Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

whatever about where people want to live there is absolutely no need for an extension to Castletroy shopping centre.

The area is lacking for nothing in terms of retail and entertainment

Supervalu, Lidl and Aldi,
    Banks
    Post Offices
    restaurants
    coffee shops
    chemists
    doctors/dentists/phiso's

... the list goes on, there is simple no need for further commercial space there

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

I'm sure they would but would you mind giving 1 or 2 examples of where you would build this new housing for these people in the city centre? Are you assuming they all want to live in apartments in high rises or actual houses (which is precisely what the suburbs are for)?

exactly they are suburbs. a residential district of a city.

Do you not want a city centre? It seems to me you feel the city centre is only for people living in the the city?

If you believe that an expansion of the CTC would not have a negative impact on the city centre, then you are very naive!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

lazyman wrote: »
    Front page of the weekend leader says Marks and Spencer are going into city centre and not the suburbs.
    Only briefly saw it online so didn't get to see the article....

The article is up online now, but there isn't anything in it other than unnamed 'high level business sources' have said that it'll be in the city center. The rest of the article is just filler waffle.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/348059/revealed-marks-and-spencer-to-skip-limerick-suburbs-and-head-to-city-location.html#.W-3iZlnQRis.twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The news that Marks & Spencer have identified a location in the city centre for a new store is an interesting one. I can't think of any large readymade premises that could accommodate them. Of course it all depends on how significant a presence they want. I'd imagine the former Laura Ashley outlet on Henry Street would be too small.

It might not necessarily be a unit in turnkey condition either. It may be one that requires significant refurbishment or enlargement. The former Pharmacy at the corner of O'Connell Street and Sarsfield Street was set to become a Starbucks but work was stalled back during the summer. Although even a wholesale redevelopment here would hardly provide enough floorspace. It would be great to see the building that houses Superdrug on William Street refurbished and reconfigured. It's a handsome structure with a fine facade that is disgracefully maintained. Decent sized unit too (former Boyd's department store) which could provide floorspace over a number of levels. It would need significant investment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Wonder will the council offer them a deal to go in part of the opera site on patrick street end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 ashmc79

I was wondering would they take the old instore building 3 car parks very near there and very well placed if the opera centre ever happens

kilburn wrote: »
    Wonder will the council offer them a deal to go in part of the opera site on patrick street end

If they did, then you're talking about at least 3-4 years before they'd be moving in. I can't see them waiting that long for the Opera site to be ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

ashmc79 wrote: »
    I was wondering would they take the old instore building 3 car parks very near there and very well placed if the opera centre ever happens

I forgot about that building. It is a bit out of the way though. With the intention to have a good offering as well as clothes you'd expect that carparking would be a requirement for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If its going to be a similar size to that of the kerry store or Galway it will be a disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Don't see the big deal with M&S was in one recently in clonmel and it wasn't exactly thronged ,

Anyway before you bring any more big retailers in the city you'd want a bigger garda presence around the place I don't feel safe walking around the city , I'd much rather go to the crescent or the other ones as it's free parking and next to no dodgy element

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Anyway before you bring any more big retailers in the city you'd want a bigger garda presence around the place I don't feel safe walking around the city , I'd much rather go to the crescent or the other ones as it's free parking and next to no dodgy element

Limerick is a different place now when you compare it to 10 years ago,what a naive statement to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Shn99 wrote: »
    Limerick is a different place now when you compare it to 10 years ago,what a naive statement to make.

And even 10 years ago it wasn't that dangerous.

You do have to accept that there are people who do not feel comfortable in the city centre and never will...

Indeed. And the idea that you don't get any of Limericks 'dodgy element' in the Crescent is laughable. You may not see any junkies, but there are plenty of others who can be seen out there regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Indeed. And the idea that you don't get any of Limericks 'dodgy element' in the Crescent is laughable. You may not see any junkies, but there are plenty of others who can be seen out there regularly.

The car park being the scene of the famous “Kick her in the f*#%$ Kelly!” video!

On a related note, the Milano’s website says its restaurant in the Crescent is opening next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Remember that when M&S closed Dun Laoighre they earmarked Limerick for its largest Irish store so IF it was still the case then it must be bigger than Liffey Valley which is big so nowhere near any site in the city centre.

Now, unlikely it will be that big anymore and if in the city centre it will be a paltry sized store. If anybody has been in the store in Douglas Village S/C then that is pretty small so you might find a building in Limerick city centre big enough to house it. Clonmel is very small, but a bigger clothing section than Douglas, Galway is awful, Athlone(is it still open) is small, Newbridge is a little bigger, Henry Street Dublin is fine, Liffey Valley is the best store in my opinion with Dundrum just behind it. Blanchardstown is only just okay but I think that's down to the local demographic so what's the point making it bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Are you involved? If you are, fair play. The thoughts of damage done by straws, single use water bottles etc bothers me.

Just made a purchase on their site.

Not involved but I know a few who are. I think it's a great idea and I love seeing local business doing well :)
    Just an update. Straws arrived today, zero discernable difference between them and regular plastic straws bar compostability. A lovely note included and a small cotton sleeve to hold the straws. Great service with a personal touch, I wish them the best of luck.

Ah delighted to hear that. :)

Don't see the big deal with M&S was in one recently in clonmel and it wasn't exactly thronged ,

Naive ???? I live here , 10 years ago was much better and much more choice of shops aswell , the place is great if ya want to repair your phone, get a tattoo or a kebab though, dodgy element in the crescent of course there is but you have paid security constantly in there, and of course the free parking as I mentioned also , the YouTube video is at a bus stop outside and it's young ones that happens all over the city and county

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The sooner they bring in parking charges for these big out of town shopping centres the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭dee_mc

zulutango wrote: »
    The sooner they bring in parking charges for these big out of town shopping centres the better.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Naive ???? I live here , 10 years ago was much better and much more choice of shops aswell , the place is great if ya want to repair your phone, get a tattoo or a kebab though, dodgy element in the crescent of course there is but you have paid security constantly in there, and of course the free parking as I mentioned also , the YouTube video is at a bus stop outside and it's young ones that happens all over the city and county
    Much better 10 years ago in the sense that there were multiple criminal gangs, shootings on the streets ect?? what you said originally was nothing to do with shops, it was about you allegedly not feeling safe walking around the city. That’s what I was calling a naive statement. Limerick is a city on the up in recent years, it doesn’t help the cities reputation when such statements are made. If you don’t feel safe walking around limerick in this day and age then I doubt you’d feel safe in any

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

dee_mc wrote: »
    Why?

Don't feed the trolls :pac:

dee_mc wrote: »
    Why?

Pretty much because cars have massive costs for society that the motor tax take doesn't come close to paying for. Providing free parking encourages driving, car dependency, and ultimately urban sprawl, and compounds the economic, social and environmental costs to society.

There's a good book about it - https://www.environmentandurbanization.org/high-cost-free-parking

Berty wrote: »
    Don't feed the trolls :pac:

Making a point that you don't like isn't the same as trolling :)

Never going to happen. There's no way any government would fight that battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

The one in Clonmel is a very poor example of M&S imo. Food area is way too small and selection rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Pretty much because cars have massive costs for society that the motor tax take doesn't come close to paying for. Providing free parking encourages driving, car dependency, and ultimately urban sprawl, and compounds the economic, social and environmental costs to society.

There's a good book about it - https://www.environmentandurbanization.org/high-cost-free-parking

A book that specifically states that it is focused on the USA......:rolleyes:.
    C'mon zulutango, you can surely do better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Dundrum charges for parking, it was a condition of its planning. There's no impediment to doing it, just seems to be one of the selling points out of town centres use.

Much better 10 years ago in the sense that there were multiple criminal gangs, shootings on the streets ect?? what you said originally was nothing to do with shops, it was about you allegedly not feeling safe walking around the city. That’s what I was calling a naive statement. Limerick is a city on the up in recent years, it doesn’t help the cities reputation when such statements are made. If you don’t feel safe walking around limerick in this day and age then I doubt you’d feel safe in any

Hold on now a minute shooting in the streets ???? That's a hyperbolic statement if ever I've seen one , the feud took place in one part of the city mostly and some of the murders didn't even happen out in the city they happened in outskirts near fedamore and near ballysheedy , 10 years ago the city was in a lot better state , there was little to no junkies around the place , my own grandmother used to walk into town everyday for her bits and pieces , and to think that my statement on a forum will do any damage is silly aswell , I love the city I do but all I'm saying is its pretty dangerous at the moment to be walking around in , Garda presence is at an all time low (not that they do much anyway) and drug use is rife in the city , again though it's only my opinion you don't have to agree with me or batter me over the head with yours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

For someone who is from the city your knowledge on where things happened during that period is quite low.

Limerick city is the same as any city centre mind your own business and use your cop on and you will be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 corknewyork

Berty wrote: »
    If anybody has been in the store in Douglas Village S/C then that is pretty small so you might find a building in Limerick city centre big enough to house it
    It was expanded to a second floor a few months ago. I haven't been in it yet but I believe all of the downstairs is now the Food Hall (groceries and café) and the entire second floor is for clothes

Advertisement