Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Scotts was a fairly modern buidling id be sure it has access for disabled

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

bigpink wrote: »

There was a pub in Shannon which opened in 2005/6 and all toilets were downstairs with no lift access.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

it had access to the ground floor and a grounf floor toilet, but given that its a multi level venue with games and machines across the levels having the token minimum access isn't much use if the venue wants to present itself as accessible to as broad a range of customers as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

There was a pub in Shannon which opened in 2005/6 and all toilets were downstairs with no lift access.

Where was that?

Was the bar upstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

easypazz wrote: »
    Where was that?

Was the bar upstairs?

Yes 2 bars at ground level with a nightclub/restaurant upstairs and toilets were at basement level.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    it had access to the ground floor and a grounf floor toilet, but given that its a multi level venue with games and machines across the levels having the token minimum access isn't much use if the venue wants to present itself as accessible to as broad a range of customers as possible.

I just assumed a new build like that had access

Just looking at the Level Up FB page now. Do people actually think this is a scam? The time and effort this crowd are putting in is fantastic and they haven't even opened the doors yet. Looks like a bit of red tape is delaying things. Understandable. I can see some of the old Scotts decor in their the pics. Be nice to have it open before Xmas though.

Just looking at the Level Up FB page now. Do people actually think this is a scam? The time and effort this crowd are putting in is fantastic and they haven't even opened the doors yet. Looks like a bit of red tape is delaying things. Understandable. I can see some of the old Scotts decor in their the pics. Be nice to have it open before Xmas though.

Are people thinking that why?I know very little about video games but from my brothers they seem to have invested alot in the machines
    Red tape or also if they dont have a bar background so just learning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hope Level Up is a success for those involved but I can’t see how it will stay afloat. Really should have been located in the city center.
    Best of luck though, I’ll certainly be popping in when it’s opened.

L-M wrote: »
    Hope not. Those wings I cannot understand how the place is still open. Like Aldi wings

I got bollocked for saying something similar here when they first opened a while back. The local Centra deli have better chicken.

• Advertisement

Strange to open a similar businesa so close if true

Are people thinking that why?I know very little about video games but from my brothers they seem to have invested alot in the machines
    Red tape or also if they dont have a bar background so just learning

They said they were opening early November which got many people excited. Its now mid December so questions are being asked. Could be an issue with the booze licence too. We don't know. Might ask them when they give us a boards.ie night freebie :pac:

Brother is in the bar game licence would sorted by now unless there is a sitting this week.
    Whoever is behind it must have plenty of money for all the machines etc but too miss Christmas is a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I drove past the other day and it looks as though there has been absolutely no work done on it. It seems a bit suspect to me tbh, especially the whole fundraising stuff.

Live beside there and they are doing a lot of work around the clock. Going home after 10 at night and place was lit up

The toilets were accessible but most of the bar were up a step. Could get a drink at the side of the bar. There was a lift for the other floors (not part of the bar). Hope if they are keeping the step up there will be some bit ramped up

Live beside there and they are doing a lot of work around the clock. Going home after 10 at night and place was lit up

Must be going to be open for Christmas so if working so late

Must be going to be open for Christmas so if working so late
    Not sure I say they are hoping to be. Now when i say round the clock i saw them there very early and late what they were doing i do not know . Say want it before New Year if not before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

They were there at half 9 last night, working very hard on the place. Can't wait for it to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I got bollocked for saying something similar here when they first opened a while back. The local Centra deli have better chicken.

You couldnt say a bad word about Badass or Mags in the place I work without being shouted down

They will need to keep the messy Mary I crowd out of it i see them going to the Old Stand they act like animals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭dav09

I drove past the other day and it looks as though there has been absolutely no work done on it. It seems a bit suspect to me tbh, especially the whole fundraising stuff.

It's a hard pill to swallow having to come on here defending ourselves with the amount of work and money put in to establish a premier venue for Limerick, and too when tonnes of venues used similar "fundraising" initiatives around the country successfully without scrutiny (we refunded everyone who donated, we're not asking for a cent before we open). If anyone would like to see proof of photos or anything at all please send me a DM rather than posting this as I don't want the venue's integrity ruined after all of the work has gone in. You can't please everyone, people are entitled to their opinion and no one has to support us if they dont want to. And with regards to the disabled toilet questions there really was none, I believe if there was one previously, it was ripped out (as the ground floor section has been made smaller). Legally, it had to be on the ground floor too which was a challenge. We've been hit with even larger costs too since we had the accessibility issues (beer pumps not working and had to be replaced, had to put in new fire safety system, unforeseen plumbing and electrical issues). I suppose some were to be expected coming in, but the sheer amount of issues along with red tape has been a challenge. Much of the steps/platforms were taken out too due to insurance issues.

As for everything else and to try spin this more positively, we've made a lot of progress over the past few weeks. I don't foresee the kitchen being ready initially/ over the next few days but it's not far off either. Our machines are all but ready to go and our bar is too, with pints flowing and setup fully complete almost. We moved our keg room as the initial draw was/ lines were 7/8 times longer than they currently are, ensuring good pints! We've a team of us working 7 days a week, most nights lately from early in the morning until 12 at night. Cheers to everyone who has supported us over the past few months and my sincerest apologies for the delay, it's been a massive challenge with a number of large hurdles, but the overwhelming support shown has been really appreciated and has helped keep us going. It seems mostly everything is sorted now, most red tape and whatnot resolved, and I believe as long as all of the last small pieces fall into place we'll be open this Friday!

Friday good stuff
    Thought Scotts was a well appointed bar didnt think wpukd need as much work
    So its all level now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Dav, don't apologise.
    It's better it's done right, than rushed and not at the level that ye clearly aspire too.

Having opened places in a rush, and opened places "right" I can hand on heart say looking back.
    That "right" saved me a lot of bother over opening the doors and fixing/learning/coping on the fly.

I am looking forward to seeing ye open, and giving custom.

Be it pre or post Christmas, I will be dropping in to play, to have a pint or 3 and then play some more.

Anyone questioning the effort or dedication being put in, just needs to follow level up of Insta or FB to see that this is very much a labour of love.
    And, much like Field of Dreams...
    I really do hope that when you have finished building it, we will come ;)

Friday good stuff
    Thought Scotts was a well appointed bar didnt think wpukd need as much work
    So its all level now

It's not all level, but it's as close as possible without having to drop down the upstairs bar.
    banie01 wrote: »
    Dav, don't apologise.
    It's better it's done right, than rushed and not at the level that ye clearly aspire too.

Having opened places in a rush, and opened places "right" I can hand on heart say looking back.
    That "right" saved me a lot of bother over opening the doors and fixing/learning/coping on the fly.

I am looking forward to seeing ye open, and giving custom.

Be it pre or post Christmas, I will be dropping in to play, to have a pint or 3 and then play some more.

Anyone questioning the effort or dedication being put in, just needs to follow level up of Insta or FB to see that this is very much a labour of love.
    And, much like Field of Dreams...
    I really do hope that when you have finished building it, we will come ;)

Thanks very much :)

We hope so too, it's been an enormous effort and more than we really anticipated. We seemed to have had very little luck with anything working in the building, so we've made sure to try and have everything done right this time around to make sure the venue will hit the ground running with minimal issues (even if our kitchen isn't quite ready on time, just need the doors open at this point). I too agree, and right is what we're going for. As for getting machines right, we've a lot in already maybe 40, we've another 20 or so lined up (3 still on the way from Japan, will be in over the Christmas hopefully), some which we'll put in and others we'll switch out over the next few months, constantly keeping the place fresh. Lots of choice on beers, stouts, larger, IPA too, all the regulars like Guinness, Heineken, Coors and craft too like Treaty City, Franciscan Well and a few others.

Thanks for the nice comments on Insta/Facebook, I run this side of it too so glad it could make an impression. We have some surprises in store too with a few machines which we haven't mentioned yet, people will have to come and see for themselves.

dav09 wrote: »
    It's not all level, but it's as close as possible without having to drop down the upstairs bar.

Thanks very much :)

We hope so too, it's been an enormous effort and more than we really anticipated. We seemed to have had very little luck with anything working in the building, so we've made sure to try and have everything done right this time around to make sure the venue will hit the ground running with minimal issues (even if our kitchen isn't quite ready on time, just need the doors open at this point). I too agree, and right is what we're going for. As for getting machines right, we've a lot in already maybe 40, we've another 20 or so lined up (3 still on the way from Japan, will be in over the Christmas hopefully), some which we'll put in and others we'll switch out over the next few months, constantly keeping the place fresh. Lots of choice on beers, stouts, larger, IPA too, all the regulars like Guinness, Heineken, Coors and craft too like Treaty City, Franciscan Well and a few others.

Thanks for the nice comments on Insta/Facebook, I run this side of it too so glad it could make an impression. We have some surprises in store too with a few machines which we haven't mentioned yet, people will have to come and see for themselves.

Well dav09 I will be in for a gander and to test the products. As for the accessibility as long as I can get a good pint/drink and sample the game I'll be there at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Can't wait me and my friend will be in Sunday :) and fare play for all the amazing work you guys put in can't wait to see it in person

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Barkade opened this evening, I wandered down to the shop beside them and was going to hop in for a quick drink and a go on Shinobi, but they had a power cut, they've some bad luck. Good luck with it Dav09

The cafe opposite where the rugby museum is going has reopened (was it Solo before?), selling Badger and Dodo coffee. No name out front yet

Thanks very much, unfortunately, we had a small hiccup with the power (we first lost emergency lights due to a rogue nail in the ceiling, and then the power cut to follow which probably took 4 or 5 hours to sort and put us behind). Once we got fully up and going there was a good buzz around the place and people seemed to be enjoying themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

dav09 wrote: »
    Thanks very much, unfortunately, we had a small hiccup with the power (we first lost emergency lights due to a rogue nail in the ceiling, and then the power cut to follow which probably took 4 or 5 hours to sort and put us behind). Once we got fully up and going there was a good buzz around the place and people seemed to be enjoying themselves.
    Ye have a lot to put up with on the Facebook page

• Advertisement

Cafe Solo is back open

Advertisement