Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

There is one in Cork of the exact same name, so you would imagine so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

banie01 wrote: »
    There is another one in Cork, not a chain but expanding.
    Nice breakfast in Cork, better available tho ;)Very Insta friendly spot so the buttery may not be too happy but there does seem to be enough business to go around lately.
    Unfortunately, those words don't inspire confidence! :D But I'll give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,772 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think I'm well past the point where people I've seen slagging off Instagram users vastly outnumber the people I have ever see taking a picture in a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

The breakfast menu looks really good http://www.thespitjack.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Breakfast.pdf

And they offer tea OR coffee with it. Unlike their neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

€6 for a bowl of porridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I ate in the cork outlet about 6 months ago and it was less than impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Are they harvesting the oats themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

10 euro for a breakfast roll containing a sausage, black pudding and bacon?!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

4.5 for a small bowl which is the exact same as their neighbours in H&L...

I never have breakfast out, that price for porridge is absolutely scandalous though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The pricing is hilarious but it’ll be jammers. Same as the buttery.

I was charged 2 euro in the buttery for having two eggs scrambled instead of the poached that was advertised.

Silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The pricing is hilarious but it’ll be jammers. Same as the buttery.

I was charged 2 euro in the buttery for having two eggs scrambled instead of the poached that was advertised.

Silly.

My other half refuses to go to H&L again, after they flat out refused to serve scrambled eggs instead of fried eggs. No explanation as to why, just a no, we can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,772 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Won't be tempting me away from Bakehouse 22 any time soon with those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

No wonder Limerick businesses are struggling when you have people criticising prices like the above. €6 for porridge is obviously a lot more expensive than home but it wouldn't have Apple Cinnamon, Pecans & Honey Drizzle and you'd need to make it and and serve it yourself.

There are things called overheads too. Ya know... rent, rates, wages and lights and heating. Nevermind the business might want to actually make a bit of profit at the end of the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

John_Mc wrote: »
    No wonder Limerick businesses are struggling when you have people criticising prices like the above. €6 for porridge is obviously a lot more expensive than home but it wouldn't have Apple Cinnamon, Pecans & Honey Drizzle and you'd need to make it and and serve it yourself.

There are things called overheads too. Ya know... rent, rates, wages and lights and heating. Nevermind the business might want to actually make a bit of profit at the end of the day.

Actually you could have all those things on your porridge at home as they're all readily available in the supermarket. If people think the prices are too high, then they won't frequent the establishment. And that will be the reason for failure (if it fails).

Quite obviously other businesses can cover their costs and make a profit while charging less. Otherwise people wouldn't be complaining about the price.

Actually you could have all those things on your porridge at home as they're all readily available in the supermarket. If people think the prices are too high, then they won't frequent the establishment. And that will be the reason for failure (if it fails).

By that logic, there's no need for restaurants at all as you can have it all at home for cost price?

I just checked there and the Buttery is charging €6 for porridge too by the way.
    Quite obviously other businesses can cover their costs and make a profit while charging less. Otherwise people wouldn't be complaining about the price.

Maybe the problem in Limerick is that people are inherently cheap and frugal and expect everything to be rock bottom prices regardless of the realities of running a business.

People are always complaining about the price of parking in the city when street parking is 50c for 30 minutes.

No wonder Limerick is full of phone repair and charity shops. People in Limerick don't spend money.

By that logic, there's no need for restaurants as you can have it all at home for cost price.

No. You made a statement that you couldn't get those things at home. That was complete rubbish. As is your new argument. People don't go to a restaurant for a slap up dinner every day. Lots of people do however get breakfast or lunch every day. They'll go where they can get good food and a decent price.
    Maybe the problem in Limerick is that people are inherently cheap and frugal and expect everything to be rock bottom prices regardless of the realities of running a business.

People are always complaining about the price of parking in the city when street parking is 50c for 30 minutes.

No wonder Limerick is full of phone repair and charity shops. People in Limerick don't spend money.

Not wanting to be ripped off, is not the same as not wanting to spend money. There are loads of successful cafes and restaurants in the city center. If Limerick people were 'cheap and frugal' as you claim, they wouldn't be open.

It's porridge, dress it up however you want. It'll all be made in a big pot with some cheap extras thrown on top, €6 is scandalous.

No. You made a statement that you couldn't get those things at home. That was complete rubbish. As is your new argument. People don't go to a restaurant for a slap up dinner every day. Lots of people do however get breakfast or lunch every day. They'll go where they can get good food and a decent price.

I didn't say you couldn't have those. I said you wouldn't. Read it back again there Mr. Pedantic.
    Not wanting to be ripped off, is not the same as not wanting to spend money. There are loads of successful cafes and restaurants in the city center. If Limerick people were 'cheap and frugal' as you claim, they wouldn't be open.

Head on over to Businesses Closing and reconsider that statement above. Also, if you're cheap and frugal then you'd consider it to be a rip-off wouldn't you. So it's really the same thing.

It's porridge, dress it up however you want. It'll all be made in a big pot with some cheap extras thrown on top, €6 is scandalous.

Scandalous. Absolutely scandalous :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Scandalous. Absolutely scandalous :rolleyes:

John would you have a restaurant in town by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

I didn't say you couldn't have those. I said you wouldn't.

Speak for yourself, if you eat porridge most days then you will get creative in order to keep it interesting. I use fresh apple slices covered in cinnamon walnuts or peacan and maple syrup. Usually switch it up week to week till it’s summer and time to switch to granola.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

I miss the old brunch cafe. 8.50 for a full Irish and coffee. I think a low cost breakfast option would be popular now if open. Haven’t been out to breakfast since I got stung for 33 euro for 2 breakfast and coffees in green onion

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

I was in Whitewater shopping centre , Newbridge at the weekend and it had Nandos, Ginos, Stradivarius, Pull & Bear, Mark & Spencers, Ginzeng, Dune London, Bershka etc

Newbridge has a population of circa 23k yet none of the above shops are in limerick

John would you have a restaurant in town by any chance?

No, I don't own a shop or restaurant or anything like. I'm an office worker. I'm just sick of having nothing nice in Limerick because they aren't sustainable because people are too tight.
    mdmix wrote: »
    Speak for yourself

Yes, that's precisely what I was doing.

No, I don't own a shop or restaurant or anything like. I'm an office worker. I'm just sick of having nothing nice in Limerick because they aren't sustainable because people are too tight.

I have no problem paying top money for top food, none whatsoever. What I do have an issue with is being ripped off and that menu is an absolute rip off. A tenner for a breakfast roll with one sausage, one rasher and one piece of pudding?

Limerick people are not tight. Businesses don't locate in the city center due to lack of footfall because not enough people live or work there. The Crescent is charging astronomical rents and businesses are fighting to get in there. Why? Because they have the footfall and people spending money.

I have no problem paying top money for top food, none whatsoever. What I do have an issue with is being ripped off and that menu is an absolute rip off. A tenner for a breakfast roll with one sausage, one rasher and one piece of pudding?

So presumably, you'd pay OK money for OK food?

Also, let's be accurate here. You don't know if it's one sausage or two or three, same with rasher and pudding. You're stating it as the minimum so you can moan about it being a tenner.

Here's the listing on the Menu:

Sausage, Jack McCarthy’s Black Pudding, Bacon,
    Ciabatta Roll, Smoked Tomato Ketchup, Tea or Coffee

A tea or coffee is €3 on its own in most places. Seems like OK value to me.
    Limerick people are not tight. Businesses don't locate in the city center due to lack of footfall because not enough people live or work there. The Crescent is charging astronomical rents and businesses are fighting to get in there. Why? Because they have the footfall and people spending money.

We lived in Dublin for 10 years and my wife assures me the Crescent is a terrible shopping centre with very little choice. There are no high end retail shops at all. Because Limerick people are tight.

I'm not going further with this conversation because you're not going to convince me that Limerick people, as a collective, are not tight and frugal and I'm not going to convince you otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Agreed, it’s 80c in the unsubsidised restaurant at work, inclusive of toppings.

• Advertisement

We lived in Dublin for 10 years and my wife assures me the Crescent is a terrible shopping centre with very little choice. There are no high end retail shops at all. Because Limerick people are tight.

I'm not going further with this conversation because you're not going to convince me that Limerick people, as a collective, are not tight and frugal and I'm not going to convince you otherwise.

Well you know if you love Dublin so much..............

Advertisement