Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What's this got to do with Limerick Business Opening?

Nothing.
    But everything to do with Limerick business staying open.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Nothing.
    But everything to do with Limerick business staying open.

A cafe in an industrial estate isn't exactly a good example of cafes in Limerick. It's the only place for miles to get something quick so they can get away with charging higher prices. Simple supply and demand. There is plenty of competition in the city.

And if their prices did shut them down then they'd be in the Limerick Businesses Closing thread rather than this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

What cafe is in the industrial estate in Annacotty ?

A cafe in an industrial estate isn't exactly a good example of cafes in Limerick. It's the only place for miles to get something quick so they can get away with charging higher prices. Simple supply and demand. There is plenty of competition in the city.

And if their prices did shut them down then they'd be in the Limerick Businesses Closing thread rather than this one.

If you run a business on the basis of 'getting away with charging higher prices' then you won't last long regardless of supply and demand. I wasn't giving it as an example of cafes in Limerick I gave it as an example of pricing yourself out of business.

dashoonage wrote: »
    What cafe is in the industrial estate in Annacotty ?

On the left hand side, it's the only cafe in the estate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If you run a business on the basis of 'getting away with charging higher prices' then you won't last long regardless of supply and demand. I wasn't giving it as an example of cafes in Limerick I gave it as an example of pricing yourself out of business.

They're still open and trading, so they haven't priced themselves out of business. And I still have no idea why this is in the business opening thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

The Buttery are opening in Browsers on Upper William Street

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

You're not really proving any point here. You can actually over charge and last if you are the only choice in a location. Where else can local custom go for a quick sandwich if they are in a hurry? They'll pay the extra euro or two for convenience rather than drive a few kms for something cheaper. It's how most monopolies survive and thrive! If there is competition however, yes they can be under threat but that is not the case here!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jjoconoor

pigtown wrote: »

Was mentioned good while back

Will be interesting to see if the business is up there to sustain two lnew locations. From memory H&L are also up there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

pigtown wrote: »

So what's happening to browsers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

davo2001 wrote: »
    So what's happening to browsers?
    Still there, Buttery are opening a cafe in their premises

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Not Limerick, but Birdhill's Old Barracks Coffee Roastery is opening a store in Nenagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Not Limerick, but Birdhill's Old Barracks Coffee Roastery is opening a store in Nenagh.

Cheers - do you know where/when?

Cartman78 wrote: »
    No but it won't be long I'd imagine. Announced it on their Instagram page last night.

The Birdhill place is booming.

ongarboy wrote: »
    You're not really proving any point here. You can actually over charge and last if you are the only choice in a location. Where else can local custom go for a quick sandwich if they are in a hurry? They'll pay the extra euro or two for convenience rather than drive a few kms for something cheaper. It's how most monopolies survive and thrive! If there is competition however, yes they can be under threat but that is not the case here!

Not that I was trying to prove anything but cafes like this don't survive on selling tea & coffee only but when the punter sees the prices for tea and coffee they usually get the coffee and scarper. Straight away you wouldn't even look to see what's being charged for breakfasts etc if a cookie is €2.50!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Not that I was trying to prove anything but cafes like this don't survive on selling tea & coffee only but when the punter sees the prices for tea and coffee they usually get the coffee and scarper. Straight away you wouldn't even look to see what's being charged for breakfasts etc if a cookie is €2.50!

jesus man, can you let it go, you made your point. its a Limerick Businesses Opening thread. go onto the random waffle thread or definitive limerick restaurant thread.

damowill wrote: »
    jesus man, can you let it go, you made your point. its a Limerick Businesses Opening thread. go onto the random waffle thread or definitive limerick restaurant thread.

I'm just responding to a post, relax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

We were in browsers recently, admitidley during their revamp but I've never encountered such rude staff in my life. Wouldn't be in a hurry back there, buttery or not.

That coffee place in birdhill is nice but their prices for coffee beans are ridiculously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

No but it won't be long I'd imagine. Announced it on their Instagram page last night.

The Birdhill place is booming.
    Great spot. If only they would open in Limerick. Regardless, the drive out there to Birdhill is always worth it imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Cartman78 wrote: »

Don't know when it's opening but it's located in Quentins way behind Easons in one of the units next to The Pantry Cafe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

tototoe wrote: »
    That coffee place in birdhill is nice but their prices for coffee beans are ridiculously expensive.

It's because they buy straight from the farms and give the people who grow the beans a decent price for them.

They did an interesting post a while back about how "Fairtrade" isnt very fair to the families who run the farms as they are getting much less than they should be getting and are therefore encouraged to mass produce mediocre coffee. Quality beans deserve a quality price, and they arent more much more expensive than their competitors like 3FE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

It's because they buy straight from the farms and give the people who grow the beans a decent price for them.

They did an interesting post a while back about how "Fairtrade" isnt very fair to the families who run the farms as they are getting much less than they should be getting and are therefore encouraged to mass produce mediocre coffee. Quality beans deserve a quality price, and they arent more much more expensive than their competitors like 3FE.

I understand all that and i choose my coffee carefully but 40-44eu for 500g is mad money for some of their coffees imo. Not a major fan of 3fe to be honest. I lost a lot of respect for him after the water tasting nonsense, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

tototoe wrote: »
    I understand all that and i choose my coffee carefully but 40-44eu for 500g is mad money for some of their coffees imo. Not a major fan of 3fe to be honest. I lost a lot of respect for him after the water tasting nonsense, but each to their own.

I pay about 20 quid for the 500g bags in Old Barracks. It varies from 17-25 so far but I've had about 5 varieties over the last 9 months or so and never paid more than 25 for the 500g bags

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Scott's Bar is the educated guess of a friend that just texted me.

Your friends educated guess was correct!! Central enough to not be be an issue and should clean up with Mary I across the road.

Suggesting legal issues in their Facebook update which doesn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Suggesting legal issues in their Facebook update which doesn't look good.

Most likely license transfer and other issues.
    While Scott's is a licensed premises, the transfer and continued validity of the license depends on a couple of factors.
    Indeed if the bar hasn't traded as a bar in the previous 365 days further issues on the validity of the license are introduced.

Those aren't serious or insurmountable tho, its usually a bit of paperwork and a day at the licensing court.
    The delay is likely due to the dates of the next sitting, rather than anything sinister IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

banie01 wrote: »
    Most likely license transfer and other issues.

Just had a look at Revenue.ie's list of licensed premises and nothing is listed for the address at Courtbrack Ave.

The local licensing sittings are on the @27th of Sept if memory serves and a notice of application needs to be put in the paper 21 days prior to the application hearing, I've not seen any notice that I can recall.

So if I had to guess at what might delay the opening.
    Boils down to poor admin on the part of the License owner in seemingly letting it lapse, along with some procedural errors and delays in getting the license transfer application and sundries sorted.

Nothing that won't be overcome by an understanding judge and sure not that I'd condone any "criminal" behaviour but the number of bars that trade with lapsed licenses is shocking ;)

Other thing that may cause an issue, and again is nothing to do with the new owners is if any commercial rates are outstanding on the property.
    Those stay with the building rather than the company/owner/operator and if the license was allowed lapse I'd wonder how up to speed whomever was administering Scott's whilst it was shuttered is and whether they stayed on top of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭wildrover444

I see grove bar in corbally is to be relaunched as ark tavern. People who run the cauldron bar are doing it. That's a blast from the past. It's on the cauldron bar Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I see grove bar in corbally is to be relaunched as ark tavern. People who run the cauldron bar are doing it. That's a blast from the past. It's on the cauldron bar Facebook page.

People that run the cauldron already run the grove as far as I know. Along with the north star, launch bar and think somebody said some pub as you're heading out towards Broadford Co. Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Owen

One man is running the cauldron,the launch and kilmore heights ,
    Ahis brother has the North Star and the grove .
    The cauldron and the launch are very busy as is the North Star.
    The other 2 are not .

Advertisement