Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

What is it about Cruises Street? A street that should be booming, along the lines of Shop Street in Galway, just has this eery feeling to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    What is it about Cruises Street? A street that should be booming, along the lines of Shop Street in Galway, just has this eery feeling to it.

It’s not the main route to anywhere people would be going.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

colm_mcm wrote: »

And most of the units are too small for modern retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

Traffic? Bad Parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

colm_mcm wrote: »

This is the problem, unless you're going to a specific shop on cruises St, you have no real need to walk through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

This is the problem, unless you're going to a specific shop on cruises St, you have no real need to walk through it.

It's funny, I've been living in Limerick for a few years and never even thought of Cruises St as any more than just a side street off O'Connell St. I've rarely found myself looking for anything along it.

The city itself unfortunately just isn't a great place to walk around and shop. Parking is always tricky to find and there's a lack of pedestrianized streets that are worth walking along. I'd much prefer to just head out to the Crescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

Its not a main street though and never was meant to be and is a side street,where shop street is the main street in galway we have a far more expansive city in general.
    Parking isn't an issue, there is plenty of car parks in the city that are reasonable and places close enough that you can park up and walk in from if you wanted.
    Traffic isnt terrible either, it could be improved but nothing horrendously offputting about it.
    I've never bought into the the units being too small either , for the most part they are a grand size and fit for purpose for most business i.e see my previous points on more expansive city and not being a main street , delivery access is probably the streets biggest flaw and is systematic across the city in general ,as well as in my opinion the units rental costs being overly excessive again though this is across the city also.
    each to their own but i'd much rather walk around the city than the crescent

with a small bit of street scaping i.e nicer paths either expand the path infront of penny's and add some planting boxs and benchs simialr to those on catherine street in some areas and it would make a world of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The Council should incorporate Cruises Street into the 2030 plan and stop trying to flog a dead horse.

The Council should incorporate Cruises Street into the 2030 plan and stop trying to flog a dead horse.

The buildings on the street are privately owned and in use. The 2030 plan is built on council owned property and derelict sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

MillField wrote: »
    Parking is always tricky to find

How so?

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    How so?

I never understood how people can think theres a parking issue in the city centre. Might not be able to park outside the door of where you want to go but you'll never be more than a 5 min walk away and to be honest I usually (80% of the time anyway) do find parking outside or very close to the door of wherever I want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I never understood how people can think theres a parking issue in the city centre. Might not be able to park outside the door of where you want to go but you'll never be more than a 5 min walk away and to be honest I usually (80% of the time anyway) do find parking outside or very close to the door of wherever I want to go.

And given the amount of parking garages it really isnt that tricky.

but but but you have to pay for parking, i much prefer to go the crescent

OFF with you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Mc Love wrote: »
    And given the amount of parking garages it really isnt that tricky.

but but but you have to pay for parking, i much prefer to go the crescent

OFF with you :rolleyes:

👀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I see that Stryker are recruiting. I'D join if only for the Christmas party!
    Some party all the same, 7 sacked and 23 suspended after it.
    Arrival wrote: »
    Is that actually true though or just rumours? Because the videos sent around on WhatsApp along with the screenshots of the stories weren't even related to the party, they were just random videos. And multiple girls slitting their wrists at a Christmas party? Some people would believe any gossip
    Before people start running around with the wrong info, it was Stryker in Cork and not Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

AxiomSL are opening an office in Castletroy - https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/509581/new-york-based-company-announces-creation-of-up-to-100-jobs-in-limerick.html?fbclid=IwAR1gx9eue7VUrQtQlkXOSPa_kdj06yvEpLJ_5jCBfTkCv2V8yvj28a8YPXY

Good news, but one would have to question the need to locate these jobs in an already-congested Castletroy, and not have them locate into the city centre..

AxiomSL are opening an office in Castletroy - https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/509581/new-york-based-company-announces-creation-of-up-to-100-jobs-in-limerick.html?fbclid=IwAR1gx9eue7VUrQtQlkXOSPa_kdj06yvEpLJ_5jCBfTkCv2V8yvj28a8YPXY

Good news, but one would have to question the need to locate these jobs in an already-congested Castletroy, and not have them locate into the city centre..

I agree, but what's currently available in the city for 100 staff? There's obviously loads of room in the Gardens, but NAC don't want anyone else in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Work going on in the restaurant unit beside Takishi on O'Connell Street, looks like they're gutting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Works ongoing in the larger corner unit of the Groody Centre which previously housed some short lived businesses.

Best of luck to whoever is going in there.

Work going on in the restaurant unit beside Takishi on O'Connell Street, looks like they're gutting it.

I believe a lady called Mags is opening a burrito business in there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Dont you ****ing dare play us like that.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Ass will rise with the moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

dashoonage wrote: »
    Dont you ****ing dare play us like that.......

The 100 year old burrito wars are back again. May God have mercy on us:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

tanit wrote: »
    The 100 year old burrito wars are back again. May God have mercy on us:p

Some say on a foggy night like tonight, if you listen carefully, you can hear the distant ding of Mag's microwaving tortillas!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Touristy merch type shop being stocked today in the old milkshake shop in Arthur’s Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

NOM Donuts & Gelato has closed on Roche's Street but is moving to 57 Thomas Street, between the Still House and Gloria Jeans Coffee. Apparently it'll be a full cafe offering at the new location.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Vanquished wrote: »
    NOM Donuts & Gelato has closed on Roche's Street but is moving to 57 Thomas Street, between the Still House and Gloria Jeans Coffee. Apparently it'll be a full cafe offering at the new location.

I think that's a good call on them. Plenty more foot traffic on that street too.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    I think that's a good call on them. Plenty more foot traffic on that street too.

...and that unit has been vacant since the mid-00s. Good to see it utilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

The vacant building beside Figaros and the buttery is opening as The Spitjack. Rotisserie and braserrie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

CosmicFool wrote: »
    The vacant building beside Figaros and the buttery is opening as The Spitjack. Rotisserie and braserrie
    Can only be good news that a business is opening there. Is that part of a chain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Can only be good news that a business is opening there. Is that part of a chain?

There is another one in Cork, not a chain but expanding.
    Nice breakfast in Cork, better available tho ;) Very Insta friendly spot so the buttery may not be too happy but there does seem to be enough business to go around lately.

Advertisement