Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Not sure this is actually good for Limerick.

Care to elaborate? A new family business, a newly renovated business front on one of the busiest roads in the city can only be a positive thing providing it is run correctly. From what I have heard they intend to do just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Care to elaborate? A new family business, a newly renovated business front on one of the busiest roads in the city can only be a positive thing providing it is run correctly. From what I have heard they intend to do just that.

the guy that owns it is apparently a shareholder in thomond park/munster not sure which but its supposed to be a decent pub now

caspa307 wrote: »
    the guy that owns it is apparently a shareholder in thomond park/munster not sure which but its supposed to be a decent pub now

He is well known in sports circles. Very decent man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Enough pubs bookies off licences in that area already...and it's predominantly dole money that goes over the counters.
    And I have issue with that.

Hope he does well and runs it well but he'll find it hard keep certain clients out.
    Look at the Topaz across the road...go in there at ten o clock any night and the staff are literally in fear of the 20 odd 6 to 10 year olds that run amuck in there.
    It will be their parents in the bar across the road!!
    The last few months there's usually a cop in there just so these "people" don't act up.... What a waste of resources.
    As I said best of luck to the man...I admire anyone opening a business in these times and I hope he turns it around.
    I'd much rather see something else in there though.
    Marty.

Enough pubs bookies off licences in that area already...and it's predominantly dole money that goes over the counters.
    And I have issue with that.

Hope he does well and runs it well but he'll find it hard keep certain clients out.
    Look at the Topaz across the road...go in there at ten o clock any night and the staff are literally in fear of the 20 odd 6 to 10 year olds that run amuck in there.
    It will be their parents in the bar across the road!!
    The last few months there's usually a cop in there just so these "people" don't act up.... What a waste of resources.
    As I said best of luck to the man...I admire anyone opening a business in these times and I hope he turns it around.
    I'd much rather see something else in there though.
    Marty.

That pub/off-licence was there long before some of the other off licences opened in the vicinity. Hopefully it will be run better by the new owners.

Dole money being spent in a pub? There's a shocker. At least it goes back into the local economy.

Those certain clients you refer to will find somewhere to drink regardless. I hear the new owners will not tolerate any messers in there.

Not sure what your point is regarding the Topaz, as you say the kids are in there already while the pub was closed. If Topaz choose to have no security then that is their problem. The gardai are certainly not stationed there as you suggest, they are in their regularly to eat during their break times.

• Advertisement

The cop is unofficially stationed there...it's an anti social behaviour hotspot, yeah topaz should provide their own security but it's a petrol station not a bank.

If people can afford to spend their dole in a bar they shouldn't be receiving it in the first place.

Marty.

The cop is unofficially stationed there...it's an anti social behaviour hotspot, yeah topaz should provide their own security but it's a petrol station not a bank.

If people can afford to spend their dole in a bar they shouldn't be receiving it in the first place.

Marty.

How do you know the "cop" is unofficially stationed there. And why are the staff terrorised by children if there is a "cop" present. Sorry but this doesn't add up to me. Especially as there are far more serious anti-social incidents taking place on a nightly basis on a green in the nearby vicinity and even more so because Topaz can and should provide their own security if they need it, something the resource strapped Gardai would be very quick to point out to any private business.

Also your dole tangent probably is best for another thread. Unless you have access to the financial situation of that bars customers since Wednesday night when they first opened. Otherwise it is pure unfounded speculation on your behalf.

Because he's there every night!!
    Go look for yourself...

My dole reference was a general one..read it again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Go look for yourself...

Then it can't be a Garda, because Gardai work shift. And working shift wouldn't allow the same Garda to be there every night.

And as I said earlier, the Gardai use that Topaz every day and night for lunch/dinner/coffee breaks. The notion of one being stationed there - officially or unofficially, is frankly absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Who opened up Quiltys?Will it get a nice crowd?

bigpink wrote: »
    Who opened up Quiltys?Will it get a nice crowd?

That all depends on their door policy. There are other pubs on the Northside with no hassle because they don't tolerate it. From what I've heard they are very decent people so I'd be surprised if they tolerated any messers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Go look for yourself...

Are you there every night to know he's there or something?

What the hell are you on about?

Resi12 wrote: »
    Go look for yourself...

Are you there every night to know he's there or something?

What the hell are you on about?

Yes...and it's usually the same guy
    Now if u don't believe me go there yourself around half 10 tonight.

Is he wearing a Garda uniform or is it a case of a Garda moonlighting as a security guard while off-duty. Because there is a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

I fail to see how a business reopening under local ownership, providing local jobs, is a bad thing.

I'm delighted it has opened and I hope they do well there.

Is he wearing a Garda uniform or is it a case of a Garda moonlighting as a security guard while off-duty. Because there is a big difference.

He wears the whole rigout!!
    He does be on the beat in that area in the evenings and he ends up in there quite a bit and I can understand why.

I feel safer when he's in the shop...and he ain't in there drinking tae, he's keeping a good eye on the clients.
    Marty.

L.T.P. wrote: »

I fail to see how a business reopening under local ownership, providing local jobs, is a bad thing.

I'm delighted it has opened and I hope they do well there.

Your absolutely right.
    However previously I'd be afraid to walk past the entrance any time of the day.

Your absolutely right.

Utter garbage. The pub known as Quilty's had some problems over the years but to suggest that it wasn't safe to walk past any time of the day is ludicrous (I myself have walked past there at all hours and never had the slightest bit of hassle) Especially when you consider the thousands that walked past it on the way to Thomond Park for matches.

As regards the Guard on patrol in the area I would like to know if he is officially stationed in Topaz at night as you suggest because if this is the case then it is a disgrace. There is no need for a Guard to be stationed in a petrol station at night, especially when they choose to open without hiring their own security. I wonder what those over at the Emergency Services forum would make of this claim?

EDIT: I have started a thread about this claim in the Emergency Services forum so as to avoid derailing this thread.

Your absolutely right.

I live in the area and feel you are really misrepresenting our neighbourhood. Yes it suffers from the odd bit of antisocial behaviour but it is no worse than any other area in the city or country for that matter.

How many people have been attacked while walking past Quiltys when it was open?

• Advertisement

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Your absolutely right.

I live in the area and feel you are really misrepresenting our neighbourhood. Yes it suffers from the odd bit of antisocial behaviour but it is no worse than any other area in the city or country for that matter.

How many people have been attacked while walking past Quiltys when it was open?

I live in the area too...
    I don't want to see another boozer go in to the premises... Do you?

I dont have a problem if it is run properly, especially the off licence. Unlike another one in the vicinity.

I'm delighted. A well run pub is an addition to any neighbourhood.

Marty.

Glad you clarified in the Emergency services forum that he is not as you say "unofficially stationed there" but rather usually in there at night, when he is on the beat. Which is totally different.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Back on topic from here on out, le bhúr dtoil.

Marty.

Glad you clarified in the Emergency services forum that he is not as you say "unofficially stationed there" but rather usually in there at night, when he is on the beat. Which is totally different.

That is exactly what I said here aswell... In fact that quote above IS from here.
    Now troll somewhere else... Your on boards 2 days... Be nice.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Not opening as such but the service station on Ennis Road by union cross is becoming a Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Riddlers has re-opened under new ownership. Two lads from Clare as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

Jofspring wrote: »
    Riddlers has re-opened under new ownership. Two lads from Clare as far as I know.
    again... is that bar above it still open Pier one i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

betonit wrote: »
    again... is that bar above it still open Pier one i think

It is indeed!

Advertisement