Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Not really, it's a breakfast roll vs a breakfast roll.

Spitjack isn't quite Michelin star now is it? What about the Mace just around the corner from where Spitjack will be? €4/5 I assume for a breakfast roll.

to be fair, you can't compare a cooked to order, table service, clean restaurant cutlery provided, with a breakfast roll from mace.

the real issue, I think is that there are too many average restaurants/ cafes charging high end prices and not enough low or high end cafes/resturaunts. the cornstore and freddys are good quality restaurants that always deliver a good quality meal at a decent price, they're not amazing tho. the problem is every other crap restaurant in town seems to think these are the standard prices and then charge the same for cheap/substandard food. this new place (and hopefully a few more new places) might add a bit of competition and force a bit of change in the offering

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Indeed...I have zero evidence to back up this assertion, but I would imagine that a restaurant opening and charging 6 quid for a bowl of porridge is probably an indicator that the economy is doing quite well.

Next up...the monorail with integrated Nando's food offerings

Did you miss quote me or something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Lads get over it. I have to pay €7 for two slices of paper thin ham and have to go the restricted area of the supermarket to do so. I pay it because it's a treat to have it.

A fry with tea would be considered decent value at €10, what difference does it make if the fry is thrown in a roll. You can be guaranteed it isn't Pallas muck deep fried into oblivion either like what you get in Centra. And I say that having tried their outlet already, more SpitKack than Spitjack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Did you miss quote me or something

I was agreeing with you (I think) but my post was probably a bit clumsy.

Any new business opening in the city centre is a good thing, and if they think they can run a viable business based on charging €6 for porridge etc. then good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

John_Mc wrote: »
    We lived in Dublin for 10 years and my wife assures me the Crescent is a terrible shopping centre with very little choice. There are no high end retail shops at all. Because Limerick people are tight.

I'm not going further with this conversation because you're not going to convince me that Limerick people, as a collective, are not tight and frugal and I'm not going to convince you otherwise.
    :D:D:D Talk about a sweeping generalisation! I read an article in the Sunday Times last year that Limerick people have the most disposable income per capita outside of Dublin, I guess that doesn't mean they spend it though. However, in that same article, it also stated that the Limerick Brown Thomas was the company's 2nd best performing store (again outside of Dublin). Not exactly scientific, but is something of a rebuttal to your own anecdotal evidence. Apologies to the mods for going off thread, but had to respond to that rubbish above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

John_Mc wrote:
    Doesn't matter if it is good value or not, it is the standard price for a cup of tea or coffee in Ireland. You know this already.

You can get a pot of tea for between 2.20 & 2.50 in many places in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I was agreeing with you (I think) but my post was probably a bit clumsy.

Any new business opening in the city centre is a good thing, and if they think they can run a viable business based on charging €6 for porridge etc. then good luck to them.

I think you may have missed the point of my post. My point was that you can give an opinion on a place opening but the 2 and half (which I saw) of your circular argument was unnecessary and either of ye could have stopped it by not replying at any point. I think this is happening more in this thread in relation to places opening. I had no point of this particular restaurant. Given where it was opening at the places around it I am not expecting a cheep place. I agree with your pieces above bolded. That been said I have had great breakfast for a lot less then the prices I have heard for this place so I hope it is good. Even Hook & Ladder which would not be my favorite place

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Breakdown of costs associated with €6 porridge

Cost of porridge €.20

Cost of renting out seat to person with Mac Book and EarPods for 1 hour and 30 mins €5

Profit €.80

Total €6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

:D:D:D Talk about a sweeping generalisation! I read an article in the Sunday Times last year that Limerick people have the most disposable income per capita outside of Dublin, I guess that doesn't mean they spend it though. However, in that same article, it also stated that the Limerick Brown Thomas was the company's 2nd best performing store (again outside of Dublin). Not exactly scientific, but is something of a rebuttal to your own anecdotal evidence. Apologies to the mods for going off thread, but had to respond to that rubbish above.

Of course it's a generalisation - I said it in the sentence you quoted. That doesn't mean it isn't true in general though.

Look at the availability of luxury/high end shops and restaurants in Limerick = practically none besides Adare Manor and Dromoland which are both hotels. Besides BT there are no high end shops - even including the Crescent. This is a good indicator of the market in Limerick.

Even on this thread, people moaning about breakfast for a tenner being a ripoff :rolleyes:

Can you share a link to that article because I simply don't believe it. BT in Limerick is tiny and my wife keeps saying the selection is very poor compared to Galway and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Of course it's a generalisation - I said it in the sentence you quoted. That doesn't mean it isn't true in general though.

Look at the availability of luxury/high end shops and restaurants in Limerick = practically none besides Adare Manor and Dromoland which are both hotels. Besides BT there are no high end shops - even including the Crescent. This is a good indicator of the market in Limerick.

Even on this thread, people moaning about breakfast for a tenner being a ripoff :rolleyes:

Can you share a link to that article because I simply don't believe it. BT in Limerick is tiny and my wife keeps saying the selection is very poor compared to Galway and Cork.
    Unfortunately for my argument, it was in print form. It was an editorial-type piece, ironically enough focusing on the resurgence of Limerick. Can't remember who wrote it either, maybe Dan O'Brien. Could try searching for it online, maybe there was/is an online version. If I had known at the time that I'd be using it to defend Limerick, I would have saved it! :D

Anyway, on your point above. Selection is very subjective, and is not an indication of economic performance. Maybe your wife is just fussy. I've been to the Galway store and thought that had a ****e mens selection. That's no indication of how well it's doing, just means it's catering to a different audience with different tastes than me. No accountant/economist walks into a store and judges it's performance on selection, it will be judged on profit and, from what I read, Limerick was 2nd to Dublin. And I remember being pleasantly surprised by that fact, hence I can distinctly remember it. Ultimately, however, this doesn't mean that Limerick people are liberal with their money, it just offers evidence that some are.

Anyway, this thread has totally derailed. So let's just leave it there.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Well whatever about cork, the bt in Galway I am very familiar with and it is woeful and is definitely smaller than limerick. The men's section is easily half the size of limericks one with worse selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Fook me lads... is the 6 euro bowl of porridge the new burritos or what ?

ye need real problems lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

dashoonage wrote: »
    Fook me lads... is the 6 euro bowl of porridge the new burritos or what ?

ye need real problems lads.

5 pages on this now. People just need to get the **** over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The poor old French Toast seems to be missing any questioning, that’s €10 for bread dipped in egg and fried....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

L-M wrote: »
    The poor old French Toast seems to be missing any questioning, that’s €10 for bread dipped in egg and fried....

They do a yoke called Hong Kong french toast around the corner in mama Lee's!!!

French toast sandwich, with a peanut butter filling topped with golden syrup! Proper taste of diabetic deliciousness from it ;)
    It is €8 tho :(

Their porridge is only €5.50 tho!
    So I declare them the winner of the Bedford row and adjacent breakfast wars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Alonso77

banie01 wrote: »
    They do a yoke called Hong Kong french toast around the corner in mama Lee's!!!

French toast sandwich, with a peanut butter filling topped with golden syrup! Proper taste of diabetic deliciousness from it ;)
    It is €8 tho :(

Their porridge is only €5.50 tho!
    So I declare them the winner of the Bedford row and adjacent breakfast wars!

That place has been closed for weeks I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Alonso77 wrote: »

They open from 11am to 8pm. 6.30pm on a Friday and closed on a Saturday, strange hours.

I was in there on Monday!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Alonso77

banie01 wrote: »
    I was in there on Monday!?

Mama Lee's? I pass it every day going to work and there's a sign up on door saying closed for foreseeable future. Unless they forgot to take sign down.... Facebook page seems to confirm closure

Mama Lee's? I pass it every day going to work and there's a sign up on door saying closed for foreseeable future. Unless they forgot to take sign down.... Facebook page seems to confirm closure

Yep at @12.45, that's mad!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note:
    Lads can we get back on track to "Businesses Opening". If you want, go create a "Price of " thread or something.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14 leo505050

Finally a mod. 5 pages of off topic drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Touristy merch type shop being stocked today in the old milkshake shop in Arthur’s Quay.

Turns out this is Paddy Wagon moving into a bigger space. They were next to Gloria Jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

leo505050 wrote: »

Two pages on my account :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

A page in view :)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Finally, after 5 pages someone reported it. And it wasn't you. If you have an issue with a post, please report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

MarkR wrote: »

Finally, after 5 pages someone reported it. And it wasn't you. If you have an issue with a post, please report it.

It's going off topic now with comments about going off topic. Does this mean I've got to report my own post?
    :D

turbbo wrote: »
    It's going off topic now with comments about going off topic. Does this mean I've got to report my own post?
    :D

Mod Note: No it doesn't, MarkR is a mod. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

Work going on in the old Ladbrokes on upper William street, looks like a restaurant or deli as there's a wood fired pizza oven in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Billy's Barbers after moving to across from Angel Lane

Advertisement