Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jjoconoor

kilburn wrote: »
    Stupid comment to be fair, why would i be jealous ?

Its common sense, finance and business knowledge speaking

Oh you have your own place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

jjoconoor wrote:
    Oh you have your own place?

Lad if you want a row find someone else i am more than qualified to comment so jog on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Hook and Ladder are overpriced, mediocre and haven't a fcuking clue what the word service means.

Find the food good, but the service is not great at all. Was in the buttery recently and thought that was very overpriced for breakfast, service also mediocre.

Hook and Ladder are overpriced, mediocre and haven't a fcuking clue what the word service means.

Find the food good, but the service is not great at all. Was in the buttery recently and thought that was very overpriced for breakfast, service also mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

I was in the Corbally one twice this year and service was appalling. Hard to believe they can't or won't train their staff to at least a basic level.

g

• Advertisement

tototoe wrote: »

Find service across the city in all restaurants lacking in general, what is it about Hook & ladder that people seem to pick on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

jjoconoor wrote: »
    Find service across the city in all restaurants lacking in general, what is it about Hook & ladder that people seem to pick on?

I would go to the one on Patrick St 7 days a week over The Buttery. Food is always decent, surroundings are nice and I've always found the service to be good. I think a lot of the sniping, rightly or wrongly, stems from their prior business and the messy liquidation.

On a side note, I just don't understand the attraction of The Buttery. The food is nice but too notiony for my liking. But then again I'm a fussy and cranky aul funker so don't mind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

I would go to the one on Patrick St 7 days a week over The Buttery. Food is always decent, surroundings are nice and I've always found the service to be good. I think a lot of the sniping, rightly or wrongly, stems from their prior business and the messy liquidation.

On a side note, I just don't understand the attraction of The Buttery. The food is nice but too notiony for my liking. But then again I'm a fussy and cranky aul funker so don't mind me.

No it is the **** service, appalling waiting time, rude staff and ignorant owner. In both the one in town and in Corbally.

You thin k I'm making it up? Just check the reviews on facebook for all the Hook and Ladder outlets, even the ones in other counties.

Same comments over and over.

Rude ignorant staff, appalling service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Is there a planning notice number?

I saw it on the Leader, it won't be online yet

Can only speak from my own experience, and I don't know the owner or the history but the staff are slow, feels like they are doing your a favour taking your order, and are just not in the least bit friendly.
    In the buttery, kind of the same but the food is not as good imo.was charged extra for coffee with breakfast, which was only ok. Got about 10 baked beans in tiny little metal ramakin and a scoop of some potatoe thing that was supposed to be a hash. Worked out at 12.95 EU or somethingfor an average fry with coffee and not very pleasant staff. Was in Bobby Byrne's on a Sunday morning recently and it was far superior, with very friendly chatty staff.

• Advertisement

Can only speak from my own experience, and I don't know the owner or the history but the staff are slow, feels like they are doing your a favour taking your order, and are just not in the least bit friendly.
    In the buttery, kind of the same but the food is not as good imo.was charged extra for coffee with breakfast, which was only ok. Got about 10 baked beans in tiny little metal ramakin and a scoop of some potatoe thing that was supposed to be a hash. Worked out at 12.95 EU or somethingfor an average fry with coffee and not very pleasant staff. Was in Bobby Byrne's on a Sunday morning recently and it was far superior, with very friendly chatty staff.

I was in Bobbys recently for dinner after a very long time away. I had a selection of tapas which were excellent. The main menu hasn't changed a pile in the last 5/6 years but they do it well so there is no need.

Re H&L I genuinely haven't seen nor experienced crap service but time shall tell. I had one bad meal there, the Tuesday after the Easter Bank Holiday and I told the owner, and to her credit she took it on board, thanked me for being honest rather than waiting to get home and slate them on FB or Tripadvisor and it was removed from the bill. I've had the same dish twice since at least and it was perfect. I've no connection to them but I can honestly say I've only ever had one complaint.

No it is the **** service, appalling waiting time, rude staff and ignorant owner. In both the one in town and in Corbally.

You thin k I'm making it up? Just check the reviews on facebook for all the Hook and Ladder outlets, even the ones in other counties.

Just checked the reviews on FB.

The Waterford branch seems to be poorly reviewed but the Limerick branches all get in excess of 4 stars, Sarsfield bridge getting 5. There are some bad reviews granted but I would take them with a pinch of salt. I am an admin for a retail business with tens of branches nationwide and I can assure you that in the FB world many negative reviews are not what they seem and it is by no means unusual for people to post false reviews. Sorry Sal, I just can't agree with you tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,704 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

kilburn wrote: »
    Lad if you want a row find someone else i am more than qualified to comment so jog on.

Haha - What a rotten comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Just checked the reviews on FB.

The Waterford branch seems to be poorly reviewed but the Limerick branches all get in excess of 4 stars, Sarsfield bridge getting 5. There are some bad reviews granted but I would take them with a pinch of salt. I am an admin for a retail business with tens of branches nationwide and I can assure you that in the FB world many negative reviews are not what they seem and it is by no means unusual for people to post false reviews. Sorry Sal, I just can't agree with you tonight.

I've owned a retail business for 18 years. I now work in third level. I know bad service when I see it. I've had to walk out of Hook & Ladder THREE times (split between Corbally and town) over the shocking service and rude staff.

I believe the negative Facebook reviews as they are all similar to my own experience.

I had the displeasure of speaking to the owner over the phone regarding my experience and he hung up on me.

An absolute arrogant so and so. Wasn't even offered so much as a free cup of tea.

I've owned a retail business for 18 years. I now work in third level. I know bad service when I see it. I've had to walk out of Hook & Ladder THREE times (split between Corbally and town) over the shocking service and rude staff.

I believe the negative Facebook reviews as they are all similar to my own experience.

I had the displeasure of speaking to the owner over the phone regarding my experience and he hung up on me.

An absolute arrogant so and so. Wasn't even offered so much as a free cup of tea.

We'll agree to disagree so Mr. Butamol. I've only ever been in the branch in on Sarsfield St, never Corbally, Castletroy nor Sexton St.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I have found the service a bit scattered and definitely noticeably slow in H&L on Sarsfield Street but never seen anything remotely like rudeness or bad attitude in there. The food is very good quality for breakfast/brunch stuff.

What level of rudeness was experienced to make you walk out three times Sal?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have visited Corbally and Castletroy. The price is expensive and service can be slow but only down to the fact they cook to order. I don't think anybody has ever been rude, surly or anything other than being busy.

You'd think it would be a little cheaper than other places considering they prepare everything off site in an Industrial unit in Raheen. Mass producing certain dishes should surely drive the price down.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

I don’t eat in H&L anymore as the food is very inconsistent. I have had a few bad meals in there so happy to cut my losses and write them off for food. Also, I’ve never experienced any rudeness from staff and found them to be helpful once your seated. My main complaint is that they will leave you waiting 10 mins at the door before acknowledging you exist. It wouldn’t kill anyone to say hi and they will be back to seat you shortly. Coffee is good tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I'm a bit surprised by the negativity towards Hook & Ladder on here...always found the food to be pretty decent. I've personally never experienced any rudeness/poor service from the staff, although they could do with revising their queuing policy! Would agree with others regarding The Buttery though, I would put that in the same class as La Cucina - all style over substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

[quote=keane2097;108153072

What level of rudeness was experienced to make you walk out three times Sal?[/quote]

I'm more curious that a customer, who received such bad service on a first visit that they walked out, then returned for a second AND third visit. Surely you wouldn't darken a door again after one experience of appalling service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

maybe he likes being offended

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

maybe he likes being offended

Am I the only one who thinks it's ironic Sal Butamol seems to get into a huff about a lot of things? :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

My wife and her 2 sisters had to leave Sarsfield Street once because of appallingly slow service, they had to apologise for leaving rather than the staff apologise to them for the delay. They were on a lunch break and had to skip lunch because of the delay, that type of delay and reaction from the staff would hardly entice you back. Needless to say, we haven't been back.

Very interesting to hear what your complaint was? Surely for you to speak to the owner you must have almost been shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

Am I the only one who thinks it's ironic Sal Butamol seems to get into a huff about a lot of things? pacman.gifpacman.gif

No - your not the only one!

I've owned a retail business for 18 years

Its not surprising to see you are gone from it ...you have lambasted business in the last week, quoting and printing Tripadvisor reviews on other businesses and wishing towns were destroyed by Tsunmami's etc. Might be funny to yourself but it gives some insight to your mind set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

pigtown wrote: »
    Hook & Ladder will be opening in the Gardens International development, looking for planning permission for changes to the unit

I’d say the owner of Sodalicuous will be raging! Anyone know how that’s doing? Haven’t seen much promotion or publicity!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I’d say the owner of Sodalicuous will be raging! Anyone know how that’s doing? Haven’t seen much promotion or publicity!

Crazy prices. Walked out.

FutureGuy wrote: »

Had a breakfast in there, very substandard food and over priced. Fit out is nice on the postivek

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

FutureGuy wrote: »

They dropped over some complimentary food to our office the other day, didn't get to try any but one of the lads was over and got a coffee and scone for a fiver, and the scone was half the size of the ones in dunnes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I'm a bit surprised by the negativity towards Hook & Ladder on here...always found the food to be pretty decent. I've personally never experienced any rudeness/poor service from the staff, although they could do with revising their queuing policy! Would agree with others regarding The Buttery though, I would put that in the same class as La Cucina - all style over substance.

I'd be the exact same. H&L has always been good and I don't get why people like the buttery. The food isn't nice at all.

Advertisement