henry St. by the way

Any idea on where?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

source wrote: »
    Termites for me in the Savoy, and no i definitely couldn't go back to those days if camera phones were around. The stuff that happened in that club were mental.

Termites in the Savoy was the business, was never the same when it moved up the road for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,704 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Mc Love wrote: »
    Any idea on where?

Office being done up now but I’m not sure - could be the old ulster bank building. Only gonna be 40 or so there so it won’t be massive.

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    Mc Love wrote: »
    Any idea on where?

Office being done up now but I’m not sure - could be the old ulster bank building. Only gonna be 40 or so there so it won’t be massive.
    When Uber first started in Limerick, they used vacant offices in the old Anglo Irish offices on the corner of Henry Street and Mount Kenneth.

Advertisement