Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The unit between Subway and Windmill bar Work going on either a coffee shop or takeaway looks like hopefully not another kebab place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

The big café in the milk market that was closed for a while has been refurbished and is open again. I can't remember what it used to be called. It was once a very popular place on Saturdays, then it closed, and a Chinese couple opened it up but it didn't catch on (was mostly empty), and closed down again. The latest iteration is now popular again, with a redesigned kitchen area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Louche Lad wrote:
    The big café in the milk market that was closed for a while has been refurbished and is open again. I can't remember what it used to be called.

Sally Mills. It was run by a bunch of Quakers I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

zulutango wrote: »
    Louche Lad wrote:
    The big cafe in the milk market that was closed for a while has been refurbished and is open again. I can't remember what it used to be called.

Sally Mills. It was run by a bunch of Quakers I think.
    Yes, that was it - Sally Mills! Been trying to think of the name for over a day now. Anyway, the new café has been very nicely done up - new furniture, new tiling etc. - not surprised it was full when I went in on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Yes, that was it - Sally Mills! Been trying to think of the name for over a day now. Anyway, the new café has been very nicely done up - new furniture, new tiling etc. - not surprised it was full when I went in on Saturday.

Is it called Bia? I saw something pop up on my FB feed about a new cafe in the market.

• Advertisement

Lidl are setting up a pop up bakery for a charity gig with Hermitage Green in the market
    I’d say the independent traders ain’t happy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

djdunny wrote: »
    Is it called Bia? I saw something pop up on my FB feed about a new cafe in the market.

Thats the one, it is run by the same people who run The French Table, it is open all week round as far as I can see, really nice breakfast too I might add!

bigpink wrote: »
    Lidl are setting up a pop up bakery for a charity gig with Hermitage Green in the market

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

bigpink wrote: »

It's in The potato market and its a fundraiser for Jigsaw. Tbh I am delighted to see the potato market being used for such events. There's nothing to stop the Market Trustee's/Limerick Council from having a traders market there regularly but they are more interested in the revenue from using it a parking space 5 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

panda100 wrote: »
    It's in The potato market and its a fundraiser for Jigsaw. Tbh I am delighted to see the potato market being used for such events. There's nothing to stop the Market Trustee's/Limerick Council from having a traders market there regularly but they are more interested in the revenue from using it a parking space 5 days a week.

There's hardly a need for an overflow from the Milk Market, bar Saturday that place is close to dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

phog wrote: »
    There's hardly a need for an overflow from the Milk Market, bar Saturday that place is close to dead.

There was a Sunday morning
    market in the Potato Market in the ...
    I’m gonna say ... late 80s early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Yummy yummy asian food has opened on Athlunkard Street beside the new Blossom Chinese restaraunt.

There was a Sunday morning market in the Potato Market in the ... I’m gonna say ... late 80s early 90s.

Early 90's I think. The original intention was for it to be a market when it was renovated. It's completely wasted as a car park.

zulutango wrote: »
    Early 90's I think. The original intention was for it to be a market when it was renovated. It's completely wasted as a car park.

Just found this from 1987. Fab video of the newly opened Potato Market ...

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/1205/925185-limerick-potato-market/

The Milk Market needs to be used more and developed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Potato Market needs to come under 2030. Find a way to incorporate a new development into the existing buildings possibly.

Potato Market needs to come under 2030. Find a way to incorporate a new development into the existing buildings possibly.

2030 needs to be revised. It's not a particularly great vision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

kilburn wrote: »
    Yummy yummy asian food has opened on Athlunkard Street.

Is it actually called 'yummy yummy asian food'? :pac:

It's already included in Limerick 2030 in lots of ways. Here are some of them:
    This new Riverside Park will run the length of the City Centre from Sarsfield Bridge through where Sarsfield House currently stands, along between the Hunt Museum and the River and over a new pedestrian bridge into a pedestrianised Potato Market area linking up to the upgraded King John’s Castle tourist attraction;

Creation of a new high quality largely pedestrianised public space – plaza in front of the Court at Merchants Quay/Potato Market to create a setting reflecting the quality of these buildings. Most parking will be relocated from this area.

Completion of the public Riverwalk around the Courts, the Potato Market would connect to the Waterfront at the Hunt Museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

kilburn wrote:
    Yummy yummy asian food has opened on Athlunkard Street beside the new Blossom Chinese restaraunt.

Didn't think it was open yet.

Open space is pointless if it’s not designed well. Look at Arthur’s Quay, Bank Place and Baker Place and even the new space in front of Colbert Station. I like the idea of a central plaza surrounded by buildings rather than just open space. Our track record isn’t the best. The failure to remove all parking from the Potato Market is questionable too.

• Advertisement

Open space is pointless if it’s not designed well. Look at Arthur’s Quay, Bank Place and Baker Place and even the new space in front of Colbert Station. I like the idea of a central plaza surrounded by buildings rather than just open space. Our track record isn’t the best. The failure to remove all parking from the Potato Market is questionable too.

We employ engineers and architects to design our public spaces, neither of which are particularly qualified to do so, and then wonder why our public spaces don't work particularly well. Similarly, we hire civil engineers rather than transport planners to design our transport infrastructure and then we wonder why everybody drives everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Im not sure a central plaza would work any better, whats missing is the public! Arthurs Quay park works well for events, although it is odd that the majority of the park ignores the river. I have never been up for mass by bakers but image it works quite well on Sunday afternoon. I remember some friday/saturday nights when Bakers/wicked chicken closed at 12 I would chat outside for 30 minutes, go to Costelloes till 2.30 and meet the same people chatting outside Bakers!

Our public spaces are not used because very few people live or work in town, as a result not much will change in the next few years

shanmo wrote:
    Didn't think it was open yet.

Was open when i passed yesterday

panda100 wrote:
    Is it actually called 'yummy yummy asian food'?

Yep 😂

kilburn wrote: »

I don’t recall seeing a change of use planning application for this. There is one for the Blossom (next door). Also one for Triple Crown but none for the building in between which was last a video rental?

Checked ePlan and don’t see it there.

Either way its open lets see how quick the council cop

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Anyway, the new café has been very nicely done up - new furniture, new tiling etc. - not surprised it was full when I went in on Saturday.

yes its called Bia, run by a french man.....staff are very friendly & welcoming which is always a big plus for me

fryup wrote: »
    Anyway, the new café has been very nicely done up - new furniture, new tiling etc. - not surprised it was full when I went in on Saturday.

yes its called Bia, run by a french man.....staff are very friendly & welcoming which is always a big plus for me

The food looks very good as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

The Office reopening as The Black Rabbit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

New Jack Jones store opening on cruises St soon, jobs advertised on the window of their shop in the crescent.

Advertisement