Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

And Costa Coffee is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

They're gone big into recycling their cups anyway, so that's one reason to choose them over some of the others.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/18/costa-coffee-to-recycle-equivalent-of-all-its-takeaway-cups-each-year

zulutango wrote: »
    They're gone big into recycling their cups anyway, so that's one reason to choose them over some of the others.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/18/costa-coffee-to-recycle-equivalent-of-all-its-takeaway-cups-each-year

LaCucina in Henry St have done the same for quite some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I quiet like costas coffee. Insomnias is not bad either. Thats when it comes to the big coffee chains anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

They (Costa) recycle 500 million cups a year? Impressive. I wonder if its just tge uk or if irish costa are the same. I know its the same company but its ryn differently. The uk costa make a point of paying the living wage but here they are minimum wage. They should all be forced to recycle anyway.

* I realised my post looked jerky. This is how i actually meant it

• Advertisement

They have billboards on the road in from Shannon advertising the fact that they are now using compostable cups. Different to recycling I guess but still good. At least I think so. I don't know much about waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/320324/dunnes-stores-to-face-huge-charges-on-limerick-site-unless-action-is-taken.html

I know this has been discussed here as long as Boards.ie has been around but maybe finally Dunnes will get the kick up their ass to finally do something with their Sarsfield Street branch with the punitive charges the council will be enforcing on them.   If it can't be redeveloped for commercial use, I'd rather it be demolished and turned into a green area than just sit idle in it's current ugly form.

Would be a great site for a cinema/theatre/music venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Mc Love wrote: »
    Would be a great site for a cinema/theatre/music venue.

Absolutely. My preference would be to see high quality apartments (on par with The Strand apartments, for example) developed there. Failing that, it would be great to see something like you mentioned, something that would attract people into the city at least

It's worth noting the other city centre sites that are on the Register too. The other big ones are the unfinished building beside the Milk Market, and sites on Catherine Street and Lower Gerald Griffin Street.

https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/media/documents/2018-06/Vacant%20Sites%20Register%2026-06-2018%20-%20Q.2_0.pdf

Most of the rest of the sites are suburban. I'd have thought there'd be more in the city but the 500m2 threshold means not that many sites in the city qualify. The government should lower that threshold in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Vanquished wrote: »
    Work has begun on converting the former Pharmacy at the O'Connell Street/Sarsfield Street corner in to a cafe. Another Starbucks it would appear.

Brilliant! Can't wait! Imagine, another coffee shop!

Brilliant! Can't wait! Imagine, another coffee shop!

If only it was another vape shop

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Profit Margin on Coffee is very high so as long as you can bring in the customers then you will make money.

Only so many customers though so only taking from others. Also then there's the folks who sit in a Coffee shop nursing a cold tea/coffee while on their laptops or reading a book which means it doesn't matter what the profit is if you can't turn over the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Mc Love wrote: »
    If only it was another vape shop
    :D
    Or one of those gadget shops, I really need a pink plastic cover for my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Private owners deciding to rent out their premises rather than spending millions redeveloping at the whim of someone on boards says absolutely nothing the ambitions of Limerick City Centre.

Ah yeah that's all it is. Just pure fantasty really. The mere thought of redeveloping the site in to something more productive and profitable is mad stuff altogether. Did you ever hear the likes? Sure t'will be grand!

It's entirely unrelated to the almost complete absence of private sector investment in Limerick city centre. Nothing to see here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ah yeah that's all it is. Just pure fantasty really. The mere thought of redeveloping the site in to something more productive and profitable is mad stuff altogether. Did you ever hear the likes? Sure t'will be grand!

It's entirely unrelated to the almost complete absence of private sector investment in Limerick city centre. Nothing to see here.

The site wasn't for sale to a developer and the current owner obviously didn't want to redevelop it. Not every building in the city center needs to be demolished and rebuilt to be brought back into use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Don't remember this being mentioned before, but Stats, a sports data company based in Chicago, has opened an office in Henry St for their European HQ recently.

I only discovered them after we saw several people earlier this evening in the city centre with mysterious badges, lanyards, bags etc. and wondered who they were. A bit of Googling and it seems to be this: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180611005640/en/STATS-Unveils-New-Office-European-Headquarters-Limerick

Ya been training lads in for the last two months. Know a few people working there. Seems interesting anyway if you are into sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

zulutango wrote: »
    It's worth noting the other city centre sites that are on the Register too. The other big ones are the unfinished building beside the Milk Market, and sites on Catherine Street and Lower Gerald Griffin Street.

https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/media/documents/2018-06/Vacant%20Sites%20Register%2026-06-2018%20-%20Q.2_0.pdf

Most of the rest of the sites are suburban. I'd have thought there'd be more in the city but the 500m2 threshold means not that many sites in the city qualify. The government should lower that threshold in my opinion.

surely there are a number of sites on the dock road that would qualify here? even with the 500m2 threshold i find it hard to believe thats it. maybe this is just round one and the list will be updated again soon?

The site wasn't for sale to a developer and the current owner obviously didn't want to redevelop it. Not every building in the city center needs to be demolished and rebuilt to be brought back into use.

Well that's obvious. In a historic city such as Limerick, significantly more buildings will require conservation and refurbishment rather than redevelopment. That being said, opportunities do arise and this was one of them. An unremarkable, underscaled building with no protected status. Not even a listing on the NIAH. Redevelopment plans had even been drawn up.

It's interesting to note that 10 years ago Limerick City Council asked Bank of Ireland to consider the feasibility of redeveloping the entire block as part of their plan to remodel the branch at 125 O'Connell Street. Agreeement couldn't be secured with a particular property owner and the proposal didn't go any further.

A 'busy retail store' will soon be opening in the former Wacky Shoes premises on O'Connell Street according to an informative notice on the window.

• Advertisement

A 'busy retail store' will soon be opening in the former Wacky Shoes premises on O'Connell Street according to an informative notice on the window.

M&S surely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

M&S surely

I'd say Dealz mark 3 is a lot more likely!

Has anyone else heard rumours about Superdrug wanting to open in the Crescent?

Well that's obvious. In a historic city such as Limerick, significantly more buildings will require conservation and refurbishment rather than redevelopment. That being said, opportunities do arise and this was one of them. An unremarkable, underscaled building with no protected status. Not even a listing on the NIAH. Redevelopment plans had even been drawn up.

It's interesting to note that 10 years ago Limerick City Council asked Bank of Ireland to consider the feasibility of redeveloping the entire block as part of their plan to remodel the branch at 125 O'Connell Street. Agreeement couldn't be secured with a particular property owner and the proposal didn't go any further.

Heh heh we all know the property owner who refused

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Speaking of which.....any word on the sub-dividing into 2 restaurants that Dunnes Stores sought planning permission for in their old O'Connell Street branch?   In Dublin, they have done same with one of their old stores in South Great Georges St and now Five Guys burger chain and Neon Asian restaurant are occupying them.  I wonder if a similar arrangement could follow suit in Limerick?

ongarboy wrote: »
    Speaking of which.....any word on the sub-dividing into 2 restaurants that Dunnes Stores sought planning permission for in their old O'Connell Street branch?   In Dublin, they have done same with one of their old stores in South Great Georges St and now Five Guys burger chain and Neon Asian restaurant are occupying them.  I wonder if a similar arrangement could follow suit in Limerick?

Dunnes Stores appealed the development contribution figure levied by Limerick Council and An Bord Pleanala agreed with them that it should be reduced.

Planning hurdles have been cleared. They just have to find a tenant now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

The Wine Buff has opened a wine bar in Brimstone restaurant at Riverpoint.
    Bar 101 have a new bar/beer garden which was built on the roof of Teds.
    Lyons of Limerick are extending their Ford showroom at Ballysimon

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

Does anybody know what's opening beside the Triple Crown pub on Athlunkard St?
    Defo some time of food joint, I could see in there today and there was bench style table and what looked like an ice cream machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

shanmo wrote: »
    Does anybody know what's opening beside the Triple Crown pub on Athlunkard St?
    Defo some time of food joint, I could see in there today and there was bench style table and what looked like an ice cream machine?

The planning application says chipper. Not sure what’s going into the unit next door. They seem to be working on both.

http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/171120/0

‘Description: the change of use of former laundry retail shop to fish and chip take away, potato peeling room extension, mechanical extraction and associated works‘

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

The planning application says chipper. Not sure what’s going into the unit next door. They seem to be working on both.

Interesting.
    Must be nearly there if the tables are in.
    Should have just asked the guy working there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Belueve same chinese family own triple crown and the other two units.

Not sure the new venture will take off either as triple crown mark 2 didnt last long

Advertisement