Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

It’s great for the street but let’s not it become all artisan etc
    Keep some Limerick character don’t rip off the tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

It's a great boost to Nicholas street, I hope they make a success of it and others follow.

I’m sure another brewery or distillery will open too big business these days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

What inane points you're trying to make bigpink. Who's pushing out who, exactly? The brewery pushing out nobody in particular from a previously disused building? Or is it the punters? Nicholas Street is dead the vast majority of the time (same could be said for swathes of the city), it needs a few focal points like this to draw footfall, to encourage other businesses to set up.

I work in the alcohol trade in Dublin and the majority of people who buy 'craft' beer are in fact middle aged. They're not hipsters, just regular people (taxi drivers, accountants, teachers, bus drivers, bar managers, office workers would describe some of my best customers) who've worked for a while and accumulated a bit of cash to spend on something other than cans of industrial lager or Guinness that's far removed from what it used to be. Limerick in particular has been the slowest of the major cities for craft beer penetration. You have 99% of the bars offering the regular fare if that's what you're interested in, give a chance to the lads trying to bring something a little different to the city. God forbid anyone in Limerick do anything 'different'.

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »
    Not a dig just an opinion do we want to push out local people?
    It’s more in jest I said hipster you know the stereotypes
    Good solid local business maybe even an independent street no chains

It was a dig. Sugar coat it all you want

It was a dig. Sugar coat it all you want

Nobody wants it to become an overpriced area either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

There is a snobbery to craft beer you not find?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Not a dig just an opinion do we want to push out local people?
    It’s more in jest I said hipster you know the stereotypes
    Good solid local business maybe even an independent street no chains

So basically pubs offering up ****e pints of Heineken, Bud and Guinness are OK but these lads aren't?

So basically pubs offering up ****e pints of Heineken, Bud and Guinness are OK but these lads aren't?

I’d love to see Nicolas street as a independent business street
    Keep some local character which Limerick is known for
    Don’t become like Temple bar or an overpriced trendy area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

My understanding is it's on the site of a previous brewery and is "experiental"

Should help Treaceys and Stix with more footfall.

I always felt Nicholas street should be like the streets you find on the continent in old towns.

Shops that sell medieval themed items coats of armour, replica weapons (not to some locals) etc

King Johns should be filling that gap but dont

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Nicholas Street is seasonal also a lot of people would not set up a business there as the footfall is both low and of a lower demographic type that would have disposable income.

I don't even like walking through the area myself, brought the boss to Katie Daly's, over from the US, got from the car to the door and was tapped for cigarettes by somebody.

I did visit King John's when there was a concert on and the vibe there and by Katie Daly's was great but every other day the areas not appealing.

I wish the brewery the best, I will try and visit soon. They will likely also eventually also offer other types of beers because other craft bars, who make their own also, also because they don't want to appeal to 10% of a group of friends whilst alienating the rest of the group who then want to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There is a snobbery to craft beer you not find?

Not in the least bit, sure its priced at a higher margin but thats what you get when you get quality ingredients and not highly manufactured like Heineken or Tuborg and the like.
    I’d love to see Nicolas street as a independent business street
    Keep some local character which Limerick is known for
    Don’t become like Temple bar or an overpriced trendy area

Treaty City brewing is an independent business street. God forbid if Starbucks open. It should be full of cafes & shops.
    Berty wrote: »
    Nicholas Street is seasonal also a lot of people would not set up a business there as the footfall is both low and of a lower demographic type that would have disposable income.

I don't even like walking through the area myself, brought the boss to Katie Daly's, over from the US, got from the car to the door and was tapped for cigarettes by somebody.

I did visit King John's when there was a concert on and the vibe there and by Katie Daly's was great but every other day the areas not appealing.

I wish the brewery the best, I will try and visit soon. They will likely also eventually also offer other types of beers because other craft bars, who make their own also, also because they don't want to appeal to 10% of a group of friends whilst alienating the rest of the group who then want to leave.

Sure the area's off Nicholas St arent the best on one side, but its not that bad and I'd have no problem walking through it and in fact many tourists seem to have no problem either. There is a rogue element of scrotes whether passing through or from the area that have caused damage to a friends car (twice) and have come from the Cauldron.

Hopefully the likes of the brewery will bring more footfall to the area that would entice shoppers.

kilburn wrote: »
    My understanding is it's on the site of a previous brewery and is "experiental"

Should help Treaceys and Stix with more footfall.

I always felt Nicholas street should be like the streets you find on the continent in old towns.

Shops that sell medieval themed items coats of armour, replica weapons (not to some locals) etc

King Johns should be filling that gap but dont

I hope Stix doesn’t change

Mc Love wrote: »
    Not in the least bit, sure its priced at a higher margin but thats what you get when you get quality ingredients and not highly manufactured like Heineken or Tuborg and the like.

Treaty City brewing is an independent business street. God forbid if Starbucks open. It should be full of cafes & shops.

Sure the area's off Nicholas St arent the best on one side, but its not that bad and I'd have no problem walking through it and in fact many tourists seem to have no problem either. There is a rogue element of scrotes whether passing through or from the area that have caused damage to a friends car (twice) and have come from the Cauldron.

Hopefully the likes of the brewery will bring more footfall to the area that would entice shoppers.

Twice?Where were they parked?Youngsters or adults

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Last year was the first year that more breweries closed than opened. This was the case in Ireland as well as the UK, and in Canada 2 years ago. The craft beer fad is over. There is no more space at the top, but regional breweries like treaty may well survive or even flourish serving their city/region.

As for distilleries. There are no micro distilleries in Ireland, the Victorian era laws prevent it. The gin market is oversatureted but there is still demand for Irish whiskey, which unfortunately takes a minimum of 4 years to make. Simply put, there is no limerick distillery and likely never will be.

It’s a shame there aren’t more craft options in limerick, county or city. So support your local brewer or there may be none altogether. Also, support the non drinks craft in limerick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Treaty City Lager is class. An absolute boon for those of us who don't enjoy pale ales but don't want to drink the normal Carlsberg, Heineken or Bud piss water.

Twice?Where were they parked?Youngsters or adults

St. Peter St. - the vandals were left out of the cauldron with bottles and damaged one of their vehicles.
    mdmix wrote: »
    As for distilleries. There are no micro distilleries in Ireland, the Victorian era laws prevent it. The gin market is oversatureted but there is still demand for Irish whiskey, which unfortunately takes a minimum of 4 years to make. Simply put, there is no limerick distillery and likely never will be.

Afaik there's one in Dingle (Dingle Distillery) and one in Dublin (Teeling) - both were using a Scotch whiskey until their own whiskey could be bottled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I guess the city centre is no longer a place one goes to shop or 'get ' anything. It's really a place to stroll around and maybe have a latte and make use of the free WiFi.

I guess the city centre is no longer a place one goes to shop or 'get ' anything. It's really a place to stroll around and maybe have a latte and make use of the free WiFi.

I'd say a good portion of the people in the Crescent are doing the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Mc Love wrote: »
    Afaik there's one in Dingle (Dingle Distillery) and one in Dublin (Teeling) - both were using a Scotch whiskey until their own whiskey could be bottled.

You are right about these, but they are not micro distilleries. There are a few others that opened over the last few years. The Irish laws are very complicated and we’re designed specifically to stop smaller distilleries from opening. Distilling at a small scale is illegal, as there are minimum pot still sizes that need to be adhered to, which means a higher upfront investment.

https://www.abfi.ie/Sectors/ABFI/ABFI.nsf/vPagesWhiskey/Members'_area~revenue-requirements-for-setting-up-a-distillery!OpenDocument

Distillers like dingle got in at the right time and we’re able to produce and sell gin while they waited for their whiskey to mature. Those days are gone as there is so much competition at every price point in the gin market. If a new distiller opened now, they would likely have to pay huge sums upfront and not be able to earn anything for 4 years. Diagio is the latest entrant to the whiskey market and will be opening a distillery near st James gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

Nobody wants it to become an overpriced area either

I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 walt whitman

bit off topic here but apache pizza is going into the old Rios unit on the Ennis road. work going on at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

bit off topic here but apache pizza is going into the old Rios unit on the Ennis road. work going on at the moment

What happened to Rios?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

mrsoundie wrote: »
    What happened to Rios?

Closed both of their take aways in town and there

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

sioda wrote: »
    Closed both of their take aways in town and there

The one in castletroy is called senor Rios now. Has it changed hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

toodleytoo wrote: »
    The one in castletroy is called senor Rios now. Has it changed hands?
    Don't think so as have seen the Rios bike outside cobblestones the Ryan's own both

A lot of rumors going around

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

A lot of rumors going around

Elvis?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Very suspicious alright when a business closes down two of its premises and adds "Senor" to name of the last remaining one.

Advertisement