Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

L-M wrote: »
    Presume Crokers In Murroe
    I'd be surprised if it's kept as a bar. I would say apartments and maybe a cafe downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What will Pierse Motors be selling in limerick?

Isn’t Screwfix going into where Wickes was?

This is the unit closest to Lyons, it’s actually full now. They’re on Carsireland as of today and it seems to be lots of heavy 181 and 191 Vws, some Mercs and basically the non franchise some they probably have no market for in the bustling metropolis that is Tipperary town.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sure the likes of Hinchy's rotate stock between their Garryspillane and Ennis Road garages all the time. Dan Dooley does it too between Knocklong and Tipp town. I'd doubt they will be sending cars in every day but how much would a transporter say once a week cost them to move stock? I'd say they will probably sell the rougher ex hire stuff there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Eire-Dearg wrote:
    I'd be surprised if it's kept as a bar. I would say apartments and maybe a cafe downstairs.

The receiver recently applied to renew the alcohol licence for Crookers so maybe it is reopening as a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What’s after happening with the Arcade place?

Licensing issues or something or they actually realised it’s an absolute non-runner for a city like Limerick?

Or is it still gonna open!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

There is already a business called Barcade. Are they going to be a franchise of this or just using the same name? They might be having issues with that possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

They changed the name to level up bar arcade a couple of months back

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Someone said yesterday their kick start campaign didn’t bring in as much money as they thought. Apparently still opening but just slightly delayed on funds.

Coqbull Castletroy is opening this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭goochy

Anyone else think Lyons Jaguar land rover showroom is the worst positioned showroom ever ? they spend good money on showroom but build it right on top of Ford showroom and also because of this have no forecourt for JLR vehicles so they are mixed in with Ford - dont know how JLR irl agreed to it.

why didnt they build near the Volvo place or at rear of site - Ballysimon road ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

L-M wrote: »
    Someone said yesterday their kick start campaign didn’t bring in as much money as they thought. Apparently still opening but just slightly delayed on funds.

Coqbull Castletroy is opening this week.

The kickstarter was for the construction of a disabled ramp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Mc Love wrote: »
    The kickstarter was for the construction of a disabled ramp!

Luckily it failed!:pac:

Last thing we need is Limerick's answer to Tommy bogarting all the best machines!!!!
    Hate queueing behind those savants :P

I really hope this sarcasm warning isnt needed, but just in case

I'd actually pledged to a fairly decent level on their Kickstarter and I do think this place has potential.
    My only real concern for them is the location, in that it makes the place a "destination" rather than a waypoint.
    As a man in their likeliest biggest spending demographic, my usual and rare night out these days is 3 or 4 different spots on a trail.

There's no convenient trail from Scotts, no easily accessible/walkable spot for pre/post drinks, no accessible bus stop.
    There is a good bit of reidential close by, but relying on students when they are really only around 26weeks a year is a strategy that I hope doesnt backfire.

You can tell from the machines, the effort and the passion the people running this speak with that it is a labour of love and they believe that "If you build it, they will come"

I hope it works out for them.

I'd share the same concerns, location wise. It sounds like it'll be quite unique in this part of the country so people may travel from around about to go there, but I can't see it being a "regular" for a big market. Kind of like foot-golf, it'll be something people want to experience once, but in terms of retaining core regulars, that market might be quite small in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Gooser14 wrote: »
    The receiver recently applied to renew the alcohol licence for Crookers so maybe it is reopening as a pub.

I wouldn't read too much into that. Its only gone sale agreed, they would have renewed the licence anyway to hold onto it.

easypazz wrote: »
    I wouldn't read too much into that. Its only gone sale agreed, they would have renewed the licence anyway to hold onto it.
    I've heard locally that it has been bought with the intention of retaining the license and operating as a bar/restaurant. Apparently a business owner from the area has purchased it.

Would have been class if they were able to go in where Quinns was, would have been the perfect venue. Or even Desmond Arms/High Stool (but that would have required extensive work

Christ the high stool was some dive but it was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Christ the high stool was some dive but it was great!

Always bottles or cans. Draught was dangerous.

Temple of sound upstairs was wall to wall drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭dav09

banie01 wrote: »
    Luckily it failed!:pac:

Last thing we need is Limerick's answer to Tommy bogarting all the best machines!!!!
    Hate queueing behind those savants :P

I really hope this sarcasm warning isnt needed, but just in case

I'd actually pledged to a fairly decent level on their Kickstarter and I do think this place has potential.
    My only real concern for them is the location, in that it makes the place a "destination" rather than a waypoint.
    As a man in their likeliest biggest spending demographic, my usual and rare night out these days is 3 or 4 different spots on a trail.

There's no convenient trail from Scotts, no easily accessible/walkable spot for pre/post drinks, no accessible bus stop.
    There is a good bit of reidential close by, but relying on students when they are really only around 26weeks a year is a strategy that I hope doesnt backfire.

You can tell from the machines, the effort and the passion the people running this speak with that it is a labour of love and they believe that "If you build it, they will come"

I hope it works out for them.

Cheers guys. Kickstarter didn't work out. We thought we'd raise the funds for those issues by offering incentives/ discounts but we ended up receiving a lot of genuine abuse (not sarcastic jokes) for it and people generally didn't seem to like the idea. We got everything needed for accessibility sorted but still cost a pile even with cutting corners (building a disabled toilet, ramp, elevator). We had insurance issues which was also related to our accessibility issue so we stripped out a feature and resolved that. The cost of the accessibility issues was a drop in the ocean in contrast to the money put into the rest of the place. Also had loads of issues with tradesmen not showing up and false promises.

Machines are mostly ready to go so we're all good there, there's just been issue after issue in the place, it was mostly stripped a few years back with building work going on so it's been quite the challenge for all of us involved, there were a lot of issues hiding from us.

But on the plus side, the bar is mostly sorted, Keg room had been moved to give better pints. Insurance, planning, carpentry, tables and chairs (just have to be physically put in), Kitchen is getting there, loads more too I'm probably forgetting. We genuinely thought we would have an opening date yesterday but 2 more issues popped up, but we're almost there.

Hopefully the demand/ interest is there. City center leasing is a whole different story and combined with bar licences and suitable locations it didn't make sense for us. We wanted this to be the by far the biggest and best Arcade Bar in the country, most venues of this type aren't based centrally if you look around the UK and around the world + it's not too far from the center. We really wanted to bring a premiere venue to the city, something truly unique and to offer a different experience for people to enjoy here.

I can't remember exactly but I think it's a 6/7 euro taxi to the center, or a 9 minute walk to the nearest bus stop or about a 20 minute walk in. As for pub routes there's a couple a few minutes apart. (Fennessy's, Punches, Bobby Burns or a few routes you could take). Students in the area is only a small part of the crowd we hope to attract, the venue itself should be enough to attract a range of people as it will really be something special once it opens.

Really wish you the best of luck and cant wait to try it out

Really wish you the best of luck and cant wait to try it out

Great thanks! It won't be too much longer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Best of luck with it, quite a significant undertaking, will definitely visit when opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

dav09 wrote: »
    We got everything needed for accessibility sorted but still cost a pile even with cutting corners (building a disabled toilet, ramp, elevator).

So not only is Tommy gonna be attending, his arms won't even be tired from wheeling himself up ramps, thanks to a bloody elevator!

I dunno Dav....
    I'm not sure I'm happy about that, not sure at all ;)

Looking forwarward to paying ye a visit or 5 when ye open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭FSO_Polonez

Always bottles or cans. Draught was dangerous.

Temple of sound upstairs was wall to wall drugs.

I remember we used to call it "temple of tablets" when I lived in Limerick, eons ago. Can't really remember much else about it so it must have been good!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Popped into Coqbull in Castletroy earlier, they are still waiting on their liquor licence but otherwise pretty much fully functioning for their second day and same quality as the city centre branch.

Will be nice to have somewhere new in the area that isn't a takeaway or only open until early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Not surprised with you being let down by trades men. People complain about shops in town looking run down etc.... but we run a business in town and getting someone in to do a bit of work is like getting blood from a stone. It's absolutely impossible. So many tradesmen call, have a look, say they will be back to do it and don't bother showing up.

Hopefully the business works out for ye.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Not surprised with you being let down by trades men. People complain about shops in town looking run down etc.... but we run a business in town and getting someone in to do a bit of work is like getting blood from a stone. It's absolutely impossible. So many tradesmen call, have a look, say they will be back to do it and don't bother showing up.

Hopefully the business works out for ye.

Thanks all!

Yeah it's just one of those things, its very easy to get bogged down by these things but it is what it is. Even though it seems the vast majority probably have let us down with not showing (or continuously putting us off/ job is too big and other excuses), some good lads have came in too so we are making good progress.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

New signage gone up the former UnderDog unit on Thomas Street. Sambros - Savage Sandwiches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Loads of work vans outside Kennedy o Briens any know whats ooening?
    Also number 9 thr cresent alot of work going maybe a hotel or BnB kinda looks like
    Also building just a few doors doen from the Belltable seems to have been restored and looks lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Owen

bigpink wrote: »
    Loads of work vans outside Kennedy o Briens any know whats ooening?
    Also number 9 thr cresent alot of work going maybe a hotel or BnB kinda looks like
    Also building just a few doors doen from the Belltable seems to have been restored and looks lovely

Another bar going in there , Alfie Earls I believe it’s named .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Gary Owen wrote: »
    Another bar going in there , Alfie Earls I believe it’s named .

https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Alfie-Earls-Bar-Limited-661077

Advertisement