Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

I see Strokers/Tourloughs/Jack Reas pub on upper william street is back open

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Planning permission to turn the former Atlantic Homecare unit in Childers Road Retail Park into two smaller units.

I wonder are they doing this in the hope of attracting new tenants or do they already have them lined up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Planning permission to turn the former Atlantic Homecare unit in Childers Road Retail Park into two smaller units.

I wonder are they doing this in the hope of attracting new tenants or do they already have them lined up?

antantics idea of putting the garden center at the rear of the premises hit their best customers bad, as the best ones are elderly, so having to drag themselves that far and then back really put them off.

Now that the M&S problem has been solved (sorta)...the local media has found a replacement rumour...:rolleyes:

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/limerick-council-could-approach-john-lewis-to-plug-m-s-gap-1-5509121

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

sioda wrote: »
    I see Strokers/Tourloughs/Jack Reas pub on upper william street is back open

I see they have a few gay pride flags flying and they are still using the name "Strokers", unfortunate or a clever marketing ploy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

There seems to be a lot of coffee shops around the city centre these days, it's great going around trying them all out:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Now that the M&S problem has been solved (sorta)...the local media has found a replacement rumour...:rolleyes:
    wait what? M&S is not coming to Limerick after all?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    wait what? M&S is not coming to Limerick after all?

It is still lined up for the Parkway valley site.

It is just that some folk in the city council are trying to talk as if they have a chance of changing where M&S want to go, plus there is already a Limerick Leader article about the notion of John Lewis opening their first ever Irish branch in Limerick despite the same article saying that no negotiations at all have taken place with regards them coming to Limerick.

Would imagine that you can add it to the now very long list of retail names that have been thrown out by the City Council as being linked with opening in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

It's limerick - only dunnes will be allowed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

So who wants to start the first official Apple Store in the Republic to open up in Limerick or should we keep that for if one of us gets onto the council.

They are just plucking names out of the sky now.

At least they are starting to do something with Crusies Street finally. I always felt it could be made into a nice street for night time shopping. A few nice late night cafes and restaurants and it could be a great little street to go to. It needs a total revamp though. Something as simple as putting lights up the whole street from one side to the other like the way the christmas lights are up on O'Connell Street and William Street would give it a much warmer and inviting look and feel.

New restaurant, Brimstone, opening in Riverpoint!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

where's riverpoint??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭moby2101

Is that in place of the Glasshouse?

Yep! Hopefully this one lasts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

what, like over 3 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

moby2101 wrote: »
    Is that in place of the Glasshouse?

Is the Glasshouse closed? Never heard that!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is the Glasshouse closed? Never heard that!

It's been closed for some months now. It struggled in that location and the road works along the quay didn't help business either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

A polish deli has opened near Aldi on the childers road, next to Amphibian King. Lovely stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

How long has Amphibian King been in Limerick ???

Haven't heard anything about it until now :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

opening soon on lower mallow street is a shop similar to build a bear ( think it will be called Teddy Bear Kingdom ) anyway same premise you go in choose a bear, stuff it and pick out what clothes you want on it etc

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cartman78 wrote: »
    How long has Amphibian King been in Limerick ???

Haven't heard anything about it until now :mad:

About 6 weeks, I think. Maybe less.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

campo wrote: »
    opening soon on lower mallow street is a shop similar to build a bear ( think it will be called Teddy Bear Kingdom ) anyway same premise you go in choose a bear, stuff it and pick out what clothes you want on it etc

Seems like a mad place to open a shop like that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Be perfect in the Cresent as a small shop stall

Work going on in the old Gasworks restaurant and in Clancys

ABEasy wrote: »

Would imagine that the low (ish) rent and rates are playing a big part. Might also be hoping that the creches nearby will bring in some business along with being close to the play area in the park.

Is a very niche business though, and I would have to wonder if Limerick city is the right city for it in terms of population and footfall.

Hope they survive and thrive, but methinks the Crescent Shopping centre would have been the best option for such a niche business, then again the aforementioned rates and rents then come heavily into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would imagine that the low (ish) rent and rates are playing a big part. Might also be hoping that the creches nearby will bring in some business along with being close to the play area in the park.

Is a very niche business though, and I would have to wonder if Limerick city is the right city for it in terms of population and footfall.

Hope they survive and thrive, but methinks the Crescent Shopping centre would have been the best option for such a niche business, then again the aforementioned rates and rents then come heavily into play.

Nail on head, I know the people opening it and all about rates and rent plus as you say they hope that because they are close to the park etc they might get some footfall

But other then that expect to see a guy dressed as a teddy bear going around town letting people know where the shop is

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Nail on head, I know the people opening it and all about rates and rent plus as you say they hope that because they are close to the park etc they might get some footfall

But other then that expect to see a guy dressed as a teddy bear going around town letting people know where the shop is

Actually, parking isn't that bad for a quick run into the shop in that neck of the woods. Easier than down town.

If the cost is manageable then customers will come.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

fair play to them. nice to see shops making an effort, any shop that goes that bit extra to actually create a customer base i applaud, and i hope that they succeed

phog wrote: »
    Actually, parking isn't that bad for a quick run into the shop in that neck of the woods. Easier than down town.

If the cost is manageable then customers will come.

Limerick city has some of the worst footfall figures in the country, so is probably the last city in Ireland, other than maybe Waterford, that I would rely on for spur of the moment customers.

As I said earlier, that location screams out trying to get early business from the Creche and park users, and growing from there. If I were them I would be getting in touch with creches and primary schools in order to see if something could be organised with regards to offering some sort of incentive (most likely a discount) to the parents of children in those facilities.

Would also be getting in touch with other local businesses and the like to see if any wanted custom bears made. If the bears and their outfits were distinctive enough then other companies might want them to use as gifts. Might even be a small market for a pub/club to want them as prizes etc. Maybe even see if local and not so local sporting clubs wanted bears decked out in sporting colours, could even be a demand for bears to sell in tourist type shops

Actually if they had the room, then getting themselves listed as a tourist attraction might be no bad thing. Tourists could go there and get a bear decked out in Limerick colours (or colours of another county) as a nice reminder of their holiday, and the hands on aspect of stuffing the bear etc., brings a crafts element to it that many tourists like.

They should make use of as much social media as possible as that would be a low cost way to get their brand out.

Really hope they make it because I know first hand how much goes into making your own business work, and I have nothing but respect for anyone who makes a honest tilt at going it themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

ABEasy wrote: »

it could be a short term lease 3 months maybe, just past xmas.

Advertisement