Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Depends what type of store m+s talking about. The Galway one is tiny as an example.

I'll never understand the fascination myself, but whatever does it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

A new business launched in Limerick this morning called EcoStraws where you can purchase different types of Eco friendly reusable straws and 100% biodegradable disposable straws. Great stocking filers for Christmas.

I really like the back story to this new business :)
    It is sometimes hard to believe in coincidence, but amazingly, life has a way of bringing like-minded people together for good reason. We, Sarah, Anthony & Brian, are three running buddies, all members of Bilboa Athletic Club, in Co. Limerick. In September of 2018 we attended the National Geographic Symphony for our World performance by the National Symphony Orchestra at its European debut in Limerick. In addition to the glorious animal & marine-life footage which was a feast for the senses, there was also a serious message: Earth is under assault from the actions of man.

The shocking realisation of the damage that we humans are causing to our planet, spurred us into action. Conversations were had, research conducted, kettles were boiled and after much deliberation we decided upon our target – the plastic straw. This seemingly harmless piece of plastic which has become a menace to marine-life all over the world. And so EcoStraws.ie was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

pigtown wrote: »
    I doubt they are going to build their own store so where could they have in mind? Dunnes definitely won't want them in their empty Sarsfield St site so that leaves the suburbs.

Are there two neighbouring vacant units at the Parkway Retail Park? Putting in a mezzanine there would give lots of floor space. Or maybe the almost empty East Point retail park on the Ballysimon Rd?

The Reid Furniture/Toys R Us unit is still empty. Heard rumours of a Homesense (TK Maxx) but it doesn’t seem to have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

tototoe wrote: »
    Depends what type of store m+s talking about. The Galway one is tiny as an example.

I'll never understand the fascination myself, but whatever does it for you.

Imho, their quality of food is 2nd to none in the supermarket business. I like their mens clothes and it doesn't cost the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

phog wrote: »
    Imho, their quality of food is 2nd to none in the supermarket business. I like their mens clothes and it doesn't cost the earth.

+1. Love M+S food and always make a trip down to Cork or up to Dublin to stock up at Christmas. Purposely went to Galway last weekend for the sole reason to go to M+S to get some new work clothes. They do long length which no shops in Limerick do and their quality of women's clothes is far superior to any other shops in Limerick. Great value also.

It will be a great addition to the city if and whenever it may come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

And the more I think about it, could M&S (potentially) taking the unit at the Parkway Retail Park be Homebase’s reason for changing their mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

panda100 wrote: »
    +1. Love M+S food and always make a trip down to Cork or up to Dublin to stock up at Christmas. Purposely went to Galway last weekend for the sole reason to go to M+S to get some new work clothes. They do long length which no shops in Limerick do and their quality of women's clothes is far superior to any other shops in Limerick. Great value also.

It will be a great addition to the city if and whenever it may come.

i myself dont care too much for M&S however i can see from the public outcry on boards, LL & social media that lots of people would love to see one open in Limerick.

If and when that does happen, I sincerely hope its in the City Centre, although i dont give out much hope!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

And the more I think about it, could M&S (potentially) taking the unit at the Parkway Retail Park be Homebase’s reason for changing their mind?

Do M&S have any store anywhere in a retail park? It doesn't really sound like their preferred location choice. A bit downmarket for their brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Do M&S have any store anywhere in a retail park? It doesn't really sound like their preferred location choice. A bit downmarket for their brand.

Sprucefield

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Killarney. Deer park retail park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Castletroy town centre has a new hairdressers, makeup/beauty place, Christmas shop, and a planning application for a new cafe in the external unit at the cinema end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭geotrig

Is homebase not closing now or am i reading that wrong ?

geotrig wrote: »
    Is homebase not closing now or am i reading that wrong ?

No. It got a reprieve last week. All the closing down sale signs are now gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

pigtown wrote: »
    Castletroy town centre has a new hairdressers, makeup/beauty place, Christmas shop, and a planning application for a new cafe in the external unit at the cinema end.
    How many cafes does one place need?! If that planning is successful, there will be 3 cafes withing 300m of each other. Good for jobs though!

No. It got a reprieve last week. All the closing down sale signs are now gone.

Good to hear !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Good to hear !

Imagine you were a staff member there since the day they opened expecting redundancy and having a job lined up? :pac:

I know somebody in this position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

How many cafes does one place need?! If that planning is successful, there will be 3 cafes withing 300m of each other. Good for jobs though!

It'll be the fourth in that centre. Castletroy as a whole is a bit short on eateries though so I imagine there's business for one.

Berty wrote: »
    Imagine you were a staff member there since the day they opened expecting redundancy and having a job lined up? :pac:

I know somebody in this position.

Didnt even think of that side of it but at least they got a job lined up if needed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

With all this emphasis on Global Warming issues and the growth of veganism-the longer term prospects for Butcher shops wouldn't be the brightest..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

We could find that in a few years certain meats are very heavily taxed. It wouldn't be a bad thing given that meat production is one of the main causes of climate change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Didnt even think of that side of it but at least they got a job lined up if needed :)

Had, job will be gone elsewhere so back to looking again IF they decided to announce the closure again.

boardise wrote: »
    With all this emphasis on Global Warming issues and the growth of veganism-the longer term prospects for Butcher shops wouldn't be the brightest..

We might eat less meat in the future, but it's highly unlikely we'll all go vegan. There'll still be a place for butchers.
    zulutango wrote: »
    We could find that in a few years certain meats are very heavily taxed. It wouldn't be a bad thing given that meat production is one of the main causes of climate change.

I'd say the way we farm them, rather than the product itself. Ireland for example could probably halve it's herd (and therefore carbon output) and still easily feed the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭lazyman

Rumour is that Ramen are opening in Castltroy Shopping Centre in the old car shop across from meadows and byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

panda100 wrote: »
    A new business launched in Limerick this morning called EcoStraws where you can purchase different types of Eco friendly reusable straws and 100% biodegradable disposable straws. Great stocking filers for Christmas.

I really like the back story to this new business :)

Are you involved? If you are, fair play. The thoughts of damage done by straws, single use water bottles etc bothers me.

Just made a purchase on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

lazyman wrote: »
    Rumour is that Ramen are opening in Castltroy Shopping Centre in the old car shop across from meadows and byrne

One of the most impressive turnarounds I've seen in the retail industry. The centre was a basket case, just shows what can be done with good management.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

One of the most impressive turnarounds I've seen in the retail industry. The centre was a basket case, just shows what can be done with good management.

I think the new owners bought the centre at a knockdown price (3.4 million - by way of comparison, Jetland cost 40 million), and with €350k p/a rent at 40% occupancy - so it wasn’t that hard to get tenants in when you’re not saddled with debt from redevelopment as a lot of shopping centers are. That’s not to say they haven’t done a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Work going on in ground floor of building diagonally across from St. Mary’s Church today. Took me ages to find on eplan because that street is technically Seamus O'Cinneide Street and not a continuation of Island Road.

http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/18894/0

‘the change of use of portion of ground floor from its original approved use as retail to use as a gymnasium together with associated new signage’

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Work going on in ground floor of building diagonally across from St. Mary’s Church today. Took me ages to find on eplan because that street is technically Seamus O'Cinneide Street and not a continuation of Island Road.

http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/18894/0

‘the change of use of portion of ground floor from its original approved use as retail to use as a gymnasium together with associated new signage’

I think those ground floor units were never occupied sine that building was constructed.

I hope the users of the new gym are more considerate about where they park than their counterparts over at the Strand Gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

phog wrote: »
    I think those ground floor units were never occupied sine that building was constructed.

I hope the users of the new gym are more considerate about where they park than their counterparts over at the Strand Gym.

Passing it everyday, I always thought that was a car park on the ground floor!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

Sheep Street - at the bottom of the Abbey River Court Apartments.
    I shouldn't imagine parking to be a problem as the Barrington car park is behind it.

Advertisement