Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Jesus who pissed on your chips!!

I am well aware of the history of Bunratty Castle, which is I why I know it is not of huge significant merit, as a building a few hundred years old of course it has a history, just a rather insignificant one....the folk park is a recent construct...you know that right?

KJC was redone a few years ago and it finally has done justice to the history of that castle, which is far greater significance than Bunratty, don't take my word for it, check out the history books!!

Exactly what about what I said is "horse manure" and exactly how do you know that I know sweet FA about tourism?

What do you expect, you are on an online forum, calling Bunratty Castle insignificant...that no one would call you out on it?

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

What do you expect, you are on an online forum, calling Bunratty Castle insignificant...that no one would call you out on it?

:D:D:D:D:D

:):)..that's actually a good one! Take a bow sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

damowill wrote: »
    I'm from Limerick but my first visit to KJK was last year. I've visited Bunratty numerous times and even brought people visiting ireland, to Bunratty. I must say i had low expectations upon my visit, but i was hugely surprised. It's history is amazing, from how King John deciding to build the castle, to the links it has with the battle of the boyne, the last great stronghold against King William & the siege of Limerick to the signing of the Treaty. The castle actually has significant importance to all of Ireland. The museum is great and really informative. The views from the castle looking up and down the river are pretty amazing too so its really worth a visit imo.

Bunratty obviously has a great interior which KJK doesnt have, and it has the folk park which the kids and American's love. But now that i'm older and after going to KJK it pales in comparison.

Like yourself, I'm also from Limerick but probably like the vast majority of people from Limerick, have never visited John's Castle despite it being the defining image of Limerick! It probably says as much about me as it does about how the city is promoted but for me, it just feels a bit isolated/inaccessible for families with small kids. How would you get there with 2-3 kids under 6 if you were coming in from west Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

LeoD wrote: »
    Like yourself, I'm also from Limerick but probably like the vast majority of people from Limerick, have never visited John's Castle despite it being the defining image of Limerick! It probably says as much about me as it does about how the city is promoted but for me, it just feels a bit isolated/inaccessible for families with small kids. How would you get there with 2-3 kids under 6 if you were coming in from west Limerick?

Ya i think i was a little embarrassed that i had never been before. I think us Limerick people look past our city sometimes, rather than be proud of what we have.

If you have a car, there is a car park (think its free) across the way on Castle street. The below link will show where it is on the map & get directions to it.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/King+Johns+Castle+Visitors+Car+Park/@52.6703023,-8.6248419,18.25z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x0:0xfa8910967d69aef4!2sKing+John's+Castle!8m2!3d52.669718!4d-8.6255223!3m4!1s0x485b5c4324ba878f:0xf17644e7e560fa10!8m2!3d52.6710354!4d-8.6247363

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

Car park in KJC is free as is on street on a Sunday possibly Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Is this the Limerick business opening thread?

Mc Love wrote: »

I had to give this thread a miss for a time a while ago...it was just getting too depressing...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Mc Love wrote: »

Sure is but unfortunately, there isn’t many businesses opening lately!

When was the last time a decent shop opened in town that wasn’t a cafe/restaurant? Sostrene Grene?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

When was the last time a decent shop opened in town that wasn’t a cafe/restaurant? Sostrene Grene?

Or a phone/laptop repair place :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

So what if it's a cafe/restaurant? This isn't the 'cool' businesses opening thread. A cafe/restuarant is a business which creates jobs and should be in here. Unlike the discussions about the council and how bad they are that are happening in this thread rather than the threads they belong in.

• Advertisement

So what if it's a cafe/restaurant? This isn't the 'cool' businesses opening thread. A cafe/restuarant is a business which creates jobs and should be in here. Unlike the discussions about the council and how bad they are that are happening in this thread rather than the threads they belong in.

Ive no problem with cafes and restaurants opening and don’t think they should be discounted for this thread. As someone who likes to eat out and drink coffee, I enjoy trying them all. I was merely pointing out that there is a real lack of retail/other businesses opening and it’s disappointing. The city centre has really picked up for eating and drinking but in relation to other stores it hasn’t changed much in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭MrLaurel

The city centre has really picked up for eating and drinking but in relation to other stores it hasn’t changed much in the last 10 years.

Yes, it has. It's gotten worse. Retail in the City Centre is down to perhaps 10 decent shops at most. BT, O'Mahonys, Easons, Keanes & Matthew Stephens, Penneys and Debenhams, Connollys, a few on Bedford Row, sweet FA on Cruises St, Compu B and very little else.

Retail model has changed it is affecting high streets across the world, I don't see the Limerick Retail landscape changing for the better anytime soon.

City Centres don't just have to be about high street brands though, I think pedestrianising Catherine St would have a huge impact on the quality of independent retailers/businesses on that street.

The quality of coffee shops has come on in leaps and bounds over the last few years, as has the casual food offerings.

Jobs and people actually living in the city centre are whats required, that means us, who all flock to the suburbs and sometimes gleefully complain about how bad the city centre is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Has this been mentioned? A new butcher's shop is being installed on the ground floor of Arthur's Quay, next to Regatta.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭wildrover444

Anyone know whats going into place formally known as formula of fun near rhebogue. Alot of renovations going on in there at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Workers in doing renovations in the corner flag for the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Is Greene's restaurant in William St. shut down, even though it's said to be closed for renovation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

cnoc wrote: »
    Is Greene's restaurant in William St. shut down, even though it's said to be closed for renovation?

Passed it today, looked like it was closed down but not 100% sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

its been closed for about 6 months now, not a sight of any restoration going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

source wrote: »
    Workers in doing renovations in the corner flag for the last few days.

It's opening as a creche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Sodalicious looks ready to go on Lower Cecil Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Vanquished wrote: »
    Sodalicious looks ready to go on Lower Cecil Street.

Passed it today, door open and staff inside, not sure if training or open for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jjoconoor

source wrote: »
    Passed it today, door open and staff inside, not sure if training or open for business.

They opened for a soft opening, no food just coffees etc..

Open fully on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

What's the name of the recently opened outdoor wear shop on Cruise's St please?

juneg wrote: »
    What's the name of the recently opened outdoor wear shop on Cruise's St please?

There’s two.

Outdoor Adventure Store in where Mothercare was and Mountain Warehouse where Wallis used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

Mountain warehouse and outdoor adventure store

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

cnoc wrote: »
    Shn99 wrote: »
    Passed it today, looked like it was closed down but not 100% sure
    its been closed for about 6 months now, not a sight of any restoration going on.

I heard they are looking to put apartments in there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone know if Lidl on the Dublin Road be open till 9 pm or 10 pm tonight?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'd say 9 being a BH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

YFlyer wrote: »
    Anyone know if Lidl on the Dublin Road be open till 9 pm or 10 pm tonight?

Thanks

9PM

Advertisement