Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Gardens International really looks fab and is almost complete I say. I think a food M and S would really suit the lower unit. It's all glass looks like it's will be for retail and is fairly spacious. M and S food there would be class. Percy pigs only 5 minute walk from my house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

It's going in the old Labour exchange in the 'Fashion Quarter'. John from LMR told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Where's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

panda100 wrote: »
    Gardens International really looks fab and is almost complete I say. I think a food M and S would really suit the lower unit. It's all glass looks like it's will be for retail and is fairly spacious. M and S food there would be class. Percy pigs only 5 minute walk from my house!!

Hook & Ladder are opening there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

pigtown wrote: »
    Hook & Ladder are opening there

They are nearly as bad as starbucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

panda100 wrote: »

Don't forget Colin the Caterpillar!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

It's going in the old Labour exchange in the 'Fashion Quarter'. John from LMR told me.

is that where Eir are now? or is it going to be a new build beside it?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jjoconoor

They are nearly as bad as starbucks.

From what I’ve heard it will be nothing like any of their other stores.

Another sub brand, with a focus on “chill” and probably a 24/7 access.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

That’s not really a prime city centre site for retail, is it?
    Also, what is LMR?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Also, what is LMR?

Has to be a new build, the Labour Exchange of what I know of it is where the dole office is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

zulutango wrote:
    The sooner they bring in parking charges for these big out of town shopping centres the better.

Brilliant.....

The parking charges issue is killing shopping in the city so how do we fix it? Charge for parking outside the city!

How about not charge in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Mr.H wrote: »
    Brilliant.....

The parking charges issue is killing shopping in the city so how do we fix it? Charge for parking outside the city!

The couincil cannot charge parking for something they don't own (ie the shopping centres). The owners of the shopping centres are not idiots and won't charge as they know it helps their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Mc Love wrote: »
    Has to be a new build, the Labour Exchange of what I know of it is where the dole office is.

I reckon they mean the site next to the dole office which is currently a car park. It’s located next to the Eir Telephone Exchange begins the billboards on Roches Street. That site was also mentioned in the Leader but as we all know they’re not exactly a reputable source.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Or lads, its RR and you should take these type of utterances with a very large pinch of salt.......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Certain rags use phrases like "It is understood, It is believed" and worse when they want to stir up an audience into a frenzy "It's possible".

"It's possible the government will stop the winter heating allowance for the old and disabled" when it's also possible that meteor will strike but possibly only strike the old and disabled. :D

People will always read/hear what suits them to hear.

As long as M&S don't open an "Metro" store then they will need to find a large site somewhere in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

Also, what is LMR?

Poster RR from Cork is an out and out spoofer. His LMR is Limerick Monorail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Brilliant.....

Because despite what seems obvious to you it doesn't work. There is a physical limit on the amount of cars that can get into, park, and get out of the city. What harms the city, and business in it, more than anything is urban sprawl, peripheral development, car-centric street design and giving over valuable urban space to private cars. Ramming more cars into the city centre will benefit a few businesses, but in the long term it will greatly restrict the economic growth of the city.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/call-for-rates-to-be-imposed-on-car-park-spaces-of-out-of-town-retail-centres-1.1658121

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/our-city-centres-need-footfall-more-than-they-need-cars-838647.html

https://gov.wales/docs/caecd/research/2015/150610-assessing-impact-car-parking-charges-town-centre-footfall-en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭geotrig

zulutango wrote: »
    Because despite what seems obvious to you it doesn't work. There is a physical limit on the amount of cars that can get into, park, and get out of the city. What harms the city, and business in it, more than anything is urban sprawl, peripheral development, car-centric street design and giving over valuable urban space to private cars. Ramming more cars into the city centre will benefit a few businesses, but in the long term it will greatly restrict the economic growth of the city.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/call-for-rates-to-be-imposed-on-car-park-spaces-of-out-of-town-retail-centres-1.1658121

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/our-city-centres-need-footfall-more-than-they-need-cars-838647.html

https://gov.wales/docs/caecd/research/2015/150610-assessing-impact-car-parking-charges-town-centre-footfall-en.pdf

Since you are so so against urban sprawl and ring roads being built, the alternative is development in the city.

At the moment there is no incentive to build in the city , costs are too high as far a i know to develop apartment blocks are they not ?
    A lot of people are put off with maintenance charges that run to circa 1k every year as well as property tax (although there is things i think the government could do to encourage it (apt living)

Very serious question here now though , in the past when citys have built high rise/high density apt s,it has run into issues (turnig into a ghetto/tenement like scenario for various reasons ).
    Is there ways to stop this happening, have we learned how to not create these scenarios arising ?

The answer probably isn't high rise as there's loads of problems associated with that. Mid-rise is a better bet, but building more Mount Kenneths isn't going to cut it. They have to be developments that are attractive to families that are well serviced with public transport, cycle infrastructure and with plenty of amenities on site and nearby.

There's a fantastic book called Happy City, written by Charles Montgomery, which I would highly recommend to anyone interested in how to create cities that people will want to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭geotrig

zulutango wrote: »
    The answer probably isn't high rise as there's loads of problems associated with that. Mid-rise is a better bet, but building more Mount Kenneths isn't going to cut it. They have to be developments that are attractive to families that are well serviced with public transport, cycle infrastructure and with plenty of amenities on site and nearby.

There's a fantastic book called Happy City, written by Charles Montgomery, which I would highly recommend to anyone interested in how to create cities that people will want to live in.

i also think having a maintenace charge along with the same property charge as everyone else is off putting, its needs to be offsett or a reduced property charge for these types of buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

It appears Jack & Jones are opening on Cruises street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

mart 23 wrote: »
    Poster RR from Cork is an out and out spoofer. His LMR is Limerick Monorail

How dare you sully my reputation like that, I'm not from Cork.
    I'm only hoping De Leader steal quotes from here and use them as scoops, which they do from time to time.
    I'm off to Five Guys on O'Connell Street now to cheer myself up after that, followed by a coffee from 3FE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Brilliant.....

because you will have city workers taking all the spaces for 8+ hours and leaving nowhere for the city shopper who wants 2/3 hours.

However, I have to say I rarely fail to find onstreet parking within 5 min walk of the city centre, and @ 1e per hour its hard to understand the constant moan of people giving out about there being no parking in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Sure you can always abandon your car across two lanes on William Street - that's what everyone does.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sure you can always abandon your car across two lanes on William Street - that's what everyone does.
    Or right outside BT, as long as your car is German.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

TychoCaine wrote: »

or o' connell street.... abandon car while they run in for a takeaway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

TychoCaine wrote: »

why are the traffic wardens german?

fryup wrote: »
    why are the traffic wardens german?

Because they were born there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Vila and Milano opened in the Crescent during the weekend and Therapie has signage up next to the 'newsagent', if you could call it that anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

A kiosk would be a fairer name.

Advertisement