Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

It's inscribed in the wall of The White House pub that
    "Limerick is frugal and mean"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Well you know if you love Dublin so much..............

It's very appealing alright. We were only discussing how we could well move back up there in a few years. We're only here for family reasons.

You'll still be on here talking about the same issues and asking yourself why all shops and restaurants are closed now and complaining about how you're sick of having porridge at home everyday.
    Treepole wrote: »
    It's inscribed in the wall of The White House pub that
    "Limerick is frugal and mean"

I'd say that's meant to be a joke or something. Not really funny though. Morto for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

John_Mc wrote: »
    Maybe the problem in Limerick is that people are inherently cheap and frugal and People in Limerick don't spend money.

There is a big huge difference between being cheap and being frugal.

It's actually a compliment to be considered frugal. Better for the environment too.

You give up so much of your life(time and energy that you'll never get back in exchange for money) to earn money. Why throw away your life/exchange your time just to buy stuff you don't really need to impress people you don't really know or like.

Conspicuous consumption is the worst, it is crude and terrible for the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

So presumably, you'd pay OK money for OK food?

Also, let's be accurate here. You don't know if it's one sausage or two or three, same with rasher and pudding. You're stating it as the minimum so you can moan about it being a tenner.

Here's the listing on the Menu:

Sausage, Jack McCarthy’s Black Pudding, Bacon,
    Ciabatta Roll, Smoked Tomato Ketchup, Tea or Coffee

A tea or coffee is €3 on its own in most places. Seems like OK value to me.

Judging by the rest of the menu where it states sausages, multiple sausages, I will assume it is a single sausage in the breakfast roll. I don't think it's too outlandish a jump to make really?

niallers1 wrote: »
    There is a big huge difference between being cheap and being frugal.

It's actually a compliment to be considered frugal. Better for the environment too.

You give up so much of your life(time and energy that you'll never get back in exchange for money) to earn money. Why throw away your life/exchange your time just to buy stuff you don't really need to impress people you don't really know or like.

Conspicuous consumption is the worst, it is crude and terrible for the environment.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I work hard and save hard and am happy to spend money on a nice meal out. You call that "crude" and terrible in the environment. I call that enjoying life and in doing so, supporting local businesses and the economy.

• Advertisement

Judging by the rest of the menu where it states sausages, multiple sausages, I will assume it is a single sausage in the breakfast roll. I don't think it's too outlandish a jump to make really?

I've highlighted an important word there. And what about that Tea/Coffee - you just going to ignore that important value-add?

I've highlighted an important word there. And what about that Tea/Coffee - you just going to ignore that important value-add?

€3 for a cup of tea is meant to be value?

Break this down.

A roll, a sausage, a rasher, a piece of pudding, some ketchup and a tea. €10.

Does that seem like good value? If idiots are willing to pay that much for such little ingredients then fair enough.

But €16 for that roll and some porridge is a rip off and trying to say otherwise and blaming limerick people is just wrong.

€3 for a cup of tea is meant to be value?

Break this down.

A roll, a sausage, a rasher, a piece of pudding, some ketchup and a tea. €10.

Does that seem like good value?

Doesn't matter if it is good value or not, it is the standard price for a cup of tea or coffee in Ireland. You know this already.

I pointed out the extra costs involved by a business in my original post. Ignore that if you want and focus on the ingredients and get enraged and scream scandal from the rooftops if that makes you feel better. It just helps proves my point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I work hard and save hard and am happy to spend money on a nice meal out. You call that "crude" and terrible in the environment. I call that enjoying life and in doing so, supporting local businesses and the economy.

See there you go again making things up. Nobody has said that you can't have a nice meal out. I've already said there's a big difference between going out for the occasional slap up meal and getting ripped off daily for breakfast/lunch.

And to repeat myself for a second time, Limerick is full of successful independent cafes and restaurants. If Limerick people were as mean as you claim, then those establishments wouldn't exist.

Some shops and restaurants will fail. That's how it works. But as you brought up the Limerick Business Closed thread earlier, I'll point out that this thread has 4 times as many posts and they're both open around the same length of time. Some businesses will close, but a lot of others are opening and staying opened.

Doesn't matter if it is good value or not, it is the standard price for a cup of tea or coffee in Ireland. You know this already.

I pointed out the extra costs involved by a business in my original post. Ignore that if you want and focus on the ingredients and get enraged and scream scandal from the rooftops if that makes you feel better. It just helps proves my point.

I actually wasn't aware of the price of tea/coffee as I very very rarely drink tea and never coffee.

And just out of curiosity I checked out the trip advisor reviews for their place in Cork and as expected, all style over substance. Pathetic portion sizes so I would say my assumptions of the breakfast roll are bang on the money.

This place will suit the insta crew for a little while until they move on to the next new shiny thing, then they will either have to lower prices or close the doors. Simple really.

Why would ANYONE pay more money for less food of a similar quality?

• Advertisement

See there you go again making things up. Nobody has said that you can't have a nice meal out. I've already said there's a big difference between going out for the occasional slap up meal and getting ripped off daily for breakfast/lunch.

Hold your horses for a minute there Cookie. If you read this particular post properly you'd see it was directed at a particular post above it talking about "conspicuous consumption" etc.
    And to repeat myself for a second time, Limerick is full of successful independent cafes and restaurants. If Limerick people were as mean as you claim, then those establishments wouldn't exist.

Really? Is it really full of successfull cafes and restaurants? I could name maybe 10 decent places for food in Limerick City. There are only a few and that's because there aren't enough people in Limerick willing to spend money on a brunch/lunch/dinner to support more than a few.

I would bed Cork/Galway and Dublin have a much higher number of restaurants per capita than Limerick.

All Limerick businesses have the same overheads, yet it's possible to get similar items as listed on this menu for less in other establishments mere meters away.

I would bed Cork/Galway and Dublin have a much higher number of restaurants per capita than Limerick.

Why not go out and get some numbers to prove your assertion so?

And just out of curiosity I checked out the trip advisor reviews for their place in Cork and as expected, all style over substance. Pathetic portion sizes so I would say my assumptions of the breakfast roll are bang on the money.

This place will suit the insta crew for a little while until they move on to the next new shiny thing, then they will either have to lower prices or close the doors. Simple really.

Why would ANYONE pay more money for less food of a similar quality?

I'm not defending this restaurant and the quality of the food. I'm saying €10 for a breakfast role and €6 for porridge isn't necessarily a rip off.

Why not go out and get some numbers to prove your assertion so?

'Cos I can't be bothered and don't really care about proving my assertion to you Cookie.

I'm not defending this restaurant and the quality of the food. I'm saying €10 for a breakfast role and €6 for porridge isn't necessarily a rip off.

But it is, it really is.

Again, I don't go out for breakfast but please explain the difference in a breakfast roll I could get down the road for a fiver with more food in it and this one for a tenner(7 if you want to take out the tea/coffee)?

'Cos I can't be bothered and don't really care about proving my assertion to you Cookie.

Ah, so your talking out your arse then. No worries.

Ah, so your talking out your arse then. No worries.

If you say so Cookie ;)

By the way, "your" is not the same as "you're".

If you say so Cookie ;)

By the way, "your" is not the same as "you're".

Picking up on a typo to score points? Really? Sad.

Picking up on a typo to score points? Really? Sad.

Would you ever get over yourself Cookie. I have better things to be doing than "scoring points" against someone on the internet.

You've 6000+ posts on here so clearly have too much time on your hands. You'd happily go back and forth on this for days and weeks, like you do in most other threads on this forum, and come to no clear conclusion.

That is the thing that's really sad in my opinion.

• Advertisement

So is there no difference between their breakfast roll and one I could pick up in a garage on the Dock Road? Bar the higher price and less food.

So is there no difference between their breakfast roll and one I could pick up in a garage on the Dock Road? Bar the higher price and less food.

Apples vs. Oranges though isn't it. One is in the city centre and the other is on the dock road. One is table service and the other is handed to you in a paper wrapping.

Would you expect to pay the same price in a michelin star restaurant as you would in the dock road?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

45 minute wait for a table in buttery on sunday morning, at the ar$e end of january. this place will do just fine.

Would you ever get over yourself Cookie. I have better things to be doing than "scoring points" against someone on the internet.

Hahahaha! Says they man who actually picked me up on a typo rather than back up his point.
    You've 6000+ posts on here so clearly have too much time on your hands. You'd happily go back and forth on this for days and weeks, like you do in most other threads on this forum, and come to no clear conclusion.

That is the thing that's really sad in my opinion.

I registered in 2010. I average at 1.83 posts a day. That hardly screams too much time on my hands. I've clearly touched a nerve.

But don't worry, I couldn't be arsed engaging with you anymore. Adios!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Apples vs. Oranges though isn't it. One is in the city centre and the other is on the dock road. One is table service and the other is handed to you in a paper wrapping.

Would you expect to pay the same price in a michelin star restaurant as you would in the dock road?

Spitjacks takeaway prices are the same as their eat-in.
    So it's not quite that simple a comparator.

If eat in pricing is the differentiation, Supermac's 20mtrs away do a great breakfast!
    Centra 50mtrs away also do a good one, both with seating areas.

Mama Lee's @15mtrs away also does a really nice breakfast with lovely staff and service(albeit a tad slow as they learn the ropes)
    All are considerably cheaper than Spitjack/The Buttery/H&L.

I've been to Spitjack in cork a couple of times and TBH 2nd visit was to give it a chance after being distinctly underwhelmed 1st time round.
    1st impression remained.

They do well in Cork, on a Sunday morning there is often a queue outside.
    It's on 1 of the busiest cafe and restaurant streets down there and does draw a crowd.

That's not in question, nor tbh honest is their pricing if the are as I suggested when I 1st posted regarding them, pitching themselves against The Buttery rather than what they might consider "greasy spoons".

You will if eating in, get a beautifully presented dish of quality ingredients.
    Whether or not that presents value to a customer Vis a Vis the Buttery or a greasy spoon really is a matter for the customer isn't it?

Their plates do make a lovely photo ;)

Not really, it's a breakfast roll vs a breakfast roll.

Spitjack isn't quite Michelin star now is it? What about the Mace just around the corner from where Spitjack will be? €4/5 I assume for a breakfast roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

3 pages of ye giving out. Give it a rest

Not really, it's a breakfast roll vs a breakfast roll.

Spitjack isn't quite Michelin star now is it? What about the Mace just around the corner from where Spitjack will be? €4/5 I assume for a breakfast roll.

You're contradicting yourself there.

My point about Michelin star is that it matters on the quality of the place you purchase from. And that justifies a difference in price.

Anyway, I'm done with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

When did this thread change from business opening to complaining about businesses opening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

When did this thread change from business opening to complaining about businesses opening

Indeed...I have zero evidence to back up this assertion, but I would imagine that a restaurant opening and charging 6 quid for a bowl of porridge is probably an indicator that the economy is doing quite well.

Next up...the monorail with integrated Nando's food offerings

Advertisement