Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What part of go back to After Hours/Tipp forums did you not get? You always seem to be very critical of Limerick when you post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

My company can't get high skilled people either. Pay and conditions are good but there's a huge prejudice against the city (and it comes from people in the city as much as those who have never been here). People are very resistant to moving here. Those who do take the plunge tend to choose to live far outside it and commute in and they then become part of the problem. That's a huge challenge for Limerick. In some part it's a marketing challenge because one can definitely have a very nice lifestyle here and it's about promoting that possibility, but in another way we have to make progress in making the city appealing because the first impressions for a lot of people only confirm the horror stories and prejudice they've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Council has a marketing office which seem to be fairly useless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Mc Love wrote: »
    What part of go back to After Hours/Tipp forums did you not get? You always seem to be very critical of Limerick when you post here.

I'm not at all critical of Limerick I just don't get excited about more vape shops and coffee shops opening in the city. What I am critical of is the way Limerick is not being portrayed as it should be in appositive light. Just have a look at the Limerick Leader facebook page and you will see every second upload by them is a court case or something negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

mitresize5 wrote: »
    From someone who works in and recruits 'high end jobs' we are finding it extremely hard to find staff to fill the current roles. Its the same in all 'high end' companies which is why you'll have seen a push in the national media to highlight the attractions of coming to live and work in the mid west.
    Surely a cursory browse of the internet will show you the number of positions available locally.
    If anything Limerick needs a big manufacturing plant for those not as skilled

Really! Offer the right terms and fringe benefits and you will fill the jobs. A recruitment agencies idea of offering 12 month contracts with no fringe benefits won't cut much ice with an experienced applicant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

One look around the city centre and beyond will tell you why people are not in a rush to move to limerick.

Everytime I go in to town, it annoys me. there is litter everywhere. O'Connell Street is still a mess, the amount of dereliction in the city centre hasn't really changed. Cruises street is a joke, buildings are not painted or looked after in most of the city centre, the Georgian quarter is falling down for the most part. The first Street you see coming off the train is a dump. The milk market , one of the great things about Limerick is surrounded by rot. Unfinished buukdings, empty building that development of shops at the back where the gardening place is just looks awful.

The Shannon bridge draped with cheap tacky fairy lights, half of which are not working.

Was at the milk market on Saturday and really could only laugh at the market quarter signs they put up on Ellen street, and half the buildings shut or empty. Similarly the fashion quarter up around Catherine Street and Roche's street.

They still have all those murals around the opera center site from the 2020 bid and they look like crap, dirty tired and just highlight the buildings being empty.

Great city with great people but let's get real here. First impressions last, and Limerick does not make a good impression. I know loads of people who have moved to or back to the area recently but not one of them will live in the city and I can't say I blame them.

You can have as many fluffy articles about how great the place is but it needs work big time to attract people in. Some of the above can easily be remedied but there seems to be no will to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Agree on Limerick Marketing office.

****ing useless.

Given the people involved, I'm not surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭sleepyman

tototoe wrote: »
    One look around the city centre and beyond will tell you why people are not in a rush to move to limerick.

Everytime I go in to town, it annoys me. there is litter everywhere. O'Connell Street is still a mess, the amount of dereliction in the city centre hasn't really changed. Cruises street is a joke, buildings are not painted or looked after in most of the city centre, the Georgian quarter is falling down for the most part. The first Street you see coming off the train is a dump. The milk market , one of the great things about Limerick is surrounded by rot. Unfinished buukdings, empty building that development of shops at the back where the gardening place is just looks awful.

The Shannon bridge draped with cheap tacky fairy lights, half of which are not working.

Was at the milk market on Saturday and really could only laugh at the market quarter signs they put up on Ellen street, and half the buildings shut or empty. Similarly the fashion quarter up around Catherine Street and Roche's street.

They still have all those murals around the opera center site from the 2020 bid and they look like crap, dirty tired and just highlight the buildings being empty.

Great city with great people but let's get real here. First impressions last, and Limerick does not make a good impression. I know loads of people who have moved to or back to the area recently but not one of them will live in the city and I can't say I blame them.

You can have as many fluffy articles about how great the place is but it needs work big time to attract people in. Some of the above can easily be remedied but there seems to be no will to do so.

Great post.The new developments are undermined by the ******y state of the likes of William St,lack of bins,tacky shopfronts etc.It doesn't take a lot to give a lick of pain on buildings etc.WTF is a Dealz doing in such a prominent place in Bedford Row?It just cheapens the place.The Council or whoever need to take their heads out of the arses and clean the place up.
    Why can't the footpath coming over the bridge near Billy Higgins be fixed-it's been a state for years.There's just a general lack of upkeep.
    There need to be more jobs/apartments built in the city also.
    I love my city but it's depressing to see it look more tacky than the likes of Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

sleepyman wrote: »
    Great post.The new developments are undermined by the ******y state of the likes of William St,lack of bins,tacky shopfronts etc.It doesn't take a lot to give a lick of pain on buildings etc.WTF is a Dealz doing in such a prominent place in Bedford Row?It just cheapens the place.The Council or whoever need to take their heads out of the arses and clean the place up.
    Why can't the footpath coming over the bridge near Billy Higgins be fixed-it's been a state for years.There's just a general lack of upkeep.
    There need to be more jobs/apartments built in the city also.
    I love my city but it's depressing to see it look more tacky than the likes of Galway

To add to this it also bugs the **** out of me seeing flowers/weeds growing from buildings and offices/apartments above shops with dirty curtains and blinds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

Uber, NAC, STATS, BD, Mazars, Regeneron, GM. Just some of the high end jobs attracted to Limerick in recent years. Stop talking through your hole.

It's great 'trending' corporations are in Limerick but the issues Limerick has aren't going to be solved by outer entities setting up shop here. Regeneron isn't going to fund The Opera Centre. Uber isn't going to clean up the regeneration areas (although I do believe if the NTA ever got over themselves and gave them a license, Limerick would thrive on affordable public transport), STATS isn't going to build new apartments. It's giving people here great experience but only so they can move on to another city, or country. I imagine if you surveyed people from 16 - 29, a large majority would not see a future for them in Limerick. Like realistically, what is there to keep them here for the rest of our lives? A new cafe? :p

Sure it's about a grand to rent somewhere (decent) a month, when you could pay that (or maybe 3-400 more) in Dublin. Or hell if you can, even in another country it's about the same. Yes, the size may be smaller and it's slightly dearer but that's a decent trade off for the life you may lead there, or the people you could meet. Especially if you're apart of a marginalised community like the LGBT community - something which is hard to be in Limerick with the lack of resources compared to Dublin, two hours away. The 'community', or want for one, seems to be smaller than the inside of Beanati.

The change has to come from within, which lies in the council and SHOCK ALERT the actual citizen of Limerick. Yes, we like to blame all of the issues on the council but we also have voices that we never use, which is very Irish of us. That being said, the majority of the council suck. Yano, the ones that do an awful job at running this city? Evidence? The tarmac. Yes they can entice these corporations here - but then what? That's a band-aid on the actual problems Limerick is facing. And while more units are being let and there's a bit of a revival happening at the moment (Hanging Gardens, The Bedford, The Shack, etc) - you'd be kidding yourself to believe it will actually promote value to the city. We already have great corporations and 5* hotels, but Limerick is still Limerick. It will be about 2050 (no mind 2030) before Limerick is a competitor for another city in Ireland. And that's only if the people/council gets their finger out before then.

What the city needs is more accomodation. It needs better public transport (Bus Eireann are criminally overpriced and their service/routes are appalling). There's a reason why the UL students don't know the city and only stick to Castletroy. It needs more variety. If you're opening a cafe, make it new. Make it an experience. It needs a safer mentality which is hard to do but it is needed. The ferris wheel for Riverfest should be up 365 days a year. That could be our own 'London Eye' (not as grand, of course). We need things that make Limerick, Limerick. All we have is things of the past like King John's. And that's great - but we really should invest in current attractions too. For both the citizens of Limerick and the tourists.

Limerick is a lovely city, and the people for the most part do their best to see the good in it which is what I love and have pride for - as a Limerick man - but it's mismanaged. I hate to pile on top of the 'negative' posts and I'm not being a begrudger, but I really dislike seeing people take that 'seeing the best' mentality too literally and end up burying their heads in the sand to avoid all the issues. And vice versa, I also dislike people who just hate Limerick no matter what is done to better it. Limerick is definitely in the best place it's ever been in, and I really hope it continues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Last I checked this was the Limerick business opening thread. A poster stated that all that was opening was cafes and vape shops. I corrected them.

None of the rest of it has anything to do with businesses opening and should probably be in the development thread.

Last I checked this was the Limerick business opening thread. A poster stated that all that was opening was cafes and vape shops. I corrected them.

None of the rest of it has anything to do with businesses opening and should probably be in the development thread.

With all due respect, it is relevant and it's all related imo. Attracting new business to the city is hampered by its reputation and the state of the city centre in particular is an issue facing any new business opening there.it does not help it's reputation either. Every other city has made huge strides in recent years, and Limerick is still "planning" and "in talks" about another plan to sort.out the state of the place. It is all relevant to new business or potential new business.

Maintaining premises either as a new or existing business is very relevant to a new business opening in Limerick. The lack of action by the council is also very relevant. The failings of the city as an urban centre is again very relevant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

With all due respect, it is relevant and it's all related imo. Attracting new business to the city is hampered by its reputation and the state of the city centre in particular is an issue facing any new business opening there.it does not help it's reputation either. Every other city has made huge strides in recent years, and Limerick is still "planning" and "in talks" about another plan to sort.out the state of the place. It is all relevant to new business or potential new business.

Maintaining premises either as a new or existing business is very relevant to a new business opening in Limerick. The lack of action by the council is also very relevant. The failings of the city as an urban centre is again very relevant.

There are plenty of businesses opening in Limerick and thousands of jobs have been created. I'm not sure what city is leaving Limerick behind. And I'm also not sure what the council has to do with maintaining privately owned premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

NCBI charity shop opening in Grove Island next to the chemist. Think there’s just the one empty unit there now.

There are plenty of businesses opening in Limerick and thousands of jobs have been created. I'm not sure what city is leaving Limerick behind. And I'm also not sure what the council has to do with maintaining privately owned premises.

You seem to have missed his point that the management of the city has a direct effect on the business that takes place here.

You think the city of Limerick is on a par with Cork or Galway or even Waterford or even Kilkenny as an attractive place to live and work? I just don't see it. The city center is depressing and is far far behind the other cities in that regard. To suggest otherwise is delusional.

I never said there wasn't job creation. I do however think that to get people to work here, they need to sort the place out fast, for the reasons mentioned previously. As pointed out by others the higher end jobs are hard to fill because people just don't want to move here. The reasons are obvious if you take an objective look around the place.

I also never said the council should look after private buildings. But the public realm they are supposed to look after, is poorly maintained and neglected. O'Connell Street and Patrick Street are a case in point. They are miserable and their recent work on the paths is a disgrace. Temporary or whatever as it maybe, it is terrible. Temporary in Limerick speak could be 5 years. There are loads of examples.

If they won't look after the areas they are supposed to, why would private business bother to invest in their buildings.

It is all related.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭sleepyman

Maintaining premises either as a new or existing business is very relevant to a new business opening in Limerick. The lack of action by the council is also very relevant. The failings of the city as an urban centre is again very relevant.[/quote

The Council/Limerick Marketing probably think they do a great job.They should be getting onto businesses to clean/paint their premises-either incentivise them or fine them.The tarmacing fiasco indicates they don't really give a toss about the appearance of the city.
    This is what tourists see when they arrive.Do you think they're seeing the same when they're in Galway/Kilkenny?
    When was the last time Howley's quay apartments were painted,the panels above the bus stops in Henry St etc.
    On the plus side I think the quays/boardwalk is a great addition.The new Courthouse has helped remove a derelict site.I'm sure the Gardens project will also add to the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

You think the city of Limerick is on a par with Cork or Galway or even Waterford or even Kilkenny as an attractive place to live and work? I just don't see it. The city center is depressing and is far far behind the other cities in that regard. To suggest otherwise is delusional.

I never said there wasn't job creation. I do however think that to get people to work here, they need to sort the place out fast, for the reasons mentioned previously. As pointed out by others the higher end jobs are hard to fill because people just don't want to move here. The reasons are obvious if you take an objective look around the place.

I also never said the council should look after private buildings. But the public realm they are supposed to look after, is poorly maintained and neglected. O'Connell Street and Patrick Street are a case in point. They are miserable and their recent work on the paths is a disgrace. Temporary or whatever as it maybe, it is terrible. Temporary in Limerick speak could be 5 years. There are loads of examples.

If they won't look after the areas they are supposed to, why would private business bother to invest in their buildings.

It is all related.

This is the problem with Ireland, why does everyone in this country only compare our cities to other Irish cities, as if Irish cities are the absolute pinnacle of what a city should be. There are loads of cities throughout Europe alone that we should be looking at to compare ourselves with in order to find issues we could be doing better in, it's pointless looking at other Irish cities since they all have long serious drawbacks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

zulutango wrote: »
    You seem to have missed his point that the management of the city has a direct effect on the business that takes place here.

Unfortunately, there is nothing any of us can do about it.

Limerick, like all the other cities and counties are managed by a soviet like Local Authority who are all unelected and unaccountable.

We will all be going around in circles until we admit we are all powerless to affect real change....our anger will be misdirected.

If someone thinks that this city is the standout problem then they are also deluded, each city has deep issues with governance and infrastructure, the issues vary from city to city.

I have mentioned it before, Limerick city centre is Irelands finest example of what happens when a state fails to grow regional cities, but every regional city suffers from this problem also...to varying degrees...

For those of us who live here, it shouldn't stop you enjoying a very good quality of life, surrounded by your family or friends, in a city that is fairly easy to get around...if the state of the city does impede your quality of life I suspect it is because you are an individual that enjoys wallowing in misery, complaining as loud as you can , but doing f##k all to enhance the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Arrival wrote: »
    This is the problem with Ireland, why does everyone in this country only compare our cities to other Irish cities, as if Irish cities are the absolute pinnacle of what a city should be. There are loads of cities throughout Europe alone that we should be looking at to compare ourselves with in order to find issues we could be doing better in, it's pointless looking at other Irish cities since they all have long serious drawbacks

Indeed they do. It's foolish and misleading to portray Limerick as the poor relation compared to the vibrant, flourishing, masterpieces of urban planning that are the other Irish cities. The reality is that they are all highly dysfunctional and flawed. Each suffers from varying degrees of dilapidation and dereliction. Poorly maintained premises are certainly not unique to Limerick. Take a look at the upper floors next time you're in Dublin or Cork city centres for instance. I always laugh when Galway is held up as an example of the type of city Limerick should aim to emulate. Galway is an overrated traffic choked, sprawling mess. It's city centre is small and limited and devoid of the type of architectural heritage that we take for granted and indeed shamefully neglect.

Having said all that. There is no doubt that Limerick city centre is disgracefully mismanaged. The Council has no desire or vision to improve the aesthetic appearance of our streets. Just look at the embarrassing lack of progress in rolling out upgrade schemes and the staggering incompetence in delivering the O'Connell Street project. Where is the co-ordinated plan for the primary Georgian streets for instance? The city centre requires high quality paving and lighting, more trees, more public spaces, less clutter and no ugly wires and poles. These simple concepts appear to be entirely beyond the capabilities of the local authority unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Even with all its flaws, and there are many, it's a fantastic place to live, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Just to clarify its not living in Limerick that is stopping high tech companies filling roles, it lack of supply of suitable candidates.  
    The same roles arent been filled in Dublin, Cork, Amsterdam, Barcelona and Silicon Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

shanmo wrote: »
    So big reveal regarding Athlunkard St, one of the new units is now a Chinese takeaway! There was a lovely smell drifting outside of it and the menu looks good too! So here's hoping its a good one.

got a takeaway from Blossom on Sunday night it was nice enough
    herself did complain about there being lots carrots in the curry

but otherwise i thought it was tasty enough will probably order again

my only gripe is they charge for delivery

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Just to clarify its not living in Limerick that is stopping high tech companies filling roles, it lack of supply of suitable candidates.  
    The same roles arent been filled in Dublin, Cork, Amsterdam, Barcelona and Silicon Valley.

That's not the case in the place where I work. We have no shortage in the Dublin or Cork offices. We can't get people to come to Limerick though. The narrative about it being a dangerous, unpleasant, unattractive place is rooted very deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Arrival wrote:

Oh god no. I went to a liveablelimerick meeting once and it was 3 hours of them talking about how Limerick should become the new Utrecht, or whatever European city du jour they were talking about. Why do we need to compare ourselves to any other cities at all?
    I think Limerick has a culture of marketing itself very poorly. I escaped Limerick as quick as I could when I was 18 and none of the friends I left with or friends from Limerick I met in Dublin had any desire to move back to Limerick. It's a shame as the culture of the city has really transformed in recent years but the message really is not getting out there on what a cool place limerick is to live!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

zulutango wrote: »
    That's not the case in the place where I work. We have no shortage in the Dublin or Cork offices. We can't get people to come to Limerick though. The narrative about it being a dangerous, unpleasant, unattractive place is rooted very deep.
    Christ, I never realised that such a preconception was so strong. There have been many improvements in Limerick since the gangland crime era, but I guess it is hard to shed such an established image (which the media were so eager to anoint on Limerick, I might add).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭geotrig

The only comparison I make on limerick to other cities and mostly european at that, and it seems to be a common thingfor most irish cities ,is the dirt of the actuall streets ,
    Now not all european cities are "clean" ,but they get washed down a lot more and power washed more than once a year , if we even get that. just walk around and look down the staining and dirt of the paths streets bugs me a lot, the black tarmac makes it look tidy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I see that the Stormy Teacup is opening an espresso bar. Looks to be on little Catherine Street

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

panda100 wrote: »
    I see that the Stormy Teacup is opening an espresso bar. Looks to be on little Catherine Street
    no units empty on little Catherine Street bar greenes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I think it might be in the unit previously home to Eddie’s Barbers, between Bean a Ti and O&F.

Advertisement