Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The Snipe wrote: »

Most those buildings were in perfect nick, there was a historian went about when first stage of planning and buying was going through and she was going hell for leather trying to preserve everything there that was listed, (small structural things even down to certain screws). The only real one that I know of along that street that has any real architectural damage is the Spirit Store at bank place there at the top of the road and thats just missing everything, including a floor.

(My Dad worked in Glynn's for years, so he told me a few stories about what was going there a few months ago)

It borders on criminal the way those buildings on Patrick/Rutland/Ellen Street were left to rot and almost collapse over the past number of years!

These are some of the earliest examples of Georgian townhouses in Newtown Pery dating from the mid 18th century. They're over 250 years old!

The rate of decline and deterioration since the buildings were vacated has been stark. To such an extent that urgent intervention was required! It's almost inconceivable that many of the buildings were left exposed to the elements through open windows and rooflights. Although this is a common tactic employed to accelerate the degradation of at risk structures! We know there was a lot of wrangling in the planning process of the opera centre over whether the buildings should be preserved or not!

Witnessing this sorry saga it's little wonder that Limerick has lost so much of its architectural heritage over the years!

It's a free country. People are entitled to support whatever team they like. Believe it or not there are people who support a LOI team AND an EPL team. It's not mutually exclusive.

Indeed it is. However it doesn't make it any less sad! Such people would be far better off channeling their energy, support and money in to their actual local team!

Unfortunately you'll find those who genuinely support both an English team and an Airtricity league team are quite thin on the ground.

Anyway we're rambling way off topic here!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    That bar on Ellen St beside the garden center. It was closed well before the Opera center plans.

The greatest pub Limerick ever had.

And no that is not up for debate :pac:

Any new pub going in there that is not laid out just as Quins was shall be spat upon (figuratively of course:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats the new pub on patrick st like??

Kess73 wrote: »
    The greatest pub Limerick ever had.

And no that is not up for debate :pac:

Any new pub going in there that is not laid out just as Quins was shall be spat upon (figuratively of course:D)

When and why did Quins close? It seems to have been shut even before the opera centre saga kicked off.

I've never been inside but I've seen photos. It looks epic. Like stepping back in time!

It would be great to have it opened up to the public again. Sadly there are few enough examples in Limerick of business premises with their original interiors still intact. The likes of the old Todds's, Cannocks and Cruises Hotel have unfortunately been lost for my generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Vanquished wrote: »
    When and why did Quins close? It seems to have been shut even before the opera centre saga kicked off.

I've never been inside but I've seen photos. It looks epic. Like stepping back in time!

It would be great to have it opened up to the public again. Sadly there are few enough examples in Limerick of business premises with their original interiors still intact. The likes of the old Todds's, Cannocks and Cruises Hotel have unfortunately been lost for my generation.

Jaysus it has been a fair few years since they should. Was at closed door goodbye night, and yes it was an epic pub in it's time.

Used to have great craic with the lads working there every summer I was in Ireland (especially Christy as he was a die hard Man U supporter and my scouse accent had him making a beeline for me:)), and I had hook ups, break ups, good times, bad times, weird times etc all under that roof.

Best thing about the place was how you got so many folk that were so different in there each and every night. You got pretty much every element in there and nary a bit of hassle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Kess73 wrote: »
    You got pretty much every element in there and nary a bit of hassle.

ain't that the truth. used be a great spot. My first ever pint in limerick city was in quins, when two of us, probably around 16, proudly produced our fare cards(Train discount id cards with DOB on them) to the bouncer. He took one luck at them, said lads if ye're going to use these cards at least split up, they both have today's date as the issue date on them and the same DOB. He then opened the door for us and let us in. Drank many a pint in there, usually on the way to termights. always fondly remembered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

A new second hand store 'Lucky Lane' has opened in what appears to be the roofed back yard of a building on Catherine St., beside Pigtown Hall. It looks to be more upcycled stuff than a charity shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Exile on Grafton St.

Regeneron have confirmed that 300 jobs by 2016 for the old Dell plant in Raheen.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/jobs-pharmaceutical-limerick-1228119-Dec2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

From the Limerick Leader
    Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Portuguese-inspired chicken restaurant Nando’s has denied claims the firm will open a branch in Limerick at the present time.

This comes after a rogue Facebook page was set up, claiming the restaurant, which has a number of outlets in Dublin and Cork, was preparing to open at the Childers Road retail park.

Last year, Nandos Ireland managing director Alan Syman said they were looking to open in Limerick and Galway, but it probably will not happen until after the start of 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Dang love Nandos

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

pigtown wrote: »
    A new second hand store 'Lucky Lane' has opened in what appears to be the roofed back yard of a building on Catherine St., beside Pigtown Hall. It looks to be more upcycled stuff than a charity shop.

We went in there yesterday and was pleasently surprised. Yes, its more like its upcycled stuff. The furniture was particularly nice, and reasonably priced too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Regeneron have confirmed that 300 jobs by 2016 for the old Dell plant in Raheen.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/jobs-pharmaceutical-limerick-1228119-Dec2013/

Just noticed the bit Subject to a successful permit, construction and refurbishment is anticipated to begin next year for a two-year period, generating up to 600 temporary construction jobs

600 construction jobs would be massive for the region, but surely that number can't be correct? What could the possibly be planning to do to the building that would need that many workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Looks like Apache Pizza are opening a store where Mizzoni's was! The last pizza I had from town wasnt great, so I hope they do a better one when it opens!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Mc Love wrote: »
    Looks like Apache Pizza are opening a store where Mizzoni's was! The last pizza I had from town wasnt great, so I hope they do a better one when it opens!

Is apache closed in town? I went to order from there last night and they weren't listed on the apache website and on just eat it said they could not deliver to any address I imputed. I haven't noticed it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

Jofspring wrote: »
    Is apache closed in town? I went to order from there last night and they weren't listed on the apache website and on just eat it said they could not deliver to any address I imputed. I haven't noticed it closed.

Had the same problem recently, had to ring them, pizza was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

noticed they seemed to move one unit over into where the lobster pot was.
    Did that happen along time ago? Looks odd as sign is over both stores but left side one is closed down.

phill106 wrote: »
    noticed they seemed to move one unit over into where the lobster pot was.
    Did that happen along time ago? Looks odd as sign is over both stores but left side one is closed down.

Lobster pot was on the left, Apache was always on the right, beside the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

What was the name of the place that was where Apache was/is???... The name is evading me... Was the first late nite fast food place in the city, always scraps outside there!!

martyc5674 wrote: »
    What was the name of the place that was where Apache was/is???... The name is evading me... Was the first late nite fast food place in the city, always scraps outside there!!

Friar tucks?

• Advertisement

Is Mizzoni gone already? Never got to try a wagon wheel :(

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

Just noticed the bit Subject to a successful permit, construction and refurbishment is anticipated to begin next year for a two-year period, generating up to 600 temporary construction jobs

600 construction jobs would be massive for the region, but surely that number can't be correct? What could the possibly be planning to do to the building that would need that many workers?
    It sounds like a lot but with a €270million budget, a 400,000 square foot facility and a 12 hectare site that number seems about right!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Is Mizzoni gone already? Never got to try a wagon wheel :(

Yeah sure they never took advantage of it or anything, never distributed fliers, advertised etc - it was their own downfall! If I had the money I would take it over and give it a fair whack!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Indira Charity Shop and Dougs Fishing Shop have opened on Wickham St.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Jofspring wrote: »

Apache is still there, got a pizza delivered from it off Just-Eat yesterday.

For some reason, the Limerick restaurant does not appear on the apache website though. Strange...

New café opening soon called The Soup Café.

I wonder if that's the place that's opening on Harvey's Quay/Lower Bedford Row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

A notice in the window of where Nestors used to be advertising for staff for a new Thai/Indian place.

Planning permission for change of unit on Corbally Road from retail to café/bakery. I suspect it may be the shop next door to O'Driscoll's.

Person applying for planning is Andrew Moloney which is also the name of the person who owns/runs Hook and Ladder which is soon to open on Sarsfield Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Planning permission for change of unit on Corbally Road from retail to café/bakery. I suspect it may be the shop next door to O'Driscoll's.

Person applying for planning is Andrew Moloney which is also the name of the person who owns/runs Hook and Ladder which is soon to open on Sarsfield Street.

Would be nice to see something going into that unit, its been idle far too long..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Midnight Shadow

Agreed...idle way too long

Advertisement