Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

panda100 wrote: »
    Oh god no. I went to a liveablelimerick meeting once and it was 3 hours of them talking about how Limerick should become the new Utrecht, or whatever European city du jour they were talking about. Why do we need to compare ourselves to any other cities at all?
    I think Limerick has a culture of marketing itself very poorly. I escaped Limerick as quick as I could when I was 18 and none of the friends I left with or friends from Limerick I met in Dublin had any desire to move back to Limerick. It's a shame as the culture of the city has really transformed in recent years but the message really is not getting out there on what a cool place limerick is to live!

For the same reason we compare anything, to recognise areas we are falling behind in, new approaches to dealing with issues we may face, new cultures to improve our lifestyle. It's always worth objectively looking at things and comparing them with 'better' things in order to help find things and ways to improve, as individuals, as companies, as nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Christ, I never realised that such a preconception was so strong. There have been many improvements in Limerick since the gangland crime era, but I guess it is hard to shed such an established image (which the media were so eager to anoint on Limerick, I might add).

I had no idea how ingrained it was either until I left Limerick, the media (local and national, have been a huge contributing factor imo)but are not the root cause of the problem, for instance, Derry and Belfast which suffered much much worse violence (and it was all reported day in day out) than Limerick ever did never suffered from the same image problem this city still suffers from....it is a much deeper cultural issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stuckintipp

Some people here are kidding themselves, the main Limerick city Centre streets are a KIP, they are dirty and ugly. It is thronged full of underserables that you wouldn’t want to live beside if you’d a choice; tattoo covered, unshaven, overweight, fags, tracksuits and wife beaters (and that’s just the women, haha) ...... I could go on. OConnell street around Debenhams, Cruises street, Denmark Street and William St, the Centre of town are all awful. The main road in from Parkway doesn’t inspire a nice feeling, thomond gate, dock road, Childers road. All the main visible areas are ugly.

There are many fine places out in the suburbs, a few nice areas on upper OConnell Street that are hidden from passing traffic.

It’s the Centre of limerick and most orbital routes that give the bad impression..... and the Centre full of knackers......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

dunworth1 wrote: »
    got a takeaway from Blossom on Sunday night it was nice enough
    herself did complain about there being lots carrots in the curry

but otherwise i thought it was tasty enough will probably order again

my only gripe is they charge for delivery

Don't all Chinese takeaways charge for delivery and think it's free delivery if your order is €15 or over.

Some people here are kidding themselves, the main Limerick city Centre streets are a KIP, they are dirty and ugly. It is thronged full of underserables that you wouldn’t want to live beside if you’d a choice; tattoo covered, unshaven, overweight, fags, tracksuits and wife beaters (and that’s just the women, haha) ...... I could go on. OConnell street around Debenhams, Cruises street, Denmark Street and William St, the Centre of town are all awful. The main road in from Parkway doesn’t inspire a nice feeling, thomond gate, dock road, Childers road. All the main visible areas are ugly.

There are many fine places out in the suburbs, a few nice areas on upper OConnell Street that are hidden from passing traffic.

It’s the Centre of limerick and most orbital routes that give the bad impression..... and the Centre full of knackers......

You are right about one thing...some people are kidding themselves!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Stormy Teacup going into where Funky Donut were,
    FD announced their closing this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Though progress is slow and uneven limerick city is undeniably improving imo. A number of developments including uber, the ģarden site etc are helping. It needs the opera development to make a significant statement of progress. It will never be Galway or kilkenny in terms of tourism. However, the number of people visiting limerick city and county is increasing dramatically. All provincial cities are experiencing development problems, Galway with traffic etc, while there is major concern in waterford that progress has halted, with major projects unlikely to be completed. So, while accepting that things could be better imo the glass is half full. Now, my big worry is that both clare and limerick win the hurling semifinals. I couldn't easily cope with a final loss to limerick hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭geotrig

Glenomra wrote: »
    However, the number of people visiting limerick city and county is increasing dramatically.

This !and its great to see ,Over maybe the last 2 years numbers are visibly greater than before so for one you can see the benefits of some developments.i wonder outside of the great atlantic way or whatever its called ,has limerick proactively set up to draw more tourist or are we just benefiting from the GAW tourism push.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Willot, a menswear brand, has opened in Castletroy Town Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

Glenomra wrote: »
    It will never be Galway or kilkenny in terms of tourism.

Why not? I wouldn't rate Limerick as a particularly attractive tourist destination today but it has huge potential when you consider the 2 historic quarters, the waterfront & location. Now if the council and city businesses could some how show vision and leadership by taking what some might consider brave decisions to make the city a more attractive place to live, work, shop and entertain in then I don't see why Limerick wouldn't be a much more attractive destination for both national and international visitors than either of the 2 aforementioned cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

LeoD wrote: »
    Why not? I wouldn't rate Limerick as a particularly attractive tourist destination today but it has huge potential when you consider the 2 historic quarters, the waterfront & location. Now if the council and city businesses could some how show vision and leadership by taking what some might consider brave decisions to make the city a more attractive place to live, work, shop and entertain in then I don't see why Limerick wouldn't be a much more attractive destination for both national and international visitors than either of the 2 aforementioned cities.
    A lot of people see that potential, thats's the frustration, we get more things wrong than right, 25 -30 years ago we were on a par with Cork/Galway now we're way off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Heresy!! We are the poor, dysfunctional cousins. The small, glorified towns of Galway and Kilkenny are and always will be better than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

LeoD wrote: »

There was an article in the indo about family days out for each and every county in Ireland.

Three listings for Limerick. The Hunt Museum, Thomondgate Park and UL Activity Centre (which is in Clare I believe)

Limerick really needs better attractions

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There was an article in the indo about family days out for each and every county in Ireland.

Three listings for Limerick. The Hunt Museum, Thomondgate Park and UL Activity Centre (which is in Clare I believe)

Where's that then? And how on earth could they leave out Kings Johns Castle? It's kind of hard to miss.
    Also, if the article was about activities in the county, why did the ignore the actual county?

Auto correct

King John's Castle is an awful boring experience

Auto correct

King John's Castle is an awful boring experience

It would be....for people with absolutely no interest in Irish history.

In fact, Limerick is a city for people who enjoy learning about Irish history, it is all right in front of you, within walking distance, if you bother to look of course.

It also has its very own unique character uncompromised by mass tourism.

I remember being in Kilkenny one afternoon at about 6pm on a Sat (just arrived for a Stag party) it seemed every second person I passed was hammered drunk...popularity comes at a price in Ireland, a price I'd rather not pay!

King John's is best enjoyed from the outside. Nothing to see inside.

Bunratty is far, far more enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Bunratty is far, far more expensive

Fixed that for you. I did KJC last summer and thought it was very good. Did the hunt museum this year and it is fantastic. If the attractions were marketed well Limerick could flourish. We are 15 minutes from an international airport bringing 1000s of Americans alone, who come for castles and scenery. Why is it they hop in the rentals in shannon and either go north or south but don't visit the nearest city? I would hazard a guess it's not even mentioned or suggested in any Irish holiday package being sold abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

The Sunday Tines had a railway journey feature on the 22nd. Limerick section mentioned King John’s Castle, Hunt Museum, Nevsail and The Milk Market.

But Bunratty as a castle has very little historical merit.

It does however have loads of shiny things that distract from that fact...history isn't your thing, no big deal.

• Advertisement

It does however have loads of shiny things that distract from that fact...history isn't your thing, no big deal.

Quit your condescending. You know nothing about me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The fact that everything inside the castle was demolished and Corporation houses were built inside the castle , and remained there until the 80's explains that. It is impressive from the outside alright.

Quit your condescending. You know nothing about me

What do you expect, you are on an online forum, calling KJC boring...that no one would call you out on it? Some people like history some don't, if you weren't so condescending to local history I'd apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

I'm from Limerick but my first visit to KJK was last year. I've visited Bunratty numerous times and even brought people visiting ireland, to Bunratty. I must say i had low expectations upon my visit, but i was hugely surprised. It's history is amazing, from how King John deciding to build the castle, to the links it has with the battle of the boyne, the last great stronghold against King William & the siege of Limerick to the signing of the Treaty. The castle actually has significant importance to all of Ireland. The museum is great and really informative. The views from the castle looking up and down the river are pretty amazing too so its really worth a visit imo.

Bunratty obviously has a great interior which KJK doesnt have, and it has the folk park which the kids and American's love. But now that i'm older and after going to KJK it pales in comparison.

What do you expect, you are on an online forum, calling KJC boring...that no one would call you out on it? Some people like history some don't, if you weren't so condescending to local history I'd apologise.

Condescending to local history? Get over yourself :D

damowill wrote: »
    I'm from Limerick but my first visit to KJK was last year. I've visited Bunratty numerous times and even brought people visiting ireland, to Bunratty. I must say i had low expectations upon my visit, but i was hugely surprised. It's history is amazing, from how King John deciding to build the castle, to the links it has with the battle of the boyne, the last great stronghold against King William & the siege of Limerick to the signing of the Treaty. The castle actually has significant importance to all of Ireland. The museum is great and really informative. The views from the castle looking up and down the river are pretty amazing too so its really worth a visit imo.

Bunratty obviously has a great interior which KJK doesnt have, and it has the folk park which the kids and American's love. But now that i'm older and after going to KJK it pales in comparison.

Bunratty was built for the masses by Shannon Development, Limerick on the other hand is not now nor will ever be for those same masses.

The motto of this city is, in latin, "An Ancient City well versed in the Art of War", before the likes of Paul Williams shat all over our history, it was called that because it has been seiged 5 times, and seen more war than a city this size should. All that history is still evident today all over the city, in little bits and pieces, it is what makes it a fascinating city to explore with someone who knows what they are talking about.

Condescending to local history? Get over yourself :D

You said, KJC is boring! That says more about you than I ever could.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

The fact that everything inside the castle was demolished and Corporation houses were built inside the castle , and remained there until the 80's explains that. It is impressive from the outside alright.
    There was nothing inside KJC that was lost by the houses being built infact they preserved the archaeology and imo the walls of the castle itself.
    The fact that the interpretive centre was at one time one of the most award wining buildings in ireland as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Bunratty was built for the masses by Shannon Development, Limerick on the other hand is not now nor will ever be for those same masses.

The motto of this city is, in latin, "An Ancient City well versed in the Art of War", before the likes of Paul Williams shat all over our history, it was called that because it has been seiged 5 times, and seen more war than a city this size should. All that history is still evident today all over the city, in little bits and pieces, it is what makes it a fascinating city to explore with someone who knows what they are talking about.

Bunratty as a castle is there since the 15th century and has history way before that. Both are managed by Shannon heritage and their purposes now are exactly the same. To get visitors in the door. Shannon heritage were also heavily involved in the redevelopment of kjc as it is in its current guise for exactly that reason...to get people in the door.

You are talking horse manure and know sweet f.a about tourism to come out with your recent comments.

• Advertisement

tototoe wrote: »
    Bunratty as a castle is there since the 15th century and has history way before that. Both are managed by Shannon heritage and their purposes now are exactly the same. To get visitors in the door. Shannon heritage were also heavily involved in the redevelopment of kjc as it is in its current guise for exactly that reason...to get people in the door.

You are talking horse manure and know sweet f.a about tourism to come out with your recent comments.

Jesus who pissed on your chips!!

I am well aware of the history of Bunratty Castle, which is I why I know it is not of huge significant merit, as a building a few hundred years old of course it has a history, just a rather insignificant one....the folk park is a recent construct...you know that right?

KJC was redone a few years ago and it finally has done justice to the history of that castle, which is far greater significance than Bunratty, don't take my word for it, check out the history books!!

Exactly what about what I said is "horse manure" and exactly how do you know that I know sweet FA about tourism?

Advertisement