Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

banie01 wrote: »
    You were the one who jumped in to assure us BP wasn't being racist before she confirmed it herself??

The thread is for discussing business openings around Limerick, not the ethnic origins of the owners or digs at same.

Stating that there a lot of kebab shops run by *insert country name here* isn't racist. We all know what BigPink is talking about, it's no different to complaining about Coffee Shops.

For what it's worth they do bring something to the city, I love kebabs and cheap pizza but there are an awful lot of these places popping up and they literally all have the same food.

Good to see places like Turkmen which go out of their way to be a little different.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Kilboor wrote: »
    Poster about the kebab shops is dead right, sure it's a new business open but it's literally the same food that's in all the other "pizza planet" "kebab stop" "speedo kebab" "Pizza Delicious" places.

They're essentially franchises all same suppliers, pizza tastes the EXACT same in each place. The buildings are often run down inside too.

All that said I will no doubt be trying this place some night....

They are also regularly shut down by the health board and reopened under "new" owners

Mc Love wrote: »
    They are also regularly shut down by the health board and reopened under "new" owners

FSAI do a great job in this country. But yes it's probably down to the amount of these places, and low margins which means less money to clean and buy proper equipment , as well as cheap rent which leads to less efficient clean buildings etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

FSAI do a great job in this country. But yes it's probably down to the amount of these places, low margins which means less money to clean and buy proper equipment , as well as rent efficient clean buildings too.

New business idea!!

Someone should open a kebab shop that sells edible kebabs.

New business idea!!

Someone should open a kebab shop that sells edible kebabs.

Must try Turkmen grill, their menu looked original compared to other places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Stating that there a lot of kebab shops run by *insert country name here* isn't racist. We all know what BigPink is talking about, it's no different to complaining about Coffee Shops.

Then why no constant harping about the ethnic origin of Coffee Shop owners?
    Or Milkshake shack owners? Vape shop owners? Or any of the other multiplicity of copycat businesses?

The low entry bar for the kebab trade in terms of cost is a stick to beat immigrants with now?

Aside from the FSAI's efforts at food safety, Limerick is still small a dodgy kebab becomes common knowledge fairly quick and will kill demand as quickly as a closure order.

Still I bet all those greasy Italian chipper owners and other EU style food places are glad they are "EU" nationals now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

BP is a long time poster in this forum and from what I have seen over the years sometimes struggles to get their point across accurately so I gave poster benefit of the doubt.

Posters shouldn't be suggesting people get banned either that's back seat modding and bad form in general.

kilburn wrote: »
    BP is a long time poster in this forum and from what I have seen over the years sometimes struggles to get their point across accurately so I gave poster benefit of the doubt.

Yep she is, but TBH I've given that benefit plenty of times.
    Yet IMO I honestly find the same digs being made over and over, eventually it can't all be a case of not what she meant.

Apologies btw if my earlier post came across as a dig at you directly.

Or Milkshake shack owners? Vape shop owners? Or any of the other multiplicity of copycat businesses?

The low entry bar for the kebab trade in terms of cost is a stick to beat immigrants with now?

Aside from the FSAI's efforts at food safety, Limerick is still small a dodgy kebab becomes common knowledge fairly quick and will kill demand as quickly as a closure order.

Still I bet all those greasy Italian chipper owners and other EU style food places are glad they are "EU" nationals now ;)
    There are also a pile of ****ty pizza shops selling god awful food.

"Constant harping on" one post? Lmao they said the businesses are owned by people from those places, I personally wouldn't have said it but it's not racist, it's factual and the food there is all the same for the vast vast majority of the places so the poster is completely entitled to their opinion and to further their description of the types of places by saying the ethnicity of the poeple who own and work there. They're all halal so it's appropriate to describe the country of origins, coffee shops aren't halal and hire foreigners and irish people alike. These places are run and owned by people from the places BigPink stated.

I think you need to stop looking to be outraged. They're not asking them to sit at the back of the bus, they're stating that there are a lot of these places.

I have no idea if food closures and reopens does affect demand, most people order off Just Eat and haven't a clue. Regardless an awful high number of these places do close down due to FSAI likely due to the reasons I stated.

There's probably 5 Italian chippers in Limerick and there is variety in each one. There's a big difference between fresh cut chips and chips, and old frozen kebab meat with starchy rice frozen chips.

Keep taking offence though that'll help everyone!

• Advertisement

"Constant harping on" one post? Lmao they said the businesses are owned by people from those places, I personally wouldn't have said it but it's not racist, it's factual and the food there is all the same for the vast vast majority of the places so the poster is completely entitled to their opinion and to further their description of the types of places by saying the ethnicity of the poeple who own and work there. They're all halal so it's appropriate to describe the country of origins, coffee shops aren't halal and hire foreigners and irish people alike. These places are run and owned by people from the places BigPink stated.

I think you need to stop looking to be outraged. They're not asking them to sit at the back of the bus, they're stating that there are a lot of these places.

I have no idea if food closures and reopens does affect demand, most people order off Just Eat and haven't a clue. Regardless an awful high number of these places do close down due to FSAI likely due to the reasons I stated.

There's probably 5 Italian chippers in Limerick and there is variety in each one. There's a big difference between fresh cut chips and chips, and old frozen kebab meat with starchy rice frozen chips.

Keep taking offence though that'll help everyone!

It's not one post, it's a common and continuing theme over years with that particular poster.
    Context matters.

There are also a pile of ****ty pizza shops selling god awful food.

So hard to find good proper pizza, I like Rios and McAris up in Castletroy.

It's not one post, it's a common and continuing theme over years with that particular poster.
    Context matters.

I've no idea about a posters history, all I saw was the topic at hand and I agreed with them. Fair enough if they're a blatant open racist, I would see your PoV differently.

I've no idea about a posters history, all I saw was the topic at hand and I agreed with them. Fair enough if they're a blatant open racist, I would see your PoV differently.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call anyone a blatant and open racist without actually talking to them IRL.

I do feel that the continued subtext and tone of that particular posters posts over quite a long time justified my asking them what they meant by an earlier post.

That they followed up with countries of origin and "non-eu" whilst not mentioning even quality of output is to my mind at least, confirmation that the years of them being given the benefit of the doubt by many posters in the Limerick forum, was just accepting what is fairly plainly casual racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Lads I've brought up this before about some of these kebab shops and dealing with them in a business sense. They are the only customers which HAVE to be charged cash on delivery, no credit. Ever. When you do go into to do work, it is constant hassle, being surrounded by several lads watching and generally trying to intimidate so they can either knock you down on price or they simply don't have to pay. Their kitchens are often filthy, think a kebab rotisserie sitting in an empty sink used for washing dirty ware all day until they open and fire it back up on the warmer. I've been accused racism before about but please will ye wake up and stop being so naive. Many, not all, of these kebab shops are laundries and not a scrap of tax is paid. How can they all make money when there is so bloody many of them? I've nothing against Pakistanis but I can assure you going into an Indian, Polish, Chinese Irish or any other ethnic kitchen is a wholly different experience. An Indian or Chinese restaurant will have you paid nearly before you arrive, a kebab shop will break you up so much that we refuse to do work for them. Not racist, fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I'm mad to try the Turkmen grill now on all the recommendations

Is it clean?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

mitresize5 wrote: »
    I'm mad to try the Turkmen grill now on all the recommendations

Is it clean?

It is and the Lamb Qabuli pilau is the bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

bigpink wrote: »
    And? Are the non EU people not entitled to try their hand at a business or pursue a chance of success?

What is your actual point?

My point is Limerick is full of dodgy kebab shops run by Indian Pakistani Turk Afghani etc they do not bring anything to the city

As I mentioned Turkman grill isn't a kebab shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

An Indian or Chinese restaurant will have you paid nearly before you arrive, a kebab shop will break you up so much that we refuse to do work for them. Not racist, fact.

you needn't go into specifics...but in what way do you deal with them? deliveries? supplies?

fryup wrote: »
    you needn't go into specifics...but in what way do you deal with them? deliveries? supplies?

Shh,,, they are all washing money

• Advertisement

Lads I've brought up this before about some of these kebab shops and dealing with them in a business sense. They are the only customers which HAVE to be charged cash on delivery, no credit. Ever. When you do go into to do work, it is constant hassle, being surrounded by several lads watching and generally trying to intimidate so they can either knock you down on price or they simply don't have to pay. Their kitchens are often filthy, think a kebab rotisserie sitting in an empty sink used for washing dirty ware all day until they open and fire it back up on the warmer. I've been accused racism before about but please will ye wake up and stop being so naive. Many, not all, of these kebab shops are laundries and not a scrap of tax is paid. How can they all make money when there is so bloody many of them? I've nothing against Pakistanis but I can assure you going into an Indian, Polish, Chinese Irish or any other ethnic kitchen is a wholly different experience. An Indian or Chinese restaurant will have you paid nearly before you arrive, a kebab shop will break you up so much that we refuse to do work for them. Not racist, fact.

Don't doubt what you say, but any you would recommend?

fryup wrote: »

Waste disposal specific to restaurants and commercial outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jjoconoor

Waste disposal specific to restaurants and commercial outlets.

Also working in town with a shared building, I know of one restaurant that has no regard for what you do. In fact caught them red handed today filtering grease through

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

I've noticed they've sectioned off the buildings to commence work for the proposed rugby museum on O'Connell Street . I can't understand why the demolition of a number of Georgian buildings was approved - Are they not protected structures? Surely they could incorporate the museum into the current structures as the design for the new building has no character and does not blend in with the streetscape.

Take the AIB building and the George hotel across the street as examples which were once ornate Georgian buildings that are now gone and replaced with the soulless ugly blocks that stand today. The same can be said for the Pennys building, Brown Thomas, Bank of Ireland, Cruises street which was Cruises Hotel - once ornate landmarks in the city centre but now ugly eyesores.

Limerick has the most extensive Georgian architecture outside of Dublin in Ireland that should be protected and maintained - it's disappointing to see it being chipped away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I've noticed they've sectioned off the buildings to commence work for the proposed rugby museum on O'Connell Street . I can't understand why the demolition of a number of Georgian buildings was approved - Are they not protected structures? Surely they could incorporate the museum into the current structures as the design for the new building has no character and does not blend in with the street scape.
    Take the AIB building and the George hotel across the street as examples which were once ornate buildings that are now gone and replaced with the soulless ugly blocks that stand today. The same can be said for the Pennys building, Brown Thomas - once ornate landmarks in the city centre but now ugly eyesores.

Limerick has the most extensive Georgian architecture outside of Dublin in Ireland that should be protected and maintained - it's disappointing to see it being chipped away.

Thought they were protected my self?
    Isn’t that always said a cause for no development in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

They bring delicious kebabs. What more do you want?

Do you expect every business opening to bring something to the city? What exactly should they bring???

He should have got planning permission to start with. Applying for retention now.

jjoconoor wrote: »
    Also working in town with a shared building, I know of one restaurant that has no regard for what you do. In fact caught them red handed today filtering grease through

Report them to the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Lidl planning to build new store in Westbury.

https://www.live95fm.ie/news/lidl-plan-to-build-in-westbury/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Not a business opening per se, as it's been open a while, but O'Connors butchers on William St. revealed their renovations today. Really nice job on the shop front, and building in general. Hopefully all other shop owners on William St. will be inspired to follow suit!

• Advertisement

Did Gino Gelatos open in the crescent yet??

Advertisement