Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

dashoonage wrote: »

i heard 5 guys are going in there now.

Are you sure about that? I heard it was M&S :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Dillons petrol station? I live near Homebase, work not far from it and drive past it everyday at least once...and also grew up not far from there and can't recall it for the life of me. Where exactly was it? :confused:

Probably the last petrol station in Limerick that actually provided an attendant to fuel the car for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I remember that petrol station, mainly because it used to be where you'd get the gig bus booked through Empire music.

I remember that petrol station, mainly because it used to be where you'd get the gig bus booked through Empire music.

Kelly Travel. I've gotten the odd bus from there to the Point! Still can't remember a petrol station though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

It died a death after being bypassed by the new road between the Groody & Parkway roundabouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It died a death after being bypassed by the new road between the Groody & Parkway roundabouts

Around then service stations were only beginning to become full service shops rather than just fuel and odds and ends only.

I don't remember the station but I do remember when it was a T Junction with traffic lights where the Dublin road meets the Childers road though.

Entrance to Dunnes was where the green post box is at the O'Brien's off license side. If people can't remember it just look at the street view, you can see where the entrance would have been. Only thing that hasn't changed in there are the red and white tiles on the floor in Dunnes. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

For the idiots among us can someone put up a pic of what's there currently? :o

Wasteland, it was levelled 10-15 years ago. Here's more or less from the same place as the above

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.6635534,-8.592236,3a,75y,208.25h,86.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBw5mNuQXJosWuxSBgWHgIw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Wasteland, it was levelled 10-15 years ago. Here's more or less from the same place as the above

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.6635534,-8.592236,3a,75y,208.25h,86.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBw5mNuQXJosWuxSBgWHgIw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Ah, I have you now. Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It wasn't fully bypassed. It got slip roads from and onto the new road. They're visible in the photo source posted.

I remember it well. I was working nearby at the time and used to fill up there. Actually they used to fill the car for you. Back in the day when £20 used to fill the car and last me nearly a week!

It wasn't fully bypassed. It got slip roads from and onto the new road. They're visible in the photo source posted.

Initially it was, from what I recall. Either way, you could only get to it from one direction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

There was a carpet shop with a big sign- Carpeteria or something opposite it also. Random question - I went to UL in the 90s and there was a niteclub in the Parkway SC called The Park that we often used to go to - what happened to that space? - did it become more shops as I assume there hasn't been a pub/disco there in years?

We used to stay in the Stables and Hurlers for drinking but I remember the following clubs (or dishcos as we used to call them) we used to go to as students: I'd say most of them are long gone!

The Park
    Kilmurry
    Saints and Scholars
    Costellos
    Two Mile Inn
    George (hotel)
    Glentworth
    Teds
    Henry Cecil
    I'm sure there were one or two more too...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

ongarboy wrote: »
    There was a carpet shop with a big sign- Carpeteria or something opposite it also. Random question - I went to UL in the 90s and there was a niteclub in the Parkway SC called The Park that we often used to go to - what happened to that space? - did it become more shops as I assume there hasn't been a pub/disco there in years?

There was a Carpet shop further down the Dublin road(where Travelodge is now) but cannot remember the name.

The niteclub was on the side of the parkway where there was also a bar but that then became an Adult education place or something like that. Definitely a bar don't remember it being a niteclub but was only ever in there once.

I remember it being a bar (The Park bar) in the late 90s/early noughties. I don't remember the nightclub myself, but it was called The New Yorker, back in the 80s, maybe into the early 90s.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

We used to stay in the Stables and Hurlers for drinking but I remember the following clubs (or dishcos as we used to call them) we used to go to as students: I'd say most of them are long gone!

The Park
    Kilmurry
    Saints and Scholars
    Costellos
    Two Mile Inn
    George (hotel)
    Glentworth
    Teds
    Henry Cecil

Costellos is still going. I'm not sure if the Kilmurry nightclub is still going, but the bar is. Teds after being closed for years is now 101. The rest are long gone (and show your age ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

I remember it being a bar (The Park bar) in the late 90s/early noughties. I don't remember the nightclub myself, but it was called The New Yorker, back in the 80s, maybe into the early 90s.

The Cairo

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

Its a pity that the thread is not about businesses opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

The Park
    Kilmurry
    Saints and Scholars
    Costellos
    Two Mile Inn
    George (hotel)
    Glentworth
    Teds
    Henry Cecil

I believe the 2 Euro Shop in the Parkway took some of the ground floor of the former bar to extend their own floor space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Berty wrote:
    There was a Carpet shop further down the Dublin road(where Travelodge is now) but cannot remember the name.

I remember that it was a furniture shop also run by a German guy they moved to Eastway not sure if they are still open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

kilburn wrote: »
    I remember that it was a furniture shop also run by a German guy they moved to Eastway not sure if they are still open

Oaklands, I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Berty wrote: »
    Around then service stations were only beginning to become full service shops rather than just fuel and odds and ends only.

I don't remember the station but I do remember when it was a T Junction with traffic lights where the Dublin road meets the Childers road though.

l
    I remember getting petrol in there.

What year did that junction change?

Sorry for the off topic.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

Back on topic, Sullivan's pharmacy opened last week behind paint shop as you turn off old Dublin Rd down to Rhebogue, they reduced the size of closed soft play centre behind, which also how looks like work underway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I remember Carpeteria. It had almost Coca Cola like writing. Closed down over 10 years ago.

Oaklands furniture burned down in 2003 and reopened in the Eastway Business Park, it moved back to its former premises a number of years back but closed down shortly afterwards. Does anyone remember the giant armchair at the entrance or the waterbed on the first floor?

The new road layout opened in 2002 around the same time that the Parkway Retail Park opened. That was the beginning of the end for Dillons who struggled when they lost a lot of their passing trade. There was talk of them rotating the shop so that it faced the new road but in the end they just opened a new entrance which allowed access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

kilburn wrote: »

Was that the Dutch furniture shop, run by a guy called Ryaner.

The parkway was a very big nightclub in the 90s. 3 or 4 different rooms in it. Was the Cairo after that which was a dance music place u think.

Remember getting buses from the stables to the parkway, the two mile Inn was called poldarks if I remember rightly for UL gigs.

There was one in the greenhills for years as well called club marche.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

There's working going on in the unit beside the Underdog on Thomas St. today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    There's working going on in the unit beside the Underdog on Thomas St. today.

M&S Simply Food

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

nando's ?

Advertisement