Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Is that the last Cafe Noir closed so? Their Castletroy outlet was taken over by something else last year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

pigtown wrote: »
    Is that the last Cafe Noir closed so? Their Castletroy outlet was taken over by something else last year
    God, a grand place to eat but the service was tragic. I felt sorry for the girls who were working there. 2 or 3 of them having to dish the food, deal with orders at the counter, take payments, clean tables, it was an absolute sh!tshow from management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

The food in their Tralee outfit has taken a severe nosedive lately. I hope they are better up here.

Really, was there a couple of weeks ago. Still thought it was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The food in their Tralee outfit has taken a severe nosedive lately. I hope they are better up here.

I've been there consistently over the years and the food has always been top notch. Care to elaborate on what actually nose dived?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

ongarboy wrote: »
    I've been there consistently over the years and the food has always been top notch. Care to elaborate on what actually nose dived?

Quality of ingredients is the biggest one. Care and attention in presentation. I am speaking from experience and the experience of family who go there regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The new Texaco at the parkway roundabout looks to be open

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

• Registered Users Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Glenomra wrote: »
    Why not.

Probably going off this part, "It is understood that planning will be submitted in the Arthur's Quay area for a "new build" in compliance with the Limerick 2030 master plan."

Probably more chance of the monorail actually being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

As good as confirmed in the Times. The leader ran the story last night knowing that The Times would be publishing something today.
    https://t.co/tMaV9hXUbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Oh dear I hope they are more creative and imaginative than the current monstrosity they built in the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Jaysus aruthurs quay is late 80's fack..... me da worked on it when it was being built

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

As good as confirmed in the Times. The leader ran the story last night knowing that The Times would be publishing something today.
    https://t.co/tMaV9hXUbL

The Leader ran the story last night because Thursday is their paper day. Most of their stories get published online on a Wednesday night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Tefral

Why not.

It actually will, I guy I deal with has been working away on some of the stuff in the whole area for nearly a year at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

So is the current Arthurs Quay shopping centre to be demolished and rebuilt? Why are we hearing about tenants before we see plans?

The big failing of the current Arthurs Quay sc is that half of it, is a car park. If they go down that route again, its doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Terms of agreement have been signed so it seems official legally this time. I know there has been so much crying wolf over M&S that people are understandably skeptical but I think this is great news that they've located in the middle of the city centre. While there was much disappointment that they were rejected for the Crescent and that the Parkway Mall never materialized, this is the best possible outcome as the doughnut effect that has damaged Limerick so badly has been halted significantly by this development. Other major retailers will be drawn by the this shopping centre having a major anchor like M&S.

They're saying 2022 completion date. If this, the UL city campus Sarsfield site and Opera site start coming together, we'll see a dramatically changed city centre in less than 5 years time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The Leader ran the story last night because Thursday is their paper day. Most of their stories get published online on a Wednesday night

That not correct. They tweet their headline stories on a Wednesday, but the don't go online until Thursday night or Friday. A recent example was the 'delay' to the Opera development. 'Buy the paper tomorrow to find out more' is how they end their preview tweets.

This was definitely published early online to beat the Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

That not correct. They tweet their headline stories on a Wednesday, but the don't go online until Thursday night or Friday. A recent example was the 'delay' to the Opera development. 'Buy the paper tomorrow to find out more' is how they end their preview tweets.

As a matter of interest why is the immediate response in limerick to any new proposal 'it will never happen '. It happened with the garden site, the rugby centre, etc etc. I don't see a similar negativity from any other city in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

As a matter of interest why is the immediate response in limerick to any new proposal 'it will never happen '. It happened with the garden site, the rugby centre, etc etc. I don't see a similar negativity from any other city in Ireland.

So many false starts with projects down through the years has led to a considerable level of cynicism for any large projects announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

"A key aspect of the development is that it will bring the city and river together in a way that has not been done before. For decades Limerick has been accused of turning its back on its prime asset, the River Shannon. This project will redress this imbalance"

That's a promising quote. If they faced the new development towards the river, along with the Dunnes/UL site it could be quite transformative for a part of town with great potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

A morning of news so far. Whatever about M&S, the proposed €60 million development of Arthur's Quay is huge. Couple that to the Ryder Cup rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

So why was the story on Sli na Manach published last night too then? In fact, looking at their website, all the news is from today's paper... https://www.limerickleader.ie/

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

A morning of news so far. Whatever about M&S, the proposed €60 million development of Arthur's Quay is huge. Couple that to the Ryder Cup rumours.

Rumours no more, it's been officially announced that the Ryder Cup is coming to Adare in 2026 (separate thread on this). However, I'm interested in this Arthurs Quay redevelopment - are there any details on this, or is it just in the proposal stage? How has it managed to fly under the radar until this M&S announcement, seems a bit strange. Maybe they wanted a big profile anchor tennant secured before they announced the redevelopment?

So why was the story on Sli na Manach published last night too then? In fact, looking at their website, all the news is from today's paper... https://www.limerickleader.ie/

:rolleyes:

Look at their front page and find those stories online. They won't be until tonight/tomorrow. They don't put their big stories up the night before. They want you to buy the paper. I know because I don't buy the paper and always have to wait for the online article.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

So are we losing the park or is Arthur's Quay mall being knocked and we lose Tesco

sioda wrote: »
    So are we losing the park or is Arthur's Quay mall being knocked and we lose Tesco

Nobody knows yet. I can't see how they can build on the only city center public space and then claim to be turning the face of the city towards the river though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Going by the masterplan for 2030, which I presume this is being discussed under. The plan was to decrease the size of the park, making it a more linear park along the riverfront, reworking of the road infrastructure and increasing the public realm around the buildings being built. And bringing Sarsfield house site into the park to replace the area lost in construction.

486254.jpg

Edit: I'd quite happily lose a portion of the concrete heavy park that's currently there for a better laid out, greener space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

great news and hope it all goes well , i wonder are they keeping Georgian fronts on the patrick st side of the build, i hope so.

The park in general isn't a bad space once you are in it and is used quiet a bit by everyone to some extent as well as the youth !It has improved a lot over the years especially since they took down the rails.my main concern is the disconnect from the city it always had and hopefully the design addresses that. I would rather the traffic be re-reouted to patrick st or something (probably not feasible) or some other clever idea too bridge the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Tefral

sioda wrote: »

You are going to lose a chunk of the park, but theres a massive square plaza going into opera centre just behind ellen street.

Theres significant external interest in quinns pub too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

The 2030 “master” plan was a joke. The small section screenshot above removed hundreds of car parking spaces, a busy bus stop for private companies, a civic space used for river fest, ice ring and several other festivals, without proposing alternatives.

Hopefully the limerick transport strategy comes out soon. It might add a bit of context to what is possible.

Advertisement