Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

So big reveal regarding Athlunkard St, one of the new units is now a Chinese takeaway! There was a lovely smell drifting outside of it and the menu looks good too! So here's hoping its a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

zulutango wrote: »
    I wonder if it's the same owners as the original Green Onion restaurant, also on Rutland Street. It must have closed about 15 years ago.

Nope. That was an American style place owned by an elderly American couple. The new one looks very modern and trendy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

TychoCaine wrote:
    Nope. That was an American style place owned by an elderly American couple. The new one looks very modern and trendy

You're thinking of the Wild Onion. The Green Onion was a restaurant on Rutland Street in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The new Green Onion is owned by Dave Corbett who used to own the old one when it was on Rutland Street/Ellen Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

The new Green Onion is owned by Dave Corbett who used to own the old one when it was on Rutland Street/Ellen Street.

Was always one of my favorite places to eat when in Limerick. Can't wait to try the new one,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Was the original Green Onion one of the businesses turfed out by the developers of the ill-fated Opera Shopping Centre in 2008? At a time when they didn't even have planning permission. This resulted in a shocking legacy of vacancy and ultimately dereliction. Most of the buildings had to be saved from the brink of structural failure in 2012/13.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Vanquished wrote: »
    Was the original Green Onion one of the businesses turfed out by the developers of the ill-fated Opera Shopping Centre in 2008? At a time when they didn't even have planning permission. This resulted in a shocking legacy of vacancy and ultimately dereliction. Most of the buildings had to be saved from the brink of structural failure in 2012/13.

Fairly certain it was closed long before 2008, though open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

You're thinking of the Wild Onion. The Green Onion was a restaurant on Rutland Street in the 90's.

Was there a mezzanine overhead the kitchen ? Something to do with nancys, a sister maybe running it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

oleras wrote: »
    Was there a mezzanine overhead the kitchen ? Something to do with nancys, a sister maybe running it ?

Yeah, it definitely had a mezzanine in the old Town Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

you're right. ta

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Yeah, it definitely had a mezzanine in the old Town Hall.

Had my 18th with my family in The Green Onion (and then on to docs with my underage mates!) Always though the Green Onion was lovely with the Mezzaine inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

Anyone know what's going into the old Freshii unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jjoconoor

Anyone know what's going into the old Freshii unit?

I seen the guy from Bean n Ti in there yesterday so he has something to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

jjoconoor wrote: »
    I seen the guy from Bean n Ti in there yesterday so he has something to do with it

I've seen him come out of there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

So regarding the title of this thread 'Limerick businesses opening', the general jist of the posts is that there is no business of any significance opening in Limerick. Certainly nothing that pays much above minimum wage and anti social hours. Is any pressure being put on the various well paid State agencies and politicians about this?

SME's are the backbone of the Irish economy.

SME's are the backbone of the Irish economy.

Do you reckon pound shops, vape shops, cafes etc where pay is borderline minimum for anti social hours is the way to go?

No, not really. I'd like to see more meaningful business activity in the city centre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Do you reckon pound shops, vape shops, cafes etc where pay is borderline minimum for anti social hours is the way to go?

Thousands of jobs have been created over the last number of years in places like Regeneron, GM, Northern Trust, Uber, NAC etc. Very few are minimum wage and most are highly skilled and payed. Limerick doesn't just exist of vape shops and cafes when it comes to employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

Any jobs for the city are a good thing. What anti social hours there's only one cafe I the city open after 7

• Advertisement

Thousands of jobs have been created over the last number of years in places like Regeneron, GM, Northern Trust, Uber, NAC etc. Very few are minimum wage and most are highly skilled and payed. Limerick doesn't just exist of vape shops and cafes when it comes to employment.

Don't feed the troll. Hardly posts anything positive here when there's nothing to keep his interest in the Tipp forums.

jjoconoor wrote: »

Interesting! Thanks so much!

Surely not another cafe... I mean I wouldn't be shocked but it wouldn't make much sense with them already owning Beanati + Melt, Starbucks, Costa, Esquire, O Brien's, etc so close...

They own all those?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Mc Love wrote: »
    They own all those?!?

That's the way I read it too but the Costa franchise is owned by one person in Ireland. He also owns the KFC franchise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Nope. The chains mentioned are all owned by different operators although I believe Esquires are franchise operated.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/325044/plans-in-place-to-double-size-of-suburban-limerick-shopping-centre.html

Castletroy SC goes from strength to strength.

They own all those?!?

No omg, sorry! long day and lack of proofreading/punctuation. Should have read:
    I mean I wouldn't be shocked, but it wouldn't make much sense with them already owning Beanati. Plus Melt, Starbucks, Costa, Esquire, O Brien's, etc so close...

Anyway, who knows! Best of luck with it. I'd love for the old Krank's to get something good too and the whole place would be thriving (I mean it's great how it is regardless). I really think a shop (not a food place - just doesn't pan out with the space) like a Spar (Centra's are pretty close either side) would do great there.

Only way a food place would work was if it was a known chain or something totally new to Limerick (holding out for a Korean restaraunt) but even then the space is so limited - it's not great. Would have to be a Mr Noodle (selling point being takeout) kinda thing.

Don't feed the troll. Hardly posts anything positive here when there's nothing to keep his interest in the Tipp forums.

Just to be clear, there is no trolling here, not on my part anyway.
    I have no idea what you are talking about as regards Tipp forums, perhaps you might elaborate?
    The bottom line is that I don't believe enough is being done to attract more high end jobs into Limerick, or other large centres of population outside Dublin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Just to be clear, there is no trolling here, not on my part anyway.
    I have no idea what you are talking about as regards Tipp forums, perhaps you might elaborate?
    The bottom line is that I don't believe enough is being done to attract more high end jobs into Limerick, or other large centres of population outside Dublin.

Uber, NAC, STATS, BD, Mazars, Regeneron, GM. Just some of the high end jobs attracted to Limerick in recent years. Stop talking through your hole.

Uber, NAC, STATS, BD, Mazars, Regeneron, GM. Just some of the high end jobs attracted to Limerick in recent years. Stop talking through your hole.

Charming!
    What part of 'I don't believe enough is being done to attract MORE high end jobs into Limerick' went over your head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

From someone who works in and recruits 'high end jobs' we are finding it extremely hard to find staff to fill the current roles. Its the same in all 'high end' companies which is why you'll have seen a push in the national media to highlight the attractions of coming to live and work in the mid west.
    Surely a cursory browse of the internet will show you the number of positions available locally.
    If anything Limerick needs a big manufacturing plant for those not as skilled

Advertisement